Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

If you search my post history in this thread you'll see that I prayed to win the lottery and almost won. Then I learned about divination and how to get answers to questions from the divine using a random number generator. I was praying a gently caress load once I learned that, and by gently caress load I mean like 100x a day.

Now that all my questions are answered and curiosities are satisfied, I feel happy and content with my life and don't really feel the need to question God anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
You do realize that the number that "almost wins" the lottery is a losing number just like any other, no?

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Caufman posted:

Do you mean like that you find certain topics of theology that once were interesting to you are now boring, or more like there is no witness-able God-willed inspiration in your day-to-day life?

Positively taking care of one's affairs, doing the things that promote the health of you and others while avoiding the things that will harm you and others, exercising your best judgment over the things you have credible responsibility over, these are all meaningful struggles to me. And since they're meaningful, I contemplate them in relation to what might be the ultimate meaning, which our brother Jesus called our father who art in heaven.

I confess that I've prayed for treasure. Cash, diamonds, career opportunities, favorable market conditions, blatant unrealistic Genie-style windfalls, I'm not particular. In studying what prayerful people have written, even beyond the Christian sacred texts, I'm repeatedly told that this pursuit of material satisfaction is a trap, and in truth I already have more than I need. That isn't the answer I wanted when I started my prayer, but is it the wrong answer? I will get back to you with my findings.

More often I've prayed requesting general or even miraculous well-being for people, myself and you all. This has been more fruitful, as I see that this is a powerful, meaningful motivation for approaching life, the struggle to come closer to what's good. In this pursuit I've learned that I am not alone in two ways: the first way is through the relations with the countless people living and dead who have adopted this struggle, and the second is (again) with the ultimate meaning, the omnipresent was-is-will-be, whom the trinitarians vow to call the Father the Son and the Holy Spirit, or at least as much of it as my fleshy bag of organic compounds is able to get close to.

These days I pray for and about many things and with as many people as are willing to join me and with as much worthwhile scriptures as I can read. If I calculated that out in minutes out of the day, it comes out to a shockingly small amount of time in comparison to what I'm spending farting around or preparing farts, so you are also safe to consider everything I say with a whiff of fart.

I used to treat God the same way I treated subjects in school, just a purely mental exercise where I'm disconnecting myself from the object of study so I can try and view the big picture without any biases

But then I realized there's no way to completely cut myself off from God or understand Him completely, so I just decided to quit caring and try to do what Jesus said

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

The Phlegmatist posted:

Poor Calvinists never got to produce any awesome art since they were afraid of nudity and depicting Jesus.

Until the Dutch Golden Age, which produced some really awesome artists like Vermeer but they still were shy of depicting religious themes.
rembrandt was dutch tho

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Poor Calvinists never got to produce any awesome art since they were afraid of nudity and depicting Jesus.

Until the Dutch Golden Age, which produced some really awesome artists like Vermeer but they still were shy of depicting religious themes.

A word from my friends Gerard van Honhorst:

And Hendrik ter Bruggheim:

And that's just keeping to Denials of Saint Peter.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
excellent details on the soldiers in both pictures :discourse:

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

That is some dope depiction of a kitty who does not want to be there!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

JcDent posted:

That is some dope depiction of a kitty who does not want to be there!

Is that a snake in his other hand? What kind of hobbies do these kids have

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Smoking Crow posted:

But then I realized there's no way to completely cut myself off from God or understand Him completely, so I just decided to quit caring and try to do what Jesus said

Christianity Thread: I decided to quit caring and try to do what Jesus said

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samuel Clemens posted:

Christianity Thread: I decided to quit caring and try to do what Jesus said

how i learned to quit worrying and love the jesus

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am sad that the tendency of artists to depict historical figures in contemporary fashions died out.

I want to see John the Baptist in jorts.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I am sad that the tendency of artists to depict historical figures in contemporary fashions died out.

