Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i was pretty sure the engineer drinking the goo on the barren planet at the start of prometheus was meant to be them colonising earth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

alf_pogs posted:

i was pretty sure the engineer drinking the goo on the barren planet at the start of prometheus was meant to be them colonising earth.

So was I, then they used the same shot with the lake and the cleft for Covenant. I am probably totally wrong.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The lake in Prometheus is in Iceland, the one in Covenant is in New Zealand.

I don't think they look that similar? The Iceland one is actually somewhat iconic in real life.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

alf_pogs posted:

Ridley Scott was asked about that scene in an interview and responded "how do you know that's earth?"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Bugblatter posted:

You're not very well travelled.

I can vouch for it being a rare novelty in Norway. I've gone to the movies every other weekend for eighteen years now. I've seen cheering five times.

Two were for Scandinavian movies with the actors present. Their movies sucked, but it would've been rude not to applaud. One time was after a 30 minute commotion with a drunk rear end in a top hat where the security guard tried and failed miserably to talk sense into him and got in an awkward slap fight. Two cops showed up, cuffed the guy and dragged him out by his feet, his dumb head hitting every step of the stairs on their way down the rows. Another was during the Terminator 3 reveal teaser where the liquid metal T3 made the audience flip the gently caress out. The last was a standing ovation for the Force Awakens crawl.

I like it when it comes from a sincere place. It would be annoying if people did it for everything.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Apr 24, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The first scene is not supposed to be definitively on any planet, its just there to show us that the Engineers use the black goo to seed planets with life. It could be Earth, but that's not really relevant to the scene. We find out later in the movie that the Engineers have done this with countless planets, so it doesn't really matter if the one we see at the beginning is Earth or not.

That scene is mostly interesting because of the ship that appears in the sky, which is completely unlike the two Engineer ships we've seen. It suggests that we really haven't seen a whole lot of their culture/technology, probably just the tip of the iceberg. I'd guess it's like if you met some Artic researchers at an isolated camp in the middle of the Artic circle, there's only so much you can learn from that camp about human existence and culture because its not representative of the larger whole.

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Honestly the biggest change after 9/11 was the government cracking down on shooting your guns into the ceiling at the end of a movie. You can still do it outside, but waiting a couple minutes to exit the theater really takes away from the celebration.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Dinosaurs! posted:

Honestly the biggest change after 9/11 was the government cracking down on shooting your guns into the ceiling at the end of a movie. You can still do it outside, but waiting a couple minutes to exit the theater really takes away from the celebration.

This is true, and is explored further in this excellent documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWZTTtE5_zQ

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

cargohills posted:

Nobody does this outside of America.

What are appropriate reactions to entertainment outside of Amerikkka? Like sagely nodding? Is smiling ok?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

writing user reviews on rotten tomatoes while stoicly contemplating what is canon

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

alf_pogs posted:

writing user reviews on rotten tomatoes while stoicly contemplating what is canon
I am canon.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Basebf555 posted:

That scene is mostly interesting because of the ship that appears in the sky, which is completely unlike the two Engineer ships we've seen. It suggests that we really haven't seen a whole lot of their culture/technology, probably just the tip of the iceberg.

That was their creators/gods.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 204 days!

Lord Krangdar posted:

That was their creators/gods.

It's just them but dressed differently.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hodgepodge posted:

I think he's probably referring to the ship that appears in the scene. At the very least it suggests that there's much more to the Engineers than just what we see in the film. I mean, of course there is, they're an advanced spacefaring civilization. Obviously there's going to be more to their culture and society than just one or two derelict spaceships.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Xenomrph posted:

I am canon.

drat right.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

I am canon.

if anyone is, its definitely you

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hodgepodge posted:

Those guys were filmed but not actually in the movie, we just see the ship. They took it out because they wanted the engineers to look like big humans while still seemingly being inaccessible to our full understanding. When Shaw has the axe briefly at the end that was also from a cut scene where she struggles directly with the engineer with it, but they wanted to keep the impression that they're way beyond what a human is capable of and that if one gets its hands on someone they're dead.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Anyone want to see what it's like to be a cute widdle neomorph bursting out of someone's back?

https://youtu.be/OFLy949LG24

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I am canon.

You have zero input in regards to production, story, design, and what is and isn't officially recognized by Fox. By your own definition you're fan fiction at best.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

ruddiger posted:

You have zero input in regards to production, story, design, and what is and isn't officially recognized by Fox. By your own definition you're fan fiction at best.

Party pooper

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

You have zero input in regards to production, story, design, and what is and isn't officially recognized by Fox.
I was being facetious, but Fox does tap the fandom from time to time. There are some projects percolating.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 25, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Just make ruddiger more angry in whatever it is you're doing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Just make ruddiger more angry in whatever it is you're doing.

lol calm down. I'm not the weirdo who writes multi-page stories on my hang-ups over dumb poo poo like the difference between canon and continuity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-pt715HlVU&t=14s

xeno, quit writing fanfic about your adventures with Fox execs.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 25, 2017

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

Anyone want to see what it's like to be a cute widdle neomorph bursting out of someone's back?

https://youtu.be/OFLy949LG24

Well this is certainly something

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

UmOk posted:

What are appropriate reactions to entertainment outside of Amerikkka? Like sagely nodding? Is smiling ok?

