Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
And it's not like there needs to be any visible residue left by the time they get to the border. Those dogs are a lot better than people are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like how Mike was tempted repeatedly to just kill these guys before going the hunter route. He's on a road to being someone else, just like Saul.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What would killing them accomplish? The whole point was to get them caught at the border. Killing the drivers just means Hector has to get new drivers. Getting them caught at the border puts those two guys in prison as well as forcing Hector to find a new business to use for smuggling drugs across the border.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Golden Bee posted:

I like how Mike was tempted repeatedly to just kill these guys before going the hunter route. He's on a road to being someone else, just like Saul.

When he was putting his sights on them he was just using his scope to look at them, like a pair of binoculars, it wasn't a crazy hidden urge to go for a headshot

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Can a gunsperg comment on whether a suppressor could be heard at the distance they were At

Suppressors are nowhere near as silencing as they usually are shown on TV where they sound like a mouse sneeze. They just mean everyone on your block hears the gunshot as opposed to everyone in a mile radius.

Although BB has shown before that mouse sneeze suppressors are a thing in this TV show before so they decided to ignore that to make mikes plan cleverer.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

timp posted:

What is this track, it loving owns

Artist is todd terje, the track is alfonso muskedunder i think

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Artist is todd terje, the track is alfonso muskedunder i think

Awesome.

massive spider posted:

Chuck was afraid of his brother, who had just confessed to a crime and may be willing to try and destroy the evidence, how chuck knew that jimmy knew about the tape is irrelevent.

Also Chuck isn't a police officer.

And entrapment has a very specific definition, the cop has to actively persuade you to commit a crime you weren't already going to do, just giving someone an opportunity isn't the same. http://lawcomic.net/guide/?p=683

Yeah fair enough. It seems a bit daft that someone can essentially trick someone else into committing a crime without repercussion though.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat
Who besides me was relieved when Mike made the shoe toss on the 3rd try?

Didn't know if we were gonna be there for 10 mins admiring the lighting and cinematography.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

Also, if that Mike scene all took place south of the border, how'd he get there with a gun and some drugs? Unless the clinic he visited was too, but then he already had the gun in his trunk.

Unless it has changed since the last time I drove south of the border, he probably put them in his trunk and drove past the empty border guard stations into Mexico.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Herv posted:

Who besides me was relieved when Mike made the shoe toss on the 3rd try?

Didn't know if we were gonna be there for 10 mins admiring the lighting and cinematography.

I was thinking to myself "I bet that's actually really hard to do in real life and I wonder how they're going to edit it down for TV..."

then they just show him throw and pick up the show 3 times lol

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I once drove probably 6-10 km in a half ton with my wallet on the rear bumper. Parked, went into the store, realised I was missing it, walked out to look for it in the truck and picked it up off the bumper.

No coke, though, unfortunately.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I don't think there had to be a specific amount of drugs on the truck, just enough that the drug dog could smell it and make them give the truck a thorough search and find the real drugs stashed in the tires.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I liked the shot at the end where Kim and Jimmy holding hands formed an M.

MarksMan
Mar 18, 2001
Nap Ghost

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't think there had to be a specific amount of drugs on the truck, just enough that the drug dog could smell it and make them give the truck a thorough search and find the real drugs stashed in the tires.

I read a long time ago that K9 dogs can smell something like 1/1000th of a gram of cocaine, or 1mg. I used to weigh out RC's in 5-10mg doses and 1mg is an incredibly small amount.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The cocaine in the shoe setup was getting up there with Breaking Bad for suspension of disbelief. To me it's just a little too clever and outlandish.

The tracker in the petrol cap thing was great writing and plausible. The shoe thing stepped over the line a bit I thought. Like Breaking Bad it doesn't detract from my enjoyment at all, just a bit of a stretch in plausibility.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I love this show.

That's all, thanks for taking my call.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Wasn't there money in the tires not drugs

If it was drugs the dog would smell it through the tires anyway

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

SHOAH NUFF posted:

When he was putting his sights on them he was just using his scope to look at them, like a pair of binoculars, it wasn't a crazy hidden urge to go for a headshot

He had a pair of binoculars on him, and was using them to start with.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I guess it's time to explain the Mike scene for all the people who don't pay attention to the show.

The shoes at the beginning of the episode are the same shoes Mike threw up there. It shows a Los Pollos Hermanos truck, most likely signifying that in the future, Gus' trucks are the ones smuggling meth in. Mike isn't trying to assassinate the two men from Hector's truck. He is firing into the air for them to freak out about at first, but then get used to as the shots continue. They assume the shooting is from a hunter, and eventually, the gun shots don't even phase them. Then as they drive off, they drive under the shoes (they weren't parked under the shoes). When they pass under, Mike shoots the shoe so drugs will pour out and land on the truck. His earlier gunshots made it so the two guys aren't suspicious of that gunshot as they drive off. The drugs sprinkle down onto the truck and this gets them caught at the border.

Thanks for this. How does it relate to the USB drive that was in the spare gas cap Mike got at the junkyard?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pocket Billiards posted:

Thanks for this. How does it relate to the USB drive that was in the spare gas cap Mike got at the junkyard?

