Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
200+ games no wins but I'm top 200. My shame burns bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

how bad would lag be from NZ to US? currently have a friend interested but he wouldn't play unless he can squad up with us, so aus servers aren't a real solution.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
LAVs and armoured vehicles are a bad idea IMO, but a technical could be cool for squad games. Provided that ammo would be relatively rare, that could be pretty fun.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

how bad would lag be from NZ to US? currently have a friend interested but he wouldn't play unless he can squad up with us, so aus servers aren't a real solution.

Where in the US are you guys?

It's going to be at least 300ms

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Hey yo, turn off Post-Processing. The game looks and runs so much better.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

Futaba Anzu posted:

I know from AU to the US is pretty horrid, and from AU to the Asia server can be pretty crap too.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

funny Star Wars parody posted:

NZ to Central US runs around 250/260 usually, West Coast might hit 230.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

funny Star Wars parody posted:

Raged posted:

I know from AU to the US is pretty horrid, and from AU to the Asia server can be pretty crap too.

any way to specify usw or use servers since we're p spread out. or would it at least be smart enough to pick usw servers if we did play with him? Where exactly are the servers located in regards to western and eastern US servers?

Is lag handled through rubber banding or just delayed reactions in this game?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Moonsha, an aussie, plays on US servers and gets awesome lag armor. Its really quite absurd and they should enforce a ping limit, but for whatever reason they don't.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Futaba Anzu posted:

any way to specify usw or use servers since we're p spread out. or would it at least be smart enough to pick usw servers if we did play with him? Where exactly are the servers located in regards to western and eastern US servers?

Is lag handled through rubber banding or just delayed reactions in this game?

It depends where you are, they use AWS iirc so typically I get sent to Cincinnati or Chicago depending on who I'm playing with and where they're from. When I play with Aussies in overwatch we get sent to their Chicago server and they have around 320ms ping so it ultimately depends on if NZ has worse internet than Australia (it did when I lived in Oz)

Generally the servers will out you in the node that is the most central for everyone but you can't specify "oh I'd like to be us west or us Boston" or whatever

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

VulgarandStupid posted:

Moonsha, an aussie, plays on US servers and gets awesome lag armor. Its really quite absurd and they should enforce a ping limit, but for whatever reason they don't.

Pardon me while I give the US server another shot.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

VulgarandStupid posted:

TRIP REPORT: I got my first win

Don't really think it was the lag armor. I just played stupidly aggressive with the auto shotty in the final 2 circles for once and dropped 5 smoke in them.

Also: Auto Shotty is my friend and he is strong.

Raged fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Apr 26, 2017

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

Silenced M16 and plenty of smoke carried me to the final 2, but the circle was closing closer behind me forcing me directly towards the other guys cover, with nothing in between.

I was so close.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
lol this drat game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzJ7UVtFcwE

Jamming on the F button worked eventually I guess!

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

Gorefiend posted:

Silenced M16 and plenty of smoke carried me to the final 2, but the circle was closing closer behind me forcing me directly towards the other guys cover, with nothing in between.

I was so close.

Sometimes that's just how it plays out. :shrug:

The circle mechanic can be pretty unfair, and sometimes even if you make all the right decisions in your given circumstances you can't outplay the other person as long as they don't do anything extraordinarily wrong with their positioning. The good thing is that it keeps the game rolling and ultimately forces people to play the game instead of doing what a lot of people do where they're so desperate to 'win' that they spend thirty minutes playing hide and seek instead of actually playing the shoot other people game.

The other nice thing is that if you're going by reward alone, you get a shitload more points for just murdering droves of people than you do for actually winning. Seven or eight kills and not even reaching the top ten will get you as more than only killing two or three people and fully winning the match.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Raged posted:

Don't really think it was the lag armor.

it was probably the lag armor

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
It really has been laggy as gently caress tonight. Still fun but man.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Party Plane Jones posted:

Similarly to Arma there really needs to be a running coordinate GPS system so you can clearly say which grid you're in. The GPS unit was essential to good DayZ coordination. Granted being able to set team markers negates a lot of the need for this but still.

This already exists in the game on your minimap. All the 100mx100m sectors are numbered.

Ok, how do I win game? I can grab top 10 more than 20% of the time but I haven't nailed one down yet. I most commonly eat it 10-9-8 or in the 4-6 range. I don't even think I've made it to #2 in solo. I feel like if I did that I'd probably win, I just can't get it to 1v1.

e: we specifically were trying to be more aggressive tonight, dropped on the school 3-4 times. Won it a couple.

