Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

angel opportunity posted:

I was looking for some board game to play on iPad against the AI while I binge watched TV, and I wanted some kind of "decent and solid" worker placement game.

I knew I already didn't like Waterdeep because it was so dry and just not very interesting, so I risked Stone Age hoping it was more like Agricola and less like Waterdeep.

I think Stone Age actually manages to be more boring and dry than Waterdeep does, which is a serious achievement. After playing so many Splotter games, I can't really handle or enjoy really dry WP games anymore where you just convert resources into points and see who has more points at the end.

Stone Age maintains a special place in my heart for two reasons:

One is the leather dice cup that comes with the physical game, it's weirdly satisfying to chuck dice using it
The other is the brettspielwelt sound effect when you took the mating hut action, which sounded like a high pitched elephant trumpet

It's nice as an intro game or to play with people who really aren't heavy gamers, but there's decent enough stuff in that space that I probably won't play stone age more than once every few years at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

silvergoose posted:

The other is the brettspielwelt sound effect when you took the mating hut action, which sounded like a high pitched elephant trumpet

Also "Ooga!"

and that cup always smells hella rank

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I tried the arkham horror lcg. It was fun but this thread wasn't kidding about needing two core sets to do any deck customization.

I'm not sure how I feel about buying an extra core set and using less than half the stuff in it. Seems wasteful.

How are the expansions? Would I end up buying each one multiple times as well?

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

please knock Mom! posted:

Anyone here have experience with replaying Gloomhaven? I'm fine with persistently changing my Pandemic Legacy box (great experience/game, btw) but wanted to keep that one around for guests/more people than just a party or two. I was thinking about just making the stickers into fridge magnets.

The Legacy elements in Gloomhaven are fairly light, and aren't really tied meaningfully to a specific party. If, say, a random location is discovered by some players on Sunday night, they'll put the sticker on the map and then another separate group could choose to do their mission there on Monday (assuming their party meets the prerequisites, something you track on a party sheet). Different parties would similarly be able to build city prosperity and unlock characters in sort of a shared way. It doesn't hurt anything to have multiple parties running, it just means stuff will get opened up faster (which is probably fine, as there's -tons- of content).

If your playgroup is really variant, there's also no problem having floating membership in your party. If one game your level 5 Brute is gone, and instead you have someone new rolling up a level 1 Tinkerer, the scenario level will adjust down so that can still work, and the game will tick along normally.

On the negative side, having multiple parties/roaming players will add a bit of setup time as you will have to reset your decks a bit more (ie. you can't just put away "your" modifier deck and pull it out unchanged for next time), but otherwise should generally work fine, and could actually make for some fun meta-game competition/surprises.

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Anyone here have experience with replaying Gloomhaven? I'm fine with persistently changing my Pandemic Legacy box (great experience/game, btw) but wanted to keep that one around for guests/more people than just a party or two. I was thinking about just making the stickers into fridge magnets.

If you want to shell out a bit more cash, you can buy removable stickers to coincide with the new kickstarter.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I tried the arkham horror lcg. It was fun but this thread wasn't kidding about needing two core sets to do any deck customization.

I'm not sure how I feel about buying an extra core set and using less than half the stuff in it. Seems wasteful.

How are the expansions? Would I end up buying each one multiple times as well?

The rest is 1x, forever.

As much as the spare non-player cards are mostly useless, once you have them anyway they spare you some effort sorting and shuffling, as you can get several Core/Dunwich scenarios set up at the same time. A lovely silver lining.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Agricola is only $36 on Amazon right now, I'm guessing thats a steal at that price?

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

jmzero posted:

Some random Gloomhaven bits, since that's all I play these days:

4. Do ditch the damage tokens. Get some little dice for monster health. We waited too long to try this, and it's way better. Finding a better solution for player health/xp is good too - but not as critical a problem as I think some people have suggested. We're playing with a mix of spindown dice and little dials, and they're very minor improvements over the markers.
Are 50 dice enough, or should I get 100? 8mm or 5mm?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
How do I get better at tash kalar I'm very bad at it

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Aghama posted:

Are 50 dice enough, or should I get 100? 8mm or 5mm?

