Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd forgotten how good Squirm is, actually. Servo doing the Looney Tunes theme and the "Merry Christmas!" during the short, and the perfectly timed recurring "Mr. Beardsley?" jokes killed me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sash! posted:

The dumbest mandate. Young Man's Fancy, Day at the Fair, the Auto Show Whatever the Hell that was, KEEPING NEAT AND CLEAN, Are You Ready for Marriage, the one where Union Pacific implores us to not get run over by trains, the time a demon and an angel battle for the soul of a bread delivery man, and that kid that cheated on the test outstrip many of the full length movies in awesome riffs.

Don't forget about "Mr. B Natural" and "A Case of Spring Fever."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The auto show opera is also top quality just because of its weirdness. It feels like she is dragged off into the Dreaming by some kind of Evil Consumer Product Boggart dressed in a mask, only to spend eternity in a twilit sing-song world filled with kitschy 50s utopian stuff. It's like The Sandman met Fallout.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
On the other hand there's ones like the freezer sales pitch which is just death outside of the one or two bits of weird misogynistic objectification the short indulges in.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Gaz-L posted:

On the other hand there's ones like the freezer sales pitch which is just death outside of the one or two bits of weird misogynistic objectification the short indulges in.

Hey, I liked Willow the Selling Wizard!

Servo going nuts over freezers was great.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

My favorite shorts are probably The Truck Farmer and A Date With Your Family. I do mention "two pints of oysters and the new vegetable" a lot while grocery shopping--it's from the short about being a homemaker and the perils of letting the husband buy groceries.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
My favorite short has to be "Catching Trouble" with the wildlife expert torturing animals.

"Russ tries to wash off the evil, but nothing doing."

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer
"The cows are furious!"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Truck Farmer is probably one of their most brutal shorts.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Jet Jaguar posted:

My favorite shorts are probably The Truck Farmer and A Date With Your Family. I do mention "two pints of oysters and the new vegetable" a lot while grocery shopping--it's from the short about being a homemaker and the perils of letting the husband buy groceries.

The oysters & turnip was from a RiffTrax short, Buying Food.

Those are also good, and only a couple are re-riffed MST3K shorts.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Century 21 Calling is a funny short.

I watched The Land That Time Forgot tonight and I love that they continue the tradition of making fun of Germans and dumb white guys with guns. I love how they kept doing Doug McClure's voice as Phil Hartman's Troy McClure voice. Also, there was one bit where they did an extended riff on Dinosaurs (the 90s puppet sitcom) that was hilarious.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

mangler103 posted:

My favorite short has to be "Catching Trouble" with the wildlife expert torturing animals.

"Russ tries to wash off the evil, but nothing doing."

This is my favorite short and the 'Catching Russ' skit is fantastic.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Brain Guy and other brain dudes were great especially since they gave us this segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bV4-w2H5qE

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
The home economics short from the Viking Women episode doesn't get enough love. Along with being filled with hilarious riffs, it's a downright quaint little window into the roles and expectations of women in the time it was made.

Spacebump posted:

I had only watched a handful of MST3k episodes as a kid and wanted more after watching the revival. The first old one I watched was Time of the Apes. The ending of that movie makes no sense with the cuts they made. (and from reading what was cut online, still doesn't really make sense.) Any must see classic episodes? (I don't care what era of the show they are from.)

Along with what everyone else has recommended, you should watch the rest of the Sandy Frank movies, especially the Fugitive Alien movies. Fugitive Alien gave us one of the show's most beloved musical bits.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Home Economics Story is a great one.

Body Care and Grooming, too. I love how the narrator gives that poor girl a dressing down and Servo just says "Look at that sidewalk."

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
"Is This Love, or just rough sex with Michael Douglas??"

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Time Travelers was a pretty solid episode, but I was left kinda frustrated by the movie. And I can't tell if it's due to cuts they made (like to the ending) or just that the movie itself is uneven. Like what happened to the mute outsider dude?

There's juuuust enough charm and craft in there that I'm left wishing it was fleshed out a bit better either way. Anyone know how the remake is?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The ending kind of sucks in my opinion, and most people misinterpret it to mean that it they get pulled back from their idyllic future and are caught in a time loop, but they're nit; it's just the other versions of them beginning their journey. It's the movie's way of letting us know that once something is embedded in time, it's always there, but because of the weird repetitive, rush, thing, it comes off as menacing, like the original travelers are caught in a loop. I think they cut it because it because the only riffs you can make are the Tom Servo-esque "Okay, we get it, yes, it's a time loop. It's a time loop, sure. Come on, I wanna go home!"

