Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hello! Go ahead and edit that out, my dude.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I bought a Nashville Tele off Craigslist today on a whim because it was a great price - $300 with a B5T Bigsby installed. Action was high and tuning stability was bad, both of which I figured because it wasn't set up right. You gotta shim the neck to use a Bigsby on a tele, and plenty of people don't know how to set up a Jag/JM style bridge.

Well, I got it home, removed the strings, and pulled the bridge, and God drat, the bridge thimbles were just rattling loose in the body. The holes had been drilled too wide and too deep. No wonder it wouldn't stay in tune for poo poo with the bridge just flopping around in there.

Anyway, I think I'm gonna try the repair myself. Gonna make a jig or use a drill guide to route out the sloppy thimble holes, plug them with hardwood dowels, and re-drill. Then shim the neck, fix the action and pickup heights, and somewhere during all that add the bridge ground that was omitted during the bridge "installation." Wish me luck!

Edit: here's a pic of it from the CL ad.

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Apr 20, 2017

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Good luck!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Bought this yesterday. Been dying to play it all day long. Such a pretty instrument.

https://www.facebook.com/elijah.fynmore/videos/vb.907630383/10158525431525384/?type=2&theater

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Stuff arrived in the mail today, and now I have looked at the parts and the instructions. I have a better idea of what I have to do. It's mostly easy stuff.

Looking at the picture I admit I'm a little dismayed by how much money this all cost. All the mod kits/parts + tubes comes to $227, and that's the bulk of the expense. I ended up buying some tools/supplies: A new multi-meter and test leads, center punch and drill-bit, silicone sealant, cable ties and a new solder-sucker.

Going around the mods, the orange-drop caps to the right of the new tubes are the tone-stack (bass and middle) caps. The other two orange-drops and the large black capacitor are the coupling caps and the power supply stiffening cap.
Below that are the bias trim-pot and a piece of wire and a drill-bit for installing it. The small blue disc cap is a pretty elegant solution to possible phase-inverter oscillation, and somehow I've ended up with three of them (one in the basic kit, one with the output transformer, and a second set of instructions and washers for the transformer from BillMAudio, which has the same instructions as the transformer I eventually sourced from David Allen. Andrew included them "just in case.") At the bottom is the presence control mod and the two audio-taper pots.
Below the tubes are the new three-way off/standby/on switch and the replacement input jack. The input jack on the Blues Jr. is plastic, so this is just a more durable replacement. The amp doesn't have standby mode so this new switch adds that.

The TO20B output transformer is to the left, but Andrew says he'll take it in trade if I decide to install the TP24 power supply and external speaker mod, as the TO22 has designated secondaries for a 4Ω load with the same tonal properties (essentially, more bass.)

So the expense isn't trivial but there's more to this than just the purported improvements to the amp's tone: it's gonna be a fun project. If it really pays off, I could do a second to make a little stereo tube-amp rig. I'm a huge fan of multi-amp setups, but nowadays smaller is better for me.

And on Monday I expect to take delivery of an impulse-buy thanks to Dang It Bhabhi!, a new DOD Boneshaker that was on sale for only $39.99.

Coohoolin posted:

Bought this yesterday. Been dying to play it all day long. Such a pretty instrument.

https://www.facebook.com/elijah.fynmore/videos/vb.907630383/10158525431525384/?type=2&theater
This is very cool.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 22, 2017

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Some day my $400 birdseye maple Explorer knockoff will come. This is an update from the nice person at the factory in China:

I love it entirely for its looks, and because I've always wanted to play a coffee table.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Just arrived today! Put her together, did a full setup and I am really happy. Gibson PAF, super light guitar at just under 6 lbs, sounds awesome and feels awesome. It is not so orange in real life but rather than wait for daylight this is how it turns out with indoor lights and a cell phone.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

rio posted:

Just arrived today! Put her together, did a full setup and I am really happy. Gibson PAF, super light guitar at just under 6 lbs, sounds awesome and feels awesome. It is not so orange in real life but rather than wait for daylight this is how it turns out with indoor lights and a cell phone.