I like this:

But seriously there are some cool ones, I'll try to look them up later.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
there's that gay stations of the cross set of photos where it's like jesus at a bathhouse or something like that

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Detail of the singing angels on the Ghent Altarpiece. Tag yourself, I'm the guy in the middle who's about to fall asleep

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm butthead on the right.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

OwlFancier posted:

this is my favorite jesus:

also, after having now seen a poo poo ton of historical christian art in european museums for the last month, it kinda pisses me off how all these christian painters were still constantly looking for ways to get a titty into their work. like, y'all puritanical scrubs just as horny as the rest of us but then you act all holy.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

cis autodrag posted:

this is my favorite jesus:

also, after having now seen a poo poo ton of historical christian art in european museums for the last month, it kinda pisses me off how all these christian painters were still constantly looking for ways to get a titty into their work. like, y'all puritanical scrubs just as horny as the rest of us but then you act all holy.

It seems you have internalized the puritanical scrub idea that titties can't be holy.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
remember when the vatican painted over nudes with loincloths and then restored the original paintings minus keeping a couple loincloths for historical preservation

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

P-Mack posted:

It seems you have internalized the puritanical scrub idea that titties can't be holy.

Yep.

Heck there are even a lot of extant statues of Maria Lactans in churches which I imagine freaks out a lot of conservative Catholics who scream about concupiscence all the time. If seeing a boob is an occasion of sin for you that's on your head.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm the ultra-stoned one on the far left.

Also, Christianity Thread: how i learned to quit worrying and love the jesus

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

pidan posted:

Is that a snake in his other hand? What kind of hobbies do these kids have

It's an eel. Here's the wiki entry; I imagine art historians get into fistfights about it.

quote:

There have been various interpretations of Judith Leyster's A Boy and a Girl with a Cat and an Eel by different scholars. Some, such as Neil McLaren, have argued that it represents the Dutch proverb "Een aal bij de staart hebben" (or "to hold an eel by the tail") meaning that you do not get to hold onto something just because you have it. This moralistic interpretation is supported Cynthia Kortenhorst-Von Bogendorff Rupprath argues, by the eye contact with the viewer made by the little girl in the painting as she wags her finger.

Other interpretations include allusions to other Dutch proverbs as well as the popular pastime in seventeenth century Dutch festivals or kermis of katknuppelen, the bludgeoning of cats. The depiction of children torturing or being scratched by cats was a popular one at this time in the Netherlands - often argued to allude to the Dutch proverbs "Hij doet kattekwaad", which translates literally to "he does the mischief of the cat" , or "'t Liep uit op katjesspel", the literal translation of which is "it ends in the game of the cat", which relate to mischievous or arguing children.

Leyster's own husband, Jan Miense Molenaer, included such an image in his group portrait "The Ruychaver-van der Laen Family" (c. 1629-30) in which a boy torments a girl by dangling a clawing cat at her by the tail while she shies away tending to her scratched hand. While these roles are reversed in Leyster's painting where it is the girl pulling the cat's tail, tragedy has not yet struck and the girl's eye contact and shaking finger leave it perhaps up to the viewer to interpret what result her actions will have. However Kortenhorst-Von Bogendorff Rupprath argues it would be wrong to interpret this painting as moralizing only on the girl's behalf.

The fact that the boy both holds and eel and is cackling bring in another Dutch proverb "Hij is zo glad as een aal" this proverb translates literally to "he is as glad as an eel" and means that one (often a child) is uncontrollable. Some scholars have also interpreted the eel being held as a kat aal or cat-eel, which were fed to cats as they were not worth eating. In this case it would be the boy who had enticed the cat into his grasp and he would be getting what was coming to him. There are other examples of Dutch paintings as well as poems, such as Jacob Cats in his introductory section of his book Kinderspel or Children's Games, which use children as a motif both to mock and to preach morals to adults, and it would seem, as Frima Fox Hofrichter argues, that this painting falls into that category.

Max Weber was right; early Calvinists were hosed up.

Also there's Frans Snyder during the same time period who made his career out of drawing dead animals on tables. Notice the cat. There's always cats.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That specifically looks as if a large cannnon full of dead animals was fired at the man on the left and the painting captures the results mid-flight.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yep.

