Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I'm getting curious about pinhole particularly pano's. Can anybody recommend a nice 6x12-6x17/18 120 roll film pinhole camera?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Large format vs medium format!

I shot this scene on the Chamonix 4x5:

Just after shooting a panoramic version of it on the Fuji GFX:

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Digital still can't render bright yellow for poo poo

ryangs
Jul 11, 2001

Yo vivo en una furgoneta abajo cerca del río!
Okay, you guys were right. I got the Pentax 6x7. :love:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

A lot of the Rolleiflexes I see for sale have a selenium cell light meter below the brand mark on the front. Those are all pretty much non-functioning (or at least inaccurate) these days, right? Just use a separate meter, or follow your heart, but don't GAF about the integrated meter. Often the listings don't say anything about their functionality, one way or another.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

SMERSH Mouth posted:

A lot of the Rolleiflexes I see for sale have a selenium cell light meter below the brand mark on the front. Those are all pretty much non-functioning (or at least inaccurate) these days, right? Just use a separate meter, or follow your heart, but don't GAF about the integrated meter. Often the listings don't say anything about their functionality, one way or another.

Never trust a selenium cell meter unless you bought it brand new and have thoroughly tested it.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

SMERSH Mouth posted:

The Rolleiflex I had came with an accurate selenium cell meter but like 8th-snype says, unless you know it works, don't trust it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
If it doesn't say anything it's broken.
If it says functioning it's probably not accurate.
If it says MINT++++ A++ it's broken.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Wild EEPROM posted:

If it doesn't say anything it's broken.
If it says functioning it's probably not accurate.
If it says MINT++++ A++ it's broken.

True. As a professional eBay auction lister (for all of two weeks) nearly every camera we list is put up as "not tested". Unless it comes across my desk as I'm the only vintage camera guy on staff, then I'll check the shutter and light seals but still list stuff as "not extensively tested".

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I have a bunch of cameras with selenium meters, in my experience they are enormously variable. Some just don't work at all, almost all of them are inaccurate. Mostly the ones that are inaccurate aren't consistently so, they'll maybe be -1Ev at one point and then +2 somewhere else. I tend to just forget that they exist and guess at the exposure instead. I'm usually closer than the lightmeter is.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I may just get a Minolta Autocord instead. There are so many Rolleiflex models, but I'm really only interested in the 75mm Planars or Xenotars, and there aren't many I can find right now that really jump out at me.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
lovely photo of an 11x14 clear glass ambrotype on a black bedsheet

The exposure is bunk but I'm finally happy with the even flow of developer over the whole plate, which is what I was trying to nail today. It's slowly all coming together with these 11x14's

If the weather holds out this week I hope to get out and do some nice trees.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shot on a Kodak Hawkeye 50th Anniversary using Kodak Porta 400. This 87-year-old camera came to me in insanely good condition and I plan on using it more in the future.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

Broom Maker - Mamiya C330 - Porta 160

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

fastbilly1 posted:

Broom Maker - Mamiya C330 - Porta 160

where did your blacks run off to

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

ansel autisms posted:

Good question. It was magic hour and he was wearing blue on blue on blue and threading brown. Photo was not modified in Photoshop, just scanned and uploaded.

He was also the only person at the entire event that knew what a TLR was. We chatted for a bit because of it, he carried a Yashicaflex A for many years.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

fastbilly1 posted:

Good question. It was magic hour and he was wearing blue on blue on blue and threading brown. Photo was not modified in Photoshop, just scanned and uploaded.

He was also the only person at the entire event that knew what a TLR was. We chatted for a bit because of it, he carried a Yashicaflex A for many years.

you should learn to use photoshop instead of trusting your scanner (or a lab) to do the work for you.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

fastbilly1 posted:

Photo was not modified in Photoshop, just scanned and uploaded.

how does it feel being a lazy hack who doesn't give even the briefest of shits to dust his negs, let alone color correct for a mediocre scan

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

dusty negs should be bannable, qtiyd

fastbilly1
May 11, 2016

ansel autisms posted:

you should learn to use photoshop instead of trusting your scanner (or a lab) to do the work for you.
I did trust the scanner on this one, lab only develops the film since my wife is very allergic to developer. I will likely give it a full scan and touchup in Photoshop in the future, for now I just wanted it digitized and thought it was cool enough to share. I do appreciate the advice.

Mr. Despair posted:

how does it feel being a lazy hack who doesn't give even the briefest of shits to dust his negs, let alone color correct for a mediocre scan
Pretty good actually. Its better than having the Dunning–Kruger effect, when you know that you are a hack.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

Underground Reciprocal Fail-Road :downsrim:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

red19fire posted:

Underground Reciprocal Fail-Road :downsrim:

Not sure if this counts as a racist joke. 🤔

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 6, 2017

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Bigfoot by Rohan Bassett, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Choicecut
Apr 24, 2002
"I don't want to sound gay or anything, but I'd really like to have sex with you tonight.
I like postcards too."

--Choicecut, TYOOL 2016

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

That's real nice, and the technical difficulty of getting that shot on wet plate is ridiculous

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cheers bud
Yeah she moved a fair bit during the 32 second exposure but it turned out way better than i thought it would

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Did you do anything to change/add to the natural lighting for that shot sludge?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah I hung a thin bedsheet in front of the window to diffuse the sunlight

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Sludge Tank posted:

Yeah I hung a thin bedsheet in front of the window to diffuse the sunlight

Somewhere, Red19fire is twitching uncontrollably and doesn't know why.