Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Internet Explorer posted:

I want to know how you actually get a virus on a server these days. I'm not even mad, that's impressive.

Sefal posted:

boss: Nah. it works fine now. Logged in as local admin

or that.

Vargatron posted:

Not content to just say "I disagree", goons must attack your intelligence as well.

you have a small penis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

CrazyLittle posted:

you have a small penis

Sir, I have a medical condition.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Vargatron posted:

Sir, I have a medical condition.

Is it adipositas? :unsmith:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

SEKCobra posted:

Is it adipositas? :unsmith:

Micropenis.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Explains why you're comfortable playing goalie.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

dogstile posted:

Explains why you're comfortable playing goalie.

No, that's genuine mental illness.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

People that don't use Outlook rules are weird.

Thoughts?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tab8715 posted:

Thoughts?

Company I'm consulting for hired a new Systems Engineer, and the guy didn't know how to setup rules, then proceeded to complain about the amount of email he got. I showed him how to sort and use rules, he still doesn't use them.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Tab8715 posted:

Thoughts?
Every time I add someone to a particular distro, which I manage membership for but not content of, I get complaints that the distro is too busy.

So, what, is your inability to filter by rules suddenly my problem?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The first Outlook rule I make is one that suppresses the new mail notification for stuff that I'm just CCd on.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Every time I add someone to a particular distro, which I manage membership for but not content of, I get complaints that the distro is too busy.

So, what, is your inability to filter by rules suddenly my problem?

Not even necessarily the ability to filter, but the professional skill to ignore email while they get important work done uninterrupted.

"I filter it to this folder here but there's always unread emails so I have to click on that folder every ten seconds!"

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Thanks Ants posted:

The first Outlook rule I make is one that suppresses the new mail notification for stuff that I'm just CCd on.
I'd actually never seen it before my current job, but here's an interesting one. I'd seen emails which are to a particular distro, which people A through Z are on. Then halfway through the thread, someone would be like "++ G" and manually add that person to the TO line. I thought this was nonsense - he's in the distro, do you not see that? But it turns out it's common enough for people to filter off emails sent to a distribution group but take immediate action if they're on the TO line. Not giving an opinion either way on that, but it's something that is done.

My own email approach is pretty simple. If a human being wrote it, it goes to my inbox, and if it's automated, it goes to a folder for later (unless it's a proper alert, of course).

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Not even necessarily the ability to filter, but the professional skill to ignore email while they get important work done uninterrupted.

"I filter it to this folder here but there's always unread emails so I have to click on that folder every ten seconds!"
God it's sad because it's true.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 25, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

That only works if idiots use CC correctly

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Tab8715 posted:

Thoughts?

I get over a million emails yearly :suicide: I have to use 35 rules, one being a popup box whenever anyone uses my name in the body, to not get buried every day

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Tab8715 posted:

Thoughts?

Wrong, people who have massive inbox folder trees but do not use Outlook rules are weird.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I have two folders, Inbox and 'poo poo I don't care about'

Sepist fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 25, 2017

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I have a monitoring folder I make sure to not look into too often. Our monitoring is flaky as poo poo and our software team decided that they don't need to actively fix some of their systems going down for 1,5 minutes every once in a while because they could just have those notifications disabled for themselves. Of course I still get them.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

:agreed:

Every once in a while I notice someone's unread email badge on their mail app is like 25,000 and just go :psyboom: At that point you're obviously getting a shitload of automated junk and making zero effort to filter any of it. How do you possibly even notice when a non-poo poo message comes in?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Docjowles posted:

Every once in a while I notice someone's unread email badge on their mail app is like 25,000 and just go :psyboom: At that point you're obviously getting a shitload of automated junk and making zero effort to filter any of it. How do you possibly even notice when a non-poo poo message comes in?

:shrug: You don't, you just scream at people for not notifying you of ANYTHING, EVER!!!! Obviously.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If someone sends you an email, but you couldn't find it because of all the other noise you get in your inbox, did they tell you?

(The answer is yes. Manage your inbox.)

I'd liken it to like, laundry. I shouldn't have to tell you to stay on top of email anymore than I have to tell you that shirt could use a wash. To go even farther, I'm not sure if I can trust someone who can't manage their inbox, because how on earth are they going to handle actual responsibilities.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

SeaborneClink posted:

:shrug: You don't, you just scream at people for not notifying you of ANYTHING, EVER!!!! Obviously.

my brain screams at me when I read the yospos secfuck thread and sees the future crumbling down.
now my brain is screaming at me for this thread

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
We use Google Apps and I have practically no filtering and just search for what I need.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
The most important Outlook rule is the one that marks all received emails sent with high importance as normal importance.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

The most important Outlook rule is the one that marks all received emails sent with high importance as normal importance.

