Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

3 days until the first good exclusive game on the Switch!

Excuse me sir, Fast RMX was released nearly two months ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

minusX posted:

The last DLC characters had plans to have amiibo for like ever

Oh I know, but what I posted is less of an asspull than the FFVII remake coming out on Switch, though.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
im rank 3 in nc in puyo puyo tetris

fite me.

What's the one game mode where it's like rapid-fire solve the Tetris puzzle? I think there's one that you're supposed to T-spin, but I didn't get it that one at all.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I am currently downloading puyo puyo tetris and am going to own bones at puzzles

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
i honestly don't know why but i was excited as gently caress for tetris: anime edition and was refreshing the store page since i woke up this morning to buy it

downloaded it and tried to play it on my lunch break and only got to do one round due to the 10 minute cutscene at the start

edit: I also broke down and bought BoI because I thought maybe it being portable would make me finally enjoy it and it still just feels like an early 2000s newgrounds flash game

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I am incredibly bad at puyo puyo. :buddy:

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Phone posted:

im rank 3 in nc in puyo puyo tetris

fite me.

What's the one game mode where it's like rapid-fire solve the Tetris puzzle? I think there's one that you're supposed to T-spin, but I didn't get it that one at all.

Big bang

Twists don't show up until later normally but you can mess with the game settings to make the hard stuff show up almost immediately

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

What are some beginner tips for Puyo? I have no idea how to set up chains. My mind can't wrap itself around that.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

What are some beginner tips for Puyo? I have no idea how to set up chains. My mind can't wrap itself around that.

You need to get into the habit of watching your upcoming blocks and planning ahead. Tetris is much more forgiving in that regard.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Policenaut posted:

Oh I guess Tecmo Koei likes how they're doing with Switch because they just announced the new Nobunaga's Ambition game and they added a Switch version to their usual PC/PS4 versions.

Then again I guess it won't matter on this end if TK USA only decides to localize the PC/PS4 versions like they're doing for the new RoTK game.

They need to stop making a billion Nobunaga games and make a new Uncharted Waters game (only make it fun like the SNES games and not hours of boredom like the MMO). Or just put all of their SNES games on the Switch's VC if/when it comes out.

Yikes A Zombie! posted:

MK8D arrives Friday. The kids and I are home all day Saturday. Win win win ?

What're the kids going to do while you spend all day playing Mario Kart???

Norns posted:

I want Monster Hunter

:yeah:

Announce MH, Pokemon, and maybe a couple other games for the Switch at E3 and watch people go apeshit.

Phantasium posted:

I mean it is kind of silly that Cloud's getting an amiibo this late when Smash is so old and people aren't going to buy a Wii U to play it but that's more supporting the idea that the Switch will get a Smash port eventually than FFVII.

Whatever Smash Bros game they make for Switch can and likely will have specific unlocks for every single Smash-related amiibo, just like how all the LotZ ones have their own potential rewards in BotW. If Smash Bros Switch would let you swap out cosmetics for your fighters maybe Cloud's Amiibo would unlock the Buster Sword and you could have Link Ike use it.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

robodex posted:

edit: I also broke down and bought BoI because I thought maybe it being portable would make me finally enjoy it and it still just feels like an early 2000s newgrounds flash game

It is, but it's also been iterated on for years.

I never got into it for aesthetic reasons but I'm mighty glad I got into it on the Switch for convenience reasons at this point in time for content reasons -- there's a ton of stuff in there that it doesn't throw at you right away. Beating the boss is really just getting started.

I'd say it took, hmm, four hours of gameplay to click for me? It's an especially good while-tired game, which Fast RMX and Has Been Heroes definitely are not.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Try this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJszHBGaYh0

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

robodex posted:

i honestly don't know why but i was excited as gently caress for tetris: anime edition and was refreshing the store page since i woke up this morning to buy it

downloaded it and tried to play it on my lunch break and only got to do one round due to the 10 minute cutscene at the start

I felt the same way about BoI but by the second hour I was hooked. It's a good game, just sucks it looks like poop.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Evil Fluffy posted:

They need to stop making a billion Nobunaga games and make a new Uncharted Waters game (only make it fun like the SNES games and not hours of boredom like the MMO). Or just put all of their SNES games on the Switch's VC if/when it comes out.

They've made like 2 of them in the past decade, and a spinoff of one of those two.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Are there cheaters in this game..? Because i just ran into a dude who blew me away in tetris in about 15-20 seconds. Like just constant slamming down pieces instantly and doing tetris after tetris. Or maybe it was some sort of ultra-nerd tetris savant..? What the heck.

pippy
May 29, 2013

CRIMES
Literally watched 5 minutes of that and won my first puyo. Sure it was easy mode but still.

eonwe posted:

literally just practice and maybe watch some youtube vids on strategy

puyo and tetris are easy to pick up and play, but really hard to master.

i certainly haven't. im bad.

I know how to do a chain!!!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

robodex posted:

its the best flashgrounds game in existence

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Okay I'm looking at replays online and I guess there are just ultimate tetris gods out there waiting to crush my balls like holy heck

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Puyo Puyo Tetris is incredibly fun, and I got to say for the 2 extra bucks the keychains weren't that bad a deal for the physical (I would have gotten physical anyways).

