Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

You don't have testers, you do TDD so all the software is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

Sagacity posted:

Right. What makes it so hard to just ask for a *single* requirements doc? Is it fear of confrontation or arguing with a superior?
Mostly I think it's the effort involved in understanding requirements that might come from different people in different formats enough to consolidate them, and being too timid/lazy/stupid to challenge or question any of it, even when it conflicts.

To be fair though if you work on a project where there's a bunch of top level execs competing to contribute the most so they can claim the project is their baby, the flood of wildly conflicting and poorly thought out bikeshedding.txt JIRAs can be too much for any sane mind to handle.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

toiletbrush posted:

Mostly I think it's the effort involved in understanding requirements that might come from different people in different formats enough to consolidate them, and being too timid/lazy/stupid to challenge or question any of it, even when it conflicts.

To be fair though if you work on a project where there's a bunch of top level execs competing to contribute the most so they can claim the project is their baby, the flood of wildly conflicting and poorly thought out bikeshedding.txt JIRAs can be too much for any sane mind to handle.

I have never understood this. Perhaps it's my former consulting career but there is nothing I love more than shoving a lovely spec back to its owner and asking for clarification. Deadlines get adjusted, deliverables gets adjusted, my life gets easier.

I find it works best if you wrangle it a bit yourself, and try to find a compromise between all the disparities, and present that to whoever. "Ok, so for the chat module, it seems like we need a text editor and real-time message delivery. Probably going to use the plugin that Hendricks wrote for the other thing with the websockets, and our standard auth. Is this what you had in mind?" Most lazy/overwhelmed PMs will just say yes at this point unless its totally wrong, and if you did this whole thing by email, now you have paperwork you can point to if anyone gets antsy.

If there are multiple specs that are completely irreconcilable, then it becomes even easier - you highlight the mutually incompatible parts, present both to the PM, and say, "Which way do you want me to go on this?"

I guess it doesn't feel like coding because it barely involves typing, but reducing the amount of code you even think about writing is one of the biggest efficiency improvements you can make.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

vonnegutt posted:

Deadlines get adjusted, deliverables gets adjusted, my life gets easier.

:lol: What reality is this in?
Because I want in.

toiletbrush
May 17, 2010

vonnegutt posted:

I have never understood this. Perhaps it's my former consulting career but there is nothing I love more than shoving a lovely spec back to its owner and asking for clarification. Deadlines get adjusted, deliverables gets adjusted, my life gets easier.
Same here, I love spotting edge cases and asking awkward questions in client meetings and estimation/planning and whatnot. So many features get dramatically simplified or even cut because stuff has been proposed and sometimes even accepted seemingly without being thought through.

Very few of the BAs/PMs/owners I've worked with have been any good at it, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

vonnegutt posted:

Deadlines get adjusted, deliverables gets adjusted,

:cawg:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it considered normal/kosher to push in changes for an unrelated ticket to your PRs? My coworker was just s out to approve another coworkers PR but he suddenly pushed changes that we didn't expect, and I suggest occasions like that, where stuff goes under the radar, is a cause of unforeseen and difficult to trace bugs and regressions in our project.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Pollyanna posted:

Is it considered normal/kosher to push in changes for an unrelated ticket to your PRs? My coworker was just s out to approve another coworkers PR but he suddenly pushed changes that we didn't expect, and I suggest occasions like that, where stuff goes under the radar, is a cause of unforeseen and difficult to trace bugs and regressions in our project.

I hate when PRs have unrelated stuff in them. PRs are for specific features or fixes. Occasionally, a tiny fix can go in something unrelated, but if it's more than a line or two (with a commit message like "found this tiny error in process, fixed while testing" or somesuch), it needs its own PR.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That other coworker just declined a pull request for a basic copy change due to a bug in a completely unrelated part of the code base. Is it wrong of me to be pissed off over this? It's not even my PR but it's ridiculous for a really simple, basic PR to be rejected because there's a bug in a totally different part of the codebase.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Pollyanna posted:

That other coworker just declined a pull request for a basic copy change due to a bug in a completely unrelated part of the code base. Is it wrong of me to be pissed off over this? It's not even my PR but it's ridiculous for a really simple, basic PR to be rejected because there's a bug in a totally different part of the codebase.

