Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Lurdiak posted:

You will not be surprised to learn that it was Frank Miller's fault. Although Grant Morrison really took the idea of the ultra-prepared "Batgod" to the next level in his JLA run.

Mark Waid wrote Tower of Babel, I think he deserves a little bit of credit/blame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

You will not be surprised to learn that it was Frank Miller's fault. Although Grant Morrison really took the idea of the ultra-prepared "Batgod" to the next level in his JLA run.

Did Miller write non DKR-series Batman?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

fadam posted:

Did Miller write non DKR-series Batman?

He wrote Year One, which was arguably even more influential. It's basically Batman Begins, but grittier. There was a lot of ninja in that particular story.

purple death ray posted:

Mark Waid wrote Tower of Babel, I think he deserves a little bit of credit/blame.

Oh, definitely.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
TDKR does not really hold up but Year One does

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

He wrote Year One, which was arguably even more influential. It's basically Batman Begins, but grittier. There was a lot of ninja in that particular story.

Oh, duh. I completely forgot about that.

Blockhouse posted:

TDKR does not really hold up but Year One does

TDKR is like Ender's Game and Equilibrium to me where they were so formative to my tastes when I was young that even now I have a hard time being overly critical of them. The surgeon bit when Batman is fighting the mutant leader is so cornball, but based on how I reacted to it as a kid it might be my favorite line in anything ever.

fadam fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Apr 18, 2017

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

fadam posted:

Oh, duh. I completely forgot about that.

TDKR is like Ender's Game and Equilibrium to me where they were so formative to my tastes when I was young that even now I have a hard time being overly critical of them. The surgeon bit when Batman is fighting the mutant leader is so cornball, but based on how I reacted to it as a kid it might be my favorite line in anything ever.

It's a good kind of cornball though, the kind where, at worst, you'll shake your head while smiling unironically. I think it helps that the story totally earns that scene.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
The first chapter of The Button sure wasn't what I was expecting (I'm not exactly sure what that would have been, but it wasn't that!). It was pretty drat cool, though!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

loving awful app, I close this thread by accident every time I try to post here.

I only had time to read All Star this morning and I was under the impression that Dukes codename was supposed to be revealed in this one?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

purple death ray posted:

loving awful app, I close this thread by accident every time I try to post here.

I only had time to read All Star this morning and I was under the impression that Dukes codename was supposed to be revealed in this one?

If his code name isn't canary or goldfinch I will be furious.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Can I just say that I am just as surprised as I am amused that Barry hosed up again.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I thought both Bat books this week were pretty cool. I like this trend of DC crossovers that I think sound dumb (like the recent Superman one) turning out to be rad.

The "I just need eleven seconds" line is the exact kind of corny I love.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I posted this in Chat thread but I'll post it here too: What are some good Batman stories? I've read Year One, Killing Joke, Knightfall, Dark Knight Returns, The Man Who Laughs, Monster Men, and The Mad Monk. I like the more grounded stories where he's on his own but I don't care about those things as long as the story is good.

The Chat thread had some great recommendations and this thread was referred to so I'd like to hear some of your picks.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Gaunab posted:

I posted this in Chat thread but I'll post it here too: What are some good Batman stories? I've read Year One, Killing Joke, Knightfall, Dark Knight Returns, The Man Who Laughs, Monster Men, and The Mad Monk. I like the more grounded stories where he's on his own but I don't care about those things as long as the story is good.

The Chat thread had some great recommendations and this thread was referred to so I'd like to hear some of your picks.

I haven't read all of them, but this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786419&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post463148664 has some great suggestions.

It's sort of cheating because its not Bruce Wayne, but Morrison's run of Batman and Robin (1-16 of Volume 1) where Dick Grayson takes over as Batman is terrific.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 19, 2017

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, by that same token, the Black Mirror is a great story as well.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, Dr. Hurt is on the cover of this week's Nightwing. What's going on with him?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, Dr. Hurt is on the cover of this week's Nightwing. What's going on with him?

From the first page of Nightwing #19, his soul fell into the hell of hells, where he saw the Great Beast, and he returned to his body by way of blood sacrifice. And now he's trying to forge Nightwing into a weapon to fight an evil greater than the Great Beast itself. By way of blood sacrifice. Because that's kind of his thing. There's probably more to it coming up, and I recommend reading the rest of the arc because I'm a sucker for a lovingly assembled collage of Morrison callbacks.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

fadam posted:

I haven't read all of them, but this post https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3786419&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post463148664 has some great suggestions.

