Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Yo know what, gently caress it. At least it will shake things up. Bring it on :goatse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
I have no idea how decoupling will affect the meta either.

My hunch is:

PPFLD with jump jets will be relatively more powerful because it won't be as effected. With -50% fall damage reduction they can do more retarded jumps to bap people, and how slow they move doesn't matter anymore.
Mechs that do not have jump jets will not be able to peek and poke as effectively, especially if they depended on the accel/decel from a huge engine, which means KDK3s, timber wolves, ebon jags will all suffer. Trying to peek and use laser vomit will kill you.
Mechs with undersized engines will see pretty fair boost in agility, like the mist lynx, urbanmech, kit fox, etc. In the previous PTS the lights still handled like dogshit though, and trying to peek around a corner will totally kill you.
Mechs with MASC, due to having godlike accel/decel, will be able to crush mechs that do not when it comes to the peek/poke game. Shadowcats will be king poo poo.
Smaller engine sizes being used across the board, because accel/decel/turn rate was the most important thing for taking a huge engine. Speed is still important, but not as important as more guns and more heat sinks.

Decoupling everything with nerfed agility, which is what they're doing across the board, makes it so that trying to see what's around the corner or over the ridge without using jump jets will mean that you will be lingering in the line of fire for much longer after you expose.

If they keep lights as is you'll see:

-Less lights, because they handle like bricks and have terrible turn/accel/decel compared to what they have now. Even though everyone else will be lumbering behemoths, you're still going to get trashed by them because when you try to out turn or stay behind them you'll handle like a potato.
-Less poke/peek laser vomit and PPFLD without jump jets.
-Less brawlers actually managing to get into a fight, due to acceleration being terrible. If you stop your atlas to wait for a push, it is going to take 11 seconds for you to hit top speed, and if you run into someone during the brawl and stop it will take another 11 seconds to regain speed.

If they give lights an actual fighting chance then there'll be a crazy shakeup where ppfld jump jet mechs will get poo poo on by swarms of babies, and I have no idea where things will go from there.

So the ideal meta is going to settle further into piles of night gyrs making GBS threads on each other from afar.

The reason why I say the PHX3S is going to be king poo poo is that it is not only getting an overall minor movement/speed/agility buff from this change, but everyone else is also getting nerfed heavily. In the PTS 1v1 fights I was able to wheel around heavies using MASC and jjs and 100% dependably stay behind them like what you can do to a stalker or direwolf now, and against other mediums and the gunboat lights I was able to treat them like I do heavies now. With reduced engine sizes in heavier mechs it will also mean that its 169kph speed will be running an even larger speed gap on its prey. It was retarded as gently caress and hilarious.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 26, 2017

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I would like a video of your Phoenix Hawk.

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
When is all of this going down?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

So this isn't by chassis, and there's a separate skill tree for every single variant? That seems... excessive, and needlessly complicated.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 26, 2017

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Skippy McPants posted:

So this isn't by chassis, and there's a separate skill tree for every single variant? That seems... excessive, and needlessly complicated.

It's a separate skill tree for every single mech you own, even copies of the same variant of a chassis.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Zebulon posted:

It's a separate skill tree for every single mech you own, even copies of the same variant of a chassis.

:aaaaa: But why....

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Beet Wagon posted:

:pgi:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Because gently caress you for daring to play their game.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

Reducing grind in your game by increasing the grind. This is either savvy as heck, or dumb. (You don't need to answer this is :pgi: afterall.)

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

This is because I re-downloaded this game last week after a year long hiatus or something, isn't it?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I'm also confused as to why they've opted to refund older modules in a different currency than the one used to purchase them. Is it some technical limitation? Because if not, that seems like inviting trouble for no reason.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm also confused as to why they've opted to refund older modules in a different currency than the one used to purchase them. Is it some technical limitation? Because if not, that seems like inviting trouble for no reason.

You've basically summed up their entire company philosophy.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

They posted an update about the weekend event:

quote:

POST EVENT UPDATE!

Hello all!

First:
I want to say sorry for the frustration this event caused everyone. It was not my intention at all.

Second:
We very briefly extended the event to adjust the "All Done" Challenge to only require 7 of 9 challenges complete.
This change allowed players to get the Mech Bay without having to complete the dreaded "Failed Delivery" or "Necessary Roughness" Challenges.
The "extension" was to give the script the chance to run one final time. and the Mechbays were injected.

