Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I remember when it first went on the schedule everyone was worried it would be a processional with no passing. I can't remember a race that hasn't had loads of good moves, though.

In all honesty there wasn't a whole lot of passing, but the passing that happened was pretty good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WindyMan posted:

Are there many tracks where taking the outside line is a legit passing strategy, like turn 5 at Barber? Seems as if going outside there is almost as successful as going inside, especially with turn 8 going back to the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bLSNIfO6LM

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

i think it's awesome that a race in the middle of NASCAR country that does well attendance wise.

What a great venue for IndyCar.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

IOwnCalculus posted:

I remember when it first went on the schedule everyone was worried it would be a processional with no passing. I can't remember a race that hasn't had loads of good moves, though.

I remember the worries. It was a motorcycle track, too narrow in the turns, the turn 8/9 chicane would be single file, blah blah blah. Turns out the track has many places to pass and is pretty forgiving towards aggressiveness (turn 5/6) though can still bite you if you overdo it. It's also got a couple of spots that I feel make the best passing zones: Medium-speed corner, longish straightaway, hard braking zone into a tight corner.

A driver's race track, that Barber is.

Zanardi passed Herta on the inside twice in two corners, so not quite!!!

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

God Zanardi owns.

I like the fact he's still racing in the Blancpain series and then kicking people's asses in the paralympics.

Also Colton Herta being a badass at Indy Lights is a welcome development.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FuzzySkinner posted:

God Zanardi owns.

I like the fact he's still racing in the Blancpain series and then kicking people's asses in the paralympics.

Also Colton Herta being a badass at Indy Lights is a welcome development.

Do you know if Alex is visiting that F4 driver? I hope he is.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

iospace posted:

Do you know if Alex is visiting that F4 driver? I hope he is.

I'd bet money he does. That was an absolutely horrific accident, and the way it unfolded with the live onboard made it even moreso. I didn't want to watch it a second time. :smith:

I wonder though, is that a kind of accident that's pretty much impossible to design a stronger/safer car for? It's like that kid is lucky to escape with just the loss of his legs. It was basically a full-speed, nose-first T-bone into a wall, which short of a rollcage for the legs isn't something I can imagine formula cars can get better protection for.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

FartingBedpost posted:

The AJ Foyt cars are tragic.

I really thought the Chevy switch would help. I guess not.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Basticle posted:

:rolleyes: shut the gently caress up

Well, there is some truth to that statement. F1 washouts have found success Stateside.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gee Scotty likes coming second here don't he?

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

KingShibby posted:

In all honesty there wasn't a whole lot of passing, but the passing that happened was pretty good

I agree with this.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Well, there is some truth to that statement. F1 washouts have found success Stateside.

The only thing is define "washout"

Example? It feels like Rossi could have been successful in F1 had he actually been given a competitive ride. He always seem to outperform in Marrussia but obviously that team died off. I then look at a guy like Lance Stroll and see him under preform with a historically good team in the form of Williams.

Like I get it if the guy just flat out sucked when given the chance at Mercedes, Red Bull, Williams, Renault, McLaren, or Ferrari. But when you're running backmarker? The odds are so incredibly small that you'll be able to actually succeed is pretty small. Guys like Kimi have pulled it off via running great laps before with a backmarket,, but I imagine a lot of that has to do with politics versus a guy like say the late Justin Wilson.

Plus it's all about playing politics. Lot of drivers grow tired of that and go "gently caress it", run sports cars, touring cars or Indy.

e: Same thing with Cup really. JJ Yeley ran the 18 for Gibbs. Couldn't do anything with it, and is now riding with Tommy Baldwin. Hornish Jr. was in the 12 and 22 for Penske. Same story. But I imagine there's a world of difference between guys like those and guys that LASTCAR could rattle off as "one offs" who have never had a shot at a decent Cup ride.

FuzzySkinner fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 24, 2017

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Plus it's all about playing politics. Lot of drivers grow tired of that and go "gently caress it", run sports cars, touring cars or Indy.