It's sort of cheating because its not Bruce Wayne, but Morrison's run of Batman and Robin (1-16 of Volume 1) where Dick Grayson takes over as Batman is terrific.

Batman: Gates of Gotham is a also a great 'Batman without Bruce Wayne' story. It sucks that Flashpoint derailed what seemed like an interesting status quo (I'm talking about Cass being back in Gotham, teaming up with Tim & Damian, here). gently caress you, Barry Allen! :argh:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Gates of Gotham has lovely art and is Snyder doing his secret-history-of-Gotham stuff is always great but it sounds like it went through a couple of iterations before coming out and I really wonder what might have been.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Batman: Gates of Gotham is a also a great 'Batman without Bruce Wayne' story. It sucks that Flashpoint derailed what seemed like an interesting status quo (I'm talking about Cass being back in Gotham, teaming up with Tim & Damian, here). gently caress you, Barry Allen! :argh:

Excuse me I think you'll find it was all Dr. Manhattan's fault and not at all Barry Allen's fault!!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gaunab posted:

I will second the recommendation for Gates of Gotham. I will also recommend Batman vs Predator. I also actually really liked the Batman/TMNT comic too, if that's not too weird. The new Detective Comics, at least the first arc, is good as well.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you liked Batman the Animated Series, they've been reprinting the tie in comics from the 90s recently. Those are real good.
There's a bunch of great stories in Legends of the Dark Knight too: Gothic, Blades, Venom, Snow, Going Sane... Probably more I'm forgetting.
The Long Halloween is good. Dark Victory is the follow up to that, it's not as good, but there's some nice early years Dick Grayson in it.
Cass Cains Batgirl series is being reprinted too, finally, and all of it is solid.
Monster Men and Mad Monk are two of my favorite Batman stories ever, it's cool to find someone who's already read them.
Oh, read The Man Who Laughs, great retelling of a younger Batman's first time facing the Joker.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

purple death ray posted:

Oh, read The Man Who Laughs, great retelling of a younger Batman's first time facing the Joker.

The trade also contains a great two parter with Batman teaming with the best Green Lantern Alan Scott.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Excuse me I think you'll find it was all Dr. Manhattan's fault and not at all Barry Allen's fault!!

gently caress that noise, and gently caress DCs continuing half cocked ideas that they keep trying to make it up as they go along. And Barry Allen is still history's greatest monster. :colbert:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I have a question. I grew up with the DCAU, I've read a few scattered comics but I need some real Bat experts to help me with this.

Inspired by the scene in Mask of the Phantasm where Bruce says "I can't put myself on the line as long as there's someone waiting for me to come home."

Alfred walks up to him then and mentions Bruce's girlfriend from the movie.
Alfred walks up to Bruce and says the lady will be delighted to hear this.
Alfred, the guy who has been there every step of Bruce's life and would probably be highly distraught if Bruce got himself crippled or dead.

It's understandable that Bruce was impacted by the death of his parents and maybe some other stuff. There are more writers and continuities than I can possibly count. But have any of them properly addressed why he's so...not indifferent exactly but somewhat ungrateful to Alfred? He lost a father sure but he gained a new one. Wasn't Alfred like a new father to him?

What I'm asking is, what are the best stories that focus on their relationship where Bruce realizes how lucky he actually is?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have a question. I grew up with the DCAU, I've read a few scattered comics but I need some real Bat experts to help me with this.

Inspired by the scene in Mask of the Phantasm where Bruce says "I can't put myself on the line as long as there's someone waiting for me to come home."

Alfred, the guy who has been there every step of Bruce's life and would probably be highly distraught if Bruce got himself crippled or dead.

It's understandable that Bruce was impacted by the death of his parents and maybe some other stuff. There are more writers and continuities than I can possibly count. But have any of them properly addressed why he's so...not indifferent exactly but somewhat ungrateful to Alfred? He lost a father sure but he gained a new one. Wasn't Alfred like a new father to him?

What I'm asking is, what are the best stories that focus on their relationship where Bruce realizes how lucky he actually is?

