Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

Makes sense I bet you can't get Indian food anywhere in Vancouver.

There's a joke in Vancouver: What river separates China from India? The Fraser.

Vancouver has both a massive Chinese population and a massive Indian population. Most of the Indian families have been here for a few generations so there is much less of a culture shock with them than with mainlanders. We have Hockey Night in Canada broadcast in Punjabi, but unfortunately still get the occasional "honour" killing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Blistex posted:

"What is this peripheral vision foreigners talk about?"

LentThem posted:

i swear this has to be a side effect of being conditioned from an early age to Mr Magoo your way through life

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

There's a joke in Vancouver: What river separates China from India? The Fraser.

Vancouver has both a massive Chinese population and a massive Indian population. Most of the Indian families have been here for a few generations so there is much less of a culture shock with them than with mainlanders. We have Hockey Night in Canada broadcast in Punjabi, but unfortunately still get the occasional "honour" killing.

The Hong Kong and Taiwan families look at mainlanders funny as well because most early immigrants came from Southern China whereas you know have North East, Sichuan and other places. Different food and customs and all

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/feat...m_medium=social

You guys might like this, an article about climate change destroying florida real estate.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
MSN had some tabloid-style story about how a woman divorced her husband and the ex married her best friend and now they all work together running a restaurant, and somehow some people think its some sort of love triangle or bigamy or something, and this amazing Singapore guy commented

quote:

The bad point of human is having an intelligece brain misuse it by becoming BUSY BOGIES. Take The Womwn Charter as an example. Just because The Initial few women is of "jealous nature, objected to their husbands having multiple wives propsed to their Governments and able to convice them to accept the Women Charter made into laws of 'One husband to One wife.'
My opinion is at the time, those politicians wanted the votes of the women's votes of their countries, supported the proposal. Thus it became the accepted laws and now become the norm.

Basically humans, classified as manmals or in bad taste is an animal. If one is to look at the Animal kingdom, males always have mulitple females. It's nuture to ensure reproduction of the next generation and preventing extintion.

At first not much harms is done, but not look at Japan, Singapore & many other countries, procreation is on the decline. Soon the human will be extined.

Look at Singapore females, some women are willing to marry a 'married' men; but is prevented to do so because of The Charter.
The Ruling Party, is reluctant to ablohis The Charter, as they need the votes from females too to say in power. Even if other Political Parties is able to form the government, The Charter will still stand.

When I was a yound teen, living in 'kampong', (village), we needed only a rooster and multiple hens, to ensure the eggs laid are fertized; thus we can bave many chickens.
For pigs farmers, they needed to keep female pigs(sows) and depended on the "stud pig" owned by a neighbour to come to fertise the sows for reproduction.

Wild anmals, like The Lions, there is only on male and nurmerous females in it's pack. The list go no enlessly.
Sin
So if the Ruling Party if it is serious in encouraging more babies to make up the inclinding population; do away the women Charter. I'll be the first to give my support, likewise many Singaporean men will jump on the band wagon too.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the lecher lives

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'll take Original Position Fallacy for $100, Max.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS
Goons living in China who are concerned about the toxins they're breathing in and want to do something about it may want to watch this video:

"Best Food to Counter the Effects of Air Pollution"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uksaJeHfmsA

If you're too busy to watch it all, the answer is broccoli, but if you have the time, the science behind it is really very interesting.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Escape Addict posted:

Goons living in China who are concerned about the toxins they're breathing in and want to do something about it may want to watch this video:

If you're too busy to watch it all, the answer is broccoli, but if you have the time, the science behind it is really very interesting.

From the video description: "There is a food that offers the best of both worlds, significantly improving our ability to detox carcinogens like diesel fumes and decreasing inflammation in our airways all the while improving our respiratory defences against infections."

Detox is a key word usually used by fraudster or someone much too confident in their study.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Escape Addict posted:

Why is the answer always some lovely tasting vegetable?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Please do not speak ill of broccoli.

Escape Addict
Jan 25, 2012

YOSPOS

Boiled Water posted:

From the video description: "There is a food that offers the best of both worlds, significantly improving our ability to detox carcinogens like diesel fumes and decreasing inflammation in our airways all the while improving our respiratory defences against infections."

Detox is a key word usually used by fraudster or someone much too confident in their study.

Your suspicion is healthy. However, the reason he uses "detox" is because he's trying to dumb it down enough to get people to listen.

The much lengthier version is that compounds in broccoli boost the activity of a specific enzyme found in lung and nasal tissue which reduces inflammation and helps the body rid itself of certain toxins. One study mentioned in the video specifically mentions the elimination of benzene from the body being boosted by the ingestion of broccoli sprouts.

This man is an American doctor who just got fed up with patients not doing enough to keep themselves healthy, instead relying on last-resort medications when they could have mitigated or prevented illness entirely with a healthier diet. The videos he makes aren't sponsored by broccoli companies. He wants people to help themselves.

Like I said, suspicion is healthy and always crank your bullshit-detector to its highest setting. But I wouldn't post it here if I didn't think it had value.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, broccoli and other leafy greens are p good, if just for the antioxidant value alone.

