Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

My blu-rays are divided by ones I've seen and ones I haven't.

Main collection is alphabetical, separate section for movies I haven't seen, second separate section for movies I haven't watched on the disk I purchased, but only in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

MacheteZombie posted:

My blu-rays are divided by ones I've seen and ones I haven't.

I do that, too. Out of my 300+ disc collection, I'm down to three I haven't seen. The Hustler, Miller's Crossing, and a two-pack of Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla & Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla II.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I typically don't blind buy movies so its rare that I'd have one on my shelf that I haven't seen. Happens from time to time with box sets but not often.

I'm gonna do the whole "what do I feel like watching tonight" system and see how that works. Gotta think of how I want to divide things up though....

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
I blind buy occasionally. It's awesome if you like the movie, but sucks if you don't.

The only unwatched movies I currently have are Zardoz and Meet the Robinsons. I've just never been in the mood to watch either. These were bought at second hand stores though so it's not like a wasted a ton of money on them.

I also have a bunch of unwatched kids movies on some 10 pack that I bought because Matinee was on it.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I blind buy a lot these days compared to my younger shopping self. Criterion and Arrow have made blind buying a wonderful experience. Even if that means getting jaw dropped by stuff like Nekromantik

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I also have a bunch of unwatched kids movies on some 10 pack that I bought because Matinee was on it.

I think I have that same ten pack. It also has Ghost Dad and King Ralph.

It was worth the $3 just for Matinee.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I also have a policy of never blind buying, but I have a thing where I have to watch a disc I buy before I put it away. Which means every single thing filed in my collection I've seen at least twice, and there are about 12 movies on the top of my shelf that have not been watched since purchase.

There is one exception: Toy Story 3. I blind bought it to fill out the set, but I decided I wanted to rewatch the first two again before the third, and then my kid outgrew wanting to watch pixar films at the exact same time. So I filed it. It's the only movie filed away that I've never seen, I've been waiting for my kid to be in the mood to watch the trilogy with me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I am horrible with spending money so I blind-buy pretty much every Criterion that I buy. Haven't hit one that I regret yet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

GonSmithe posted:

I am horrible with spending money so I blind-buy pretty much every Criterion that I buy. Haven't hit one that I regret yet.

Same, except 40-50% of my total library are blind buys. I get suckered in by rad covers, especially if it's 70s/80s sci-fi.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MacheteZombie posted:

I blind buy a lot these days compared to my younger shopping self. Criterion and Arrow have made blind buying a wonderful experience. Even if that means getting jaw dropped by stuff like Nekromantik

Nekromantik is a hell of a blind buy and I respect you for it.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I think I have that same ten pack. It also has Ghost Dad and King Ralph.

It was worth the $3 just for Matinee.

That's the one. I've seen Matinee, Ghost Dad, the Wizard and a Cop and a 1/2. I'll probably watch King Ralph someday, but not bother with the rest.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Movie value and collector's value. I bought the Kino Buster Keaton box set knowing better editions are coming over the next few years, but I didn't want to miss the chance to own all of his work now.

I'll also grab up a bunch of stuff in sales. I don't mind blind-buys for Criterion sales since it's more likely I'll like it. Which is good, since I tend to be right. The Double Life of Veronique, Army of Shadows, 8 1/2, Lonesome, and Mulholland Dr. were all blind-buys and they're among my favorites. Sometimes it doesn't work, like The Man Who Fell to Earth and Repulsion, but they at least have resell value.

Also, discount bins are like catnip to me. And I didn't really anticipate owning the Twilight Zone set since I'm happy with having it on Netflix, but $64 for a complete series would be insane to turn down. But the vast majority of titles I own were purchased during sales. Very rarely I'll pay a premium, unless it's a film I really love (pre-ordered Napoleon the minute it was up on Amazon UK) or it'll be a collector's item later (A Man for All Seasons).