Wait, so he declined because there wasn't unrelated stuff in the PR?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

a foolish pianist posted:

Wait, so he declined because there wasn't unrelated stuff in the PR?

The PR and related ticket was a copy change in a modal popover. The PR was rejected because the header for the modal looked different between two different versions of the app (insurance calculators sharing a common but copy-pasted codebase). The header was not the subject of the ticket nor was touched as part of the PR.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Fix that in the parent branch and rebase the PR branch into the fixed parent branch.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HardDiskD posted:

Fix that in the parent branch and rebase the PR branch into the fixed parent branch.

Yes, but that still doesn't excuse declining an unrelated PR.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Wait, your coworker straight up declined and closed the PR?

Edit: TBF I wouldn't also accept the PR until that was fixed, so maybe the horror is me. :shrug:

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 25, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HardDiskD posted:

Wait, your coworker straight up declined and closed the PR?

Yep. "These things in another part of the codebase look different. Please change them and put the PR back up. *decline*"

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 25, 2017

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

HardDiskD posted:

TBF I wouldn't also accept the PR until that was fixed, so maybe the horror is me. :shrug:

Why? If a PR for a ticket to change the wording for an element is put up and then declined because the styling is off for some other element, how does that make sense? The error was neither introduced in the PR nor does the PR cause any regressions. Does an existing bug prevent any work at all from being done on a codebase until it is fixed? That sounds like a huge blocker.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Yeah, if the guy wants something unrelated to get fixed, make a ticket, fix the thing in its own fix-branch, make a PR, done.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Pollyanna posted:

If a PR for a ticket to change the wording for an element is put up and then declined because the styling is off for some other element, how does that make sense?

It doesn't.

I used to hate declining pull requests, because the interface always just slammed the door shut, compared to having a discussion and trying to work it out. I hated even more when I happened to open a pull request I wasn't added to and found a problem in it that the other reviewers didn't catch. I always felt like such a jerk for butting in and asking for a fix.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Why? If a PR for a ticket to change the wording for an element is put up and then declined because the styling is off for some other element, how does that make sense? The error was neither introduced in the PR nor does the PR cause any regressions.Does an existing bug prevent any work at all from being done on a codebase until it is fixed? That sounds like a huge blocker.

No, work can still happen in other branches, but I wouldn't merge any until the parent is fixed. Yeah, it is a huge blocker, but something has already failed if a commit/branch with bugs already went into a dev/master branch.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 25, 2017

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

That other coworker just declined a pull request for a basic copy change due to a bug in a completely unrelated part of the code base.

Reminds me of the job I got fired from back in January. My PRs would get rejected for not meeting their unique coding standards. When I changed one line in a 1000 line JS file, they'd expect me to fix the entire file to match their new style.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

HardDiskD posted:

No, work can still happen in other branches, but I wouldn't merge any until the parent is fixed. Yeah, it is a huge blocker, but something has already failed if a commit/branch with bugs already went into a dev/master branch.

This sounds insane. If there's something else broken on master, make a separate ticket and fix separately. Unless you're in a shop where there's only ever 1 bug at a time, in which case get me a job there.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also, is it normal for someone to hijack one of your PRs? Said other coworker also regularly takes a branch I or my coworker are working on and adds his own commits, often with changes not originally outlined in the ticket. I kind of take umbrage to this cause I'm in charge of my branches and PRs and if something breaks cause someone else adds their own poo poo onto it without my knowledge that's something I personally have to answer for. Please don't loving add to my branch, merge your commits in another branch to my branch, or merge my PRs in without my consent.

Maybe I'm being too hard-rear end here, but it's poo poo like this that leads to confusion and weird regressions and bugs. Also, it's rude.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

a foolish pianist posted:

This sounds insane. If there's something else broken on master, make a separate ticket and fix separately. Unless you're in a shop where there's only ever 1 bug at a time, in which case get me a job there.

I'm the horror, then. :v:

:murder:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Oh my god if someone started committing to my feature branch without at least talking to me first I would lose my goddamn poo poo

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Same.

