Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Research - Engineering. newly habitable planets and resources will help military, industrial, and research applications more generally applicable to anything that can pop up.

Diplomacy: attempt to access space through Psilon space, we're on good terms with the cats already and I doubt neutrality is going to last forever so formal alliance, intelligence work because of COURSE everyone is going to spy on everyone. Information is power, and I'm sure our allies will appreciate the Human Republic being powerful enough to assist them.

Space Fleet: strategic core deployment since we just finished a war and things seem quiet. Let's grab some more space while people are so far on decent terms with us. Plus we've got a lot of space. If people attack us now, we have the planets and resources to rebuild and push them back, unlike when the Bears ambushed us.

Colonization: Saltator IV - let's get in on the core before the space Gold Rush starts.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Hey, an update! I'm always up for reading more of your stuff. Hope things are going better for you. I read through your Alpha Centauri LP about a week ago, and it was great fun. :)

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

So whats the cancer rate like on irradiated planets?

Edit: Oh wait a Formal Alliance will mean instant war with the Klackons huh. Well I guess we can toss some ships to help still while deploying the others to the Core.

How bad are the Myrrans losing?

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 24, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

They say that he who dies with the most Opil wins.

I am winning.

Artificer posted:

So whats the cancer rate like on irradiated planets?

Edit: Oh wait a Formal Alliance will mean instant war with the Klackons huh. Well I guess we can toss some ships to help still while deploying the others to the Core.

How bad are the Myrrans losing?

The cancer rate is not as bad as you might expect, largely because colonisation on irradiated planets involves digging full cities deep into the rock to protect the inhabitants from radiation exposure. Having cities as buried warrens brings its own problems, but excessive radiation exposure for those who aren't having to go to the surface for things requiring it is not one of them.

It's difficult to tell just how badly the Mrrshan are losing, as we don't exactly have observers in place to see how the battle lines fare. That said, it's fairly clear just from relative power ratings and economy sizes that the Mrrshan are struggling from a severe disadvantage. We can get alliance with the Mrrshan relatively cheaply- they'll want a bit of technology to bolster their position, and considering how they're currently dead last, this is hardly going to be too dangerous to us. On the other hand, even getting a non-aggression pact with the Psilons (which is necessary to start talking about open borders with them) will require us giving them Battloids and 72 TC a year for 20 years, which is... a hefty bite out of our economy.

A non-aggression pact with the Meklar Combine would cost us teaching them Moon Laboratory, which I actually think would be a very reasonable price for securing our driftward frontier against the Meklars deciding to try something and ensuring stronger relations with them in the future.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 24, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

nweismuller posted:

Freaking finally. That was just inexcusably long and I will try not to subject everybody to a wait like that again. Hopefully I haven't lost too many people due to the hiatus.

Nah, I'm just happy to see it back.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

nweismuller posted:

The cancer rate is not as bad as you might expect, largely because colonisation on irradiated planets involves digging full cities deep into the rock to protect the inhabitants from radiation exposure. Having cities as buried warrens brings its own problems, but excessive radiation exposure for those who aren't having to go to the surface for things requiring it is not one of them.

It's difficult to tell just how badly the Mrrshan are losing, as we don't exactly have observers in place to see how the battle lines fare. That said, it's fairly clear just from relative power ratings and economy sizes that the Mrrshan are struggling from a severe disadvantage. We can get alliance with the Mrrshan relatively cheaply- they'll want a bit of technology to bolster their position, and considering how they're currently dead last, this is hardly going to be too dangerous to us. On the other hand, even getting a non-aggression pact with the Psilons (which is necessary to start talking about open borders with them) will require us giving them Battloids and 72 TC a year for 20 years, which is... a hefty bite out of our economy.

A non-aggression pact with the Meklar Combine would cost us teaching them Moon Laboratory, which I actually think would be a very reasonable price for securing our driftward frontier against the Meklars deciding to try something and ensuring stronger relations with them in the future.

Well the Psilons can come slowly. No rush on that front.