50 should be plenty. I think ours are 8mm, but a little bigger or smaller would work too.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Rad Valtar posted:

Agricola is only $36 on Amazon right now, I'm guessing thats a steal at that price?

It sure is, grab it up! Make sure it's not the family edition.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Banana Man posted:

I'm also curious to know this. Clearly you CAN end the game by getting to 9 points by the time you run out of the deck, but I have no idea how you actually achieve this. Am I fighting to much?

jmzero posted:

50 should be plenty. I think ours are 8mm, but a little bigger or smaller would work too.

50 is overkill, so 100 would be nuts.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Banana Man posted:

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I'm also curious to know this. Clearly you CAN end the game by getting to 9 points by the time you run out of the deck, but I have no idea how you actually achieve this. Am I fighting to much?

The secret(s) of Tash Kalar are:

1. learn the general patterns of your deck, and place tiles in such a way that they are amenable to most cards in your deck. Tight groupings near colored blocks for barbarians, tetrominoes for blue/red, Y shapes for green.
2. Unless you absolutely need the space, or will get points for destroying a piece, or know in your heart that your opponent is about to do something with a specific piece, don't kill their piece. It's better to envelop or separate your opponent's forces than to destroy them. Abuse the poo poo out of flares against someone who hasn't learned this.
3. different colors are better or worse at taking ground and better or worse at holding their ground.
4. If your opponent is blitzing the High Form cards far faster than you can get them, play to take the next card coming up as soon as it lands.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Oh I didn't know dudes on a map was the name of a genre, whoops. I have stone age, LoW, and agricola... But despite their bgg rankings I'd rather play any other game

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Oh I didn't know dudes on a map was the name of a genre, whoops. I have stone age, LoW, and agricola... But despite their bgg rankings I'd rather play any other game

Smart move. Those aren't DOAM, they are worker placement. Stone Age and LoW are Baby's First Worker Placement and Agricola is for masochists.

It's possible that you won't enjoy any games in the WP genre, and that's perfectly OK! But if you still want to figure out whether you do, try Caylus, Keyflower, and Viticulture.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah I think you can tell I'm not the most knowledgeable trad gamer haha. I'll keep those in mind along with blood rage and nexus ops, some others I saw being mentioned favorably.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

Impermanent posted:

The secret(s) of Tash Kalar are:

1. learn the general patterns of your deck, and place tiles in such a way that they are amenable to most cards in your deck. Tight groupings near colored blocks for barbarians, tetrominoes for blue/red, Y shapes for green.
2. Unless you absolutely need the space, or will get points for destroying a piece, or know in your heart that your opponent is about to do something with a specific piece, don't kill their piece. It's better to envelop or separate your opponent's forces than to destroy them. Abuse the poo poo out of flares against someone who hasn't learned this.
3. different colors are better or worse at taking ground and better or worse at holding their ground.
4. If your opponent is blitzing the High Form cards far faster than you can get them, play to take the next card coming up as soon as it lands.

To add:

5. Certain basic patterns appear in every deck. Everyone has a four-piece L-shape, for example, or three pieces in a right triangle. Learn to recognize these basic shapes.

6. You don't have to know every card in every deck by heart. But the sooner you internalize the Legends deck, the better.

7. Don't end your turn without a plan for your next turn. Better yet, try to have two plans whenever possible. Creating fork scenarios is the key to maintaining pressure.

8. Keep your eye on the prize. Its easy to get bogged down in meaningless trades. Always ask yourself, "Is this play going to help complete a task or legend? If not, is it going to immediately deny my opponent a task or legend? And if not, why am I doing it?"

9. The one exception to the above: Always play your Flares whenever you can. Check your conditions every turn. Smoke 'em if you got 'em. Even if you're only getting one half of the card. Getting a free action advantage is invaluable. (Like, there are high level reasons to perhaps hold a flare between turns. If you're still running through your deck before reaching 9VP though, you don't need to worry about that yet.)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Also killing your own pieces in a bad position to set up a flare that allows you to place pieces in a better position is also sometimes worth it. Most high level strats are about being ahead but not so ahead hat your opponent can flare.

