Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Voting for Doodlebug because I have to have back my own proposals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
My problem with any plan that involves trying to hit the diamonds before the S-300 is that doing so means we likely get any missiles we lob at the diamond truck shot down by the S-300 and/or its Tunguska buddies, while unable to engage the SAMs fast enough to take advantage of them having used up some of their ready missiles.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Vando posted:

My tweak is still "what do we do if the S-300 is covering the rest of the Bulgarian force like it obviously will be?"

e: also I still technically "play" Eve, after a fashion. High five and also commiserations.

This is a valid point, I think while focusing on the S-300 to the exclusion of the actual objectives is a good stance, having a contingency for it being an obstacle to those goals is a good call.

I think maybe we have the crown-type thing for our air wing, the grenade for our ground forces, and the bee for Goonfleet.

I figure we allow for some customization, such as allowing nose art, but keep a fairly consistent camo scheme.

Or each 'squadron has its own emblem.

The obvious pick is :frog: for the Frogfoots/CAS unit.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
My problem with just leaving the S-300 alone is that it can seriously cramp our operations, especially if additional batteries start showing up in theatre or the Angolan air defences are re-organised along our front. The recent bad showing of SMARF does free them up somewhat to do that and a dozen Kfirs won't substantially change that balance.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

The Sandman posted:

My problem with any plan that involves trying to hit the diamonds before the S-300 is that doing so means we likely get any missiles we lob at the diamond truck shot down by the S-300 and/or its Tunguska buddies, while unable to engage the SAMs fast enough to take advantage of them having used up some of their ready missiles.

S300 radar detects low altitude threats at a much shorter range and the cruise missile will travel very low

Also unless it is right on top of the convoy it has to intercept from an angle which will be less effective than against a direct strike

Its be nice to have cruise missiles and a bunch of harms but somebody lost two tornados :v:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

UberJew posted:

Its be nice to have cruise missiles and a bunch of harms but somebody lost two tornados :v:

:saddowns:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Rough plane design:

Let's people have their own personal logos in addition to whatever we decide for the corporate one.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Can we also get a big ol' middle finger painted on the ventral side of our aircraft?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

sniper4625 posted:

Let's people have their own personal logos in addition to whatever we decide for the corporate one.

We've already had a proper corporate logo since the start.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

We can paint that one big on the bottom of the wings, so as to be visible from the ground for advertising purposes. Otherwise yeah under the pilot window as the other one.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

That's the roundel on the nose of the one I put together.

Edit: I forgot to plant the hayard gunnes on there, will fix at some point.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Apr 25, 2017

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Quinntan posted:

That's the roundel on the nose of the one I put together.

And it works quite well as our roundel. If we do personal logos, remember the traditions of air warfare and put them in the proper place

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
I wish you nerds would stay on target and focus on one thing (battleplans) and not get distracted by shiny objects :argh:

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat

Vando posted:

I wish you nerds would stay on target and focus on one thing (battleplans) and not get distracted by shiny objects :argh:

So are you in favor of LED animated gif logos or not? I can't tell from this post.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

UberJew posted:

S300 radar detects low altitude threats at a much shorter range and the cruise missile will travel very low

Also unless it is right on top of the convoy it has to intercept from an angle which will be less effective than against a direct strike

And the Tunguskas?

I'm making the assumption here that we have some time to work with as far as taking out the diamonds, since they're in ordinary trucks and we know both their route and their schedule. They won't be expecting us to attack them (and thus deliberately changing either of those things) until we actually attack them. Therefore, we can adjust what we swat them with based on circumstances, using cheaper and shorter-range munitions if we don't have to get the strike through a functioning air defense net.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Vando posted:

Substance with style is how we'll stand out.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Added Hâyard-Günnes wording to the tail.

EDIT: Did a frogfoot, and put the obvious on the tail

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 25, 2017

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

Voting for By The Numbers also might I suggest this image for our emblem (only size I got)

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yooper this LP is amazing.

Paint job should be haze grey with little accents in that HG green and the orange Yooper uses for the briefing slide.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Yooper posted:

No idea. I'm not sure anyone has brought it up since like page 3.

Some choices.

Black Aggressors

DigiCamo

Blue Splinter Camo

Grey Splinter

Classic Black & White

The Green Monster

Swedish Classic

Grey Waves

The Jolly Roger

Tigers of Tibet

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Going down route 235 today and a big E-2D Hawkeye flew over the road on final at a few hundred feet. Wish I had my phone out for a quick pic :(

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

sniper4625 posted:

We can paint that one big on the bottom of the wings, so as to be visible from the ground for advertising purposes. Otherwise yeah under the pilot window as the other one.

That's the cockpit. It's a small room with pilot(s) in it, but that's not important right now.

