Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Less Fat Luke posted:

Oh poo poo, seems like you can't get into the robotic logistics network without jumping from science pack 1+2 to a five-pack combo!

Yeah they punted logistics 'til way down the tech tree, which I actually think is pretty cool. You need yellow science for it now, which means blue chips and speed modules. poo poo, man!

So far 0.15 is awesome, but the tech tree is even more daunting than ever before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah they punted logistics 'til way down the tech tree, which I actually think is pretty cool. You need yellow science for it now, which means blue chips and speed modules. poo poo, man!

So far 0.15 is awesome, but the tech tree is even more daunting than ever before.

This makes me sad because I love bots, but also they're basically a cheat code for logistics so it makes sense.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
How much uranium ore do I have to process before I get any U-235? I've worked through fifty units and I've gotten nothing but U-238.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Spaseman posted:

How much uranium ore do I have to process before I get any U-235? I've worked through fifty units and I've gotten nothing but U-238.

The guy in the last video I watched thought it was around 0.7% of ore that turns into U-235.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Gadzuko posted:

This makes me sad because I love bots, but also they're basically a cheat code for logistics so it makes sense.

Yeah I agree with you, I think the bots make you lazy in a very slightly degenerative way. At least putting it that far down the tech tree, it's by the point that you've done all the heavy lifting with belts and trains already so you should have built the infrastructure, so you deserve to be able to cheat with bots by that point.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

Help I'm trying to play this game again but my factories are all spaghetti and ruin my OCD/ASD I just want to mass produce red beakers

Embrace the spaghetti. Figure out some basics. When you start automating some new part, try to make it as pleasing to you as possible.

Then, when your current factory is meeting your needs but is too spaghetti to expand well, start building a new factory somewhere else. This time, you have all the components you need to start making a beautiful factory!

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Did they change where construction bots fit in the tree or just logi bots?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Solid Poopsnake posted:

What about the rest of your mods?

My vaccination sites are burning white-hot but I'm waiting for those and Long Reach.

Side Inserters work just by punching in a new version number, albeit with some weirdness in pickup direction selection

vOv posted:

nah, the basic robotics look to be the same as they ever were. the active providers and requesters are just sealed behind 150 vials of grape and gold now

it's not that it's so much harder to reach, but rather that the stuff behind it, which was also bought with the same blue science, are much easier now by virtue of production science

scamtank fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Apr 26, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

vOv posted:

Both logistic bots and construction bots just require red/green, it's only the logistic chest tech (purple/blue chests) that got moved way down.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Should mention that you can get the personal roboport with blue science, and the recipe requirements for it were knocked down too so it's still well worth picking up the other bot research for personal reasons.

Edit:

Manyorcas posted:

I was able to generate it just fine a few minutes ago in the new version. In fact, I have a question about it: does the map seed overwrite the map's generator settings? I was able to get the same island in both normal and rail world settings, so either those settings don't effect the general starting location given the same map seed or they won't do anything at all when given a map seed (aside from polution/biter/etc. behavior).
I did manually set the ore spawns to Very Low/Very Big/Very Big because I hadn't looked at how the presets changed things. I believe that's mostly what the Rail World setting does, in addition to changing biter behavior which I didn't do.

Onean fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 26, 2017

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You don't have to research blueprints at all now?!?!?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Nope! And blueprints/blueprint books in the right half of that screen are available to you in every map.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

scamtank posted:

nah, the basic robotics look to be the same as they ever were. the active providers and requesters are just sealed behind 150 vials of grape and gold now

A Mardi gras of science vials, if you will.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

Fans posted:

Factorio: A real belter.

They built their factory on our backs. They spilt the blood of a million of our brothers, but in their eyes, we're not even biters anymore. :(

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Onean posted:

Nope! And blueprints/blueprint books in the right half of that screen are available to you in every map.