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Oh my god. Oh my god.

Loves of Hercules. The Hydra fight. That obviously painted cow masquerading as a bull. The ridiculous amazon headgear. Some random dude just fondling and harassing women during the "trial" before being unveiled as Hercules' sidekick. Hercules' penchant for just lifting heavy things and walking around with them. The loving living trees with struts clearly propping them up so they don't fall over. The loving sasquatch fight out of nowhere at the end.

At some points I was laughing so hard it hurt. My girlfriend refused to believe the movie wasn't an intentional comedy.

E: also the season has been good / great / amazing so far.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Der Shovel posted:

Loves of Hercules. [spoiler]Hercules' penchant for just lifting heavy things and walking around with them.
[/spoiler

I loved the wormy sad little voice they used talking as him whenever he did that.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Egbert Souse posted:

I love how they kept doing Doug McClure's voice as Phil Hartman's Troy McClure voice.

Well Troy IS based on Doug, so it is a thematically appropriate joke.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.
Wow, I'm rewatching the series in order, and in episode 205, Joel says he was going to do the jumping bean bag chair as the invention exchange but decided to do something else. Almost 30 years later, it shows up in an episode. I wonder if he just has a notebook of weird invention ideas, or if the idea just stuck in his brain.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There's an episode of Sifl & Olly where a caller calls in about a jumping bean bag chair too. I suppose it's not a terribly difficult concept to come up with.

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Light Gun Man posted:

There's an episode of Sifl & Olly where a caller calls in about a jumping bean bag chair too. I suppose it's not a terribly difficult concept to come up with.

That's true I suppose. The joke's right there.

The Hausu Usher
Feb 9, 2010

:spooky:
Screaming is the only useful thing that we can do.

The band singer being Har Mar Superstar was an absolute blast from the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g98QXm42mmA

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Compendium posted:

Brain Guy and other brain dudes were great especially since they gave us this segment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bV4-w2H5qE

We also got the hilarious bit where he has his brain taken away from him, and when he tries to do a brain power thing we hear the brain power noise, but it's slowed way down.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I was just watching The Gunslinger the other day, and was pleasantly surprised to notice they use the same sound effect when Dr. F. is trying to explode Frank's head, Scanners-style.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I love Pearl, Bobo, and Brain Guy.

I particularly love that it's "Brain Guy"

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gypsy's IMDB editing software sextuple-posted!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My favorite Brain Guy thing is from RiffTrax's take on The Night Dracula Saved the World, a lame TV special starring Judd Hirsch that's basically a low-budget 1970's Hotel Transylvania. During the intro, they introduce all the different monsters, including a zombie. The zombie shambles out with white face-paint, black paint around the eyes and a purple hooded cape.

The RiffTrax guys are all, "BRAIN GUY?!" and Corbett mutters to himself, "I'm in this...?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Having never listened to Rifftrax, I have no idea what Corbett's real voice sounds like, so I basically picture it to be Brain Guy's.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

The imdb trivia section has always been full of idiots.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Could be worse. The now homeless forum posters might move there.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bicyclops posted:

Having never listened to Rifftrax, I have no idea what Corbett's real voice sounds like, so I basically picture it to be Brain Guy's.

It's pretty much the same.
Also, watch some rifftrax.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a shame, because I like actual trivia like "This person was supposed to be played by a different actor who dropped out at the last second" or "There was a sequel planned called Beetlejuice goes Hawaiian."

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Ape of Naples posted:

Watch Rollergator. I need others to share my pain.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

The Ape of Naples posted:

Here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PW0fdFKJjWY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmMqZIH7idQ

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Jet Jaguar posted:

I remember that "two pints of oysters" short from Rifftrax; it was where I finally learned about products that weren't Grade A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bicyclops posted:

Just his Crow voice, really.

If you're going to give RiffTrax a try, though, I'd highly suggest Jack the Giant Killer. It's a fun, campy adventure movie from the 60's with lots of stop-motion and goofy magic effects. Feels enough like a regular MST3K movie and it's available on Amazon Prime.