And if you don't like broccoli, you can try covering it in cheese sauce or sauteing it in soy sauce.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Deep fry it then dip it in ranch sauce.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

What's the tradeoff when the broccoli is full of heavy metals from the soil, though?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Broccoli is delicious and I shant hear differently

I recognize that it's hard for goons to actually eat anything that isn't double deep fried but I assure you fresh, crunchy broccoli is amazing

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

peak debt posted:

Deep fry it then dip it in ranch sauce gutter oil.

ftfy

Pham Nuwen posted:

What's the tradeoff when the broccoli is full of heavy metals from the soil, though?

Probably negating the benefits.

If there has been a theme in this thread when it comes to air/water/food pollution, it's that you don't worry that much about it, and limit yourself to as short a stay as possible to mitigate the effects.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, broccoli and other leafy greens are p good, if just for the antioxidant value alone.

And if you don't like broccoli, you can try covering it in cheese sauce or sauteing it in soy sauce.

^^^ paid for by BIG BROCCOLI lobby

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
You know who else hated broccoli? GHW Bush. Many people no one say that stance contributed to his humiliating defeat in 1992

You want a second term as president? eat your broccoli!

http://www.nytimes.com/1990/03/23/us/i-m-president-so-no-more-broccoli.html

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I'd rather have E.Coli than Broc.Coli

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

WarpedNaba posted:

antioxidants have been a fake idea for years now btw

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
broccoli stir fried with soy sauce garlic and ginger is the only chinese food I bother cooking myself, goes well with almost anything

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
https://munchies.vice.com/en_us/article/the-struggles-of-writing-about-chinese-food-as-a-chinese-person

I was attracted by the noodle tentacle picture but then got hit by WADE GILES followed by 5000 years of Chinese history.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Article seemed pretty reasonable to me. Isn't her name Wade Giles though? Chuen is not pin yin.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Ages ago I know, but I sent this link to my wife and her response she sent me a link to what appeared to be a knock off fleshlight.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

bamhand posted:

Article seemed pretty reasonable to me. Isn't her name Wade Giles though? Chuen is not pin yin.

She's Taiwanese and Taiwan used Wade Giles for names for a long time until like the end of the 2000s.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Yeah but that makes it extra funny when she starts complaining about Wade Giles.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

bamhand posted:

Yeah but that makes it extra funny when she starts complaining about Wade Giles.

She was at least consistent in her wade giles hate cuz the only Taiwanese city she mentioned in the article was the only big one where the Wade Giles and Pinyin match up. I was kind of weirded out with that and how she mentioned it was a problem but offered no alternative (Pinyin? Latinhua Xin Wenz? Just write Bopomofo??) and it kind of took away from her main point.

But tbh wade giles is dumb and bad for a lot of reasons and it should go away. Really these days the only places you see it are on Chinese menus in north america, europe, and in Taiwan for romanization (Sometimes, but not always, which is actually more annoying than if it was just consistent).

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 26, 2017

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
We angered the Chinese football fans again

https://www.hongkongfp.com/2017/04/26/annihilate-british-dogs-chinese-football-fans-unfurl-anti-independence-banner-hong-kong-game/

HKFP posted:

Chinese football fans unfurled an anti-Hong Kong independence banner during a football game between the territories’ respective league champions on Tuesday evening.

“Annihilate British dogs, wipe out Hong Kong independence,” read the banner hoisted by some away fans at Mong Kok Stadium, as Guangzhou Evergrande beat Eastern Sports Club 6:0.

Guangzhou Evergrande Eastern
‘Annihilate British dogs, wipe out Hong Kong independence.’
The banner was displayed during the final moments of the Asian Champions League group stage match.

Local newspaper Apple Daily reported that some Eastern supporters responded by shouting “Shina dogs” – referencing a derogatory term for Chinese people used during World War Two.

In videos seen by HKFP, rival fans were also filmed confronting each other beneath the terraces – separated by security personnel and advertising barriers on the sidelines.

They were filmed chanting “gently caress your mother” towards each other, as Evergrande fans were filmed repeatedly singing the Chinese national anthem.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

They have come so far.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Why on earth does Taiwan not want to rejoin the mainland fold? :confused:

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Wade-Giles is bad but Pinyin is hardly better. Why does "q" represent /tɕʰ/ when they could have just written "ch", which is much closer? Why does "x" represent /ɕ/ when they could have just written "sh", which is much closer? Why does "c" represent /ts/ when it could have just been written as a simple goddamn "ts"? Why do "sh*" and "ch*" almost make sense, except when followed by an "i", at which point they sound like shur and chur? There are more but you get the point.

Before anyone says "well as long as you've learned the system, you'll know how to pronounce things with it," I'm pretty sure the same was true for Wade-Giles, at least initially. I took a quick look at the wikipedia page for Wade-Giles just now because I'm not very familiar with it, and it seems like it actually provides a system that is fleshed out enough to properly represent Chinese words. The only problem is that it makes strange choices for the Roman characters it uses to represent the Chinese sounds, which naturally has led to misinterpretation.

