Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

If you don't double sleeve, arguing over which is better is pointless. Its basically depending on if you like or dislike the black background in the sleeve. Shuffle and durability are almost the same.

So I double sleeve, which one is better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Chill la Chill posted:

So I double sleeve, which one is better?

Ultra pro for sure.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Sickening posted:

It has a huge chance of loving up at least half of a season before it can even be banned. Half of a season is pretty loving huge.

Which is why I don't think an emergency ban is out of the question if Copycat continues to define what's played. A situation they could have avoided.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Sickening posted:

It has a huge chance of loving up at least half of a season before it can even be banned. Half of a season is pretty loving huge.

It's going to gently caress up the important half of the season. How many notable standard tournaments were there after the last post-Pro Tour banning announcement, just the two Grand Prixs in Japan and Brazil? They're going to turn the important part of the season into a lame duck format.

Come on either fancy new aggro deck that's able to compete with Cat Combo and Mardu OR 32/32 Felidar Guardians in the top eight.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Sickening posted:

Nope! They actually listened after a decade or more of that poo poo.

Oh thank god. I'm sold. What's the best inner sleeve for 'em?

kingcobweb posted:

In a stunning return to form, I wrote a short obituary for Sensei's Divining Top, where I am extraordinarily fair and balanced in talking about this historically important card. http://blog.killgold.fish/2017/04/senseis-divining-top-even-handed-and.html

Weird. I checked your blog a couple days ago for the first time in ages curious if you were still writing. Seemed like a no, especially since I don't care about LoL, but here you are.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Pontius Pilate posted:

Weird. I checked your blog a couple days ago for the first time in ages curious if you were still writing. Seemed like a no, especially since I don't care about LoL, but here you are.
I play Magic maybe once every two weeks, but I'm also writing another book review. The topic this time will be: https://www.amazon.com/Generation-D...rds=titus+chalk

(it's mostly a good book)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hellsau posted:

It's going to gently caress up the important half of the season. How many notable standard tournaments were there after the last post-Pro Tour banning announcement, just the two Grand Prixs in Japan and Brazil? They're going to turn the important part of the season into a lame duck format.

Come on either fancy new aggro deck that's able to compete with Cat Combo and Mardu OR 32/32 Felidar Guardians in the top eight.

I totally agree. The last 2 weeks of a season are a waste as people are waiting for the new set and pre-release. The first 6 weeks of a standards season are the most critical. Its when people buy the most cards and when attendance is at its peak. Ruining that part of the season is incredibly stupid.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

The dumbest part about not banning the cat combo is that 4-Color Saheeli is just Good_Shit.dec and everyone playing it would have a bunch of pieces for a bunch of different possible decks in the new meta. It's not like the rest of the cards in the deck are useless. Take out the instant win combo and 4-Color Saheeli is just a control/midrange deck that gums the board up with value but attacks poorly and spends most of its time spinning its wheels.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

What if they're not banning anything because they're afraid that without Cat, nothing would spring up to challenge Mardu? :tinfoil:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Pontius Pilate posted:

KMC perfect fits only

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Siivola posted:

What if they're not banning anything because they're afraid that without Cat, nothing would spring up to challenge Mardu? :tinfoil:

So they should have also banned Gideon or something.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Siivola posted:

But there actually is a lot of playable hate for artifacts in this set.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah if anything they've given 4c Saheeli the tools to push Vehicles out of the format too. My sneaking suspicion is that we're in for another Caw Blade

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

At this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Mardu would keep chugging even after cutting a bunch of artifacts or even Gideon out.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
Nah, wait for 4cSaheeli to be packing Magma Spray and Manglehorn and we'll see how well Mardu chugs

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sit on my Facebook posted:

Nah, wait for 4cSaheeli to be packing Magma Spray and Manglehorn and we'll see how well Mardu chugs

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

:pusheen:

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I preordered a stack of red and white humans that I didn't open during prerelease, so I'm hoping that RW Humans can be a deck again.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

Beautiful

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Star Man posted:

I preordered a stack of red and white humans that I didn't open during prerelease, so I'm hoping that RW Humans can be a deck again.

What are the red cards?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

it's cool how the strong answers to the two extremely oppressive decks in standard all happen to slot perfectly into one of those extremely oppressive decks

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

What are the red cards?

Magma spraw, shock, and/or glory bringer. Its a little clunky atm.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

ThePeavstenator posted:

The dumbest part about not banning the cat combo is that 4-Color Saheeli is just Good_Shit.dec and everyone playing it would have a bunch of pieces for a bunch of different possible decks in the new meta. It's not like the rest of the cards in the deck are useless. Take out the instant win combo and 4-Color Saheeli is just a control/midrange deck that gums the board up with value but attacks poorly and spends most of its time spinning its wheels.