The AU and the comics are very different. In the comics, Bruce recognizes Alfred as the father that was there for him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

NikkolasKing posted:

That particular moment might seem callous, but the real dilemma of the film is that Bruce can't be Batman and pursue a happy life. Alfred may not approve entirely of the Batman thing, but he understands. Andrea wouldn't or at least Bruce imagines she wouldn't, and he wouldn't want to keep such a huge secret from her. Obviously Alfred is family to Bruce.

Cruel Rose
May 27, 2010

saaave gotham~
come on~
DO IT, BATMAN
FUCKING BATMAN I FUCKING HATE YOU
There's this page from shortly after Bruce gets omega sanction'd

http://i.imgur.com/qqHGNYm.jpg

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Planetary/Batman is a great comic.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Cruel Rose posted:

There's this page from shortly after Bruce gets omega sanction'd

http://i.imgur.com/qqHGNYm.jpg

Aww jeez Cheeto dust is in my eyes again.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So Batfriends, what Batbooks are you looking forward to this week? I liked the way the last Detective Comics ended so I'm definitely looking forward to reading it tomorrow. Batgirl and Batman: Beyond are out tomorrow too, but I don't read either of them. I guess Batman is appearing in The Flash #21 so that's an honorary Batbook for this week.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Batgirl is still on the boring evil app developing son of The Penguin storyline, so I'm all about Da Button.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Detective is always my first read. Other than that yeahhhhh gonna have to get on That Button Train

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Detective and Flash are all I'm getting this week.

I just read my comics in whatever order they're stacked in after I've sorted them by company

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What are the best "Batbooks" going right now? Can I just jump in and enjoy? I'd be okay at starting with the various Rebirth #1 issues since it's not that much catching up to do.

Rebirth sounds confusing because it's not a true reboot or something but I guess only Superman and a couple others know this so it doesn't matter. I don't think I need to read New 52 stuff?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

What are the best "Batbooks" going right now? Can I just jump in and enjoy? I'd be okay at starting with the various Rebirth #1 issues since it's not that much catching up to do.

Rebirth sounds confusing because it's not a true reboot or something but I guess only Superman and a couple others know this so it doesn't matter. I don't think I need to read New 52 stuff?

I got back in to comics after a few years off with Rebirth and I found it very easy to get acclimatized again. I did end up going back and reading some stuff from N52, but that was just out of interest; I never felt like I was lost or behind for not knowing all the new lore or whatever.

Detective Comics is a top 3 rebirth book imo and Batman is really good too. Super Sons is only a few issues in but I really like it so far. Batwoman is good, and Trinity started strong but has been boring for like six issues lol.

fadam fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 26, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

Read the Geoff Johns Rebirth Special and you can jump right to Batman #21 for the Watchmen Button story, which started off really good.

Detective Comics is definitely the best. It's a group full of supporting characters who popped up during the weekly Batman Eternal series, but if you accept not seeing the origins, just jump on it.

Tom King's Batman is a bit of a disappointment cause he's the brightest star writer in their roster from comics like Grayson and The Vision, but it's been a bit awkward.

Batwoman seems cool so far, but definitely read the Elegy trade first. In fact, read that before Detective where she's the leader and her backstory is involved.

You should definitely read Batman and Batman+Robin from the N52, cause they're good. B+R is from the same team currently killing it on Superman.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Oh yeah, I think All-Star Batman is really good too. The Mr. Freeze and Ivy issues were definitely my favorite books the weeks they came out.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think ASB feels a bit pointless, like Snyder should leave Batman now and make his mark on another character, or save the Justice League from Bryan Hitch.

edit: Oh yeah. Batman/Shadow starts too. Super interested in that, and contradicting myself in regards to Snyder/Batman too!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Apr 26, 2017

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

All comics, and in fact most things are pointless when you think about it.

Snyder on JL would be cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

NikkolasKing posted:

So I have a question. I grew up with the DCAU,

There was a great Gotham Nights storyline (sometime after No Man's Land and just before the Bruce Wayne: Fugitive era. So late 90's early 2000)
During the story Alfred gets really badly sick from cleaning up all that guano in the Batcave.
The Bat family all reflect on how much Alfred means to them. It was really sweet.

It also features a B plot about a social worker investigating Jason Todds death which is hindered when Cassandra Cain has to pretend to be Billionaire Bruce Wayne current girlfriend.

• Locked thread