Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

The Lord Bude posted:

Where I live it's illegal for most businesses to open on Good Friday. It's really weird to close for 3 hours in the middle of the day though, you'd think it would be an all or nothing thing.

Where do you live? Bible Belt Central or Salt Lake?

Nope, everyone else was open and most stores were open Easter itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
No, Queensland Australia. Good Friday, Anzac Day and Christmas Day are the last remaining heavily regulated public holidays, where most businesses are forced to shut. cafes and such can still open, though most don't. And I think nothing can open before 1pm on Anzac Day. The past six months have seen a considerable easing of regulations in the state - we were allowed to trade on Easter Sunday for the first time ever, and we're allowed to open at 7am now, Monday to Saturday instead of the previous 8am and we can shut at 9pm instead of 5pm on Saturdays. Up until about 15 years ago supermarkets didn't open on Sundays, and the all closed at 5pm on weekdays except for the one designated late night trading day.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I am starting to hate electronic inventories because it makes it waaaaaaay too easy for other people to go around loving up my numbers.

I'd love to have an electronic inventory setup because the few coworkers who actually bother to stock anything tend to leave half empty cases in the store-room and it fucks up my order count and/or the salesguys presume that a case is full when it only has two bottles left in it. I mean, the store is tiny there's no reason why you can't just throw everything on the clearly marked and readily accessible misc-bottle storage shelves. :downs:

We're actually in the slow process of setting up a backup POS system that has electronic inventory integration and I can't wait to see how much of a clusterfuck that's gonna be to get implemented. The only reason we're doing this is the guy who wrote our current POS system back in the 1990s stopped answering his phone. He might be dead but I couldn't find any obituaries.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
AA, I am in "home improvement" retail, not blue though.

And no definitely not Sears, gently caress Sears. I've known people who worked there and all of them reported abusive management and horrible credit/sales pushes.

I'm hunting for new jobs again and can't find anything that appeals in the slightest. It's all either hard labor, CDLs, or retail. :/ "Oh there's so many jobs here!"

...yeah but all of them are either service jobs or require 5+ years of experience in accounting with a bachelor's degree in a related field and knowing someone in the company to make sure you get hired..

Although let's be honest I'm not exactly gung-ho about having a job in the first place. Should've married a rich dude so I could be a stay-at-home trophy wife and just volunteer and get my nails done all day.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 17, 2017

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Thanks to this thread, I'm reaping the benefits of being a patient and polite customer. Free coffee at the local corner store, and yesterday a free order of sweet and sour at a deli. Treat retail folks like real human beings and get a little good karma feedback. :)

Thanks for teaching me to be better.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Today, two ladies came in and one came up right away to do a return, and the other wandered off into the store.

So, working through the line, I get to the lady with the return. Just as the receipt is printing, her friend comes up with a few things and just plops them on the counter. Now, if they'd been together the entire time I wouldn't have said anything, but that wasn't the case (plus the return lady was on the phone the entire time and was talking loud as gently caress, so I didn't really feel inclined to be extra nice) so I told her no, she would have to wait in line first, since I had a few people who had been waiting for me to finish up, and I was still waiting for my backup cashier to come up to help out.

I turn and look at the next customer and I hear the friend say "What are you, the line police?"

I took on a look of extreme confusion and just kinda looked at her, so she continued, "Why are you being so weird? You only make eight dollars an hour anyway, why are you taking this so seriously? Why are you so weird? Weirdo. You're a weirdo!"

I picked up her poo poo off the counter and handed them to her and told her, "I'm not helping you." and shooed her away with my hand. At this point my store manager came up, and so they just went over to him to get checked out, and I just helped the next person. I was pretty pissed off, but then while I was checking these other customers out, I realized she didn't say anything I should be mad about, since none of it was true and mostly childish. It eventually reminded me of a high school bully.

Then, when my manager finished checking the friend out, he came over to me grinning, and told me they called me a line Nazi, which is hilarious, even better than line police.

line nazi

I giggle every time.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

God, every time I have a customer bitch that our (a small family owned hardware store) prices are so much higher than loving Menard's I remember that most people really don't know the first loving thing about how business works.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

MC Hawking posted:

I'd love to have an electronic inventory setup because the few coworkers who actually bother to stock anything tend to leave half empty cases in the store-room and it fucks up my order count and/or the salesguys presume that a case is full when it only has two bottles left in it. I mean, the store is tiny there's no reason why you can't just throw everything on the clearly marked and readily accessible misc-bottle storage shelves. :downs:

We're actually in the slow process of setting up a backup POS system that has electronic inventory integration and I can't wait to see how much of a clusterfuck that's gonna be to get implemented. The only reason we're doing this is the guy who wrote our current POS system back in the 1990s stopped answering his phone. He might be dead but I couldn't find any obituaries.