It's really dumb to call most drivers "F1 washouts" partly because of this, but mostly because there are only so many seats to go around to a metric fuckton of drivers that could competently fill them. That someone isn't in the top 25 or whatever in terms of not being in an F1 seat doesn't make them second tier, in the same way that fringe/the worst NBA players could destroy most people at basketball despite that.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The only person I think people can universally agree is a "washout" is Sato.

Because he's bad in Indy too.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

WindyMan posted:

It's really dumb to call most drivers "F1 washouts" partly because of this, but mostly because there are only so many seats to go around to a metric fuckton of drivers that could competently fill them. That someone isn't in the top 25 or whatever in terms of not being in an F1 seat doesn't make them second tier, in the same way that fringe/the worst NBA players could destroy most people at basketball despite that.

well and f1 is not a spec series. So we don't really know if say...Marcus Ericsson can mix it up with Hamilton or Vettel.

iospace posted:

I mean Bourdais...maybe? Torro Rosso being Red Bull's B-team certainly didn't help things, but Vettel did take off like a rocket with them in spite of that during the same season.

Bourdais didn't succeed in F1, but he had success in sports car racing over in europe and over here. F1 just seemed like a bad fit for him. :911: auto racing seems to fit him like a glove though.

Max Chilton?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'm holding off on this year for judgement on Chilton, but it's not looking good.

Also, what the hell is up with Marco? I mean today was just bad luck on his car deciding to take a poo poo, but him thinking he could coast on his family name is really starting to show.

Also, F1 is... I dunno, it's sort of weird. Like a comparison I make between F1 and Indy is MLB vs Nippon Professional Baseball. Are the cars in F1 the fastest open wheel cars in the world on road courses? Oh yeah, they are for a few reasons. Are the drivers the best? Arguably, but it's hard to get a 1-1 comparison when there's not much crossover until later on the F1 driver's careers when they decide to try Indy. Yeah you have things like Race of Champions and the former IROC, but those involve things that the drivers normally don't race, and IROC tended to favor stock car drivers for the obvious reasons.

Indy on the other hand, not as famous internationally, but well loved locally. I consider it a top tier series, but you can make an argument that F1 is higher, if only because those cars are bonkers compared to Indy.

They're both good in their own rights, and I love them both all the same.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

iospace posted:

I disagree about the "bad" part. He's average at best.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

WindyMan posted:

I didn't say they were bad. One of the reasons I like AOWR in general is that it allowed guys who didn't necessarily have the chances in F1 to shine. Guys like Teo Fabi, Roberto Moreno, Gugelmin, Zanardi etc.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

It happened:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM9KLBArpB8

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, still hype as gently caress about this.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

May came early this year! :D

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Replace the sk1 f1 assholes with american moustache man. Pat Symonds can stay.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah we'll have to get some sort of goon meet 500 weekend, I'm camping in the coke lot again

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Honestly, the best thing to do would probably pick a time and location at the track on carb day. Everyone will be going to that too, so logistics is easier.

I always watch final practice and the lights race from inside the turn 1 fence once I grab beers from whatever suite I'm in.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

We should attempt getting a suite at the 500 one year.

Phoenix this weekend, I'll be in town Thursday evening, have "fan suite" tickets like I did last year. Gonna enjoy the hell out of that air conditioning.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Bentai posted:

We should attempt getting a suite at the 500 one year.

I would be down for getting in on this in the next year or three.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

DoctorGonzo posted:

Replace the sk1 f1 assholes with american moustache man. Pat Symonds can stay.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd6ycKaNX4Q

Robin Miller is an IndyCar/Auto Racing journalist icon. He got in a fight with AJ Foyt back in the day, and he's obsessed with comparing drivers to Parnelli Jones.

iospace posted:

Also, F1 is... I dunno, it's sort of weird. Like a comparison I make between F1 and Indy is MLB vs Nippon Professional Baseball. Are the cars in F1 the fastest open wheel cars in the world on road courses? Oh yeah, they are for a few reasons. Are the drivers the best? Arguably, but it's hard to get a 1-1 comparison when there's not much crossover until later on the F1 driver's careers when they decide to try Indy. Yeah you have things like Race of Champions and the former IROC, but those involve things that the drivers normally don't race, and IROC tended to favor stock car drivers for the obvious reasons.

