Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

She also starts with a chest key and the nagaginta is on her route, so she shouldn't stay helpless for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Cattail Prophet posted:

Nyx's portrait has never really looked particularly young to me, to be honest. Petite, sure, but not on the same level of "technically an adult" as Elise by any means.
Nyx is a slightly different case than Elise or Sakura, as we'll see in her supports.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I want to note that the Hoshidans dragged Azura, who has been raised with their royal family off to the front lines to apparently have her executed.

Say what you want about the Nohr siblings and their idiot ball blind faith in Garon, but Hoshido is just full of dicks.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The middle section of Corrine's "recruitment" speech is almost physically painful to read.

"You live in solitude? Then, random stranger I just met, we can be... family." :downs:

As for Nyx herself... eh. She basically has the growths Odin is missing, and vice versa. Smash them together and you'd have one good character! Or I suppose you could just feed them each a different set of boosters, since they thankfully don't need the same ones. From what I recall she's not exactly a particularly popular character, though at least she's better than her Hoshido pseudo-equivalent.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Nyx can at least use the witch's mark, which goes a long ways towards making her better than Odin.

Granted, there's better choices for the witch's mark.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

It's been so long since I had a Dancer, I missed it so much.

It's nice to see you too, Azura. But what are you doing in Nohr? Actually, never mind that part. Why were the Hoshidans fighting against you? I thought the people of Hoshido were your allies.
As did I. But when the war started, everything changed. After you, A princess of Hoshido, sided with Nohr, the Hoshidans wished to banish me. The general consensus was that nobody with ties to the enemy could be trusted.

Sounds cruel, but this is pretty consistent with how she was treated in some of her supports back in Birthright. Specifically, Subaki took out assassins sent by lesser Hoshidan royal families. And royal families being petty assholes isn't new.

Azura... that's awful.
Ryoma and the others stood up for me. They tried their best to protect me. But one day a group of Hoshidan soldiers captured me and took me here. If you hadn't come along, I can't imagine what would have become of me.
So thank you, Corrine. I owe you my life.

Yeah, kinda.

It's not fair that you were torn from your home again on my account. I'm so sorry.
Please don't blame yourself. It's really not your fault. When a war starts, it's only natural to distrust the enemy. I always knew this would happen if Nohr and Hoshido ever went to war.
I suppose so. But I'm still sorry for the part I played in your misfortune.
Think nothing of it. Actually... If it's not too much of a burden, I was hoping you would allow me to join you. Perhaps with our powers combined we can end this senseless war.

Won't say no to a free Dancer! That's your loss, Hoshidon'ts!

You were a valued friend during my time in Hoshido. I'm happy to return the favor.
Thank you, Corrine. I'm so glad we crossed paths once more. After I was captured, I couldn't stop thinking about you. Not just you, but also your... Oh, never mind.
Azura?
Corrine! I finally found you! We're all ready to go now.
Thanks, Elise. We'll leave momentarily.

This is Azura. She'll be traveling with us from now on. She was once a Nohrian Princess, but she was stolen away many years ago.
A Nohrian princess? Really?
Wow! Oh, wow! Why didn't you say so? Does that mean you're my big sister?!
Ha ha! Of course it does! Isn't that right, Azura?
Well, um...
Azura, is something wrong? You seem-

Yes, it's a p-pleasure to meet you as well. Thank you for the warm welcome, Elise.
Tee hee hee, no problem! Oh my goodness! I'm all shy now because of my new big sis!
Come on already! Follow me! I wanna be the one to introduce you to everyone!
Huh? Oh, my...

Azura... what a mystery you are. It was almost like she was about to say she and Elise weren't really sisters. Perhaps it was just my imagination...

One moment she's observant, the next moment she's still trying to figure out if Garon likes her or not.