I don't think this is true. Mardu is the goodstuff deck of this format. Sahelli plays garbage uncommons like Rouge Refiner, Servant of the Conduit and Whirler Virtuoso and both Saheeli and the Cat really suck on their own.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Pontius Pilate posted:

The best inner sleeve is the side loading one from ultimate guard. I used perfect fit for a long time and a friend bought the side loading sleeves and they make double sleeving so much easier it's amazing.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
Saheeli is beatable stop whining

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

Well yeah, Saheeli isn't particularly powerful. A deck with 56 lands and 4 Saheelis won't be winning many tournaments. That's why they should ban the Cat.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE

you're alright

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?

TwistedNails posted:

The best inner sleeve is the side loading one from ultimate guard. I used perfect fit for a long time and a friend bought the side loading sleeves and they make double sleeving so much easier it's amazing.

Yes but now your cards have worse protection. There is a hole in the corner.

I can confirm the new ultra pros are ace and double sleeve great.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

mcmagic posted:

I don't think this is true. Mardu is the goodstuff deck of this format. Sahelli plays garbage uncommons like Rouge Refiner, Servant of the Conduit and Whirler Virtuoso and both Saheeli and the Cat really suck on their own.

It's more that Saheeli decks are made up of pieces of other decks. You've got energy creators for Aetherworks marvel, you might play a few Gearhulks, and then you have the more controlling cards to draw the game out. If the cat got banned, Saheeli players would have a decent start on other decks in the format.

e:

Standard is like a pool filled with turds right now. Some of us would like to go swimming again at some point and telling us to just swim around them instead of whining that they aren't getting cleaned out doesn't change the fact that there are turds in the pool.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Apr 26, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Protean Hulk is already a $20 card. loving lol

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

ThePeavstenator posted:

It's more that Saheeli decks are made up of pieces of other decks. You've got energy creators for Aetherworks marvel, you might play a few Gearhulks, and then you have the more controlling cards to draw the game out. If the cat got banned, Saheeli players would have a decent start on other decks in the format.

e:

Standard is like a pool filled with turds right now. Some of us would like to go swimming again at some point and telling us to just swim around them instead of whining that they aren't getting cleaned out doesn't change the fact that there are turds in the pool.

You're whining about a deck that is beatable. There is more to standard than Vehicles, Temur Tower and 4C Saheeli.......and those decks can beat these 3.

The whining is unmerited really, that's all.

AlternateNu posted:

Protean Hulk is already a $20 card. loving lol

EDH players gonna EDH

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

You're whining about a deck that is beatable. There is more to standard than Vehicles, Temur Tower and 4C Saheeli.......and those decks can beat these 3.

The whining is unmerited really, that's all.

EDH players gonna EDH

"Beatable" is such a dumb metric that is barely worth responding to. Your weirdo FNM meta is irrelevant.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

"Beatable" is such a dumb metric that is barely worth responding to. Your weirdo FNM meta is irrelevant.

You're wrong

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

CopyCat is totally beatable guys, it's not like all the mirrors result in draws.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Rinkles posted:

What are the red cards?

Combat Celebrant x4
Harsh Mentor x4
Glory-Bound Initiate x4
Glorybringer x4
Aven Mindcensor x4

Basically, I'm hoping that Always Watching helps enable some exerted shenanigans.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

Combat Celebrant x4
Harsh Mentor x4
Glory-Bound Initiate x4
Glorybringer x4
Aven Mindcensor x4

Basically, I'm hoping that Always Watching helps enable some exerted shenanigans.

Combat celebrant should not be a 4 of. Aven mindcensor has no synergy with the deck. You are going to need to make room for some number of shocks and magma sprays or you might as well not play the deck.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Star Man posted:

Combat Celebrant x4
Harsh Mentor x4
Glory-Bound Initiate x4
Glorybringer x4
Aven Mindcensor x4

I'm excited to see the 1-2 drop aggro deck again

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Sickening posted:

Aven mindcensor has no synergy with the deck.

I play Modern too, you know.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The question isn't "can a deck beat copycat", the question is "Does copycat force the vast majority of decks out of the format". I don't see a healthy standard metagame developing when reliable turn-4 kills exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I don't mind a hyper-aggro 4 turn kill deck existing; a temur battle rage style deck that can get quick kills but folds to removal or lifegain can be part of a healthy meta. Turn 4 kills get obnoxious when they're a 2-card combo package that you can add to an otherwise powerful midrange or control deck.