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I stuck all my unwatched stuff together on one shelf and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. Maybe 25-30 individual films, so just under a fifth of my stuff. It's a weird mix too, lots of stuff I must have bought dirt cheap or at Half Price Books.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

CopywrightMMXI posted:

I blind buy occasionally. It's awesome if you like the movie, but sucks if you don't.

The only unwatched movies I currently have are Zardoz and Meet the Robinsons. I've just never been in the mood to watch either. These were bought at second hand stores though so it's not like a wasted a ton of money on them.

This is random but meet the Robinson's is one of the best Disney films and it's totally underrated. Also, my brother loved working on it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

LloydDobler posted:

There is one exception: Toy Story 3. I blind bought it to fill out the set, but I decided I wanted to rewatch the first two again before the third, and then my kid outgrew wanting to watch pixar films at the exact same time. So I filed it. It's the only movie filed away that I've never seen, I've been waiting for my kid to be in the mood to watch the trilogy with me.

Toy Story 3 gets better with distance from the first two, honestly. It's very much a movie for people who grew up with the first two.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That benefits your movie-watching anyways because Toy Story 3 is about being outgrown by your children.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
$8.18 - Heat (+ UV) (preorder, ships may 9th)

https://www.amazon.com/Heat-Blu-ray...29f24406eeb3205

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Apr 25, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I spend some time yesterday completely rearranging my collection into a more genre/mood based system. It was kinda therapeutic in a way, because I was forced to push past my movie OCD and make some tough decisions.

Went with 1 section each for action movies, crime/detective/gangster movies, thrillers/psychological thrillers(basically the Hitchcock shelf), "epics"(the David Lean and PTA shelf),scifi,Criterions and box sets, schlocky horror movies and creature features.

It's a beautiful disaster. No way anyone but me would be able to quickly find a film in all that mess but hey I had fun.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Back in the day when I had an abundance of free time I'd rearrange my collection at least weekly. I think I went through every possible configuration. There was even an instance, I poo poo you not, when I attempted to organize by spine color in an attempt to fashion a perfectly even color spectrum. I gave up about halfway through.

Nowadays it's simple alphabetical by title. Everything's mixed together - DVDs, Blu-rays, films, TV. Director's box sets go by last name. It's simple, efficient and doesn't require any mental energy. I leave space at the end of each shelf for breathing room so it's not a big pain when I add new titles.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

Nowadays it's simple alphabetical by title. Everything's mixed together - DVDs, Blu-rays, films, TV. Director's box sets go by last name. It's simple, efficient and doesn't require any mental energy. I leave space at the end of each shelf for breathing room so it's not a big pain when I add new titles.

This is how I do it. Anything with one or more differently titled films in one is based on the first listed.

Anything that I haven't watched yet goes in a pile (it's rarely more than three), and once finished goes onto the rack

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I reached a point with my Criterion collecting where I realized that I had a glut of movies that I even though I kind of liked them I knew with certainity that I was not going to rewatch them, and in fact that the simple act of owning them wasn't really worth the shelf space. So I burned through the entire set along with a lot of non-Criterions and sold off a couple hundred dollars worth to just get a bit more economical with what I did have. I don't think I'll ever get rid of what I have left, though it does make double dip upgrades such as Heat a bit tough because sites like decluttr have a minimum requirement.

But at the end of the day it was a much more manageable amount of disks and I became completely comfortable with just keeping it simple and doing alphabetical for everything. I keep some older/legacy DVDs separate but otherwise keeping it all alphabetical is simple enough. I just don't buy stuff as much anymore, the next Criterion sale is going to be real tough scrounging up enough titles to get free shipping. I also don't want to repeat the mistake I made with TV shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad, where if I had waited just a few years I could've saved so much money by just buying the complete series set instead of each season.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Nate RFB posted:

I also don't want to repeat the mistake I made with TV shows like Mad Men and Breaking Bad, where if I had waited just a few years I could've saved so much money by just buying the complete series set instead of each season.