Character Overview

Nyx

Class sets: Starts as Dark Mage, Outlaw
PSkill: Countercurse-When enemy triggers the battle and inflicts magical damage, the enemy receives half the same damage

Growth Rates
HP: 30
STR: 15
MAG: 70
SKL: 35
SPD: 60
LCK: 20
DEF: 20
RES: 40

Another prime example of MIN-MAX. Except Nyx takes it way too far with a pathetic 35 skill growth, meaning she can't hit for poo poo with a base of 5 skill. Orochi couldn't double anyone for crap, but at least she had pretty good luck and resistance growth to make up for it. This...this is just awful.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Don't worry Fire Emblem fans, Nohr do what Hoshidon't!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Scratch what I said about Elise, Nyx is the true attender of the Lilina school of Nuke The Enemies And Burn The Ashes. If you think Nyx's skill growth sucks, play FE6: Lilina has a 20% Skill growth.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Yeah, Nyx is really bad as a unit, and probably the worst non-Gunter unit in the game. Orochi can salvage her bad growths with things like scrolls (hi Horse Spirit!), but Nyx doesn't have that option in Conquest outside of the player power-grinding the Museum Melee DLC for scrolls. Yes, the Witch's Mark or Ebon Wing can maybe help her out, but the problem there is that said classes are better off in the hands of other units, so again, Nyx gets screwed.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

just feed nyx every secret book. who else needs them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Endorph posted:

Arthur. :v:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

Elise.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Junpei posted:

Scratch what I said about Elise, Nyx is the true attender of the Lilina school of Nuke The Enemies And Burn The Ashes. If you think Nyx's skill growth sucks, play FE6: Lilina has a 20% Skill growth.

Lilina at least was in a game with Fire and Excalibur, and Sage gains were FE5-tier.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Nyx - ...What is this garbage you're attempting to foist off on us, Fates? Seriously, not only is Hoshido pretty much objectively in the right in this war, but their units are almost universally better as well! I mean, yeah, Nyx can double things, and she does a lot of damage if she hits... but the operative phrase here is "if she hits." I mean, that Skill growth is WELL below the threshold of practicality, she doesn't have good bases to compensate, and she's far too frail to take a hit from anything! Frankly, I think the best way to salvage her would probably be to finagle a way to get her into the Onmyoji class, but that leaves one of your other units with a subpar S-rank (as Tae already mentioned, Dark Mages are nowhere near as broken as they used to be).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CptWedgie posted:

Nyx - ...What is this garbage you're attempting to foist off on us, Fates? Seriously, not only is Hoshido pretty much objectively in the right in this war, but their units are almost universally better as well!

And Hoshido is apparently far more talented and better equipped, going by the difficulty.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Cythereal posted:

And Hoshido is apparently far more talented and better equipped, going by the difficulty.

Yeah, Hoshido is supposed to be the easiest of the three routes, and Nohr is supposed to be the hardest. I guess if Corrine was not involved, Hoshido would have beaten Nohr in this war.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Who knows. We know Birthright would've ended in failure without Corrin because Ryoma+company were on the run for basically the entire game.

Ironically, Corrine saved Hoshido on the Nohr route because if she wasn't so deadset on retreating to find out why Garon tried to murder her 9 times, they would've continued to attack a very vulnerable Hoshido right after their capital was blown up.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Nyx is Elise But Worse in every way. It's unfortunate, but there's just no reason to use her.

Haitaka, though. Rally Defense this early is insanely, amazingly good, and especially so given that the next chapter is infamous for being very difficult...

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

BlazeEmblem posted:

I guess if Corrine was not involved, Hoshido would have beaten Nohr in this war.

Y'know, if Garon didn't cheat like he does. I mean, "literally invincible" is kind of a game-changer. Plus there're all the ridiculous abilities demonstrated by Nohrian mages that never come up again after the first map or two of dealing with them; if they could just be bothered to use those consistently (never mind intelligently) they might win even without their royalty getting involved. I mean, if I was an evil illusionist I'd probably make the enemy commanders look like Faceless, then sit back and cackle as their own soldiers kill them... possibly inverting it (both in making Faceless look like enemy commanders and in making the troops look like Faceless to the commanders) from time to time for variety, paranoia, and my own amusement. Or if I could remotely set off explosions at will, I wouldn't restrict it to provoking pointless battles for my enemies, I'd be doing my best Bomberman impression on the enemies themselves. And either way, I wouldn't TELL my enemies what I was doing until they were safely dead, let alone gloat about it. (And just like that, I have established myself as more intelligent at using abilities than the guys who actually have them in this game...)