I don't really know anything but is that how the pole pieces are supposed to be?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

It is to help with string balance - these strings are pure nickel so the plain strings are a lot louder than the wrapped ones. I am kind of OCD about string balance and volume so all of my guitars have the pole pieces set up so that some are high and some are low, even on the ones that use steel strings, because once you start getting really thick E and B strings they end up being a lot louder.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Welp, bored of just playing riffs along to youtube and want to start jamming and playing to my own tracks intead:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

rio posted:

It is to help with string balance - these strings are pure nickel so the plain strings are a lot louder than the wrapped ones. I am kind of OCD about string balance and volume so all of my guitars have the pole pieces set up so that some are high and some are low, even on the ones that use steel strings, because once you start getting really thick E and B strings they end up being a lot louder.

Ya, good pickups have adjustable pole pieces to help with this.

I mean not every one does, lots of fender type pickups are flat and they're just dang fine. But y'know.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Southern Heel posted:

Welp, bored of just playing riffs along to youtube and want to start jamming and playing to my own tracks intead:

I never got the hang of my trio and took it back :(

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012

Captain Apollo posted:

I grabbed one a few weeks ago and it's definitely a lot more complex than I thought it would be. The bass and drums are surprisingly responsive to how you play, which is cool if you like having a million options but is a bit of a pain if you're trying to match what you have in your head. I usually had to try to teach it several times before I got a rhythm section that matched what I was going for, making changes to my strumming pattern each time. I'm kind of getting a feel for how it thinks, but that's only on the blues setting and I'm sure I'll have to re-learn to some extent for every genre it can do.

That said, it is a fun practice tool for me and it's forcing me to be a bit more creative, so I'll probably stick with it.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I might have the cheapest Gibson Les Paul in the world.

It was only $200. It's a studio model, it has a faded finish, and the headstock was broken and repaired and has a nasty scar on the front and back, but it doesn't affect the sound or tuning stability.

It just looks like it was carved from a bookshelf. It plays and sounds better than my $1,500 Traditional Pro II, which is why I sold it. Would rather have $1,300 and this, than a prettier Les Paul. It's only being played at home. Plus I prefer the fatter 50's neck, and the feel of the satin finish. It even stays in tune better and has a better setup. Its the guitar equivalent of a very plain looking woman who's funny, smart, and giving. The fact that its not weight relieved, barely has anything covering the wood, significantly older, and has the balance of the brighter burstbucker pickups and the mahogany top, might be why it sounds better.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

ChocNitty posted:

It was only $200. It's a studio model, it has a faded finish, and the headstock was broken and repaired and has a nasty scar on the front and back, but it doesn't affect the sound or tuning stability.

It just looks like it was carved from a bookshelf. It plays and sounds better than my $1,500 Traditional Pro II, which is why I sold it. Would rather have $1,300 and this, than a prettier Les Paul. It's only being played at home. Plus I prefer the fatter 50's neck, and the feel of the satin finish. It even stays in tune better and has a better setup. Its the guitar equivalent of a very plain looking woman who's funny, smart, and giving. The fact that its not weight relieved, barely has anything covering the wood, significantly older, and has the balance of the brighter burstbucker pickups and the mahogany top, might be why it sounds better.

That's a seriously good looking guitar. With few exceptions, I've always found that the less ornate a Les Paul is, the better it looks.*
It always seems like every time Gibson wants to fancy up a Les Paul, they put a bunch of frilly poo poo on it that ends up looking like how turn of the century super rich people might have designed a Spaghetti Western saloon or train car.
Your guitar looks great.

*The exception of course is the black beauty Les Paul Custom, one of the best looking guitars ever made.

edit: PS: gently caress Gibson

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Apr 25, 2017

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I've always wanted to Les Pauls but the price plus the fact I don't like guitars with shiny finishes I'd be afraid to dent has put me off. That looks like my ideal paul.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

massive spider posted:

I've always wanted to Les Pauls but the price plus the fact I don't like guitars with shiny finishes I'd be afraid to dent has put me off. That looks like my ideal paul.

lawsuit les pauls rule and are better than the real thing usually:

https://reverb.com/item/4417295-burny-fernandes-flg-60-les-paul-1978-mij-w-fenandes-stone-logo
https://reverb.com/item/4820039-ibanez-les-paul-standard-lawsuit-guitar-w-case

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Apr 24, 2017

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

ChocNitty posted:

I had an old one of these when they were called the "Vintage Mahogany" model - I think that was the first run of the satin red and brown Studios, anyway. Really, really a great Les Paul. Also, the headstock repair is not a bad thing at all (except for resale value, which is lol). Assuming it was done decently, it's now stronger there than any other Les Paul.

