Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

get that OUT of my face posted:

she honestly believes hillary clinton lost because the obama justice department didn't prosecute g*merg*ters, which she said formed the basis of trump's voting base. she's a full-blown moron and nobody should vote for her

also she's a tech democrat and we all know how noble and virtuous they are

Like I said, not endorsing. Really condemning everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoctorGonzo posted:

Less serious chat, more mocking.

Brianna Wu (D-Mass)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
brianna wu's twitter feed is filled with ridiculously stupid things and you picked the one time she actually had a point. grats my man.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Endorph posted:

brianna wu's twitter feed is filled with ridiculously stupid things and you picked the one time she actually had a point. grats my man.

This. She is nuts and a narsassitic rear end in a top hat a lot and I'd never want her in any position of power, that being said. She comes off as one of the better people in the woke bullshit and genuinely seems to love her hobby and she makes good points like the post above.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i remember when getting mad about video games meant getting beaten at them, not about the social issues or the backlash to caring about social issues

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Endorph posted:

The problem is the demo breakdowns don't back up the assertion

http://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/

Overwhelmingly the game styles most played by women are pure mechanical games in puzzle quest style match games or time management sims.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Byolante posted:

The problem is the demo breakdowns don't back up the assertion

http://quanticfoundry.com/2017/01/19/female-gamers-by-genre/

Overwhelmingly the game styles most played by women are pure mechanical games in puzzle quest style match games or time management sims.
Yeah but those seem include people who don't own any dedicated game consoles but play games on their phones or on facebook, where simple mechanical-focused games are the only ones that exist, and you're only playing for five or ten minutes at a time so a narrative-heavy game isn't plausible. You can see evidence that women who spend more dedicated time playing games enjoy more narrative experiences more, like how Star Wars The Old Republic has more female players than an average MMO, and it's also an MMO with dialogue options and a dedicated cutscene mode, by a company with a reputation for involved narratives.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

Yeah but those seem include people who don't own any dedicated game consoles but play games on their phones or on facebook, where simple mechanical-focused games are the only ones that exist, and you're only playing for five or ten minutes at a time so a narrative-heavy game isn't plausible. You can see evidence that women who spend more dedicated time playing games enjoy more narrative experiences more, like how Star Wars The Old Republic has more female players than an average MMO, and it's also an MMO with dialogue options and a dedicated cutscene mode, by a company with a reputation for involved narratives.

yeah but excluding facebook games and that kinda stuff just leads into the stinking abyss of "who's the real gamer :smuggo:"

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

ttHis is why tromp won

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If you vote for me, I will fund time travel research so I can go back in time and prevent video games from ever being invented.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
^^^^ Hell, I'd vote for you on that platform

Endorph posted:

If you remove mobile and facebook games from the population then you remove the majority of people who play games.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Oh dang video games huh?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[the voice of the woman from total recall] video games. vvvideo gammes. vvIDEO gaMES. vevideeea ggames

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Endorph posted:

i always wanted to try old republic, but my pc sucks rear end and i am sure its not that great. but i am a dude and i like narrative driven stuff too. also i can sorta believe woeman would want to find a game to get invested in rather then just basic gameplay.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

For the dems, the media and the like...it's much, much easier to adopt people like Wu than it would be to admit that perhaps we need to back more Bernie Sanders clones.

It means they'll just try their best to retool neoliberalism and kinda go from there. This is what they feel their base is now.. I don't know...how..."large" of a base it is, but that's where they're going.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

yeah but excluding facebook games and that kinda stuff just leads into the stinking abyss of "who's the real gamer :smuggo:"

For the most part I'd say it's worth considering them to be different from what people normally consider videogames to be in the sense that people seem to have different expectations of them and habits, mobile games have generally been a very low barrier to entry way to kill short amounts of time rather than something people have played to get engrossed in(not to say there aren't any hardcore grandmas who play the poo poo out of farmville). The low barrier to entry aspect is I think an important one as well, because as consumers they're generally not buying the hardware so they can play games, and they're rarely buying the software in any sense either(2.2% of players spend money, 10% of those spenders(i.e. about .2% of the total) account for almost half total spending).

When talking about demographics, mobile and browser games were never bundled in with "traditional" videogames by the games industry or media because they're rightfully completely separate groups, they only started being bundled together when someone thought they could make a (wrong)point about how girls are just as into videogames as boys are(Wii U e-shop numbers put them at like 7%, and Steam has about 4%(where gender is known)according to google's analytics).

The "casual" or "mobile/facebook" label for games as well as not bundling them in with non-casual/mobile/facebook has always seemed like sufficient differentiation to me, I think the "real games" debate should mostly be about things like "walking simulators".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

lohli posted:

The "casual" or "mobile/facebook" label for games as well as not bundling them in with non-casual/mobile/facebook has always seemed like sufficient differentiation to me, I think the "real games" debate should mostly be about things like "walking simulators".

pretty much. alot of walking sims are fine games or at least interesting. the only bad ones are by Chinese room and those woke hippie dickheads who made sunset.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

you realize that if this is true... I still don't care

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

this conversation is going down exactly as expected

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I play video games. Some are fun, some are not. This concludes my opinion of video games.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the only angry video game arguments i wanna see in this thread is over which snes rpg was the best (it's earthbound btw)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its not a very hardcore opinion but smrpg always makes me the happiest to play

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

the only angry video game arguments i wanna see in this thread is over which snes rpg was the best (it's earthbound btw)

final fantasy 6 but ima be honest, all the majors are good games

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
jrpgs are invariably utter trash

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

that means a lot coming from u

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

bitch. thats' right. video game fight is BACK ON

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Skyrim is kinda bad

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

skyrim helped give us breath of the wild so thats to its credit. like how morrowind helped give us :darksouls:

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Games are bad

Well, someone had to say it

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
So are movies, books, basically all art

But maybe they were better once?

No, they were not, they were always bad

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

rudatron posted:

So are movies, books, basically all art

But maybe they were better once?

No, they were not, they were always bad

What about Hitagi End?

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

there's been a lot of really good art and entertainment and media this year imo

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

wizard on a water slide posted:

nah 6 is the best, probably trigger after that

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

GoutPatrol posted:

Persona 5 came along and ruined the genre for everyone else.

Topical it can be babbie's first anti-neoliberal radicalisation path.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

wizard on a water slide posted:

GoutPatrol posted:

I agree with all of these statements simultaneously and see nothing wrong with that

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Office Surprise Store posted:

the moon stuff was a lot of fun

i absolutely, unironically would vote for someone who wanted to throw rocks at people from the moon. that's badass as hell.

buncha "WELL ACTUALLY..." nerds want to debate the 'science' of it instead of just tossing moon boulders and seeing what sticks

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh rad I didn't know we had a new hellthread

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
Videogames are bad.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Jeb! is good!

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012

free basket of chips posted:

Oh rad I didn't know we had a new hellthread

Is Tezzor still around? Its not a hellthread without Tezzor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MaxxBot posted:

Jeb! is good!
i fully support the jeb!/jeter bid to own the miami marlins, aka "Plea2e Clap"

speaking of baseball, please stop appointing random schmucks as quick fixes for the democrats. theo epstein probably wants nothing to do with politics

• Locked thread