It seems impolite to let our trade partners wither and die, which the Mrrshans probably literally will if they get taken over. I'm going to stick with my vote. At best we'll have a steadfast ally and trade partner. At worse, a buffer state.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Bulrathi military stations at their borders: bearicades. :D

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

nweismuller posted:

Freaking finally. That was just inexcusably long and I will try not to subject everybody to a wait like that again. Hopefully I haven't lost too many people due to the hiatus.

Although I submitted my second MoO2 LP for archival, there's some ambiguity by baldurk on how exactly to handle this, because this is the first time the Archive has had two LPs by the same author for the same game, which requires figuring out how to distinguish between them on the index. I'll keep people posted as to when he figures out how he wants to handle this.

I'd include the race being played (human vs Narestan (custom Psilon)), probably. Anything else would require delving into the LP for further information, I think.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I actually just got the response this evening; he figured out how he wanted to do it, and the LP should be queued up for getting on the official site. I'll definitely post a notification when it's up.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay! This is bad! Final victory against the Bears has been accomplished and the gradual assimilation process of them in the coming decades shall hopefully allow for a peaceful cohabitation and thier full membership within the Republic.

Economic and industrialization should continue, and our efforts on rebuilding infrastructure in annexed regions should be prioritized. Colonial efforts should be prioritized at more habitable worlds that can be used to help expand, however I'll defer to the High Council on priority targets.

Gravitational Physics would be useful as our next research target. That will allow us to take large scale masses in space to render them habitable - in the long term, this will allow us to make our own planets that with terraforming can be populated, which over the centuries will be the solution to any future overpopulation issues and allow expansion via internal colonizing rather than risk agggressive actions at other major extragalactic powres as we can shift population to planets within our own space.

Militarily we should put our fleet in strategic locations internally. It's unlikely that another major war will spring out of nowhere given our economic and research strength, and not placing major fleet elements at border stations will avoid anything that might gie other stellar empires the impression we are massing for a preemptive assault. while at the same time Jump Gates at strategic locations will allow quick redeployment to any futuer threatened sectors. Also this will hopefully enable us to have the majority of our fleet upgraded to the latest technology relatively simply spread throughout systems. Also border defense stations should be constructed if only to ensure that we have speed bumps in place for an unexpected act of aggression.

Diplomatically? Speak softly and carry a big stick. Ensure our planets have counter-intelligence available, if necessary have passive infiltration networks in other major galactic powers while remembering eveyrone spies, and treat any brutal acts against us as acts of war justification. For those who will trade with us, do so, but do not engage ni aggressive acts wtihout justification. Open trade should be encouraged and exchange wtih those willing pending major acst of aggression - so long as we maintain a strong front I find it doubtful anyone would truly try and attack us. I would prefer to avoid full military alliances without necessity and justification provoked under acts of aggression -we want peace and trade, we don't want to be obligated to go to war with someone that could make for good neighbors, and we want to honor our obligations otherwise.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

wedgekree posted:

Diplomatically? Speak softly and carry a big stick. Ensure our planets have counter-intelligence available, if necessary have passive infiltration networks in other major galactic powers while remembering eveyrone spies, and treat any brutal acts against us as acts of war justification. For those who will trade with us, do so, but do not engage ni aggressive acts wtihout justification. Open trade should be encouraged and exchange wtih those willing pending major acst of aggression - so long as we maintain a strong front I find it doubtful anyone would truly try and attack us. I would prefer to avoid full military alliances without necessity and justification provoked under acts of aggression -we want peace and trade, we don't want to be obligated to go to war with someone that could make for good neighbors, and we want to honor our obligations otherwise.

Would you favor concluding a non-aggression agreement with the Meklar Combine as things stand? The price, to remind you, is us transferring the Moon Laboratory technology we got from the Mrrshan to them.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nweismuller posted:

Would you favor concluding a non-aggression agreement with the Meklar Combine as things stand? The price, to remind you, is us transferring the Moon Laboratory technology we got from the Mrrshan to them.