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

lawsuit les pauls rule and are better than the real thing usually
This is just the biggest can of worms and I'm stopping myself from writing several paragraphs right now

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Carbohydrates posted:

I had an old one of these when they were called the "Vintage Mahogany" model - I think that was the first run of the satin red and brown Studios, anyway. Really, really a great Les Paul. Also, the headstock repair is not a bad thing at all (except for resale value, which is lol). Assuming it was done decently, it's now stronger there than any other Les Paul.

This is just the biggest can of worms and I'm stopping myself from writing several paragraphs right now

some aren't some are no big whoop.

(ps gibson sucks)

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 24, 2017

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

some aren't some are no big whoop.

(ps gibson sucks)
Yeah it was largely gonna be about the semantics of what technically is and isn't (most of them) a "lawsuit guitar" and which ones are considered quality and aaaaa it's just an interesting topic

(ps gibson sucks but sometimes it's worth the BS)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Carbohydrates posted:

Yeah it was largely gonna be about the semantics of what technically is and isn't (most of them) a "lawsuit guitar" and which ones are considered quality and aaaaa it's just an interesting topic

(ps gibson sucks but sometimes it's worth the BS)

Oh definitely! It's fascinating stuff.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Gibson sucks as a company and they make awful decisions but getting a cheap or a vintage gibson still owns. One example of something to hate them for is how they treat music stores.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Can you imagine Les Paul hanging out with Henry Juszkiewicz?

"Surround yourself with happy, positive people." -Les Paul on being successful

"I will turn down all requests for long weekends and for periods of less than 5 contiguous days without special circumstances.

I also do not believe it is appropriate for a request of this kind is to be shared with others. This suggests where you are coming from [employee name]. I also do not appreciate being lied to about being ill so you can game the system to get what you want [employee name]. As soon as I return from my travels, I will schedule a private conversation about this." -Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz in a company-wide email to employees on not taking time off ever

meatcookie
Jun 2, 2007

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Can you imagine Les Paul hanging out with Henry Juszkiewicz?

"Surround yourself with happy, positive people." -Les Paul on being successful

"I will turn down all requests for long weekends and for periods of less than 5 contiguous days without special circumstances.

I also do not believe it is appropriate for a request of this kind is to be shared with others. This suggests where you are coming from [employee name]. I also do not appreciate being lied to about being ill so you can game the system to get what you want [employee name]. As soon as I return from my travels, I will schedule a private conversation about this." -Gibson CEO Henry Juszkiewicz in a company-wide email to employees on not taking time off ever

Thanks for posting that. I won't work for someone like that and I won't support a company that endorses that mindset.
One more reason I will only ever buy a used Gibson.
Also, gently caress them for not making lefty Explorers and V's.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

plerocercoid posted:

I grabbed one a few weeks ago and it's definitely a lot more complex than I thought it would be. The bass and drums are surprisingly responsive to how you play, which is cool if you like having a million options but is a bit of a pain if you're trying to match what you have in your head. I usually had to try to teach it several times before I got a rhythm section that matched what I was going for, making changes to my strumming pattern each time. I'm kind of getting a feel for how it thinks, but that's only on the blues setting and I'm sure I'll have to re-learn to some extent for every genre it can do.

That said, it is a fun practice tool for me and it's forcing me to be a bit more creative, so I'll probably stick with it.

