Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

stab posted:

Vancouver would be a trash fire even if Toe Blake himself was coaching them

Yes, but a sensible, considered coach could help smooth over the worst of the warts. If Green has any growing pains, the carnival of calamity will continue unabated and the team could really use some positive PR at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

"Those Leafs boys oughta finish their hits more. Need more bodies like Martin, tough to play against, woulda made the Caps think twice about trying to get all fancy in the zone. Wonder if I can get Jarmo to sign him"

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

We should start taking bets on how many goalies/coaches vancouver is going to have over the next 10 years.

I'm gonna guess 9 lead goalies, 6 head coaches.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Powershift posted:

We should start taking bets on how many goalies/coaches vancouver is going to have over the next 10 years.

I'm gonna guess 9 lead goalies, 6 head coaches.

I am shocked they didn't end up with Bylsma. Gotta figure he's got at least one more team worth of cup-fueled good will to burn through.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Blackhawks fired Rockford's head coach, Ted Dent.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Wilford Cutlery posted:

That man is almost a palindrome.
Tned Dent.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Paulocaust posted:

Matt Martin was an integral part of a great energy line that was easily the Leafs most consistent,

I can't tell if this says more about Martin or the Leafs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/THWMark/status/856897894212915205

Come get your low 2nd rounder, Vancouver.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Habibi posted:

I can't tell if this says more about Martin or the Leafs.

It mostly says things about Paulocaust

Hand Knit posted:

Martin's (valuable) calling card was supposed to be very good shot suppression but I have no idea how that's held up this year.

It hasn't, it's a pretty big indictment of the hive mind's current ability to separate individual defensive contributions

Ummagumma
Jul 19, 2004
skydog

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Bowman's purge continues, I see. This move doesn't really make all that much sense, though. The Ice Hogs had their worst record ever, but that was mostly due to the fact the big club needed nearly all of the prospects this year. Most of the Hawks prospects have turned out all right, too, relative to their draft position.

Man ,if Bowman has the knives out for the minor league coach, imagine what he's going to do to the guy who handed out NMCs like they were candy!

e: As if on cue, Christopher Hine at the Tribune posts another article with an explanation. Apparently it had less to do with how he developed players than actions considered insubordinate, like apologizing to fans on Twitter when the Hawks traded away AHL superstar Spencer Abbot.

Ummagumma fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Apr 25, 2017

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is just filler until he starts messing with the roster anyways. That's when things get interesting.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I think Columbus might just hang onto it. GMs seem hesitant to surrender picks until they're forced to, and it's not like this is 61st overall. Jarmo will probably delude himself into thinking it'll be even lower next year.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Ummagumma posted:

Bowman's purge continues, I see. This move doesn't really make all that much sense, though. The Ice Hogs had their worst record ever, but that was mostly due to the fact the big club needed nearly all of the prospects this year. Most of the Hawks prospects have turned out all right, too, relative to their draft position.

Man ,if Bowman has the knives out for the minor league coach, imagine what he's going to do to the guy who handed out NMCs like they were candy!

e: As if on cue, Christopher Hine at the Tribune posts another article with an explanation. Apparently it had less to do with how he developed players than actions considered insubordinate, like apologizing to fans on Twitter when the Hawks traded away AHL superstar Spencer Abbot.

I wonder if he'd offer Kitch that role.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

I love it. I love it when coaches get too full of themselves and think that they own the team right up until the GM/owner goes "gently caress you".

Whether or not it's a good idea I dunno but I love it

xzzy posted:

This is just filler until he starts messing with the roster anyways. That's when things get interesting.

In my wild dreams they decide they need more veteran leadership on the blueline and are interested in Staal and/or Girardi

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Toews is such a powerful captain he has +10 to his effective age when it comes to leadership, which plants him solidly in the veteran leadership category.

One could argue that because of Toews they actually need less leadership and a little more cannon fodder.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Koopa Kid posted:

It mostly says things about Paulocaust

It hasn't, it's a pretty big indictment of the hive mind's current ability to separate individual defensive contributions

I love this forum of neckbeards that never played speaking authoratively about a sport they don't understand at all. You guys are all smarter than Mike Babcock, Lou Lam and Shanahan.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I have voiced complaints about moderation to Hand Knit though so our hockey experiences are similar.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

xzzy posted:

Toews is such a powerful captain he has +10 to his effective age when it comes to leadership, which plants him solidly in the veteran leadership category.

One could argue that because of Toews they actually need less leadership and a little more cannon fodder.

cannon fodder accurately describes dan girardi as well

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Paulocaust posted:

I love this forum of neckbeards that never played speaking authoratively about a sport they don't understand at all. You guys are all smarter than Mike Babcock, Lou Lam and Shanahan.

I dunno about those three but I'm pretty sure SAS could do a better job running a hockey team than Jim Benning, but that's more an indictment on Jim Benning than a commendation of our hockey knowledge.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

I dunno about those three but I'm pretty sure SAS could do a better job running a hockey team than Jim Benning, but that's more an indictment on Jim Benning than a commendation of our hockey knowledge.