However, that is not all we are doing.

As a Consolation Prize anyone who completed 1 Match of Incursion with a minimum Match Score of at least 80 (during the Event) will receive the following rewards as our way of saying sorry for the frustration caused by this event.

Consolation Prize -

Anyone who completed 1 Match of Incursion with a minimum Match Score of at least 80 during the event will receive 250,000 C-Bills, 200 MC, and 2 days of Active Premium Time (activates on your next log in).

That covers 99.5 % of the people who played this weekend!

In the interest of transparency...
Here are some additional Completion Stats

First Foray 86.3243%
I've Got The Power 28.1888%
Powered Up 26.2549%
Rock'em 67.9991%
Sock'em 60.2637 %
Delivery Failed 22.1744%
All Your Base 26.0837%
Raid Complete 55.9565 %
Necessary Roughness 57.6313%
All Done 25.3528% (before we changed the requirements)

Lesson Learned:

I based the Actions in the Challenge off 1 days worth of stats from the new Game Mode. More Data would clearly have been preferable.
We needed a way to increase the frequency of a particular Game Mode as a voting option. Currently, we can only adjust Map weighting. However, Mode weighting functionality should arrive with our May patch, so in future mode-related events we won't have this particular issue again.

We hope everyone enjoys the Consolation Prize as things return to normal in the Quick Play Queue.
Our next event will target Faction play....
Rally your Units and Lock in your contracts...

I know that laughing at :pgi:'s malice and incompetence is a five-year-long tradition by now, but honestly the attitude they display now is pretty much 180° from what they were like as late as a year ago. Walking back on Energy Draw (compare to how the original ghost heat got crammed down players' throats and no mistake was ever admitted), repeatedly shelving and reworking the skill tree, and frequent little things like this one.

I'd like to think that the relentless shellacking they got from their players had a part in making them improve. Spare the shitpost, spoil the dev.

e: In the interest of the above, notice how the % of people who completed All Done is somehow higher than that of people who did Delivery Failed. :pgi: :pgi: :pgi:

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 26, 2017

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

In regards to the above with the event, the post about that was edited, before it might as well have spelled out TUKAYYID IS THIS WEEKEND OKAY before it was changed to be a bit more subtle. No idea what WoL/GIRL are pledged to right now, but might wanna start coordinating soon if we're not.

Commoners posted:

Mechs with undersized engines will see pretty fair boost in agility, like the mist lynx, urbanmech, kit fox, etc. In the previous PTS the lights still handled like dogshit though, and trying to peek around a corner will totally kill you.

The inverse is also true- the Kodiak is... well, not irrelevant, but lost a lot of what made it special, because now it accelerates at the same 6kph/s that a Direwolf does, so that huuuuge engine is only straight line speed, not turning or torso twisting speed. In fact, it's a huge nerf to most clan non-lights that tend to be over-engined like the Timberwolf which is now carrying a largely-useless 375 engine; same goes for all the other 87kph clan heavies except some of the lightest ones like the MDD maybe. The Night Gyr is a lot closer to optimal now because the only way in which it's less agile than a TBR is in straight line speed which is probably the least important aspect of overall agility as long as you're fast enough to move with the team.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Time to brush up on my Spirit Bear skills I guess.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat
even if they were to give me triple value in whatever iteration of disney dollars they are up to now just looking at that skill tree is enough to make me never want to play the game ever again

Zebulon posted:

oh. oh wow.

giantpgi_vomiting_smaller_pgis.gif

Banano fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 26, 2017

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It's like the sat down and tried to make a skill tree even more bloated and obtuse than the one in Path of Exile.

For Reference:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

It's a lot worse than the PoE skill tree though, I made the comparison elsewhere- Sure, PoE is complicated, but A) you get your points one at a time and have to invest outwards from a single point, so your options aren't... everything everywhere at once. And B) you only have to put points into PoE once and it drastically affects everything you do in the game on a fundamental level, so it feels worth it. Compared to MWO where you might have to fill out the tree a hundred times if you have that many mechs, and it just sorta makes you ~15% better at stuff you already did instead of interfacing with everything in the game on a basic level.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

It also seems like you have to reconfigure the whole tree and pay a respec premium if you want to change a chassis loadout, which is another one of those things you'd think any game in 2017 ought to know better than to make you do.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I was going to start playing again. Glad :pgi: did me a favour and helped prevent that.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I wouldn't mind a shakeup to the meta, but only because I only own mechs that have fallen out of favor because I haven't played in a year..

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Decoupling the engines will be the biggest balance change. Bigger engines, like aniviron said, are going to be out of favor and baseline agility stats are going to be the important thing. The closer you are to a 250 engine (with exception to some assaults being inhibitively slow) you are, the more optimal your mech is going to be, because 250 is where you are most optimal heat-wise and engine-tonnage-wise. This is the change that is going to make or break a mech, and it may honestly be the one that will completely invalidate some mechs regardless of how nice their firing points are.

The skill trees will overall make a very minor change to balance, because when it comes down to the nitty gritty it'll be a net change (if you count modules in and their quirk reduction from the previous iteration) of +5% total range, -2% cooldown, ??? +/- laser duration (depending on what your mech had before), a marginal increase to armor/structure for survivability, and the rest of the points are essentially becoming modules/consumables or stats that will return you to the previous baseline with a tiny bit on top from the previous iteration.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
wth is missle racks and ballistic magazines on there for? Are they changing how those work now?

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The Kodiak would end up fine. You would just run it with a smaller engine and more weapons/heat sinks. It's the clan 'Mechs with locked engines that may get penalized.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Ardlen posted:

The Kodiak would end up fine. You would just run it with a smaller engine and more weapons/heat sinks. It's the clan 'Mechs with locked engines that may get penalized.

Yeah, it'll still be a good mech (because everything else is also getting nerfed), but it'll be a shadow of its past performance. Absurd accel/decel rates is what allows it to be so dominant, so it's falling back with the pack with the decoupling. Even if it has piles of guns, it doesn't matter if it just gets shot to death after it exposes and cannot un-expose itself.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Commoners, you think this is the first step in them trying to slow the game down in terms of manuever and TTK?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

TTK will drop because more guns on slower mechs that cannot withdraw as effectively after they round a corner/peek over a ridge. I think they're TRYING to reduce TTK, but if that's their goal they aren't doing it effectively.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

I just can't wait till the kickstarter battletech game finally launches at this point. I might see how gimped lights and mediums will be and if its to awful I think I will walk away for good finally.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

what's really going to drop is TTU*

*time to uninstall :v:

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Definitely conflicted about lowering mobility- I think having it so high like it is right now makes it feel less like a mech game, but it will absolutely hurt TTK if you lower mobility and in the worst possible way- that is, longer games with lots of waiting followed by very quick, decisive engagements. Overall I think it's a bad move, the game would need a total overhaul of how weapons work to have lowered mobility mechs be fun.

And yeah of course mechs like the Kodiak are still gonna be good because of high mounts and clan and assault etc, but it's going to be way way less good. I mean, you'd think the Dire Wolf would be top poo poo based on its ability to take 53 tons of clan ballistics with reasonable mounts but it's pretty bad because it's unmaneuverable. Similarly, the Kodiak is not gonna be that great because it has a super limited torso twist and takes 11 seconds to accelerate to top speed.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

mark my words, the new meta is going to be pop tarts. Don't need to be fast if you can jump and dual gauss poo poo.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cyrano4747 posted:

mark my words, the new meta is going to be pop tarts. Don't need to be fast if you can jump and dual gauss poo poo.

Patch notes:
- We have discovered that players are still able to maneuver and some of you idiots have even managed to keep brawling. To rectify this, we've removed every `Mech's ability to move and positioned them 1 km apart across a big flat empty field.

Right click, left click, right click, left click.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Patch notes:
- We have discovered that players are still able to maneuver and some of you idiots have even managed to keep brawling. To rectify this, we've removed every `Mech's ability to move and positioned them 1 km apart across a big flat empty field.

Right click, left click, right click, left click.

Why stop there? :v:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=408&l=9bccd4c01d524ea8969b0dcc36e8d3f6af9df720

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Commoners, you are the only good thing to come out of this tire fire of a game.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

KDK already out performing the annihilator I see.

armchairyoda
Sep 17, 2008
Melman

:vince:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

What do you need leg and head armor for? Nothin. Get to your sniper position before those 200 standard scrubs. :smuggo:

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=408&l=cd791ff8cd18e48269950ba8d4b014183d793c34

Dueling Bandsaws
Mar 3, 2016

Plek posted:

KDK already out performing the annihilator I see.

But I only see four Gauss Rifles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
exclusive preview of the next version of the skill trees

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 27, 2017

• Locked thread