Be careful what you wish for. I just got home from an inventory where everything is done electronicly. If the store does like the one I was at and prepares nothing, its a complete poo poo show that gets worse when you have someone doing poo poo wrong like we did. Particularly on little items like bolts, tools, exhaust adapters and general automotive electrical gubbins where customers stick poo poo wherever if it isn't what they need. You've gotta pull each individual item off the shelf and scan it, not just pull the first item and scan it however many times. Normally we are done by 2-3 depending on how many corrections need to be made. I was there until 6:30 and they were just then starting on the last part of the inventory. Fuckers at this store didn't even complete the minimal pre inventory counts they are supposed to do for stuff like hoses and belts, so we had to pull people off to do that while also stopping to help their customers because multiple times their employees would gently caress off and go sit in the back leaving the front of the store unattended. If they're normally pulling that poo poo, no wonder they're a high shrink store.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
There's a six am mandatory store meeting in the morning, and I have to be there at five, because not only is bakery expected to provide breakfast, we're still expected to have our pastry case 100% set at 8 am, and there's not a chance either will happen if I'm npt there to assist my baker.

It's nearly 10pm, I'm exhausted, can't sleep, and because I'm on my period, everything hurts.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.
Speaking of inventory. Perishable departments here have monthly inventories and bi-annual inventories. Back in February at the other store I was at, I had to do one of the bi-annual inventories. I got transferred a couple weeks ago, and now I have to suffer through another bi-annual inventory next week at this store. :mad:

One of the pros working at this store is that the clientele isn't made up of 95% grouchy, snobby, spoiled, rich senior citizens like a couple stores ago. This store doesn't have a bunch of drugged up thieves like the last store. This store seems somewhat normal if not a bit on the poor side. It's weird seeing some youngish adults shop. One lady wore a thin white shirt with no bra :monocle:.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I'm guaranteed the staff review system for my store is designed this way, so this is mostly likely just a complain post, but if you can see any way I can actually do something please let me know.

Right, so 90% of the issues I have with work are coming from above the store level from the regional manager, and the only means of feedback is through an online form I can fill out as many times as I want to. Now these obviously get mostly ignored, except for the few blatantly self serving ones that they decide to act on. The real issue however is that you are required to provide a rating of happy/neutral/unhappy with every submission. Obviously I'm unhappy about a lot of things I submit criticism of, but I know that both our store and my boss specifically will get into trouble for having unhappy workers. Due to the anonymity clause in it too, I know my boss won't have any chance to review these issues either and it will just be another stick to beat the shop with.

So, tell the truth and my boss (who is great) gets in poo poo for stuff he has nothing to do with, or lie and contribute to the bullshit that my company has +90% happy workers.

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012
Four and a half hours into a thirteen hour shift on four hours of sleep, and I literally just puked from exhaustion.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Kickshaw posted:

Four and a half hours into a thirteen hour shift on four hours of sleep, and I literally just puked from exhaustion.

The one benefit of having a poo poo job where I don't get enough hours is that I can leave early. Yeah. My reward for doing my job swift and certain is less cash in my pocket. Our store manager, who is... unrealistic about certain things, doesn't get that we have traffic right up until we close and that no, the conditioning will never be perfect. So she's happy I'm finishing early, but unhappy because the conditioning won't be TV perfect at 5AM.

I'm just waiting to be told that my unpaid lunches are now mandatory so that I'm guaranteed to never get out early

Kickshaw
Sep 6, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

I'm just waiting to be told that my unpaid lunches are now mandatory so that I'm guaranteed to never get out early
Mine already are but I love it. Local law requires two paid 10's and an unpaid 30 min lunch per 8 hour shift, and coming from a state where you get jack poo poo unless your manager gives it to you, I value the downtime and always take my breaks.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Easter Sunday, the whole store was overscheduled (because Easter falls on a different day every year, and available hours and goals are based on previous years' sales numbers). By 11am the ASM was coming around to send people home early. He did not understand why one of our part-timers who has had no hours at all for the last two weeks might actually want to stay for the rest of his scheduled shift. (I meanwhile felt like death warmed over but was told I couldn't leave because I was the closer).

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

We're doing a huge gigantic remodel of the store where I work; everything is getting overhauled and the process is expected to last several months. Of course, we're still open, and those of us who have to do early morning logistics have to do all our stuff while the construction team is at work and has like 2/3 of the store closed off by caution tape or fresh cement. It's... exciting :v:

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

NerdyMcNerdNerd posted:

The one benefit of having a poo poo job where I don't get enough hours is that I can leave early. Yeah. My reward for doing my job swift and certain is less cash in my pocket. Our store manager, who is... unrealistic about certain things, doesn't get that we have traffic right up until we close and that no, the conditioning will never be perfect. So she's happy I'm finishing early, but unhappy because the conditioning won't be TV perfect at 5AM.

