Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it also means there'll never be a good world of darkness splat for being dragons and krakens and poo poo, which kind of sucks

I feel like this was a niche a fansplat tried but I can't really remember it. Leviathan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So I was thinking, you know how Beasts are about instilling fear?
The next game Onyx should publish would be Princess: The Hopeful to counteract the beast.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That was for being a Deep One, and it was...well, as fansplats go, not the worst, so only 'kind of bad.'

e: Princess is dogshit, why would it counteract a bad game

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The next game is going to be about being escaped lab experiments on the run from evil organizations, and I'm still holding out hope that their equivalent of haven/sanctum etc will be "Sweet van" with a stat for airbrushed art on the side.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

That was for being a Deep One, and it was...well, as fansplats go, not the worst, so only 'kind of bad.'

Thematically its the idea of a counterbalance between fear vs hope that would act as a counter to beast.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Mors Rattus posted:

What are the good fansplats? Genius?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

spectralent posted:

Here is the list of good fansplats:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

Except, apparently, Demons.

Demons are immune to Poochie because Poochie is a creation of The God Machine.

Edit: That is, the concept of poochie, rather than any specific instance thereof

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

spectralent posted:

I've got to go to work now, but just imagine I laughed for about five hours straight.

(Genius is poo poo)

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

unseenlibrarian posted:

The next game is going to be about being escaped lab experiments on the run from evil organizations, and I'm still holding out hope that their equivalent of haven/sanctum etc will be "Sweet van" with a stat for airbrushed art on the side.

I'll see what I can do. No promises.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The only three I've seen and skimmed a little bit of are Genius, Princess and Leviathan, and Leviathan was the only one that seemed kinda OK. But this was years ago.

Genius seemed like it had nuggets of good ideas in there (some of which may have been taken from oMage) like the baddies being people convinced that their genius-paradigm really was the way the world worked and trying to force that onto the world, but it also seemed buried under a load of not great stuff.
Since this also loosely applies to many WoD/ChroD games to some degree depending on your feelings about them, to people that don't pick this kind of thing apart it can be hard to judge the quality.

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

DigitalRaven posted:

Aye, no. Beasts may think that, but...

I find it funny that the Werewolf blurb that says "they get along with supernaturals" and then proceeds to say "but not likely werewolves," and I wonder if this is going to be a trend going forward: books acknowledging Beasts' Poochie powers, and then denying that they have any affect on the specific splat. I want it to be a trend going forward.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

bewilderment posted:

The only three I've seen and skimmed a little bit of are Genius, Princess and Leviathan, and Leviathan was the only one that seemed kinda OK. But this was years ago.

Genius seemed like it had nuggets of good ideas in there (some of which may have been taken from oMage) like the baddies being people convinced that their genius-paradigm really was the way the world worked and trying to force that onto the world, but it also seemed buried under a load of not great stuff.
Since this also loosely applies to many WoD/ChroD games to some degree depending on your feelings about them, to people that don't pick this kind of thing apart it can be hard to judge the quality.

I think some of it is caused by the presence of editors in a professional piece. While not a guarantee a product won't end up a pile of weird abuse apologia etc, having an extra layer of sanity checking and paring down is how you cut away some of the awkward and foolish stuff and try to keep things focused on the good parts.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Basic Chunnel posted:

F&F writeups tend to be overlong but all you need to do is scan over the art to understand that Beast is explicitly an otherkin game

The shame is that the art is probably the one pretty good thing about Beast. If you extracted all those illustrations in the book from the context of Beasts and what they are and do, they include some pretty solid "what the gently caress is that" miscellaneous horrors. Sam Araya, man.

There's no point to countering a bad game about one theme with a bad game about the opposite theme. Also, Beast's thematic equal-and-opposite already exists in the form of a good game, it's Promethean. A Beast is a nega-Promethean, revelling in its devolution away from human beginnings towards shameless, unaccountable monstrocity.

Genius is a half-parody game that undermines its own tone with constant winks and nudges, and what is there that isn't parody is a clumsy attempt to reconstruct Mage: the Ascension in a clashing setting.
Princess is conceptually overcrowded and deeply confused about what it wants to pursue for themes and atmosphere. It stretches itself thin trying to serve too many masters.
I don't know much about Leviathan. It starts from a core concept that is potentially intriguing but also a minefield for problematic weirdness (their nega-Disquiet effect which makes people fixate and fawn over them, but which is at least played for horror rather than presented as a good thing).

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

It's loving horrendous and until the business with V20 and M20 the most disappointing thing OPP and WW had done in recent memory.

Wait, what was disappointing about V20?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

unseenlibrarian posted:

This is my character in a W:tF game. He has traveled cross country in this Winnebago while tracking down a being that was able to slaughter his original pack.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

citybeatnik posted:

Don't know what they found disappointing, but for me was the fact that it was a pretty conservative iteration of Masquerade Revised rather than something taking advantage of the 20 years of game design evolution since VtM first came out, so it still sucks to play from a mechanical stand-point.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

ZearothK posted:

Don't know what they found disappointing, but for me was the fact that it was a pretty conservative iteration of Masquerade Revised rather than something taking advantage of the 20 years of game design evolution since VtM first came out, so it still sucks to play from a mechanical stand-point.

Sadly, none of the 20s are fourth editions of their game, although it looks like Changeling20 is changeling this by being "Basically Changeling Revised."

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The 20th anniversary editions are more Director's Cuts than 4th editions.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Kurieg posted:

I've got to go to work now, but just imagine I laughed for about five hours straight.