...Y'know, if I had superpowers and I was evil I'd probably be a pretty scary villain.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hey Tae you're not playing on Casual, right?

Will you be keeping a running total of retries at all?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I'm playing on casual because the battle saves help me capture scenes and those double missions. I'm not going to make my life miserable for Fates.

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.

CptWedgie posted:

Frankly, I think the best way to salvage her would probably be to finagle a way to get her into the Onmyoji class, but that leaves one of your other units with a subpar S-rank (as Tae already mentioned, Dark Mages are nowhere near as broken as they used to be).

I've actually done this, and it worked out pretty well for both parties.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I started a new file to play along with the thread, and I'm noticing the beginning of the game is a ton easier if you use the DLC classes.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
On this map I could never get by with the frontal assault strategy. The units guarding the entrance would refuse to be baited out unless they could definitely kill someone. I had to blast my way in through the side, and Azura using the dragon vein and getting the brass naginata herself was very useful.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

On this map I could never get by with the frontal assault strategy. The units guarding the entrance would refuse to be baited out unless they could definitely kill someone. I had to blast my way in through the side, and Azura using the dragon vein and getting the brass naginata herself was very useful.

I tried the frontal assault once and after it failed miserably I stuck to the side as well.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That's incredibly weird, because I always find that the first group of spears and archers are more than happy to butt heads with Effie (who, to nobody's surprise is your most useful unit for the first few chapters), and then get easily cleaned up by the rest. Hell, it's even a decent place to feed Mozu a few kills.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hot on our tail? Why would...oh right. No one actually gets killed or something. Just hit very, very bluntly with blunt fire and dragon headbutts.

But hey, a new location at least.

From here we can catch a ferry to Notre Sagesse. Jakob's off making the arrangements as we speak.
Wonderful. We should all take this rare opportunity to relax for a bit. Azura in particular looks exhausted.
I noticed too. Well, it hasn't been an easy journey here. But there's also... Well, let's just say Lady Elise has grown awfully found of her.

Lady Azura is very polite, but I worry all that chatter is wearing her out.
Ha ha, you may have a point. Poor Azura doesn't stand a chance. Once Elise gets going, it's hard to stop her. She's a one-woman stampede.
It's as though she's trying to make up for all the sibling time they missed out on. It's rather heartwarming when you think about it.

At some point, Silas is going to stop being a plot character

Ah! I'm so sorry, Corrine. I didn't mean to remind you of your own siblings in Hoshido. Please forgive me for making such an insensitive comment.
Oh, don't worry about it. I was actually thinking of something else.
(I was thinking about what Azura said earlier... or what she almost said. Is she not Elise's sister after all...?)
What's wrong, Corrine?
Huh? Oh! It's nothing. I was just lost in thought.
Are you sure there's nothing...

That's strange, he appears to be out of breath. I wonder what's wrong...

*Jakob rushes up to them*

Hoshidan forces are heading our way. They shall arrive momentarily.
The Hoshidans? Here?! Jakob, are you sure?
I'm afraid so. I overheard as much from a guard on my way here. The guard also said all ferries are being denied until they've left. What would you like to do, milady?
Fighting is our only option. We have to beat them and get on that ferry. It's the only way we'll be able to carry out Father's mission. But...
What's wrong, Lady Corrine?

I haven't had to face Ryoma and the others, not since that fateful day when I... I know it's inevitable, but the thought of fighting my blood siblings... I just...
Lady Corrine... I hate to see you in such agony. None of us would judge if you chose not to engage in battle against your siblings. Instead of tormenting yourself, why don't we just turn around and go home?

Wait, we can do that?

Thank you, Jakob, but I'm afraid it's not that simple. Sooner or later we all must face the consequences of our actions. I knew this would happen when I followed my heart and sided with my Nohrian family. I must stand behind that decision no matter what. I will not run.
Understood, milady. I'll let the others know what's happened so they can prepare for battle.
Please do.