Ugh this happened to me. My shifts were technically 6:00 - 2:30 with a 30 minute unpaid lunch. For 2 years I was skipping the lunch and just leaving at 2:00. I felt more productive at work and since I work in a cooler kept at 39F all day, not having to readjust to the cold after a lunch was great. But thenn a new store leader came in and now we get written up for not taking our unpaid lunch

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Faerunner posted:

Easter Sunday, the whole store was overscheduled (because Easter falls on a different day every year, and available hours and goals are based on previous years' sales numbers). By 11am the ASM was coming around to send people home early. He did not understand why one of our part-timers who has had no hours at all for the last two weeks might actually want to stay for the rest of his scheduled shift. (I meanwhile felt like death warmed over but was told I couldn't leave because I was the closer).

Oh we at least schedule our stores trying to take into account what nonsense happened the year before.

Of course sometimes we'll forget something, like this past weekend we were so focused on Easter and were comparing to Easter last year that we forgot about something big travel that happened in the same time last year.

...It mostly meant that we didn't get the lift over last year we hoped for because uhhh whoops one year ago was not Just Another Weekend after all.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Whoever was doing the playlist tonight was having fun.

I'm pretty sure playing "Pass the Dutchie" will get you fired if anyone finds out, but thanks, made my night.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Talked to my manager about transferring departments today from front end to print and marketing because we have such a shortage in that department that we have literally 3 people to cover 21 shifts every week.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

A bale broke yesterday as it fell onto the pallet underneath. So much soggy cardboard to pick up. :negative:

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I had a newish coworker gently caress up a bale once. It's crazy how much cardboard can be jammed in there. The look on his face was priceless after looking at all the boxes on the floor that we had to remove in order to close the baler door. The look of failure.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

The Aardvark posted:

A bale broke yesterday as it fell onto the pallet underneath. So much soggy cardboard to pick up. :negative:

At the first WF I worked at, someone in produce put a full box of oranges in the baler. Let's just say the receiving guys (they were responsible for baler) were NOT pleased

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Someone once bailed a box that had a gallon of milk in it. It was kinda funny seeing the milk dribble out the bottom and across the floor.

Leal fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 20, 2017

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Weeee transfer is happening on the 1st

Mainly because of the 4 applicants (3 internal, 1 external) for the 2 open positions, I was the only one willing to close on weekdays.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

First Friday night shift. gently caress That.

Never have I seen such a dense group of absolute cretinous customers. It's like 3/4 of them did something lovely.

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Today a big rear end carpet nearly creamed me, I was helping a customer and it fell from behind me, and I just happened to see it coming down from my peripheral vision so I brought up my arm JUST in time. It still hurt the poo poo out of my arm but it could have been worse.

And not even a single customer said anything about it out of the tons standing in line. I wonder if they would have even cared if it had knocked me the gently caress out? Maybe only because it would have kept me from checking them out.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Today I ripped my knuckle open on a sharp bit of metal while helping a customer and he just *stood there* talking at me for a good 20 minutes more while it bled, completely oblivious to the fact that A) I was in pain and B) I was about to drip blood all over the pieces of molding I was handling. Every time I tried to get rid of him he followed me and kept talking. I hate customers who can't take a motherfucking hint, and I doubly hate customers who either ignore or do not recognize when a fellow human being is in discomfort. I would greatly enjoy it if they all ended up in the ditch on their way to the store so I didn't have to deal with them.

Today was apparently customer-from-hell day all over the store, though, so at least I wasn't alone in having to deal with incredible amounts of stupidity.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Faerunner posted:

Today I ripped my knuckle open on a sharp bit of metal while helping a customer and he just *stood there* talking at me for a good 20 minutes more while it bled, completely oblivious to the fact that A) I was in pain and B) I was about to drip blood all over the pieces of molding I was handling. Every time I tried to get rid of him he followed me and kept talking. I hate customers who can't take a motherfucking hint, and I doubly hate customers who either ignore or do not recognize when a fellow human being is in discomfort. I would greatly enjoy it if they all ended up in the ditch on their way to the store so I didn't have to deal with them.

Today was apparently customer-from-hell day all over the store, though, so at least I wasn't alone in having to deal with incredible amounts of stupidity.

Shove your bloody meat bits in front of his face and tell him you need to go take care of it. If he says no, I'm pretty sure you're allowed by company policy to beat him to death with the nearest heavy item. :v:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
...somehow I think he would have just followed me to the first aid kit, talking about his stupid project the entire way.

It's okay now though. I have wine and risotto.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Faerunner posted:

Same.