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlindingFastBaguettePeoplesChamp

What'd I do wrong? The 2 things that stand out to me are 1) should have just hosed that guy up with the M16 and saved the uzi if I desperately needed to hose someone down and 2) stayed back further as the guy rushed into the gym because I've got him dead to rights anywhere in that room.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 26, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Raged posted:

Don't really think it was the lag armor. I just played stupidly aggressive with the auto shotty in the final 2 circles for once and dropped 5 smoke in them.

Also: Auto Shotty is my friend and he is strong.

This is basically what you did to people and you should feel bad.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/134859354

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Badfinger posted:

Ok, how do I win game? I can grab top 10 more than 20% of the time but I haven't nailed one down yet. I most commonly eat it 10-9-8 or in the 4-6 range. I don't even think I've made it to #2 in solo. I feel like if I did that I'd probably win, I just can't get it to 1v1.

Ive won 1 time and came in 5th as well as 2nd before in like ~30 games, the times where I got close to winning was anticipating the final circle and being prone by the time it started to get really tight or like when i won when i could hide in one of the picnic shacks.

So uh anticipate and get there first and camp? Don't shoot and reveal yourself until absolutely necessary and let everyone else kill each other.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Hey yo, turn off Post-Processing. The game looks and runs so much better.

What is that effect even supposed to do?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

yeah i mean the best way to finish in the top 5 is to drop as far away as possible from anybody else, loot up to an AR with a good scope and some level 2 gear, then get to where you think the game will end and camp while everyone else kills each other. bring a vehicle for cover and gently caress people up as they race the circle. it works most of the time

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Megasabin posted:

What is that effect even supposed to do?

Well in the deep canon of Battlegrounds your character suffers from a congenital eye defect.

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats

VulgarandStupid posted:

This is basically what you did to people and you should feel bad.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/134859354

I went straight back to the OC server and won another. Seems I just need to be more aggressive

Also don't feel bad at all the OC servers are full of American with lag

Raged fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 26, 2017

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Just got my first solo win after having my back to the blue for 5 straight minutes only to peek behind me on a whim and seeing the last dude's been there that entire time also completely unaware he was right behind me:

This was a p shenanigans round in general. I bailed out real early backwards for Primorsk and looted loving poo poo all. I then took a random spawn buggy all the way to the right side circle and decided to go up on the ledge behind the power plant on a whim, where I saw someone in a Dacia just parked up there. I rammed it hard and flipped it over and immediately uzi'd him down the instant he popped out. He had the M16 and AWM that I carried all the way through the rest, the 5 remaining kills I made in the last few 1km circles just acing people by constantly tweaking zeroing distance every shot. Those last 10 minutes were so intense.

Real good game

in retrospect I should have removed the 8x scope on the AWM for the last bits because aiming through it at a distance of 100m was all kinds of stupid

Futaba Anzu fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Apr 26, 2017

revolther
May 27, 2008

Futaba Anzu posted:

Just got my first solo win after having my back to the blue for 5 straight minutes only to peek behind me on a whim and seeing the last dude's been there that entire time also completely unaware he was right behind me:

This was a p shenanigans round in general. I bailed out real early backwards for Primorsk and looted loving poo poo all. I then took a random spawn buggy all the way to the right side circle and decided to go up on the ledge behind the power plant on a whim, where I saw someone in a Dacia just parked up there. I rammed it hard and flipped it over and immediately uzi'd him down the instant he popped out. He had the M16 and AWM that I carried all the way through the rest, the 5 remaining kills I made in the last few 1km circles just acing people by constantly tweaking zeroing distance every shot. Those last 10 minutes were so intense.

Real good game
Haha, that was my first time getting second place. I played it super slow dropping into waterworld but coming out with only a shotgun, but still got three kills playing the outside of the circle. Guy in a Dacia tried to run me down but I dove behind a tree he rammed into letting me dump right into the driverside window. Took the ride, chased down a motorcyclist who hopped off and tried to blast me only to be smooshed and ragdolled onto my dacia's trunk, then stalked the edge of the circle and coming across a guy down mountain from where we ended. Took his SKS but didn't get a chance to use it.