Heck there are even a lot of extant statues of Maria Lactans in churches which I imagine freaks out a lot of conservative Catholics who scream about concupiscence all the time. If seeing a boob is an occasion of sin for you that's on your head.

Yep; the reason Catholics (should) talk about appropriate attire in church is to talk about respectfulness - if you are able to dress up, doing so shows respect for the place, the rest of the congregation, and Jesus who is always present in the tabernacle - not about tempting someone else. If you look at what someone else in the pew is wearing, and it distracts you from church, your job is to "keep custody of your eyes".

As far as boobs specifically go, I've nursed both my sons in church. Neither would tolerate anything covering their faces while they nursed (and I can't blame them, honestly), so odds are good that if those near me weren't keeping custody of their eyes, they saw some part of one of my breasts. Maybe even all of one of them, if the baby I was nursing decided to just unlatch, sit up, and stare around at everyone while I tried to both keep him from falling off my lap and hastily rearrange my shirt. Babies gotta eat, and I'm not gonna go out to my car and miss part of Mass because someone might have a problem with it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

zonohedron posted:

Yep; the reason Catholics (should) talk about appropriate attire in church is to talk about respectfulness - if you are able to dress up, doing so shows respect for the place, the rest of the congregation, and Jesus who is always present in the tabernacle - not about tempting someone else. If you look at what someone else in the pew is wearing, and it distracts you from church, your job is to "keep custody of your eyes".

As far as boobs specifically go, I've nursed both my sons in church. Neither would tolerate anything covering their faces while they nursed (and I can't blame them, honestly), so odds are good that if those near me weren't keeping custody of their eyes, they saw some part of one of my breasts. Maybe even all of one of them, if the baby I was nursing decided to just unlatch, sit up, and stare around at everyone while I tried to both keep him from falling off my lap and hastily rearrange my shirt. Babies gotta eat, and I'm not gonna go out to my car and miss part of Mass because someone might have a problem with it.

I'm pretty sure it would be a huge controversy if someone took their boob out to feed a baby at the church I grew up in. Like the community would never be the same level controversy.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

System Metternich posted:

Detail of the singing angels on the Ghent Altarpiece. Tag yourself, I'm the guy in the middle who's about to fall asleep

I would actively join this thread if you start playing "Tag Yourself" with religiously inspired classical art works.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

System Metternich posted:

I'm clearly the penultimate one on the right, the one who is trying to keep the tune but can't get his attention off some really weird bird that is flying by.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm the one looking at her phone

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I don't think I've ever seen anyone breast feed during a service--or at least if I have, I don't remember it--but the last time I went to the OCA church in the next county, one mom did while chatting with the priest at coffee hour.

So I might be visiting family in Anchorage this July, and I'm already looking up Orthodox churches there, trying to decide which one to visit while I'm there. There's an OCA cathedral, but there's also a Greek church that looks gorgeous from the pictures I've seen.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

The Phlegmatist posted:

Also there's Frans Snyder during the same time period who made his career out of drawing dead animals on tables. Notice the cat. There's always cats.

Scenes from the Development of the Turducken

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hoover Dam posted:

Christianity Thread II: Scenes from the Development of the Turducken

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

quote:

Kortenhorst-Von Bogendorff Rupprath

Jesus Christ, that name.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
So everybody's not-so-favorite public convert to Orthodoxy just got profiled in The New Yorker along with his weirdo Benedict Option book. Honestly all I'm gleaning from this profile is that the dude's got a massive pile of childhood issues that seem to have metastasized into a fetish for rural life and cultural homogeneity and a pathological obsession with how the nasty gays are out to get him.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the little societies he valorizes terrify me. nobody there talks about how communities like that would deal with someone who was simply different. imagine being on the outside of such a group, and how quickly the sentiment there could turn nasty...

edit: the muenster anabaptists tried to do that, and they went from zero to child prophets, rape, and possible murder very fast

edit 2: human beings can't even manage a furry convention without sliding into dysfunction, what makes him think we can build self sustaining communities from the ground up without getting reeal culty