Forcibly push your version and eliminate his changes.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Why are people who do dumb things like that so motivated to do them.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Pollyanna posted:

Also, is it normal for someone to hijack one of your PRs?

Dude, you said your ops team quit en masse a couple days ago. Nothing normal is going on.

Unrelated bug-fixes in a PR isn't an automatic rejection, but it's polite to mention it. Like "fixes bug X. I also had to fix bug Y before I was able to diagnose the problem."

Rejecting a PR because a bug exists elsewhere is moronic. Refusing to merge a PR like HardDiskD says can be reasonable depending on the bug. Sometimes, the bug in master isn't killing anybody but it's impossible to fix when assholes keep merging more code in. At that point, you have to just say "look, this bug is a bigger deal than it looks so it's a P0" (or whatever you call a drop-everything bug).

Touching someone else's feature branch without explicit permission is hosed up. Do they also snatch your keyboard and leave finger-grease smears all over it? Because that's the same goddamn thing.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

Volmarias posted:

Same.

Forcibly push your version and eliminate his changes.

Yesss another use-case for force-push :getin:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Mniot posted:

Touching someone else's feature branch without explicit permission is hosed up. Do they also snatch your keyboard and leave finger-grease smears all over it? Because that's the same goddamn thing.

Or pointing at something on your screen and touching it.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I'm rewriting a significant portion of the web app I've been working on for the last few months. There was a whole application role with screens and reports written for a certain important individual. Turns out the requirements were written without ever really consulting her because she's such a pain to deal with. They just kinda tried to reverse engineer her job and basically everything is wrong.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fire Fast sounds pretty good right now. Even if it is capitalist dreck.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I sure do love APIs where the documentation says to pass a blob of JSON but doesn't give an example or any sort of structure to the blob

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

Also, is it normal for someone to hijack one of your PRs? Said other coworker also regularly takes a branch I or my coworker are working on and adds his own commits, often with changes not originally outlined in the ticket. I kind of take umbrage to this cause I'm in charge of my branches and PRs and if something breaks cause someone else adds their own poo poo onto it without my knowledge that's something I personally have to answer for. Please don't loving add to my branch, merge your commits in another branch to my branch, or merge my PRs in without my consent.

Maybe I'm being too hard-rear end here, but it's poo poo like this that leads to confusion and weird regressions and bugs. Also, it's rude.

Just push a new branch name from before his commits and move on. It's the same effect as force push without being aggressive about it.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Polio Vax Scene posted:

I sure do love APIs where the documentation says to pass a blob of JSON but doesn't give an example or any sort of structure to the blob
I had to work with an API where the output was--I wish I was kidding--a blob of malformed HTML.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I had to work with an API where the output was--I wish I was kidding--a blob of malformed HTML.

I've had one with an error response with status code 200 type JSON that just had a string "error".

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

The best I've seen was a JSON API half-assedly bolted onto an existing system, so the happy path stuff was JSON but the errors were IIS' default HTML pages.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

jony neuemonic posted:

The best I've seen was a JSON API half-assedly bolted onto an existing system, so the happy path stuff was JSON but the errors were IIS' default HTML pages.

This one prints the stack trace in the error page

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

I had to provide support for an integration that sent us XML that didn't validate against the schema file they sent us. We had to massage the schema to generate code that would validate the requests they were sending us. You have certainly heard of the company that did this moronic thing.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Thought I posted this but looks like it got eaten...

It's a blob of JSON. That should mean that it's a opaque bit of data that the API never inspects. That's what 'blob' means isn't it? pass "{}" and it should be perfectly fine, or the person writing the documentation needs to look up the definition of blob.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The one I deal with outputs a 403 forbidden with a massive Python stack trace like this:

code:
{
  "data": {
    "model:" {
      "error":  "Error: Error in API. Please tell <API author> about this. Traceback (most recent call last):\n  File "main.py", line 10, in <module>\n    main()\n  File "library.py", line 7, in main\n    throws()\n  File "other_library.py", line 4, in throws\n    raise RuntimeError('Error in API. Please tell <API Author> about this.') Error: Error in API. Please tell <API author> about this. "
    }
  }
}