If we want personalisation, I direct you to

Triple A posted:

And it works quite well as our roundel. If we do personal logos, remember the traditions of air warfare and put them in the proper place

Quinntan posted:

Added Hâyard-Günnes wording to the tail.

EDIT: Did a frogfoot, and put the obvious on the tail

:perfect:

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug
I would prefer my SK60 be painted like the red baron.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011

Bacarruda posted:

Some choices.

The Green Monster

Swedish Classic

I think Green monster is the most appropiate followed by swedish classic.
drat that's a sexy camo.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Honestly the SK60's should just be painted with a big red bullseye on them. Perhaps we can get Target to sponsor them?

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
That camo on the Gripen is a shoop job, the camo on the gripen I've been futzing around with is the proper version.

Speaking of Swedish paint jobs...

Edit: Sorry, Timg'd those pictures.

Quinntan fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 25, 2017

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Quinntan posted:

That camo on the Gripen is a shoop job, the camo on the gripen I've been futzing around with is the proper version.

Speaking of Swedish paint jobs...

I love that there's a box of legos for kids to play with near the nose of that jet. As a guy with a kid who loves legos, gently caress yah, that's awesome. Then I can actually enjoy this poo poo while my kid builds something.

Vote Chat

20 Votes. Keep em coming! So far it's looking good.

Sorry to have derailed the vote with paint chat. But look at some of those sweet sweet paint jobs.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Sorry for posting more of these paint jobs, but this one is just glorious.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
^^^ That's incredibly sweet, whose plane is that?

Yvonmukluk posted:

That's the cockpit. It's a small room with pilot(s) in it, but that's not important right now.

If we want personalisation, I direct you to

:perfect:

I stand by "Pilot Window." :colbert:

Agree on the :frogout: frogfoot.

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
Swedish Air Force Viggen, don't know the reason for the special paint job, maybe a retirement one? This red Viggen is a retirement one though, I know that much.

Edit: And while I'm at it, have an Austrian Draken.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Guess the thread is p firmly trending in other directions already but here's my entry:

Logo/roundel is just a mockup to quickly show the color scheme and placement, winged grenade would look sweet there as well.

e: with grenade

vvvvvv

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 25, 2017

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

I stand by having this as our emblem

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I think the Swedish Classic (which apparently is not in fact a Swedish classic) seems like a winner for the colour scheme to me!

Though I think Quinntan's choice of markings is ideal.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of cool Viggen camos:

Basically, replace swedish roundel with Hayard-Gunes roundel and put a big-rear end grenade on the bottom of the aircraft.

also, voting for Black Diamond.

e: timg'ed, sorry

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 25, 2017

Psawhn
Jan 15, 2011

UberJew posted:

e: also i said we should hit the truck with a cruise missile earlier and that's the only plan that goes with that so :getin:

Hey! Reverse Isaia Mustafa also hits the truck with cruise missiles! :saddowns:

(I'm voting for my own plan. If it doesn't make it then my runoff vote goes to Bacarruda's plan.)

Bacarruda posted:

To all the voters out there, I'm open to minor last-minute suggestions and tweaks to Black Diamond (assuming Yooper is ok with it).

Think we should add an extra Tornado to SEAD or something? Let me know and we'll see if we can make it work.

My only real criticism is that the Taurus missiles are wasted on the S-300. There's more than enough time for the S-300 to shoot them down after they pop up over the horizon.

I might also add a note that it's possible to program them with a flight path that avoids hazards and flies down valleys, although that would mean Shift-F1 manual targeting.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Ok we have to give the SK-60's some dragon-themed nose art at the very least. We can't just have these lovely little trainers that killed an entire base of 5th gen stealth fighters without suffering a scratch in return and NOT commemorate that somehow.

PenguinSalsa
Nov 10, 2009

Crazycryodude posted:

Ok we have to give the SK-60's some dragon-themed nose art at the very least. We can't just have these lovely little trainers that killed an entire base of 5th gen stealth fighters without suffering a scratch in return and NOT commemorate that somehow.

Seconding this. Either dragons or a crying panda. :china:

Cruise missile chat: I'm more worried about the Tunguska. Isn't the Tunguska radar guided as well and would it be possible to jam or otherwise disable it somehow?

PenguinSalsa fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 25, 2017

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

PenguinSalsa posted:

Seconding this. Dragons or a crying panda. :china:

Cruise missile chat: I'm more worried about the Tunguska. Isn't the Tunguska radar guided as well and would it be possible to jam or otherwise disable it somehow?

Tunguska's missile altitude is absurdly low. Flying over ~15,000 ft means you're immune. Our Phantoms can mop them up easily.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Crazycryodude posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

PenguinSalsa posted:

This is why my By The Numbers plan is roughly to poo poo a whole bunch of munitions at them all at once and dare the Tunguska(s) to intercept them all. And then just flip them off was we fly home to the sound of an explosion orchestras :sweden: