Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

So do I bring my coat or not

Better safe than sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

You would probably already be on Mars, if you used a sensible system of measurement, instead of that Mickey Mouse bullshit.

e: also, map --->

I like how this map seems to recognize the SADR.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Never leave your house to avoid the stress of changing ambient temperatures.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

The Belgian posted:

Better safe than sorry!

Better take the risk of being cold than having to schlep around a useless coat!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
e: nvm bad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

As a lurker on this thread I'd like to say thank you, this was interesting/useful to me. Also, as a lurker, this temperature conversation is really long.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

fishmech posted:

Biblical Maps

These are cool as hell and also I want everyone to recognize that fischmech had a better post than all of you did over the last three pages so please stop posting.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

dublish posted:

What engineering school did you go to? Everything in my experience is you give an answer with the same units given in the problem.

Same. Though I only ever saw imperial units in the ME classes I took.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
holy loving lol at this idea of fahrenheit, the arbitrariest system, being "objectively" good.

i've seen a lot of people who grew up using fahrenheit learn celsius and recognise that basing a one to one hundred system on states of water makes total sense.

i've also seen a lot of people who grew up on celsius learn fahrenheit, as i did when i lived in the states, and nobody stuck with it beyond need to communicate with other americans cos it's dumb as gently caress

like... i understand wanting a "day to day" temperature system to cover a 'reasonable' range of numbers so you can recognise it easier. but looking at the average minimum and maximum of where I live, 20 to 110 actually looks LESS easy to understand and "reasonable" than -5 to 40. o the horror you might need to say the temperature is in the "low teens" and "high teens" instead of "fifties" or "sixties" when determining whether or not to wear a jacket.

fuckin right this is a hill i'll die on, i was alright with having to learn imperial measurements for distance, volume and even weight but temperature can gently caress off and so can the faux-intellectual "oh but objectively it makes more sense day to day" defenses of itt

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Divorced And Curious posted:

holy loving lol at this idea of fahrenheit, the arbitrariest system, being "objectively" good.

i've seen a lot of people who grew up using fahrenheit learn celsius and recognise that basing a one to one hundred system on states of water makes total sense.

i've also seen a lot of people who grew up on celsius learn fahrenheit, as i did when i lived in the states, and nobody stuck with it beyond need to communicate with other americans cos it's dumb as gently caress

like... i understand wanting a "day to day" temperature system to cover a 'reasonable' range of numbers so you can recognise it easier. but looking at the average minimum and maximum of where I live, 20 to 110 actually looks LESS easy to understand and "reasonable" than -5 to 40. o the horror you might need to say the temperature is in the "low teens" and "high teens" instead of "fifties" or "sixties" when determining whether or not to wear a jacket.

fuckin right this is a hill i'll die on, i was alright with having to learn imperial measurements for distance, volume and even weight but temperature can gently caress off and so can the faux-intellectual "oh but objectively it makes more sense day to day" defenses of itt

more numbers equal i can be very precise with my air conditioner setting

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
Check out a cool map! It should be linked at the right time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpVI7_xqZOw&t=1774s

I love that the great lakes are just a continuation of the ocean. Also, the two Greenlands

20 seconds or so later the camera pans over and you can see that Anatolia appears to be connected directly to Egypt, solving the Israeli Palestine issue completely

edit on second glance I guess that could be hudson bay instead of the great lakes but whatever, it's goofy looking. At least South America has a killer butt

Michael Bayleaf fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 26, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cis autodrag posted:

more numbers equal i can be very precise with my air conditioner setting
Wait until you hear about decimals in second grade.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

You would probably already be on Mars, if you used a sensible system of measurement, instead of that Mickey Mouse bullshit.

e: also, map --->

...:malaysia:

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!
Fahrenheit is fine, temperature is mostly arbitrary anyway and there is no conversion (Kilo Celcius or W/E). Have fun being the only one using your weird scale.

The rest of the imperial measures, feet, inches and miles can go suck it. What the hell is a liquid ounce? Why have a unit called basically the same and share an abbreviation while being sometimes a volume, sometimes a weight? Idiocy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Because it was based on the volume occupied by an ounce of water (or in some cases wine).

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

White Rock posted:

Fahrenheit is fine, temperature is mostly arbitrary anyway and there is no conversion (Kilo Celcius or W/E). Have fun being the only one using your weird scale.
What?