Indy on the other hand, not as famous internationally, but well loved locally. I consider it a top tier series, but you can make an argument that F1 is higher, if only because those cars are bonkers compared to Indy.

They're both good in their own rights, and I love them both all the same.

In order to kinda go "Driver X" is the best? You're correct. You need to have places like Indianapolis, Daytona, Le Mans, Sebring, and such be "meet ups" of the best domestic, international talent meeting up to go against each other.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I didn't say they were bad. One of the reasons I like AOWR in general is that it allowed guys who didn't necessarily have the chances in F1 to shine. Guys like Teo Fabi, Roberto Moreno, Gugelmin, Zanardi etc.

Lot of Americans like Sullivan, Cheever, and such found their way here after kinda being passed up in europe.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/04/04-25-Alonso-and-teammates

I'm still stupidly excited for this.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Let's get Junyer to race Indy next year as a one-off and have Earnhardt vs. Alonso.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

I can't believe how much more possible that is at this moment compared to a week or two ago.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Dude's retiring from NASCAR to prevent his brain from getting any more scrambled, I don't think open wheel anything is in the cards.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

There's not a chance in hell he gets in a Indy Car. Dude is leaving cuz he fears concussed again, rightfully.

Woulda loved to see him get a championship.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/McLarenIndy/status/856841587330093057

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Please be better than the F1 livery

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

The orange already looks better.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

If you're not excited, you are either dead inside, or getting your news from a 13-year-old girl.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Just received this interesting and I think great press release from The Happiest Place on Earth

Indianapolis Motor Speedway posted:

IMS Seating To Be Smoke-Free Beginning in October 2017

INDIANAPOLIS, Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - The Indianapolis Motor Speedway announced today that its grandstands will be entirely smoke-free beginning with the 2017 Red Bull Air Race. In addition, leading up to the Air Race, the track will provide limited smoke-free family grandstands at select Month of May events and at the Brickyard 400.

Only applies to the grandstands, so feel free to toke away in the Snake Pit

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Hey guys, I haven't even posted on this damned forum in like a year-plus, but if anyone remembers (probably not), I posted about a year and a half ago about attending my first Indy race and everyone recommended going to Barber.

Well, finally made it this year, and just wanted to thank everyone for the recommendation. Gorgeous facility, the museum was awesome, and also apparently my brother has connections there because he was able to gift me a couple Paddock Club tickets when I mentioned I was going. :wow:

Even got to be up close for the podium ceremony!

Needless to say, after years of watching races on TV, it was a huge treat to finally get to see the drivers, cars and action in person. Thanks again to everyone for the recommendation, that was definitely a gorgeous and inviting track to experience my first race at.
Pretty cool that my favorite driver won, too! :unsmith:

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

KingShibby posted:

Just received this interesting and I think great press release from The Happiest Place on Earth

Only applies to the grandstands, so feel free to toke away in the Snake Pit

Rude. What did Tony Stewart do to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Space Racist posted:

Hey guys, I haven't even posted on this damned forum in like a year-plus, but if anyone remembers (probably not), I posted about a year and a half ago about attending my first Indy race and everyone recommended going to Barber.

Well, finally made it this year, and just wanted to thank everyone for the recommendation. Gorgeous facility, the museum was awesome, and also apparently my brother has connections there because he was able to gift me a couple Paddock Club tickets when I mentioned I was going. :wow:

Even got to be up close for the podium ceremony!

Needless to say, after years of watching races on TV, it was a huge treat to finally get to see the drivers, cars and action in person. Thanks again to everyone for the recommendation, that was definitely a gorgeous and inviting track to experience my first race at.
Pretty cool that my favorite driver won, too! :unsmith:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It was a good race.

• Locked thread