Eh, the only reason I have the individual seasons of Breaking Bad is because I got seasons 1-4 combined on sale for less than the MSRP of season 4 one black Friday.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I ended up getting the whole Mad Men set but back in the day seasons would go for $5 each.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Criterion is definitely a dangerous habit that I have to really make sure doesn't get out of control. Right now I have about 30 of them, but those 30 cover almost all of the films that I really feel compelled to own. So the trick is to just be happy with the collection I have and don't just mindlessly add to it because there's a 50% off sale at Barnes & Noble. They will typically put out 1 or maybe 2 releases per year that are must buys for me, so that's enough. No reason to start becoming a completionist about Criterion because that rabbit hole is very deep.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Those god drat spine numbers are the most brilliant thing Criterion could have ever done.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Spatulater bro! posted:

Those god drat spine numbers are the most brilliant thing Criterion could have ever done.

It irritates me to no end that there's numbers I will most likely never get.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

MacheteZombie posted:

It irritates me to no end that there's numbers I will most likely never get.

Including number 1

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

you mean.... Citizen Kane../?? :smuggo:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Including number 1

You might say looking for it is just chasing a grand illusion.

e:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Nekromantik is a hell of a blind buy and I respect you for it.

Knowing some things about you and having read some of your posts on the topic in the past, I appreciate this sentiment. Thanks. It was a lot more than I bargained for, that's for sure.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 25, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Rusty Staub posted:

you mean.... Citizen Kane../?? :smuggo:

I see what you did there.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I don't get owning all the Criterion spines unless you're with a library or archive.

Even if I bought every single one I'm remotely interested in, I'd still only be around 180-200 including those I already own. And I still wait for sales. Blow-Up and Being There are among my favorite movies, but I'm still waiting for the next 50% off at B&N or Criterion.com

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I bought all of the Dragon Dynasty DVDs thanks to the numbers on the spine. Skipped the blu rays though because some of the transfers were only 1080i, I did pick up 5 Deadly Venoms however.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

I don't get owning all the Criterion spines unless you're with a library or archive.

Even if I bought every single one I'm remotely interested in, I'd still only be around 180-200 including those I already own. And I still wait for sales. Blow-Up and Being There are among my favorite movies, but I'm still waiting for the next 50% off at B&N or Criterion.com

I get it, I just don't subscribe to it. Meaning I understand why people do it. If I have a 39 and next to it I have a 41, then it's worth $30 simply to be able to put that 40 in there. Doesn't even matter what the movie is.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

I get it, I just don't subscribe to it. Meaning I understand why people do it. If I have a 39 and next to it I have a 41, then it's worth $30 simply to be able to put that 40 in there. Doesn't even matter what the movie is.

I guess it's nice for those who can pour money into a hobby like that, but it's like the collectors that get multiple copies of a film for packaging. Just seems unnecessary.

I've even sold off my DVDs as the Blu-Rays come out since I don't have a reason to own more than one edition unless there's a good reason (like my ancient 1998 DVD of Amadeus).

My goal is to have the most complete library to my tastes and part of the fun of it is picking out stuff out of a sea of choices.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Egbert Souse posted:

Are you saying that you're not interested in a bunch of lovely laserdiscs? Pfffft....loser.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Imagine having a nice shelf of Criterions with Armageddon sitting in the center.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Imagine having a nice shelf of Criterions with Armageddon sitting in the center.

I would make all of them Armageddon's.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I have about 30 Criterions, including a used copy of Armageddon. Bought it for two bucks, I think.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Still better than Chasing Amy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

CPL593H posted:

Are you saying that you're not interested in a bunch of lovely laserdiscs? Pfffft....loser.

I dodged a bullet since I asked for a DVD player in 2000 and went 50/50 with my parents.

A year earlier, I probably would have gotten into laserdisc instead.

• Locked thread