Dunno about wedgekree, but I for one have no problem giving the Meks moontech. By the looks of it, we'll be expanding through the Klackon anyway once we buddy up to the Mrrshan :unsmigghh:

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

nweismuller posted:

I am not in favor of giving them the tech. We can always re-propose later when we're on better standing and fortify the border. But I don't want to gie htem a major research leg up when our advantage atm is technological.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

wedgekree posted:

I am not in favor of giving them the tech. We can always re-propose later when we're on better standing and fortify the border. But I don't want to gie htem a major research leg up when our advantage atm is technological.

But they will not catch up at this point barring a Black Swan Event at which point we're probably already in deep poo poo. Your choice though.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Artificer posted:

But they will not catch up at this point barring a Black Swan Event at which point we're probably already in deep poo poo. Your choice though.

In that case, changing my vote. Approve on giving them the tech in return for a Non-Aggression pact.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

wedgekree posted:

In that case, changing my vote. Approve on giving them the tech in return for a Non-Aggression pact.

I'm dumb. I don't know the state of the Meklar technology. I thought it was referring to the Myyrshans.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Artificer posted:

I'm dumb. I don't know the state of the Meklar technology. I thought it was referring to the Myyrshans.

Ahh, no problem *laugh* But the Meklar I think have an industrial base on par/superior to the Human Republic so if they get on par with us with tech they can probably make things more. So if they get an advantage they can bring it more to bear on us.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I was an idiot and accidentally put a second copy of the Revenant refit image in place of the rankings screen I meant to put in the update. Actual intended image added; it is probably worth looking at for assessing our astropolitical situation.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

nweismuller posted:

With the methods we have for gene editing today (restriction enzymes, viral vectors, Crispr) you'd think ~620 years in the future humans would have cancer on lockdown. If you'd like to make an fictional lore effort post about human longevity I can give you some sources or pointers. I'm sure many of us could.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

BREAKING NEWS
With the increased power of the ocean-cooled servers, the disembodied head-in-a-jar of Chris Metzen has announced that Blizzard Entertainment will use this new technology to empower the 218th expansion of World of Warcraft, POWER OF THE VOID tm

With over 3 billion players in the Republic alone, World of Warcraft continues to be he premiere MMO game in the known galaxy, and with this new expansion, Blizzard entertainment plans to expand the playerbase to the Mrrshan, Meklar and Psylon markets.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

3 billion seems piddly now.

Strategic Sage
Jan 22, 2017

And that's the way it is...

nweismuller posted:

Your comments are well-taken but stuff happens -- and the quality here is quite good. People who do fine work are always given more latitude :).

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Does seeing the actual rankings change anybody's assessment of things, incidentally?

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Rick_Hunter posted:

With the methods we have for gene editing today (restriction enzymes, viral vectors, Crispr) you'd think ~620 years in the future humans would have cancer on lockdown. If you'd like to make an fictional lore effort post about human longevity I can give you some sources or pointers. I'm sure many of us could.

Regardless of what treatments are available for cancer in the modern Republic- establishing a colony on the surface of a planet that recieves lethal radiation doses is non-optimal, even if you can build radiation shielding into your sealed habitats. Do bear in mind that radiated and toxic planets are even less welcoming than barren planets, and barren planets are lifeless rocks that require fully-sealed habitats for colonies.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

nweismuller posted:

Regardless of what treatments are available for cancer in the modern Republic- establishing a colony on the surface of a planet that recieves lethal radiation doses is non-optimal, even if you can build radiation shielding into your sealed habitats. Do bear in mind that radiated and toxic planets are even less welcoming than barren planets, and barren planets are lifeless rocks that require fully-sealed habitats for colonies.

Yeah, sounds like the sort of thing you'd only bother with if there's something non-life related that's valuable on the planet, such as minerals. Oh perhaps some it's strategically located or something.

