Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Siivola posted:

At this point I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Mardu would keep chugging even after cutting a bunch of artifacts or even Gideon out.

i realize what you mean but i still like the implications of a deck called mardu vehicles cutting all it's artifacts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

mandatory lesbian posted:

i realize what you mean but i still like the implications of a deck called mardu vehicles cutting all it's artifacts
Just wait for the eventual post-ban standard of catless copycat, vehicleless mardu vehicles, and constrictorless GB constrictor.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ein Sexmonster posted:

The question isn't "can a deck beat copycat", the question is "Does copycat force the vast majority of decks out of the format". I don't see a healthy standard metagame developing when reliable turn-4 kills exist.

Especially when the required interactions are so narrow, hence why no more data is needed.

So I booked for GP Montreal thinking they couldn't be so stupid again that they wouldn't get rid of cat. What should I do now? I've not really played standard since Eldritch Moon, I don't intend to play Cat Combo, especially not against 80%+ mirror matches. Mardu probably isn't going to be as good and not the way I really want to go.

How do I make the best of this? Should I just try to switch my ticket to a side event pass? I was excited about new decks, seeing what BW zombies could do, if a walker deck worked, maybe revised delerium. Or should I ask to read the first Saheli, tear it i two and walk?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Especially when the required interactions are so narrow, hence why no more data is needed.

So I booked for GP Montreal thinking they couldn't be so stupid again that they wouldn't get rid of cat. What should I do now? I've not really played standard since Eldritch Moon, I don't intend to play Cat Combo, especially not against 80%+ mirror matches. Mardu probably isn't going to be as good and not the way I really want to go.

How do I make the best of this? Should I just try to switch my ticket to a side event pass? I was excited about new decks, seeing what BW zombies could do, if a walker deck worked, maybe revised delerium. Or should I ask to read the first Saheli, tear it i two and walk?

The side event pass is not worth the money. You are basically screwed. I would put together a brew and hope for the best if your reservations aren't refundable.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

TwistedNails posted:

The best inner sleeve is the side loading one from ultimate guard. I used perfect fit for a long time and a friend bought the side loading sleeves and they make double sleeving so much easier it's amazing.

I got a pack of these, and they work great...as long as the cards are the right size. Conspiracy 2 fits fine, but the EDM, OGW, MM3, and AKH cards I tried are slightly too big. :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheMaestroso posted:

I got a pack of these, and they work great...as long as the cards are the right size. Conspiracy 2 fits fine, but the EDM, OGW, MM3, and AKH cards I tried are slightly too big. :shrug:

The side loaded double sleeves defeats the point of double sleeving.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

My cards don't see regular play, so whatever issue you have is irrelevant.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AlternateNu posted:

Protean Hulk is already a $20 card. loving lol

Just remembered that I have a spare copy of this, hell yeah. Too bad Deckbox prices take forever to approach conventional market value when there's a banning/unbanning like this.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

TheMaestroso posted:

My cards don't see regular play, so whatever issue you have is irrelevant.

The reason you double sleeve is to protect against wear on the tops of your cards and to prevent liquid from getting on the cards if someone spills on your sleeves. The sideloading inner sleeves make it so that you might as well just single sleeve.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
In a world without a banlist, what would the most disgustingly brutal Modern deck look like?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Skullclamp affinity, probably.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Alris posted:

In a world without a banlist, what would the most disgustingly brutal Modern deck look like?

Try googling no ban list modern

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Alris posted:

Elves with Glimpse and Skullclamp would be insane.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Alris posted:

https://www.moxboardinghouse.com/media/modern-no-banned-list/

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Alris posted:

Hypergenesis

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Alris posted:

A fun format

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alris posted:

Supposedly it's a very fair format, but I have a feeling that Delver decks would just rise to the top with access to Ponder, Preordain, Mental Misstep, and Treasure Cruise.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

No ban list modern would be really fun as a legacy light but it would really need force of will to deal with how fast decks would be.

anglachel
May 28, 2012

Star Man posted:

Supposedly it's a very fair format, but I have a feeling that Delver decks would just rise to the top with access to Ponder, Preordain, Mental Misstep, and Treasure Cruise.

Yeah, I remember reading the last time a semi big no ban list event, a Red/Blue Burn/Delver list was pretty big. It was a burn like deck that used Delver to pressure quickly and used Treasure Cruise to re-gas.