I'm colorblind as gently caress and always hate when it ends in the woods coz I can't pick out anyone coz of all the brown/green, was hoping that if i laid behind that tree free looking I'd be able to see a silhouette. congrats.

edit: my highlights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyhVqmlDBdw

revolther fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Apr 26, 2017

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.
Goddamn it. I had a sick black duster coat, level 3 everything, a ballistic mask, a tricked out m4 and a tricked out autoshotgun. I looked like the goddamn road warrior. Then I forgot what game I was playing and got off my motorcycle when it was going at full speed.

revolther
May 27, 2008

AnElegantPeacock posted:

Goddamn it. I had a sick black duster coat, level 3 everything, a ballistic mask, a tricked out m4 and a tricked out autoshotgun. I looked like the goddamn road warrior. Then I forgot what game I was playing and got off my motorcycle when it was going at full speed.
Did it end just like this?

revolther fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 26, 2017

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

Nah, I was gonna loot this house and I thought this was battlefield and jumped off my bike and died immediately.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
The Orange County servers seem horrible for lag. And I live in Washington state so I don't think there should be a problem.
Guess I'll go back to the North Atlantic Servers.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Just got killed by someone who appeared out of nowhere, looted all my items in an instant (box disappeared) then just vanished. The game had seemed perfectly stable sync-wise up until that point.

E: I also moved the game to my SSD after realizing the install is only 7.5Gb and it makes such a huge difference to my framerates for some reason.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Is there a known version of how much the map shrinks every zone? It looks like it's about 25% as large each time but I'm bad at geometry.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Few of my experiences today:

- had 30/60 ammo on my uzi. Started shooting someone, when suddenly all of my ammo disappeared. As in not run out, it all just vanished from the gun and my inventory.
- some guy popped behind a corner with a vector, there was no shooting sound (like even silenced), I just died instantly in micro seconds. Full health, l2 armor, l2 helmet.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Bardeh posted:

(box disappeared) then just vanished. The game had seemed perfectly stable sync-wise up until that point.

That's just what happens when you die in solo games.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Just got this. Pretty fun. Did better my first round that I'd have expected, placed top 8. Jump-punched a dude to death in the opening seconds and then used the M16 he found in the first building to kill 3 other people throughout the round. Only died because I drag rear end for too long in the electric gas and couldn't keep healing myself fast enough.

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
How does everyone play when their teammates go down in doubles / squad play? If we're not too far into the round I tend to drop most of my tactical habits and just play to entertain.

This has led to situations such as me incapacitating a guy, taking him hostage and saving my last shotgun round just to execute him in front of his friend. I also had a round last night where I road tripped around the countryside and discovered that people don't deal very well with someone charging at them in a Dacia with little regard for their own health.

Also, survived to the top 6 wearing a trenchcoat, ballistic mask and nothing else.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Shima Honnou posted:

Just got this. Pretty fun. Did better my first round that I'd have expected, placed top 8. Jump-punched a dude to death in the opening seconds and then used the M16 he found in the first building to kill 3 other people throughout the round. Only died because I drag rear end for too long in the electric gas and couldn't keep healing myself fast enough.

That kind of success is usually spread across six separate rounds for me so congrats on your meteoric ascent to the top 100.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Had some great rounds with Volleyballstud, Pissmop, and Fauxshiz last night. Highlights included an extended spree of Piracy and Boat-to-Boat combat that involved us killing 6 people in 3 separate boats, VBS getting divine intervention in the form of a favorable circle and winning a squad round with a well-placed double-barrel shotgun blast after running the rest of us over with a UAZ, and a bit of shotgun sodomy for poor old Pissmop.

Game is fun.

Also, it looks like your name is set at first login I guess? I tried to change mine to Playzone but it still shows my old one after changing my Steam name.

Akion fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 26, 2017

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
I found out last night that the M16 in burst mode is a murder machine up close.

My buddy and I were in a city far from where the plane went and looting ~100-150m apart and he suddenly hears someone. I hear gun shots and my buddy goes down. I peek outside my building and the guy who shot my partner's partner is running close by so I dome him right quick and then the other guy comes around the corner and I accidentally switched to burst mode and clicked like I would with single and basically mag dumped the dude in a second.

It barely even rises when you do that (it will, but if you're use it recoil it's really not bad). Too bad you can't put foregrips on it or I would never use another AR.

Edit: also they need to make grenades more 'bouncy'. I can't even bounce a nade around a corner, it just hits the corner and basically falls flat. Almost died (and my buddy did :cry:) cause I couldn't get a nade around the corner.

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Any reason to not spend all my good boy points on chests asap?

• Locked thread