The USB drive was Mike's first exposure to Dickbutt and is actually a clever call-forward

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

drunken officeparty posted:

Wasn't there money in the tires not drugs

If it was drugs the dog would smell it through the tires anyway

Money goes to Mexico, drugs come into the US. So the first truck he hit was leaving the US, and this one was entering it.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

lotus circle posted:

Jimmy and Kim are so good, it makes me depressed that she's completely absent in his life once BB starts.

because she's dead :laugh:

Pocket Billiards posted:

The cocaine in the shoe setup was getting up there with Breaking Bad for suspension of disbelief. To me it's just a little too clever and outlandish.

The tracker in the petrol cap thing was great writing and plausible. The shoe thing stepped over the line a bit I thought. Like Breaking Bad it doesn't detract from my enjoyment at all, just a bit of a stretch in plausibility.

next you'll be trying to tell me they threw a pizza on a roof in one take

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Pocket Billiards posted:

The cocaine in the shoe setup was getting up there with Breaking Bad for suspension of disbelief.

And he had a 50/50 chance at shooting the correct sneaker no?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
It would have been way easier to just call the border patrol and tell them a truck with license plate # abc123 had drugs in the tires. Then he wouldn't have wasted his cocaine and a perfectly good pair of sneakers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone else notice the "Mr Clark" thing? Y'know, like the 'Dave Clark Five'? No? Must be before your time, then.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Herv posted:

Split the coke into two baggies, and put each into each shoe. But we don't see him do that, so alternately just be a really good shot and hit center mass through both sneakers.

Javid posted:

Money goes to Mexico, drugs come into the US. So the first truck he hit was leaving the US, and this one was entering it.

Yeah, the stops signs are in Spanish. I guess a bigger question is how did Mike get a hunting rifle and cocaine into Mexico, both of which were just sitting there in an otherwise empty suitcase?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I have a lot less to say when I like something, but I figured I'd chime in again to say this episode was way better than the first two since I was kind of making GBS threads on them in this thread before. Nobody's ever going to accuse this show of having a blistering pace, but when the episodes are good that's okay.

Turning Kim into a saint of compassion and forgiveness is going to make it really painful when Jimmy fucks up enough to actually lose her.

Phantom Star
Feb 16, 2005

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, the stops signs are in Spanish. I guess a bigger question is how did Mike get a hunting rifle and cocaine into Mexico, both of which were just sitting there in an otherwise empty suitcase?

The previous scene with Mike was his meeting with Gus, and Mike's very last line was that he wasn't done with Salamanca. To me that tells me that Gus and Mike are working together on this, or Mike would have kept that last bit to himself.

As a member of the cartel, I believe Gus would have no trouble having some underlings in Mexico get a bolt-action rifle, or to call a pharmacist/doctor in Mexico and set up a sale. Beyond that the pharmacist/doctor was told what Mike would need by someone other than Mike before he arrived, and that this particular pharmacist/doctor is later seen in BB working for Gus.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If I was Gus and Mike told me his strange plan I would probably go into box cutter mode

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

OctaviusBeaver posted:

It would have been way easier to just call the border patrol and tell them a truck with license plate # abc123 had drugs in the tires. Then he wouldn't have wasted his cocaine and a perfectly good pair of sneakers.

Then the cartel could potentially find out through their information channels that someone narced on them. This way they have no loving idea how it happened. It might even make the cartel question the reliability of their drugs-in-the-tire trick. What Mike did is a far more ingenious way to spook Hector Salamanca and get under his skin.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

WillyTheNewGuy posted:

The previous scene with Mike was his meeting with Gus, and Mike's very last line was that he wasn't done with Salamanca. To me that tells me that Gus and Mike are working together on this, or Mike would have kept that last bit to himself.

As a member of the cartel, I believe Gus would have no trouble having some underlings in Mexico get a bolt-action rifle, or to call a pharmacist/doctor in Mexico and set up a sale. Beyond that the pharmacist/doctor was told what Mike would need by someone other than Mike before he arrived, and that this particular pharmacist/doctor is later seen in BB working for Gus.

Nah the answer is that you can drive your car with anything you want in it into Mexico because crossing the border heading south is less inconvenient than going over a speed bump

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

Did you miss the part where Mike went to that doctor to get the drugs?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cojawfee posted:

Did you miss the part where Mike went to that doctor to get the drugs?

I didn't assume he was IN Mexico then, he could've easily been just across the border on the US side.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

I didn't assume he was IN Mexico then, he could've easily been just across the border on the US side.

Everything being in Spanish didn't tip you off?

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

I really liked the way the final scene was filmed.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

Everything being in Spanish didn't tip you off?

The cartel boys drop off their guns/pick them up on the US side, though.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

LeJackal posted:

The cartel boys drop off their guns/pick them up on the US side, though.

They probably have guns on both sides but just can't cross the border with them. They could sneak them across but they'd be buried as deep as the drugs and inaccessible so just stashing them on both sides of the border is easier.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Did anyone else think the beefy passenger mexican was Tuco at first

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

drunken officeparty posted:

Did anyone else think the beefy passenger mexican was Tuco at first
Honestly yes... it wasn't until the gun shots started going off that I realized it couldn't be him. Tuco wouldn't hear gunfire and try to rationally decipher possibilities. He'd pull his gun and start firing back haphazardly in whatever direction the shot came from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Herv posted:

He hopefully paid attention to which sneaker he put the drugs in, and presumably was able to tell which sneaker was which through the scope.

• Locked thread