Are you not capable of enjoying something without clapping?

Bugblatter posted:

You're not very well travelled.

Maybe people do it in other countries but I've never seen it in a regular cinema in the UK. Is it a nerd thing? Midnight openings or something?

cargohills fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 25, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

cargohills posted:

How else can you express to the DCP file how much you enjoyed the movie?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

lol calm down. I'm not the weirdo who writes multi-page stories on my hang-ups over dumb poo poo like the difference between canon and continuity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-pt715HlVU&t=14s

xeno, quit writing fanfic about your adventures with Fox execs.
lol okay

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cargohills posted:

Maybe people do it in other countries but I've never seen it in a regular cinema in the UK. Is it a nerd thing? Midnight openings or something?

It's very much a white nerd thing but goes away quickly each passing day past opening. Nerds will hoot and clap and yell when they recognise a starwars thing on the screen in front of them, or a comic book man says that line he says in the comic. I made sure to see the new starwars at least a week or two before I came out to avoid that poo poo (although I should have waited forever and just not seen that trash) I'm sure they do this in the UK and europe too.

In other countries and cultures though people can be way more vocal about how they are feeling during a movie and it's not limited to the bottom of the barrel nerds or certain genres, it's all movies. Really noisy audiences can make a lovely movie fun, or ruin a good movie. It's a double edged sword!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

xeno is consistently a polite and well-researched source of all things alien; opinions on their hobbies aside, i dunno know why you'd want to poke jibes at them in the alien 3 thread of all places

also welp god drat the neomorph VR experience with sound on is something else. i actually kind of hope the characters are unlikable vacuums of personality this time around, cuz it seems they're going to go in nasty ways

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
If you're a fan of Superstar Rajni in India, good lucking hearing a single line of dialogue if you see the movie in a theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHtomFSmb1k

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

alf_pogs posted:

xeno is consistently a polite and well-researched source of all things alien; opinions on their hobbies aside, i dunno know why you'd want to poke jibes at them in the alien 3 thread of all places

also welp god drat the neomorph VR experience with sound on is something else. i actually kind of hope the characters are unlikable vacuums of personality this time around, cuz it seems they're going to go in nasty ways

Ruddiger has a huge throbbing e-boner for Xeno for some reason. It's loving weird

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I used to have an Alien 3 baseball cap exactly like the one you see Fincher and some crew wearing during some of the film's making of footage. It was given to me by my brother because he got it to due some super super distant connection his job had with Fox. But I lost it years ago during a move and am still occasionally sad about it to this day.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

UmOk posted:

Ruddiger has a huge throbbing e-boner for Xeno for some reason. It's loving weird

I only have a problem when dude pretends to conflate his actual involvement in the franchise (hint: it's zero), it's not as bad as all your hate boners for SMG, which aren't localized to one thread I might add.

And it's not like he's the only one I give it to. I poo poo on a lot of bad goon opinions, xeno's nothing special.

Basebf555 posted:

If you're a fan of Superstar Rajni in India, good lucking hearing a single line of dialogue if you see the movie in a theatre.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHtomFSmb1k

That reminds me of my buddy getting mad at me after seeing some comedy at the theater because he said I was laughing so hard during the movie I was literally slapping my knee, which I had no recollection of at all. He said it was so loud and annoying he thought I was making fun of the movie by over exaggerating my reaction until he realized that no, I'm just that loud and oafish when I laugh.

That Indian theater looks like a good time.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

I only have a problem when dude pretends to conflate his actual involvement in the franchise (hint: it's zero)
If you say so. :)

Neo Rasa posted:

I used to have an Alien 3 baseball cap exactly like the one you see Fincher and some crew wearing during some of the film's making of footage. It was given to me by my brother because he got it to due some super super distant connection his job had with Fox. But I lost it years ago during a move and am still occasionally sad about it to this day.
That kind of stuff turns up on eBay from time to time.

I don't know how I got it, but I've got a crew baseball cap for Skyline of all loving movies.
Directed by the Brothers Strause, of AvP Requiem fame.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Those guys got real salty on the AvPG forums back in the day. Really lost respect for them.

They shoulda known that they were playing with Fire and owned up to it. Barfing baby aliens lmao.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

If you say so. :)

My bad, I forgot you and Ridley were tight.

:rolleyes:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lmao dude you just can't stop.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If you're going to do nothing but be a cheerleader to the fuckery then sit your goony rear end down. Xeno's over here posting dumb poo poo like "I am canon" or "fox got the fan community on tap wink wink" then yeah I'm going to make fun of him for it. Quit begging for attention just because you want to stick up for your bf.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

My bad, I forgot you and Ridley were tight.

:rolleyes:

I didn't say that. There are some projects I might help out with, we'll see what happens. :)

My "I am canon" post was a joke, because canon is a silly concept. I know humor sometimes eludes you, it's okay.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ruddiger posted:

I only have a problem when dude pretends to conflate his actual involvement in the franchise (hint: it's zero), it's not as bad as all your hate boners for SMG, which aren't localized to one thread I might add.

And it's not like he's the only one I give it to. I poo poo on a lot of bad goon opinions, xeno's nothing special.

drat dude, thanks for being a creepy stalker. You shouldn't get so worked up.