*Jakob leaves*

...Making up for lost time with lost siblings... the battlefield is a poor place for that. Perhaps in another life, things could have turned out differently. Please forgive me, Ryoma... Takumi... Please forgive me...

The amount of shade the games throw for the other route is hilarious.

*Hoshidans appear*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUcVo7GzCJk

This is true so far.

Are you...aiming from across the map??

Still, I meant what I said. Even if Takumi is involved, we must defend this port. This is Nohrian territory. I won't allow the Hoshidans to take our homeland from us!

*Takumi's retainers arrive*

So they plan to fight us, do they? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Nohrians aren't like normal, decent people. They live for the thrill of battle. All the better. I shall delight in putting those cowards in their place.
It looks like there's only a handful of them anyway. Should be an easy win.
Agreed. Even so, it's never a good idea to underestimate one's enemy. I refuse to lose to the Nohrians, especially while that traitor is among their ranks.

Everyone deployed is deployed, since I'm not using Mozu. It's basically a standard defend map with chokepoints. Pretty simple.

Tae fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 26, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is also one of the best maps in the game.

Edit: Seeing that the tactical screen does already have some of the information I want to talk about I will add a bit more unless Tae wants it gone. The map encourages you to push out with optional objectives and while it does put more risk at the start of the map, it also means that there is less pressure on your position towards the end.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 25, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

inthesto posted:

I started a new file to play along with the thread, and I'm noticing the beginning of the game is a ton easier if you use the DLC classes.
This is largely because they count as promoted classes and have stat gains to match.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Yesss. :allears: This map was so, so fun to play.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Hunt11 posted:

This is also one of the best maps in the game.

Edit: Seeing that the tactical screen does already have some of the information I want to talk about I will add a bit more unless Tae wants it gone. The map encourages you to push out with optional objectives and while it does put more risk at the start of the map, it also means that there is less pressure on your position towards the end.

This is one of two maps that always makes me sweat when I play it, and is consequently one of my two favorite maps in the game.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

oh jesus, this route was a mistake, we have to fight Oboro

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Oh boy, Conquest map 10. This was where Effie really shined for me on my first playthrough. I gave her Arthur as a pair of pants, and she just held a choke-point for the whole map. She ended up nearly ready for promotion.

As for Nyx; I like Nyx. There's ways to fix the accuracy problem, and her magical nuking potential is great. I usually make her a Witch or a Dark Flier.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

theshim posted:

Nyx is Elise But Worse in every way. It's unfortunate, but there's just no reason to use her.

if you like her character, that's reason enough (i used her up to the end of the game)

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Oh god. So begins the longest 11 turns in this game.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

Funny how Takumi accuses Nohrians of living for the thrill of battle before stating that he will "delight" in killing them.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Ah yes, one of Fates' most memorable maps, thanks to it being designed almost like a pop quiz for the player. I look forward to seeing how Tae approaches this.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
Nyx awful growth rates just kill her in Conquest. She would at least be halfway decent in Birthright considering you could grind but Dark Mages already gave lousy hit rates and her paper thin defense makes sure her Pskill never gets used. A shame too because she has some good support conversations that we'll barely see.

Speaking of Birthright, Nyx is the only Nohrian unit you never fight in that route because a battle never occurs that forces her out of solitude, thus meeting the avatar to set up for recruitment.

Emperordaein
Jul 1, 2013
I fell in love with this map when I played it. This was the kind of map I loved in the past games. When it's really more a puzzle where you have to figure out how to tackle multiple objectives. My first Conquest run, when I beat the mission, I actually got overwhelmed after the defensive lines broke, and the last turn was everyone bunkering down as I tried to desperately hold out till the end. Second run, I maintained the line, thanks to better knowledge and better focus on certain units.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Glad to echo the love for this map. Every Fire Emblem game has "That map", and this is Conquest's. Difficult but not impossible, rewarding but not brutal, this map is why I want to play Fire Emblem games.

I tried to use Nyx on my last run of Conquest and she was very frustrating to use. She's similar to Kagero because she has to move first and kill something, and then everyone else moves up to cover enemy approaches to her because she will explode if attacked.

• Locked thread