The reason the same thing hasn't happened with Pinyin isn't because it's superior in some way. It's because Chinese people are the ones who predominately use it, and they obviously already know how to pronounce their own words. As a Romanization system, Pinyin fails for exactly the same reason that Wade-Giles does. Case in point: show literally anyone who is unacquainted with Pinyin a sentence in Pinyin, and they will completely mangle the pronunciation regardless of how capable they are of actually producing Mandarin phonemes.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Devils Affricate posted:

Wade-Giles is bad but Pinyin is hardly better. Why does "q" represent /tɕʰ/ when they could have just written "ch", which is much closer? Why does "x" represent /ɕ/ when they could have just written "sh", which is much closer? Why does "c" represent /ts/ when it could have just been written as a simple goddamn "ts"? Why do "sh*" and "ch*" almost make sense, except when followed by an "i", at which point they sound like shur and chur? There are more but you get the point.

No offense but you're insanely ignorant about Mandarin phonology and don't know what you are talking about. Pinyin is very good at certain things, namely it is extremely systematic and regular. It is good at representing all the phonemes and having a very systematic romanization that someone already literate in another language can learn in roughly a few weeks and be able to read anything without guesswork.

The choice of /x/ or /qi/ could be considered poor choices, but "why not ch?" because /ch/ is already being used for another phoneme? It can't be used for both. They probably could have found letters that were more obvious to native English speakers, but are those necessarily going to be better for native speakers of other languages? Are they going to be any better for native Chinese speakers?

zh, ch, sh, are the retroflex versions of z, c, and s. This is why they did it, any of those with an /h/ after indicates it's a retroflex, and this choice helps show that these sounds are very closely related to each other with one single difference (being retroflex).

quote:

Why does "c" represent /ts/ when it could have just been written as a simple goddamn "ts"? Why do "sh*" and "ch*" almost make sense, except when followed by an "i", at which point they sound like shur and chur?

See above, if you did /ts/ then the retroflex (ch) would have to be /tsch/, which isn't inherently bad but it's a lot of consonants clustered together. The "i" thing is just your native language biasing you; there is no "ur," /shi/ is simply the exactly same thing as /si/ but with the tongue in retroflex position. Lips and teeth and voicing etc. are all exactly the same between the two sounds. It's the exact same difference between /su/ and /shu/, you think they should use another confusing set of letters just because native English speakers think it sounds like "ur"?

One dumb thing Pinyin did do is make certain unnecessary exceptions, for instance /ui/ --> /wei/, and /i/ --> /yi/. In most situations it didn't make weird letter changes to make it more "obvious" what it sounded like, but in very certain cases it did do this.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!

Devils Affricate posted:

Before anyone says "well as long as you've learned the system, you'll know how to pronounce things with it," I'm pretty sure the same was true for Wade-Giles, at least initially. I took a quick look at the wikipedia page for Wade-Giles just now because I'm not very familiar with it, and it seems like it actually provides a system that is fleshed out enough to properly represent Chinese words. The only problem is that it makes strange choices for the Roman characters it uses to represent the Chinese sounds, which naturally has led to misinterpretation.

The reason the same thing hasn't happened with Pinyin isn't because it's superior in some way. It's because Chinese people are the ones who predominately use it, and they obviously already know how to pronounce their own words. As a Romanization system, Pinyin fails for exactly the same reason that Wade-Giles does. Case in point: show literally anyone who is unacquainted with Pinyin a sentence in Pinyin, and they will completely mangle the pronunciation regardless of how capable they are of actually producing Mandarin phonemes.

no

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

You're under the misconception Hanyu Pinyin was designed as both a romanization system and a pronunciation tool specifically for English speaking westerners when it is neither.

e: Yale Romanization actually was designed specifically to get English speakers to pronounce Mandarin properly and is way better for that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_romanization_of_Mandarin
Mandarin classes at Yale still use it, and I've heard it works pretty well until you actually encounter Pinyin when typing/in China/etc... and have no idea what any of it means.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 26, 2017

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009
The old Korean lady in my class has a ziplock bag of stale cornflakes and is giving them out one at a time to people who are too awkward to say no thanks.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Magna Kaser posted:

e: Yale Romanization actually was designed specifically to get English speakers to pronounce Mandarin properly and is way better for that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_romanization_of_Mandarin

I followed this to the Yale Korean system and it looks like total garbage. The consonants are off somewhat but I can't figure out what the gently caress is going on with the vowels.

The example in there of writing zhishi as jrshr makes sense, that is a lot closer if you read it without knowing anything.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

I always love it when people say 'b-b-b-but j/q/x doesn't make that sound!' And it's like 'well yeah, in English maybe. In pinyin it makes the sound that it makes there.'

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

But also jyutping 4 lyf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm on vacation in Arizona and went to Antelope Canyon where I was stuck in the canyon with a tour bus full of rich mainlanders. Apparently Louis Vuitton and Armani suits are the proper apparel for canyoneering.

It was windy in the canyon and there was a lot of blown sand, so every time the wind gusted I was treated to a symphony of hacking and spitting. Only a few were wearing face masks, but one guy was wearing a face mask improvised from a pair of women's panties.

• Locked thread