Re: your specific thing about about teaching it multiple times - I've found in the few hours playing with it, that first 'learning' thing has to be almost totally straight strummed maj/min/dominant chords (one per bar), and then you have a full range of drum/bass parts to use. I found if i tried to do a shuffle or bum-bada-da-dum strumming pattern it gets confused and I'd end up with something quite off the wall. I think that's intentional, since your ornamented strumming/etc. can go in the first loop, right?

Captain Apollo posted:

So I got it mainly to not be at the PC every waking moment of the day, which is where I have been doing my only recording, 'song' type stuff. Even when I'm just jamming I'm normally sitting at my desk watching youtube videos of the songs or whatever and it's kind of depressing. Also quite depressing is my seemingly total inability to meet, play with or connect with any other musicians - so its' something of a last gasp to fix both of those things.

Having played with it for a while (as per the FX thread) I've found there really is alot of complexity to it - things like pre-setting fast or slow tempo, the way time stretching effects looping, to say nothing of the intricacies of multi-part songs. After about an hour I was able to lay down a decent enough chord progression, dial in some fun backing instruments and then whittle away at a solo so functionally it's fine. I'm not clear at this point how much it's worth to me, but since it was via Amazon I have a month or so to check it out.

I'd gladly appreciate any advice or further feedback.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 24, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
of all the dumb things gibson has done none are as lame as their government "gently caress you obummer" series

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

The Muppets On PCP posted:

of all the dumb things gibson has done none are as lame as their government "gently caress you obummer" series

What's this now?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Literally Elvis posted:

What's this now?

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2011/08/31/140090116/why-gibson-guitar-was-raided-by-the-justice-department

Gibson management are assholes, basically. Huge, grade A assholes.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

:cawg:

$699 for an "Ibanez Black Beauty"? That ain't it, pal - those actually say "Ibanez" and are made of, y'know, solid wood. I had plenty of these unbranded things come through my old shop and couldn't move them for $200. They're basically cereal boxes with bolt-on necks.

(Mocking the seller, not you, Dang It Bhabhi!.)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

after this gibson cut a deal and got back some of the seized wood which they made a line of guitars painted flat tan and henry went on a series of big dumb ron paul type rants to sell them to his clay-brained midlife crisis-addled customer base

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Yeah, gently caress Gibson forever.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
RE: Gibson

I concur.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Except if you don't buy into the hype you can look into used, less bluesdad-desirable models and get great guitars for not super bad money? For ex. My LP Halcyon is unique finish, full binding, aftermarket pickups, coil tap, not a scratch on it and i got it for 1300 because it had "halcyon" written on the truss rod cover.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
Thanks Craigslist!

quote:

Never been played. Just took out to take pics and kept put away. Sitting in the matching case that has tiger striped inside and labeled Gibson USA Limited Edition Dusk Tiger on the outside. Has everything that came with it. $3,500 firm. I have multiple pics I can send serious buyers.
This is the only picture in the ad itself.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol $3500

https://reverb.com/item/1935849-gibson-usa-limited-edition-dusk-tiger-118-les-paul-guitar-with-case

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Someone bought it

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Rugoberta Munchu posted:

Thanks Craigslist!

This is the only picture in the ad itself.

Finally a guitar to match my Ed Hardy shirt.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dusk Tiger is what I call my balls.

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
That's one Baz Luhrmann-rear end lookin' guitar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

That's a seriously good looking guitar. With few exceptions, I've always found that the less ornate a Les Paul is, the better it looks.*
It always seems like every time Gibson wants to fancy up a Les Paul, they put a bunch of frilly poo poo on it that ends up looking like how turn of the century super rich people might have designed a Spaghetti Western saloon or train car.
Your guitar looks great.

*The exception of course is the black beauty Les Paul Custom, one of the best looking guitars ever made.

edit: PS: gently caress Gibson

Thanks. The finish is really starting to grow on me. I like minimalist poo poo. But the main purpose of having this beat up Studio is to prevent me from dropping a lot of money on another LP.
Gibson just puts way too high a premium on cosmetic poo poo. And then there's all that snobbery and judgement that goes around in the community of LP fans. No thanks.

I agree, the black beauty with gold hardware is the bomb. I watched Buzz Osbourne of the Melvins melt peoples faces off with that guitar, at many gigs.