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Apr 27, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i read two very good articles about religious people today.
this one is on a progressive protestant minister, the thing i would like to point out is how long he['s been involved in politics, and he hasn't given up.
http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a54573/reverend-william-barber-progressive-christianity/
this one is about a poor, small town in india with 6000 people in it. two families are hindu, the rest are muslim. one of the hindus died and his father didn't have the money to bury him, so the muslims buried him themselves.
http://www.hindustantimes.com/kolka...A1HCoReq3H.html

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

the little societies he valorizes terrify me. nobody there talks about how communities like that would deal with someone who was simply different. imagine being on the outside of such a group, and how quickly the sentiment there could turn nasty...

edit: the muenster anabaptists tried to do that, and they went from zero to child prophets, rape, and possible murder very fast

edit 2: human beings can't even manage a furry convention without sliding into dysfunction, what makes him think we can build self sustaining communities from the ground up without getting reeal culty

It was seriously hilarious studying Anapatist history as a Mennonite high schooler (and thus looking at sources written by and for Mennonites). Whenever we got around to Muenster it was all defensive WE'RE NOT ALL CRAZY APOCALYPSE CULTISTS (p.s. Muenster was really hosed up guys) BUT SERIOUSLY WE'RE NOT ALL LIKE THAT AT ALL HEY LET'S TALK ABOUT GEORG BLAUROCK SOME MORE.

But yeah, I get romanticizing things that seem to avoid the excesses you're used to, and there's good and bad in pretty much every way humans organize themselves, but you only have to look at some of the problems that, say, the Amish have had on occasion (I don't have specific anecdotes, but one hears things) to get that, while their way of life more or less works for them, it's not all roses and buggies.

Or, you know, just try growing up in a small rural town and then tell me that tiny insular communities are perfect and blameless and holy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

docbeard posted:

Or, you know, just try growing up in a small rural town and then tell me that tiny insular communities are perfect and blameless and holy.
he did. it's just they liked his sister more than they liked him and he's had a chip on his shoulder ever since.

and big cities are just the same, just imagine a small town squished into a single block. i used to live in a building full of chinese immigrants and everyone on our floor would open their doors and sit in the hallways and chat in the evenings, it was a little town just thirteen stories up. small towns or deliberate communities don't make you any more virtuous, and if anything goes wrong it's harder to get help.

and, uh, at least you're pacifists now? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

and big cities are just the same, just imagine a small town squished into a single block. i used to live in a building full of chinese immigrants and everyone on our floor would open their doors and sit in the hallways and chat in the evenings, it was a little town just thirteen stories up. small towns or deliberate communities don't make you any more virtuous, and if anything goes wrong it's harder to get help.

I live in a big city and I don't know the names of any of my neighbors.

I think some people just don't mesh with the situation they grew up in, and idolize the opposite of that, whether that's a small tight-knit community or a big cosmopolitan city.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GAIL posted:

Oh yeah, I've done both and as far as I can tell, the main difference is that big cities have more takeout options.

quote:

and, uh, at least you're pacifists now? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ahem we were always pacifists always always never mind that one time besides, they were, uh anablerptists, completely different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

HEY GAIL posted:

The Jim Jones Option

I like how the article offhandedly mentions the growth of Christian communes in the 1960s without pointing out the vast majority of them were apocalyptic Pentecostal death cults.

docbeard posted:

But yeah, I get romanticizing things that seem to avoid the excesses you're used to, and there's good and bad in pretty much every way humans organize themselves, but you only have to look at some of the problems that, say, the Amish have had on occasion (I don't have specific anecdotes, but one hears things) to get that, while their way of life more or less works for them, it's not all roses and buggies.

I think a lot of it is Dreher's childhood nostalgia. When you're a kid, you don't have to deal with the worst parts of living in an insular community like the gossip and backbiting, the hard labor, inadequate access to medical care or the crushing boredom.

• Locked thread