On another note, anyone else really like the case design for Switch games? It really allows for the art to shine, has enough space for interesting detail, but doesn't waste a ton of space but allows for things to be put inside if wanted by the developer so I don't feel like I'm wasting a ton of physical space to store them, although right now I got all of 3 (soon to be 4) physical copies of any games so they just sit on my desk near my monitor for easy access when I play switch at my desk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm just not grasping Puyo Puyo. The tutorial makes it sound like it's as easy as just building stacks of colors, but it never works out that way for me. I start building stacks based on the colors I'm seeing coming up next. Then once I get going, something pops up with two colors that aren't anywhere near each other on my board. I guess I just don't understand the rules for what color combos will be if there are any. Trying to use any sort of strategy in any mode besides single player causes me to end up with piles of garbage from the AI. The only way I've been able to beat the AI in puyo is to just go for any group of 4 I can get.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I was like 'heh: I can occasionally get a T-spin to work' and this other guy was like 'lmbo OK scrub have a double T-spin into a tetris, and die beneath my boot'

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah I'm not going anywhere near online. People are way too good at tetris for me to bother.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Cojawfee posted:

I'm just not grasping Puyo Puyo. The tutorial makes it sound like it's as easy as just building stacks of colors, but it never works out that way for me. I start building stacks based on the colors I'm seeing coming up next. Then once I get going, something pops up with two colors that aren't anywhere near each other on my board. I guess I just don't understand the rules for what color combos will be if there are any. Trying to use any sort of strategy in any mode besides single player causes me to end up with piles of garbage from the AI. The only way I've been able to beat the AI in puyo is to just go for any group of 4 I can get.

Yeah I kinda fumbled my way through puyo puyo and then noticed that there are tutorials later, but basically I find that the 'sandwich' method of pulling off chains is a whole lot easier than trying to do staircases. Just try to train yourself to sort your colours apart from eachother.

A trick I use if the other guy is pressuring me is to build a very tall stack of puyos on one side of my board so that if garbage rains down i can still access them from the side and start clearing my board and dig towards my chain starters.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I didn't even know what a t-spin was until a few weeks ago. Is there actual skill rankings in this game so those assholes can go play in their own league?

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 25, 2017

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Puyo Puyo Tetris is incredibly fun, and I got to say for the 2 extra bucks the keychains weren't that bad a deal for the physical (I would have gotten physical anyways).

On another note, anyone else really like the case design for Switch games? It really allows for the art to shine, has enough space for interesting detail, but doesn't waste a ton of space but allows for things to be put inside if wanted by the developer so I don't feel like I'm wasting a ton of physical space to store them, although right now I got all of 3 (soon to be 4) physical copies of any games so they just sit on my desk near my monitor for easy access when I play switch at my desk.

its a box for your videogame

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

C-SPAN Caller posted:

I didn't even know what a t-spin was until a few weeks ago. Is there actual skill rankings in this game so those assholes can go play in their own league?

I mean, there's ranked points, but the matchmaking seems to ignore them sometimes? The game I got steamrolled the guy had 5000ish points, the top of the leaderboard has 9000, and you start at 2000. Seems to be approx 40 points per win I guess? Maybe it'll sort itself out in a day or two.

Out of 3 games I had 1 where I beat the other guy pretty handily, one where I got absolutely obliterated, and one where I almost lost and then my set up paid off and I came back, so I guess the matchmaking is decent.

If you get matched with someone who is obviously way beyond you you can back out instead of confirming the match up so there's that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

bef posted:

its the best flashgrounds game in existence

Alien Hominid. :colbert:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think the Issac remake pixel art looks pretty good and it was super ugly when it actually was a flash game. I do prefer that ones soundtrack though.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Puyo Puyo Tetris is rad and all but for the love of God why can't I customize the controls. I j-j-just want to move hard drop from up to a face button...

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

People are acting like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is exclusive and... it's not?

Jimmy Hats posted:

Are there cheaters in this game..? Because i just ran into a dude who blew me away in tetris in about 15-20 seconds. Like just constant slamming down pieces instantly and doing tetris after tetris. Or maybe it was some sort of ultra-nerd tetris savant..? What the heck.

Look up S2LSoftner on youtube and cry

Spellman
May 31, 2011

drat you super mario 64 remake... drat you!!!!

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah if you've never seen the people who are good at Tetris Grandmaster 3: Terror Instinct (yes that's the full title) then running into someone like that online would seem like they're cheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPQFeMRXwmg&t=4998s

(1:23:18)

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

LethalGeek posted:

Yeah if you've never seen the people who are good at Tetris Grandmaster 3: Terror Instinct (yes that's the full title) then running into someone like that online would seem like they're cheating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPQFeMRXwmg&t=4998s

(1:23:18)

Why do all the Tetris pros like this version over others?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jimmy Hats posted:

Watch literally any of the Tetris speedrunners from AGDQ/SGDQ because yes, there are people who will crush you so badly that you can't believe you weren't playing against a bot.

e: beaten by leathgeek.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

C-SPAN Caller posted:

There is a ranked matchmaking, yeah. And a non ranked mode. And you can filter people based on their connection which is cool, wish Smash Bros would have had that

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

S2LSOFTENER is the guy SEGA asked to handle their guides on their own channel. Seriously tho if you want to see high level Puyo AND Tetris give his channel a watch. Dudes ranked 9999 for a reason.

TerraGoetia
Feb 21, 2011

A cup of spiders.
I am a girl who likes games but my gay lover is bad at games. Can infinite mini-golf spice up our withered romance?

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

SeANMcBAY posted:

Why do all the Tetris pros like this version over others?

Because it presents a challenge and you get to call yourself a Grandmaster of Tetris if you succeed in a prolonged trial.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I should clarify and say I don't HATE BoI but I do regret spending 50 dollars on it. Yeah it has a million items and a lot of hidden stuff but in the end it's Just Another Indie Roguelike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

LethalGeek posted:

Just practicing needlessly getting worked up about things in the Games subforum.

Don't worry, I'm sure no one would believe you'd make an unironic hilariously sad console warrior post in here anyway.

• Locked thread