Still can't wait to see you colonise Orion.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
I have just gone through the thread and updated the Supplemental Updates index. I had let it fall very much out of date, but much more material should now be linked from the OP. If you think I missed something that should be in the index, let me know, and I'll see about sticking it in- I skipped most of the ship design contests, but if people think those should be listed...

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 25, 2017

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
I haven't gotten very far in myself yet (whole stack of shiny games distracted me), but how godlike is the upper tier of terraforming in this game? I recall in 2 and 3 you could (with several steps) eventually turn gas giants into massive Gaia-class planets...

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
Start an Alliance with the Mrrshan, bribe them with catnip if we have to!

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

kaosdrachen posted:

I haven't gotten very far in myself yet (whole stack of shiny games distracted me), but how godlike is the upper tier of terraforming in this game? I recall in 2 and 3 you could (with several steps) eventually turn gas giants into massive Gaia-class planets...

We do not currently have the technology to terraform to Gaia- our current capabilities allow us to (eventually) improve any solid planet type but Volcanic as far up as Terran. You need radiation shielding to start terraforming Radiated worlds, and a Toxic Processor to start terraforming Toxic worlds. We haven't really achieved any real terraforming yet, and still have room to colonise, so construction of artificial planets is a fairly long-term investment.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Huh. The game would already be over if we were playing for score? It seems like we've barely done anything yet.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

Glazius posted:

Huh. The game would already be over if we were playing for score? It seems like we've barely done anything yet.

Yeah, the default time limit is far too low for the settings I like to play with (pre-warp start and the 'Heroic' game pace, which reduces the rate of population growth and research somewhat compared to the default 'Classic' pace). And score victories are fairly unsatisfying anyhow.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

New patch is out for MoO btw... it breaks custom race usage.

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.

AtomikKrab posted:

New patch is out for MoO btw... it breaks custom race usage.

How so? I haven't been patching the game for some time, because of issues when they updated the pollution mechanics. After all, I want to complete my LP.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 26, 2017

nweismuller
Oct 11, 2012

I am winning.
Wedgekree- granted the desire to trade with everybody we can manage, I believe a non-aggression pact with the Meklar Combine would support that. We've fairly badly alienated the Klackons by now, but the Darloks are still at least marginally friendly. A non-aggression pact with the Meklar Combine would stabilise relations with the Combine enough so that we might avoid burning our relations to the ground by trade with the Darlok Administration. I'm not sure our relations with the Klackons are salvageable, but so it goes. Alternately, we could stick with our current trade partners, which is currently a very stable arrangement, and hope we can eventually find the Sacred Kingdom of the Alkari.

Everybody in general- I would appreciate clarification of intended policy direction towards the Meklar Combine and Darlok Administration. Options I can see:

a) Status quo. Trade with the Combine, distant relations with the Darlok Administration, no efforts to actively strengthen relations.
b) Seek a non-aggression pact with the Combine, while continuing to remain distant to the Darlok Administration.
c) Seek trade impartially with both.
d) Seek a non-aggression pact with the Combine, and use the breathing room thus generated to seek trade with the Darlok Administration.
e) Actively attempt to strengthen relations with both powers to make trade with both more stable, despite the cost of strengthening relations.
f) Attempt to solidify an alliance with the Combine in hopes of neutralising the Darlok Administration in the medium to long term.

nweismuller fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Apr 26, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
f

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
e

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
D. We value peace and trade, but we should be pragmatic. If those who would be adversaries approach us, we will deal with them honestly - but also we should not pursue peace at all costs and pay the costs of it.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

nweismuller posted:

How so? I haven't been patching the game for some time, because of issues when they updated the pollution mechanics. After all, I want to complete my LP.

a lot of traits are nonfunctional for custom races. creative as an example, base psilon is fine but a custom race trying to use creative will not get all tech options anymore. other perks broke as well.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
D seems pragmatic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

F

I do not now, nor will I ever, trust the Darloks. (It's not racism when they really are shapeshifting super-spies).

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 26, 2017

• Locked thread