Absolutely. I wish we could administratively disable high importance for our O365 environment.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Vargatron posted:

Absolutely. I wish we could administratively disable high importance for our O365 environment.
I think you might be able to do that with a transport rule.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Inspector_666 posted:

We use Google Apps and I have practically no filtering and just search for what I need.

This is how I operate. People who get pissy because an inbox isn't "clean" make me laugh.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Vargatron posted:

Also disable read receipt requests.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also disable read receipt requests.

What's the point of this poo poo if you can just hit No?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Docjowles posted:

I've seen a few people like this (particularly bad managers) and rather than thinking they're just messy and not taking care of a little admin work, I just think to myself they are too reliant on E-mail in the first place and has lost its effectiveness.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tab8715 posted:

Inspector_666 posted:

The correct answer.

I have a few GMail labels that I use for mailing lists that I don't read regularly and would like to be able to conveniently review recent threads when I have spare time, but normal email is just a stream of whatever's current with search for whatever's not.

I have a few users that have literally hundreds of tiered folders in their inboxes and I just don't get it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 25, 2017

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vargatron posted:

Sign your mail with a personal certificate to get peoples attention instead.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was recommended papercut previously. I checked it out and it looks alright. It claims to do what I need but who knows how it is to implement and get working properly.
Xerox also tried to sell me a 3rd party solution; Cirrato. It seemed stupidly complex and expensive but might actually work?

PaperCut works well and isn't a giant pit of despair like Equitrac. Stay the gently caress away from that one and if somebody suggests it start beating them and never stop.

PaperCut also has a free print logging utility that you can throw on a print server for tracking and auditing purposes if you don't want to spend actual money on a real control mechanism. It also has the typical bells and whistles for MFDs (MEAP apps for Canons, etc.)

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
Inbox chat:

I get hundreds of emails every day. Any automated alert except for branch WAN link down gets filtered into one of two alert folders. Any ticket that is in my notify rules gets sent to a specific folder. everything else goes to my inbox, and I read every one. I then mark it as unread if I need to take action on it and only mark it read after I have actually done so.

It's effective enough.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Inspector_666 posted:

We use Google Apps and I still have a billion ridiculous filters because of all the alert lists I'm on that I'll never read

fixed for me

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

wolrah posted:

I have a few users that have literally hundreds of tiered folders in their inboxes and I just don't get it.

Well yeah this is retarded too. Classifying every email into its own hand-crafted artisanal kale-scented folder isn't productive, either.

Do you guys in the "no filters, no masters, just search" crew just not get that many emails? If I didn't filter on a few key categories of automated messages I'd be right there with Mr. 25k unread mails and never know when something I actually needed to read arrived. And that's been consistent across every sysadmin job I've ever had.

I had the exact same issue at past jobs that used Google Apps, btw. It's not an Outlook issue. If everything dumps into my Gmail inbox and I have to search for "NOT dumbalerts AND NOT poop AND NOT butts" to get a usable view, guess what, that's still filtering.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Docjowles posted:

Well yeah this is retarded too. Classifying every email into its own hand-crafted artisanal kale-scented folder isn't productive, either.

Do you guys in the "no filters, no masters, just search" crew just not get that many emails? If I didn't filter on a few key categories of automated messages I'd be right there with Mr. 25k unread mails and never know when something I actually needed to read arrived. And that's been consistent across every sysadmin job I've ever had.

I had the exact same issue at past jobs that used Google Apps, btw. It's not an Outlook issue. If everything dumps into my Gmail inbox and I have to search for "NOT dumbalerts AND NOT poop AND NOT butts" to get a usable view, guess what, that's still filtering.

I worked with a guy before he became a PM that had a ton of folders, some of those would only have one or two emails in it. I questioned him on it a few times and he'd always just say that's how he liked it. Didn't seem to hurt him too much, but he would have to scroll up and down the list a few times looking for the right folder.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I have a few folders. One for payroll/HR type stuff.
A folder with a bunch of subfolders, one for each distinct project I work on.

A big folder for stuff that doesn't have my name in the to or cc fields.

A folder for emails from addresses that don't match in the address book.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I really don't like sharepoint.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!

wolrah posted:

Kind of like SA, the more sub-forums you have the less attention each one gets. :ms:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GOOCHY posted:

Kind of like SA, the more sub-forums you have the less attention each one gets. :ms:

Same with children.