Autodrop Monteur
Nov 14, 2011

't zou verboden moeten worden!
Has anyone played Yamataï yet? From what I understand it shares some similarities with Five Tribes and I really like that game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CaptainRightful posted:

It's possible that you won't enjoy any games in the WP genre, and that's perfectly OK! But if you still want to figure out whether you do, try Caylus, Keyflower, and Viticulture.

Keyflower isn't a worker placement game, it's an auction game with elements of WP. I agree with the other suggestions, though.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

MG42 posted:

Has anyone played Yamataï yet? From what I understand it shares some similarities with Five Tribes and I really like that game.

I'm interested in this as well, it looks really appealing visually but appears to have a similar sort of AP monster 'everything you do can potentially help other players' mechanic as Five Tribes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

Keyflower isn't a worker placement game, it's an auction game with elements of WP. I agree with the other suggestions, though.

Eh that's definitely a semantics debate. You place meeples to bid or to use a tile, which is definitely worker placement in every way. Keyflower is great though, no matter what you call it.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Bottom Liner posted:

Eh that's definitely a semantics debate. You place meeples to bid or to use a tile, which is definitely worker placement in every way. Keyflower is great though, no matter what you call it.

There's no real first come, first serve mechanic though, as your meeples can be sent home by someone bidding more. So a bit less like most worker placements.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

What are considered good dudes on a map games? I just figured out I don't have any, does Andean Abyss count?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Kemet
Inis
Blood Rage

In that order.

nimby posted:

There's no real first come, first serve mechanic though, as your meeples can be sent home by someone bidding more. So a bit less like most worker placements.

Yes, but it's much better than bland worker placement mechanics because of this. It uses worker placement in a new and better way and if you are looking for WP it should be on your radar.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Apr 26, 2017

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Ropes4u posted:

What are considered good dudes on a map games? I just figured out I don't have any, does Andean Abyss count?

There's a thread for that! If you mean war-y dudes on map.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564278

The entire COIN series is great depending on what setting you like best. Andean Abyss is a little rough around the edges, since it's the first game in the series, but it finds its stride in game 2 (Cuba Libre) and keeps on being good.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I mean usually by fall it's more worker placement then auction because you are trying to use as many tiles as you possibly can.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Keyflower is definitely worker placement. It's also auction.

Games can be in multiple genres, turns out. But certainly, if someone is looking to try out different WP games, and has tried waterdeep, agricola, stone age, then Keyflower is definitely on the list because of that blending.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

COOL CORN posted:

There's a thread for that! If you mean war-y dudes on map.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3564278

The entire COIN series is great depending on what setting you like best. Andean Abyss is a little rough around the edges, since it's the first game in the series, but it finds its stride in game 2 (Cuba Libre) and keeps on being good.

Do the other games get better and better? I haven't been able to get ADP on the table yet, but I should sometime in the next two weeks. That's the first one I got since it was said to be the best in the series, but now it's up to 8 games and I'm wondering if that still holds true.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Can someone list like maybe -ten- "dudes on a map" games? I'm trying to figure out if I've played really any of them. Is Dominant Species "Dudes on a Map"?

Doug
Feb 27, 2006

This station is
non-operational.

CommonShore posted:

Can someone list like maybe -ten- "dudes on a map" games? I'm trying to figure out if I've played really any of them. Is Dominant Species "Dudes on a Map"?

Kemet
Inis
Blood Rage
Star Wars Rebellion
Scythe
War of the Ring
Eclipse
Game of Thrones
Forbidden Stars
Chaos in the Old World

It's really just a subset of the area control genre specifically utilizing miniatures. Dominant Species probably doesn't count because while it's area control, the figures are just abstract wood shapes.

edit:

vvvvv Wait what? How does War of the Ring not count? It has miniatures(dudes) on a map vying for area control.

Doug fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 26, 2017

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Kind of. DS is a weird action selection area control hybrid. Awesome, but not really the same thing..