You do first have to drag the blueprint to the section on the right of the blueprint screen, that puts in your blueprint store to be available to you in every game. Drag it to the left and it gets attached to the save itself, which would presumably be for sharing in multiplayer.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Manyorcas posted:

I was able to generate it just fine a few minutes ago in the new version. In fact, I have a question about it: does the map seed overwrite the map's generator settings? I was able to get the same island in both normal and rail world settings, so either those settings don't effect the general starting location given the same map seed or they won't do anything at all when given a map seed (aside from polution/biter/etc. behavior).
The resource settings (except water) are independent of the map generation seed. You can use the same seed+water setting and get exactly the same map but with different amounts of resources in different places.

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

ShadowHawk posted:

The resource settings (except water) are independent of the map generation seed. You can use the same seed+water setting and get exactly the same map but with different amounts of resources in different places.

Onean posted:

I did manually set the ore spawns to Very Low/Very Big/Very Big because I hadn't looked at how the presets changed things. I believe that's mostly what the Rail World setting does, in addition to changing biter behavior which I didn't do.

Cool, thanks! My friend that I'm getting into the game specifically wants to have to need a shitload of railroads to get things done so I wasn't sure if I'd be able to do that with the awesome islandspawn.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
If there is an oilfield semi nearby, I guess it makes sense to build a refinery there and belt the products into the factory?Then build a rail station outside the refinery to bring in new products from the frontier, yes? I don't want my messy refinery loving up my pretty factory.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
If it's too close for a train to be worth it (which is pretty far, to be honest, if you have a lot of underground pipes) I would just use underground pipes + small pumps. It's a lot easier to pump only crude than to refine it and pump the products to the factory. Since oil products require some non-oil materials (iron, copper, water, etc.) I personally thing you're better off with a centralized oil refining setup that's relatively near your factory.

Of course, at large scales, having smaller satellite factories supplying those extra, non-oil materials to your refinery and then shipping the end goods to your main factory also works.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Solumin posted:

If it's too close for a train to be worth it (which is pretty far, to be honest, if you have a lot of underground pipes) I would just use underground pipes + small pumps. It's a lot easier to pump only crude than to refine it and pump the products to the factory. Since oil products require some non-oil materials (iron, copper, water, etc.) I personally thing you're better off with a centralized oil refining setup that's relatively near your factory.

Of course, at large scales, having smaller satellite factories supplying those extra, non-oil materials to your refinery and then shipping the end goods to your main factory also works.

Thanks! Yeah last factory I spent a comical amount of time setting up infrastructure to process oil at the oilfield, that was really dumb. I can't believe I though about doing it again.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
You also don't want to process oil at the oilfield because that's more poo poo you either have to pack up and move or replace when that oilfield runs dry.

However, once my factories get bigger, I have separate satellite factories with their own refineries and chemical plants dedicated to manufacturing a single product (i.e. plastic, sulfur, solid fuel, whatever) and just haul in the raw goods as needed. I don't like having one big cluster of refineries making petroleum that I then send off to various needs because if there's a backup in the lubricant production then it's going to strangle your plastic production.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

PROTIP: Zoom in far enough in the map screen and you can see a fuzzy image of what is in view/radar range. You can insert things into buildings from this view if you're in range, or presumably place blueprints.

I'm probably late to the party on this one.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Flow Control updated to 0.15, still sounds like a euphemism for tampons.

Pump buffs mean the express pump is no longer required, so I have removed it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Note now in 0.15 you start the game with access to blueprints. So you can plan out however you like from the getgo!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How do you guys start your run out? I tend to build a big smelter area a green circuit factory and a red/green science factory with labs, and then kind of waffle about for a bit trying to figure out what I want to do next.

Do you have a plan for each of your starts?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Solumin posted:

Embrace the spaghetti. Figure out some basics. When you start automating some new part, try to make it as pleasing to you as possible.

Then, when your current factory is meeting your needs but is too spaghetti to expand well, start building a new factory somewhere else. This time, you have all the components you need to start making a beautiful factory!

I stockpiled up a bunch of parts and built it up again.