Bart Fargo
Mar 24, 2005

Il Raggio Infernale

TwistedNails posted:

The best inner sleeve is the side loading one from ultimate guard. I used perfect fit for a long time and a friend bought the side loading sleeves and they make double sleeving so much easier it's amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ov8Q-ZaD5c&t=331s

I don't know how worried you are about water damage, etc. but the side-loaders aren't that great at protection. This covers both Ultra Pro and Ultimate Guard.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Normally I'm of the opinion that you should just get whatever sleeves you prefer and not get into fights over which maker of sleeves is the best, but lol at side-loading perfect fits.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Yeah, if you're going to go through the work of double-sleeving you might as well have it matter. Otherwise save yourself the effort and just single-sleeve.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

More reasons why MTGSalvation is terrible. Man known for excellent Merfolk content posts a discussion video about Soul-Scar Mage and Harsh Mentor gets banned because someone flagged his post for solicitation followed up with some playful jabs at his tude.

He even mentions MTGS is a terrible shithole.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 26, 2017

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

More reasons why MTGSalvation is terrible. Man known for excellent Merfolk content posts a discussion video about Soul-Scar Mage and Harsh Mentor gets banned because someone flagged his post for solicitation followed up with some playful jabs at his tude.

Does he actively contribute to the forums? Tbqh a sensationalist statement that links to your youtube channel is pretty obnoxious if he's not a regular. Even if he's a regular I don't want to watch his lovely clickbait.

I don't read anything there besides the single-deck discussions for decks I play. That's what everyone should do probably.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I've already solved the new standard meta game, ask me anything.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Mikujin posted:

why

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Bart Fargo posted:

I don't know how worried you are about water damage, etc. but the side-loaders aren't that great at protection. This covers both Ultra Pro and Ultimate Guard.

That's a good point, my only expensive deck is currently in dragon shield smoke perfect fits and apple green matte sleeves so it's protected.

I haven't switched to the side loaders yet, just played with them at my friends and watched him pull every rare he had out of a binder (in side loaders in the binder) and sleeve super fast and I thought it looked great and they felt nice. We also don't play with liquid at the table though so spills aren't a big issue, scuffing from going in and out of a binder and into decks is most of the wear and the side loaders looked great for that. I was planning on switching to sideloaders if I got back into standard but that might not happen now anyway with cat being around. I do think they're good for keeping your cards from getting beaten up though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Mikujin posted:

3 Cats or 4 Cats? What split between Harnessed Lightnings and Magma Sprays maindeck?

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Jokes on all of you the real answer is I solved standard by playing cube.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Count Bleck posted:

What the gently caress is a nikachu?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

From here: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/159965784898/i-have-to-be-honest-after-the-coco-emrakul-and

Does Rosewater understand that sometimes it's better to just...not say anything? He cites a bunch of legitimate issues (complexity of design for multiple formats, time issues, balance and power level, etc) and yet still manages to just dig the hole deeper with a whiffed "perfect is the enemy of good" argument.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

little munchkin posted:

Does he actively contribute to the forums? Tbqh a sensationalist statement that links to your youtube channel is pretty obnoxious if he's not a regular. Even if he's a regular I don't want to watch his lovely clickbait.

I don't read anything there besides the single-deck discussions for decks I play. That's what everyone should do probably.

Yeah, he posted frequently in the Merfolk thread, offering advice and posting gameplay videos of Merfolk, going as far as so do write ups for sideboard guides and decklists for metas.

He contributed a lot.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mikujin posted:

Jokes on all of you the real answer is I solved standard by playing cube.

Does the Cat have a place in Cube? They could swap the Twin archetype to R/W instead of R/U - Cat and Resto are both fine cards on their own, Cat comboes with Twin and Kiki, and it's not like blue needs the help in cube.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Yeah, he posted frequently in the Merfolk thread, offering advice and posting gameplay videos of Merfolk, going as far as so do write ups for sideboard guides and decklists for metas.

He contributed a lot.

that's dumb then

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
MTGS is a great forum full of good posts

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

80s James Hetfield posted:

MTGS is a great forum full of good posts

I'd be willing to bet that a majority of good posts from this thread are actually just copy/pastes from MTGs.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Hellsau posted:

I'd be willing to bet that a majority of good posts from this thread are actually just copy/pastes from MTGs.

0/0 isn't a majority

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Cat is poo poo.

E: And it also doesn't play well with Twin.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Mikujin posted:

Cat is poo poo.

E: And it also doesn't play well with Twin.

What? Play Twin on Cat, make a token, blink Twin, attach to the token, blink twin poo poo that's infinite tapped tokens, wait just add the thread's favorite God Purphoros, there problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

Bart Fargo posted:

Thanks for posting this!