Kemet is the main one these days, I don't really like the genre at all so I can't name much. :v:

Also War of the Ring is not at all in the same genre, it's a goddamn 2p wargame.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Speaking of Keyflower, are there any other euros that have as strong a sense of progression baked into the game as that game does with the seasons? That's one of my favorite things about it, that the progression is game-driven rather than player-driven but without feeling heavy-handed.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Doug posted:

Kemet
Inis
Blood Rage
Star Wars Rebellion
Scythe
War of the Ring
Eclipse
Game of Thrones
Forbidden Stars
Chaos in the Old World

It's really just a subset of the area control genre specifically utilizing miniatures. Dominant Species probably doesn't count because while it's area control, the figures are just abstract wood shapes.

Wait what, you need to specifically have minis to be a DOAM game? I mean in that case my favorite introductory one is Tokaido. There's definitely area control in that one.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

Kemet
Inis
Blood Rage

In that order.

Yes, but it's much better than bland worker placement mechanics because of this. It uses worker placement in a new and better way and if you are looking for WP it should be on your radar.

Dungeon Petz has a pretty novel placement idea with order of placement being determined by size of the group of workers you're sending out

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Dudes on a map doesn't specify miniatures. It's just area control marked by pieces.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Roads and Boats is DoaM except the D stands for Donkeys. (or not)

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Roads and Boats is DoaM except the D stands for Donkeys. (or not)

What? No it stands for ducks.

Ducks on a Mine (or in a pond)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Tales of Woe posted:

Speaking of Keyflower, are there any other euros that have as strong a sense of progression baked into the game as that game does with the seasons? That's one of my favorite things about it, that the progression is game-driven rather than player-driven but without feeling heavy-handed.

Brass, with the canal/rail phases. Kanban has a really cool way of progressing through rounds (it's both player and game driven but still has something of a soft timer), involving a pace car and a boss that moves around the board. Tzolkin's seasons are thematically and mechanically solid.

My favorite player driven end condition is probably The Great Zimbabwe (essentially the more stuff you take, the harder it is for you to win, and the winner is the player who overshoots his victory requirement by the highest amount).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Chill la Chill posted:

Do the other games get better and better? I haven't been able to get ADP on the table yet, but I should sometime in the next two weeks. That's the first one I got since it was said to be the best in the series, but now it's up to 8 games and I'm wondering if that still holds true.

My personal scores:
1. Andean Abyss - covers the guerrillas and drug gangs in 1990s Colombia. First in the series, and like I said, rough around the edges. Personally I thing it's kind of bland, but still interesting for what it is. Doesn't have much of the chrome that the later games have. 6/10
2. Cuba Libre - covers the Cuban revolution. This hits a really sweet spot between playtime, space, theme, and fun. It's small and (can be) short, so it's playable at a game night, and tends to be my go-to game in the series to teach new players. 9/10
3. A Distant Plain - covers modern Afghanistan. ADP shines more as a multiplayer game than a solitaire game. The fun of this one is really the conniving and political backstabbing. 8/10 only because I tend to primarily play solitaire.
4. Fire In The Lake - covers the Vietnam insurgency. More chrome-y than ADP, which is more chrome-y than CL. This is my favorite in the series. It's big and long, but it oozes with theme. 10/10
5. Liberty Or Death - covers the American Revolution. More chrome still! Even though this is a 4 player game, it plays best at 2 I think. The Native American and French factions are booooring. So, it's best to play British/N.A. vs American/French. My least favorite of the bunch. Things feel really cramped and awkward. 4/10
6. Falling Sky - covers the Gallic wars. Even though it's the same system, this one feels a lot different. The map design was revamped (player pieces are kept off-board now), and the map itself is really small and intimate, without feeling cramped. And they've done a good job of making each faction feel super different, instead of just feeling like different colored pieces that have slightly different goals. In FS, each faction plays incredibly different. 8/10 only because the theme doesn't appeal to me as much.

Future games:
7. Colonial Twilight - a two player (!) COIN game covering the French-Algerian war. I'm excited for the 2-player aspect, but not interested in the theme.
8. Pendragon - covering the fall of Roman britain. This is supposedly getting really good early reviews, with a really great battle system.
9. Gandhi - sorta obvious what this one is about. The previews look super interesting, I'm excited to see what kind of political intrigue will go on here.