Working on automating steel production and intermediate production. I need to rebuild that left part but I'm proud of my coal distribution!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

scamtank posted:

Side Inserters work just by punching in a new version number, albeit with some weirdness in pickup direction selection
That's because the base game now has a SHIFT+R keybind to rotate anti-clockwise. I've updated Side Inserters to 0.15 and changed the default pickup rotate keybind to CONTROL+R

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Factorio: alt.pave.the.earth

http://msherman.tripod.com/pave_faq.html

1.1 Why pave the earth?

There are several advantages of a paved Earth over a non-paved Earth, the only really important one is the ease of driving though. Today roads are narrow, you have to turn, and most governments frown at ground travel over Mach1. With endless blacktop in every direction, there will be no restriction to your movement, and rocket powered hypercars will whiz in all directions. We will be able to amuse ourselves with endless driving at incredible speeds while drinking beer and eating wonderfully juicy burgers.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

I stockpiled up a bunch of parts and built it up again.

Working on automating steel production and intermediate production. I need to rebuild that left part but I'm proud of my coal distribution!

If you hit ALT you can place an icon on what things are producing, of what they are producing. It is quite helpful.

Consider watching Bent Ham at "Mangleporked Gaming" or Katherine of Sky on YouTube for some neat tips on optimizing layouts.

Don't be afraid to space out a little bit. Belts are not expensive and length does not affect throughput.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MisterOblivious posted:

Factorio: alt.pave.the.earth

http://msherman.tripod.com/pave_faq.html

1.1 Why pave the earth?

There are several advantages of a paved Earth over a non-paved Earth, the only really important one is the ease of driving though. Today roads are narrow, you have to turn, and most governments frown at ground travel over Mach1. With endless blacktop in every direction, there will be no restriction to your movement, and rocket powered hypercars will whiz in all directions. We will be able to amuse ourselves with endless driving at incredible speeds while drinking beer and eating wonderfully juicy burgers.

The only reason I'm bothering with rocket launches is so I can press ahead with the ultimate goal of chroming the moon.

alt.pave.the.earth was one of the best newsgroups going

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Collateral Damage posted:

How do you guys start your run out? I tend to build a big smelter area a green circuit factory and a red/green science factory with labs, and then kind of waffle about for a bit trying to figure out what I want to do next.

Do you have a plan for each of your starts?

I am very new to the game, after automating green and red science, I get a basic bus with two lines of copper and iron running, plus a line of circuits and clean up my circuit manufacturing in green science. Then I add steel to the bus as well. I also feel like I waffle. Are there intermediate products worth automating?

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 31, 2022

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

Dirk Pitt posted:

I am very new to the game, after automating green and red science, I get a basic bus with two lines of copper and iron running, plus a line of circuits and clean up my circuit manufacturing in green science. Then I add steel to the bus as well. I also feel like I waffle. Are there intermediate products worth automating?

Almost everything- the only things I don't are refineries ( since you don't need many), wood poles (since I upgrade to the metal as fast as I can) and the one or two items that you only need one of. If you don't need to do it for research, it ends up being faster to automate it anyway.

It may seem to take a little longer than doing it by hand, but they are being made constantly as opposed to you manually making it each and every time. It's really nice to shift click on a box and have an entire stack in your inventory any time you need it. Ammo and assemblers were things I did by hand when I started since they didn't seem to be needed to be mass produced- a bad idea.

The game once you open up green science now seems like much more whack a mole than before, but it might just be me. It also might be my start since I have to clear a shitton of trees. A really nice start barring those, and of course they moved the flamethrower back a little :(

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 26, 2017

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
My big early-game tip is to just chuck down an assembler with boxes for inputs and outputs, set it to make stone furnaces and just chuck a bunch of stone into it. It doesn't seem like much, but being able to just drop by and pick up a few hundred stone furnaces is a huge deal if you're setting up a big smelting area.

It will tide you over just fine until you've got a proper bus going, at which point you can use the bus for automating higher-tier furnaces.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Goon Island right now, after about an hour of play. I started a bus, then realized how close to the coast I was. :downs:

I also have an absolute fuckton of coal on the island so I guess oil won't be a problem in the future if you can liquefy coal to use as oil.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 31, 2022

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009

splifyphus posted:

No single person could automate everything,

Not with that attitude you ain't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

GotLag posted:

That's because the base game now has a SHIFT+R keybind to rotate anti-clockwise. I've updated Side Inserters to 0.15 and changed the default pickup rotate keybind to CONTROL+R

:tipshat: