Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic Forces looks dope I don't understand the hate it's getting. Can't say I'm feeling the name though. I *am* starting to get a little nervous about Sonic Mania tho since we've only seen four worlds and it just keeps getting delayed...but then again the tax man hasn't failed us yet. Unless SEGA fucks everything up somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Mania's delay is probably to polish up the Switch port.

As for forces I dunno, looks like Generations. Like a lot like Generations, except the water is sand.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The enemy design is very interesting...Not-Badniks.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic Forces looks dope I don't understand the hate it's getting. Can't say I'm feeling the name though. I *am* starting to get a little nervous about Sonic Mania tho since we've only seen four worlds and it just keeps getting delayed...but then again the tax man hasn't failed us yet. Unless SEGA fucks everything up somehow.

You've got it backwards. Mania looks dope, Forces is the one you should be concerned about given Sega's track record.

Paused
Oct 24, 2010
Near the end of that Forces trailer does Sonic do a drop dash from Mania?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kelp Plankton posted:

seems like the same kind of problem Sonic 4's music had, it's made by someone who's just familiar with chiptunes and thinks they can throw together whatever instruments and it works, instead of someone who actually makes chiptune music as their primary thing

also misses the Genesis soundchip vibe entirely

Speaking of 4 I swear I hear some of Splash Hill in there.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Considering how loud it is, the way it just starts out of nowhere and how completely out of place it sounds, I feel pretty drat certain that that is just some oddly chosen placeholder music, probably by the YouTube channel in question.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Augus posted:

You've got it backwards. Mania looks dope, Forces is the one you should be concerned about given Sega's track record.

I dunno, Sega's track record seems fine?

Sonic Unleashed had awesome day stages
Sonic Colors was pretty good throughout although I could've used less 2D sections
Sonic Generations was amazing except for the final boss
Sonic Lost World was...eh, fine, they tried really hard to ape Super Mario Galaxy and didn't do so well imo, but some of the autorun stages and the mostly-3D ones where you can spindash forever I had a lot of fun with
Sonic Boom wasn't made by Sega/Sonic Team

So far all we've seen of Forces looks like it'll be Colors/Generations/Unleashed style, which were all pretty good games

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Kelp Plankton posted:

also misses the Genesis soundchip vibe entirely
They could use some Landon Podbielski.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Holy poo poo at that music. Also why does this Green Hill Zone remake look worse than 6 year old Generations' remake?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i haven't heard this guy's stuff before but yeah he nails it

this is the kind of quality they should be targeting, not Sonic 4's garbage

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Xad posted:

I dunno, Sega's track record seems fine?

Sonic Unleashed had awesome day stages
Sonic Colors was pretty good throughout although I could've used less 2D sections
Sonic Generations was amazing except for the final boss
Sonic Lost World was...eh, fine, they tried really hard to ape Super Mario Galaxy and didn't do so well imo, but some of the autorun stages and the mostly-3D ones where you can spindash forever I had a lot of fun with
Sonic Boom wasn't made by Sega/Sonic Team

So far all we've seen of Forces looks like it'll be Colors/Generations/Unleashed style, which were all pretty good games

Ehh kinda? They're definitely good compared to the Heroes to 06 era but there's a lot missing. I really don't like Unleashed's day levels, they rely pretty much entirely on the dumb spectacle and actually aren't much fun to play. Colors had okay levels and Generations even good, but the Boost gameplay is pretty shallow and I don't see them making any changes that make it more fresh. Not to mention the few bits of 3D gameplay we've seen in Forces look pretty underwhelming, reminiscent of the filler bits in Colors where you just had an empty 3D road bridging the 2D platformer segments. I disliked the Classic Sonic gameplay in Generations and I can't say this video shows much improvement. What's the deal with the yellow springs that bounce the player upwards whenever they hit a small hurdle on the track? Can they not be trusted to jump?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Augus posted:

What's the deal with the yellow springs that bounce the player upwards whenever they hit a small hurdle on the track? Can they not be trusted to jump?
Haha I seriously had the same thought. To be honest, springs were obnoxiously over-used in most of the 2d games too.

And yeah this isn't really what I want to see out of Forces. I'd like to see a little more hybridization, ideally with some clean up, of the Heroes era 3d gameplay into the boost mechanics. Which isn't going to happen, but another Generations will still be a fine game.

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
Well considering that most of the 2D Sonic games were made by Dimps that's an accurate statement (they are bad).

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic Forces looks dope I don't understand the hate it's getting.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Every Dimps Sonic game pre-Sonic 4 was average at the very worst. I'm sorry but that's canon.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

all i wanna know is why do they insist on using the sonic cd jump noise

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's the highest quality jump noise.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Maybe there's a twist? Maybe Eggman destroys the place or something, so we get an act 2 that's different?