The amount of customers that wanted iphones and were pissed that there was an hour + wait time was nutso, because well, new phone launch. We only have 4 and 2/3 registers to do phone upgrades (techinically any register in the store can do them, but we only use the ones in the mobile department, and two don';t have actual cash drawers so we can't do the payment part on them, but we can do the upgrade part on them) and we had a zillion customers wanting the s8.

Which sucked because then we had a million customers milling around waiting on their phones and not buying poo poo as they wandered through the store, except for maybe some usb-c cables.

Which is awful when you're in a store that tracks sales metrics. We're non comission, but they sure as poo poo track us on how we perform, and if we're not performing, we get a sit-down with our boss.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Next month we are unironically advertising something as a "snaccident"

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Zenithe posted:

Next month we are unironically advertising something as a "snaccident"
That sounds like a snabortion.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I guess they forgot that one of the guys in the backroom quit and left me with a schedule where no one will be covering the backroom while I went to lunch and this is somehow my fault. :downs:

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
A lack of coverage is always your fault. Duh.

A bunch of corporate VPs and Execs and other various high-earning prefixes are coming into the store on Thursday. Naturally, this means our store manager is hyperventilating and everyone has approved overtime hours so we can clean up all the messes corporate policy has created.

I caught one of the guys touching up the paint in the break room today.

Of all the useless things to have been assigned before a corporate walk...

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Overtime hours? What is this madness? At my old store a corporate visit meant we were all told to do an extra special thorough job cleaning the place up but not given any additional hours or people than normal.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Corporate walks for us just means we make the front look good and do not clean or do anything that isn't visible to the customer

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I found out today that a subordinate who I disliked for his general ineptitude and constant lateness has been diagnosed with Huntington's disease for quite a while. I feel a little bad, but he hadn't told anyone at our store about it until now.

BRB gonna still be a little depressed myself because for gently caress's sake the guy's living under a slow death sentence. He has two brothers who he's supporting and one of them may have it too.

Kickshaw posted:

There's a six am mandatory store meeting in the morning, and I have to be there at five, because not only is bakery expected to provide breakfast, we're still expected to have our pastry case 100% set at 8 am, and there's not a chance either will happen if I'm npt there to assist my baker.

It's nearly 10pm, I'm exhausted, can't sleep, and because I'm on my period, everything hurts.

Maaaate I run (more like 'look after') our bakery and it has taken me like 4 months to get to the point where I can trust them to actually do most of the tasks they're meant to when I'm not there, or don't leave a detailed handover telling them what to do and when. Also one of them wants to go back to being a home shopping delivery driver, not that it will make much difference since he has spent around half of his shifts there since transferring over to my department since our home shopping department can't keep hold of employees for some reason so he has been told by my manager to cover shifts for them. Then my managers wonder why I'm unable to do manager tasks... when I have to cover for people they have told to be elsewhere despite having people already on holiday in my department.

So I feel your pain. But not the period pain. Physical impossibility.

Budgie fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Apr 28, 2017

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
More and more stupid poo poo coming down from corporate. All of our stores are getting a reset done to our meat cases and it's going to include 20-30 new natural meat items. We already have a sizeable amount of natural meat, with about 90% of it that goes straight to the trash because no one wants to pay the premium price for it. I'm still in awe that they think this is a good idea. People want healthy food these days, but our customers still would rather buy regular meat instead of the expensive natural or organic. In fact, it's a miracle to begin with that as many of these people do buy regular meat instead of tv dinners or fast food.

Right before I left work, I made the mistake of checking my work email. We management are going to have to start scheduling ourselves 1 hour later for our start times. I not mad that I have to be at work an hour later, I'm mad because it makes it almost impossible to get a good opening to have fresh meat in our cases in a timely matter. They harp on us about freshness and in-stock conditions yet they gently caress us over hard like this.

It's almost as if they are setting us up for failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

ijii posted:

More and more stupid poo poo coming down from corporate. All of our stores are getting a reset done to our meat cases and it's going to include 20-30 new natural meat items. We already have a sizeable amount of natural meat, with about 90% of it that goes straight to the trash because no one wants to pay the premium price for it. I'm still in awe that they think this is a good idea. People want healthy food these days, but our customers still would rather buy regular meat instead of the expensive natural or organic. In fact, it's a miracle to begin with that as many of these people do buy regular meat instead of tv dinners or fast food.

Years ago at Walmart, they were making a big push on high quality beef. Choice rather than Select, you know? My store was throwing away all of our Choice beef, because nobody wanted to pay for it. We started immediately marking it all down and putting big yellow sale stickers on the Choice stuff, and it moved - we stopped throwing it away. We weren't making much profit, if any, on it, but we also weren't just eating losses on every bit of it. District manager put a stop to that when he noticed what we were doing. I remember the Kurdish guys that stocked the meat department being utterly disgusted at having to trash so many beautiful, perfectly fine steaks.