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

The biggest problem with imperial is the weird conversions between different units of measures, which metric doesn't suffer from (1000 centimeters = 10 meters, 1000 Gram = 1 Kilogram). With imperial, you get all kinds of issues with how many inches in a mile and all that. And then that is compounded when you get to areas and volumes.

Temperature is a single unit which in all general cases stands on it's own. So you can use any arbitrary scale you want.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

White Rock posted:

Temperature is a single unit which in all general cases stands on it's own. So you can use any arbitrary scale you want.
Still doesn't explain what the gently caress where you blabbering about with conversion about "Kilo Celsius" when it is formally adopted that you can totally use gigacelsius or nanocelsius degrees, just the context of intervals and scientific measurements where SI-prefixes make sense by convention does default to the use of Kelvin notation instead. And the "weird scale" that only the entire planet except for a few third world countries does use.

That asides, the highlighted is literally what Europeans are getting at. Water freezing and water boiling is directly relevant to any adult, unlike the whatever the hell is the icy marinade defining 0 degrees Fahrenheit. It also helps to have a meaningful degree step, rather than entertain yourself with false illusion of precision (not that decimal numbers exist) mistaken for accuracy. It's even funnier since basic thermometers at your car or your home are rated for 1C accuracy, and your NWS does measure everything in C either, just converting it backwards so no one is upset.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

White Rock posted:

Metric temperature is fully integrated in the SI system and comes up a lot if you do science or engineering (for example, thermal conductivity is power per length*kelvin). It's not some separate thing that you can just leave out.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

That's a dumb map. Serbia adopted the metric system in 1879.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
And when you have a scientific equation, you can convert from K to C with a single simple step relying on a single constant, unlike with F.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

my dad posted:

According to their database, Serbia adopted the metric system in "N/A", which is the timeframe as 1950-2010 in idiot units. :eng101:

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

so derails are a thing of course but even by goon standards I'm kind of agog at the bizarre priorities at display here

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

my dad posted:

Its seems to be working off of the basis that when a state was created, became independent, split off from a larger confederation, is when they date its adoption of metric.

Except Russia for some reason.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

khwarezm posted:

Its seems to be working off of the basis that when a state was created, became independent, split off from a larger confederation, is when they date its adoption of metric.

*looks at former Austria-Hungary*

Uh...

PC Brigadier
Oct 2, 2013
presented without comment

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

PC Brigadier posted:

I'm Poland.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Those kinky Ukrainians.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PC Brigadier posted:

Shame about the Carolingian Empire.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

South Italy is, erm... ooh, break time :effort: "it's different".

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Why does the map arbitrarily use Italian for Sicily and Southern Italy? They also could have just quoted Machiavelli's Discourses about most of Southern Europe being the "corruption of the world."

King Hong Kong fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 26, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I like that they lump all of the Balkans in with Albania and Bulgaria

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I'm always amused by any map that puts Rome and Greece outside of "European civilization".

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Byzantine posted:

I'm always amused by any map that puts Rome and Greece outside of "European civilization".
If you've ever been to Lithuania, you'll know that there isn't much Europe in Rome.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Byzantine posted:

eh, rome gets in only by the skin of its teeth. greece is polluted by dirty muslim rule and asiatic orthodox religion

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
I'm Core Bornholm and Gotland and Periphery Rügen. Or alternatively Periphery Burgenland and Core Rest-of-Austrian-Republic. Or talking about Norway specifically: Bergen, founded in 1070, largest town in Scandinavia until the 1600s: periphery. Kristiansand, founded in 1641: core.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Kopijeger posted:

I'm Core Bornholm and Gotland and Periphery Rügen. Or alternatively Periphery Burgenland and Core Rest-of-Austrian-Republic. Or talking about Norway specifically: Bergen, founded in 1070, largest town in Scandinavia until the 1600s: periphery. Kristiansand, founded in 1641: core.

At least the depiction eastern Austria probably follows Metternich's verdict that "the Balkans begin at the Rennweg", which used to be a road beginning immediately after the city walls and leading eastwards into Burgenland (which was a part of Hungary until 1921, not to forget).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PC Brigadier posted:

BRITAIN:

"Food sucks, people barely human."

RASPBERRY J. IT IN ME, 2017

take it off the map plz :colbert:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

BRITAIN:

"Food sucks, people barely human."

RASPBERRY J. IT IN ME, 2017

take it off the map plz :colbert:

how does that make it less of a "present core of Europe where defining traits are strongest"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

On imgur front page, presented without comment.