I definitely heard a bit of Splash Hill in that music too

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
I wonder if the Dimps games could have actually been good if they weren't on systems with frustratingly small, low-res screens. A Sonic Advance 2 or Sonic Rush where you could have a chance of seeing the pits coming up sounds like fun.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Sonic Advance 3 suffers a lot because of the screen size, you're supposed to explore the levels but can't see poo poo to explore. The game actually becomes more fun if you just look at a level map first.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I noticed as the stage went on it started to turn into a desert. That was pretty neat.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jun 4, 2018

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
yeah the reason the stage looks worse than generations is that it's being desertified

the music is legit bad though, it sounds incredibly overproduced

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
I will defend Lost Labyrinth Act 2 for Sonic 4's music though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrfyOre6nlY

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Quantum Mechanic posted:

I will defend Lost Labyrinth Act 2 for Sonic 4's music though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrfyOre6nlY

It's a decent melody, but the synths they use are still garbage that hurts the ears

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
dimps neogeo pocket sonic game was pretty good.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Sonic Advance 1 was pretty good too. It had fairly normal Sonic level design when Advance 2 largely wanted you to go fast all the time and you fell into instant death pits because you couldn't see what was ahead of you, or Advance 3 where the levels were worse than Sonic CD levels of labyrinthine.

But yeah, really not digging Sonic Forces so far. For one, I'm loving tired of seeing Green Hill Zone for the millionth time even if it is being transformed into something else, for two the physics just don't look right in a way I can't put my finger on but it's certainly a regression from the Classic Sonic gameplay of Generations which itself wasn't quite perfect but close enough, the music sounds awful to the point I'm hoping it's a placeholder and just visually it looks really ugly and too busy. It looks worse than Generations did. The level design doesn't even look good either, I'm noticing a lot of boosters before loops and such which ties into the physics problem in that it seems like a band aid solution in the hopes nobody will notice that the momentum is off because you're being artifically boosted through them.

Considering this game was delayed for so long to make sure it's a good Sonic game, so far I am not impressed one bit. Maybe Modern Sonic and the new third gameplay style can salvage it but given what we've seen, I'm not optimistic.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I didn't really enjoy the classic sections in Generations. 2D gameplay feels awkward in that engine and Forces looks even worse with the springs at the end of every platform.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

This looks, and sounds, absolutely terrible.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
:shrug: I have no problems with it.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The music is clearly placeholder added by the YouTuber in question, but regardless, the continued stodginess of Classic Sonic's gameplay shows a disappointing lack of progression on Sonic Team's part. The music and locales, I'm sure they'll have those wrapped up nicely, but even with time on their hands I'm not seeing any extra polish on the core mechanics.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I think the reason the level looks less appealing than in Sonic Generations is because it seems overly bright and saturated, hopefully that's still up for tweaking.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The music is clearly placeholder added by the YouTuber in question, but regardless, the continued stodginess of Classic Sonic's gameplay shows a disappointing lack of progression on Sonic Team's part. The music and locales, I'm sure they'll have those wrapped up nicely, but even with time on their hands I'm not seeing any extra polish on the core mechanics.

This is my problem with it, it doesn't look any better than Generations and that came out 6 years ago. In fact, it somehow looks worse.

It looks lazy.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

The music is clearly placeholder added by the YouTuber in question,

So placeholdery Tomoya Ohtani confirmed it was his on Twitter.
Which is baffling, since he's usually pretty good.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Can we get past Green Hill already? It's iconic, but let Emerald Hill or something have a shot.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I think I take back my high hopes for Forces, at least the classic levels, after watching that on my TV instead of my phone. There were many many times in that video where sonic immediately comes to a complete dead stop after jumping, as well as a part near the end where he goes through a huge speed section and then the speed just suddenly drops by >50% for no reason while running. Minor nitpick but holy lol is sonic's hitbox for ring pick-up hilariously huge.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Stink Terios posted:

So placeholdery Tomoya Ohtani confirmed it was his on Twitter.
Which is baffling, since he's usually pretty good.

Seriously? That's crazy. Ohtani did great work on Lost World and Runners, and then turns around and makes this which sounds nothing like he's done before at all.

I can only guess he was told to make something that sounded "retro" for Green Hill and went in the Jun-Senoe-Sonic-4 Route and completely missed the point. Which...is still weird, since Ohtani already did the 8-bit stuff for Sonic colors and those were mostly fine too.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

beep by grandpa posted:

Sonic the Hedgehog is a good man with a rough past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I really don't care for any of the Dimps Sonic games past Sonic Advance 1. Advance 2, 3 and the Rush games are basically "hold right \ boost and know where to jump in advance." I know people often forget this, but in the old Sonic games, you're not in "gotta go fast" mode all the time and there's actually platforming and stuff. Going fast is basically a reward for playing the level right.