(Genius is poo poo)

Well, poo poo, I don't know that :v:

I barely knew Princess existed before the thread mentioned it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Ironslave posted:

I find it funny that the Werewolf blurb that says "they get along with supernaturals" and then proceeds to say "but not likely werewolves," and I wonder if this is going to be a trend going forward: books acknowledging Beasts' Poochie powers, and then denying that they have any affect on the specific splat. I want it to be a trend going forward.

Beast's poochy powers work great on individuals, but less well on groups. Particularly groups as tight knit as an Uratha pack. A Lone Uratha might fall in with a Beast, might even be convinced to use his hunting instinct in pursuit of a Beast's hunger. But despite their similarities there is one very specific difference between Uratha and the Children

A Forsaken kills to protect their territory in the Siskur'dah, The Wolf Must Hunt, but you can hunt basically anything, including spirits and animals.
A Beast has to inflict horror and terror on people to survive, and only afterwards did Beast society as a whole come up with the fig-leaf excuse of Teaching Lessons.

Beasts usually don't kill clean, Horrors like to draw it out, to make them suffer, they feed off of Integrity breaks and the spiritual resonance that leaves on the surrounding landscape. This attracts spirits that also like those resonances, which in tern make more people act out in similar ways. Unless a beast is being very careful and keeping themselves very full off of Family Dinner alone, they're going to create a problem that an Uratha pack will need to solve.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

spectralent posted:

Well, poo poo, I don't know that :v:

Princess, in my completely unqualified opinion, is a great tool for STs to have around when nothing's going on. I couldn't imagine actually playing it, but statting up an NPC or two or using some of their weird shadow monsters seems perfectly alright.

One of the Twilight Queens (mostly bad guys but playable) has a specific, "What will you do in defense of everything you love?" that I think works really great if you introduce one of her Princesses to a Demon or Guardians of the Veil group, for example.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Spector29 posted:

Princess, in my completely unqualified opinion, is a great tool for STs to have around when nothing's going on. I couldn't imagine actually playing it, but statting up an NPC or two or using some of their weird shadow monsters seems perfectly alright.

One of the Twilight Queens (mostly bad guys but playable) has a specific, "What will you do in defense of everything you love?" that I think works really great if you introduce one of her Princesses to a Demon or Guardians of the Veil group, for example.
I was in a vampire game where a Princess came into town to stop us from being Literally The Worst (we had all independently specialized for getting the most out of diablerie in ways that were hugely synergistic so you can just imagine the kind of vampires they were) and to say that it went poorly for her is a colossal understatement.

Spector29
Nov 28, 2016

Yawgmoth posted:

I was in a vampire game where a Princess came into town to stop us from being Literally The Worst (we had all independently specialized for getting the most out of diablerie in ways that were hugely synergistic so you can just imagine the kind of vampires they were) and to say that it went poorly for her is a colossal understatement.

Yeesh. I hope she died, because if you let her go she'd probably break down into a kill-frenzy.

That's pretty close to how I ran a Princess encounter: Some Guardians were doing some investigation on Non-Awakened magic and uncovered the story of a Vampire attack on some girls in an alley Blossoming, like, six of them.

The vampires (Ventrue and Daeva) started seducing and corrupting them as the Mages arrived to the situation. Between defending against hostile vampires and deciding on whether to 'sanitize' the new Supernaturals, it became a good kind of mess very quickly.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

spectralent posted:

Seriously. I had to look it up on TVTropes just to find anything out about it. :stare:

Also i'm pretty sure that if I introduced this to any games i'd run my players would hang me. Or they'd cackle and just lose a few humanity points due to eating the poor thing.

Is there a centralized location for "well regarded" fan games for the setting? I want to see what the community has cooked up now that I know Princess is a thing that exists.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sadly BJ Zanzibar's was put on a flaming boat and kicked out to sea, otherwise I'd direct you that way.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

Sadly BJ Zanzibar's was put on a flaming boat and kicked out to sea, otherwise I'd direct you that way.

Rip.

I spent so much time on there in the 90s

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Is this it? http://bjz-backup.droppages.com/

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yesssssssss

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

tag urself, im caantalsay

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
LOTSA NUTS

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

I'm the Save Farscape campaign link on the homepage.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I'm the Save Farscape campaign link on the homepage.

Same

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

So how does it feel to save Christmas?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Daeren posted:

So how does it feel to save Christmas?

Like I plugged a few words into Google.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

You know how the Assamites are still depicted as a Clan of Arabic/Muslim assassins whose skin becomes blacker with age?

That was pretty disappointing!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

LatwPIAT posted:

You know how the Assamites are still depicted as a Clan of Arabic/Muslim assassins whose skin becomes blacker with age?

That was pretty disappointing!

There was really no chance they were actually going to completely rewrite the game to the point that would be necessary to remove stuff like that as part of the book that was advertised as a celebration of the game's entire history.

The only book that's done stuff like that so far is Mage, and... I don't even have words for how bad that got messed up. But I don't think that's a failure mode that's likely to be repeated.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

There was really no chance they were actually going to completely rewrite the game to the point that would be necessary to remove stuff like that as part of the book that was advertised as a celebration of the game's entire history.

Changing the Assamite Clan Flaw for one of the other Clan Flaw they've had through the ages wouldn't exactly be a great step away from the celebration of the game's entire history, especially when that's already being done with the Tremere. And they could have gone with a less orientalist drawing for the splat-writeup.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Oh dear god I thought that was buried forever and nobody would ever have to see the terrible poo poo I wrote when I was a teenager ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I wrote nothing and you can't prove I did.