I once tried to figure out what the Canucks roster would be like if Jim Benning had never been hired and they'd just employed an intern to resign RFAs for what they got in real life and just drafted the highest ranked player on the ISS list in the first round each time. No other trades or signings would take place and all players would walk the moment they hit unrestricted free agency. The team was substantially better than the one you see today.

There's probably an error or two in there, but the team would've looked look like this to start the 2016-17 season:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Tkachuk - Konecny - Nylander
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Gaunce - Dalpe - Kassian

Edler - Tanev
Garrison - Tryamkin
Hutton - Corrado
Forsling - Subban

Markstrom
Eriksson

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 25, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ginette Reno posted:

Twitch Manages Hockey Team.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Nah, it's always been twitch. We'd just be democracy and Benning is anarchy.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Paulocaust posted:

I'll give you Babcock and Lou (neither of whom played past college), but playing a sport in no possible way qualifies you to build a roster or coach a team, as has been proven countless times.

And nothing prevents you from having a bias and thus a blind spot about certain players or types of players. If SAS was running a team we wouldn't have Martin, but we'd probably keep trying to force players like Akeson into roles they aren't qualified for. Different blind spots.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Paulocaust posted:

Yeah you're right Lamoriello has never made a bad move *sweeps list of every NJD roster from 2010 to now under the rug*

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Paulocaust posted:

I'm smarter than anyone whose name can be shortened to Lou Lam.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Paulocaust posted:

Woah, woah, woah - just because I haven't trimmed along the beard line for two days doesn't mean you need to whip out the long knives, pal.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
https://twitter.com/AmalieBenjamin/status/856952611911725056

That makes sense.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Even in practice Marchand is a menace

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
Marchand to perform the surgery

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Local NHL ratings are out. CBJ saw a massive increase to a 2.09 local. Buffalo leads with 6.22. Anaheim on bottom with a 0.22.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

still gonna win the Selke too

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Those mean that on average 2.09% of people in Columbus area, whatever that is, watched Columbus's's NHL games when they were on? NBC or on any channel?

What do those numbers look for canadian teams, roughly?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

2.09% of households specifically, which usually represent several people.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks

ThinkTank posted:

Yes, but a sensible, considered coach could help smooth over the worst of the warts. If Green has any growing pains, the carnival of calamity will continue unabated and the team could really use some positive PR at the moment.

Utica's roster was real bad this year and Green did a pretty good job with keeping them in the playoff hunt until the last day of the season. I think it's the smartest way to go, but AHL coaches have flamed out spectacularly in the past (Eakins, Desjardins)

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
it's worrying because the canucks are definitely going to be bad next year. Is management going to try and push another 'new coach, win now!' narrative? Or even a 'retooling on the fly' narrative? Or will they be honest and accept that this is the last season of the Sedins, and that the team is in desperate need of top-line talent?

If they do the latter, a down year probably won't count much against Green. If they do either of the first two...?

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

DJExile posted:

Local NHL ratings are out. CBJ saw a massive increase to a 2.09 local. Buffalo leads with 6.22. Anaheim on bottom with a 0.22.

Detroit lost a third of its viewers this season which isn't surprising. Colorado lost two-thirds. Holy christ.

How do bad/good runs influence other sports' viewerships? I remember hearing an argument awhile ago about how hockey fans generally just like their team v. other sports fans who are more invested in their respective leagues as a whole (or maybe this was just with football, which has a shorter and more compact schedule where it makes sense to watch a greater % of league games).

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Porrima posted:

Those mean that on average 2.09% of people in Columbus area, whatever that is, watched Columbus's's NHL games when they were on? NBC or on any channel?

What do those numbers look for canadian teams, roughly?

A hunnert :canada:

Seriously though, http://awfulannouncing.com/nhl/2016-17-nhl-ratings-dropped-u-s-rose-canada.html

quote:

On the national front, Hockey Night in Canada‘s prime East window (typically a 7 p.m. Eastern start) averaged 1.78 million viewers on CBC, up nine per cent from last year. Their West window (usually a 10 p.m. Eastern start) averaged 806,600 viewers, up six per cent. So, yes, over half a million people more watched the top national broadcasts in Canada than the U.S. despite Canada’s population being just over 10 per cent of the U.S. population, but that’s not all that surprising (it was also the case last year in a boom year for NBC with 1.48 million and a down year for Hockey Night in Canada with 1.63 million). But the changes on both sides of the border are certainly notable.

That's roughly 7.4% of the population watching hockey night in canada. When vancouver made it to the finals in 2011, 1/4 of the poulation watched them blow it in game 7 and then trash the city. It was awesome.

We like hockey. And also Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal covered in ice and/or on fire.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Paulocaust posted:

please do further hockey posting on hfboards, I feel like it's more your style

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I don't think I'm smarter than management, just think the Martin contract was a mistake for what he brings. Sharing opinions means I think I'm smarter than Lou now? Ok. What are we even doing here then? What's the meaning of even posting? LOU IS A GENIUS! LEAFS NATION BABAAAYY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Paulocaust probably screams at his minimum wage jersey selling employees in his Small Canadian Business haha

• Locked thread