Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

FizFashizzle posted:

Food in the United States is basically free on a caloric level and we could feed the nation twice over with just what we throw away. However, SNAP is administered by the state, so its vulnerable to all the cruel, pointless shittery that republicans are notorious for. Stuff like not being able to buy hot food with them, or counting child support as income and therefore disqualifying people.

SNAP is an insanely effective program, and it just needs to be fully federalized. The USDA releases guidelines, but of course the states can gently caress with them. Basically food stamps should work like this.

1. No one starves in the United State. Period, end of story.

2. Every child eats until they're eighteen. This is basically a two pronged attack.

a. First of all you increase the SNAP subsidies. Right now the monthly subsidy for a family of four is 648 dollars a month. So at 130% of the poverty level, you're going to need to feed your family on 21 dollars a day. That cruelty, and this is a subsidy. No father or mother is going to be able to go to school to learn a trade or whatever if they can't quit their wal mart job because at the end of the day your primary concern is going to be literally putting food into your child's mouth.

b. Every kid eats at school. I don't care what it costs. In 2012 it costs like 12 billion dollars. You just paint it as a national security issue. The original food program came about because the Army didn't have enough people that could survive basic. Even in the SEC, coaches recruit kids not knowing how big they'll get when they get actual honest to god nutrition. You can't learn if you're hungry, and no kid is going to admit to it.

Pretend I posted a big list of papers that back up that kids that don't get proper nutrition turn into hosed adults, but I'm getting ready for work right now.

Now my republican opponent A Neat Cape over here will tell you that if we feed their children, then parents will have no incentive to get that better job. They'll just be mooches on the system until the end of time. But I ask you, Ross, do you think people are proud of that? Do you think people want this situation? Or do you think they feel trapped.

Tell you what Ross, how about you come down to wal mart in Kennesaw, Ga. Leave your palatial estate in Southern California. We're gonna show up there at 11:50 on a Saturday night, because EBT benefits kick in at midnight. And you can see all the people that are just so alright with getting government assistance. We can watch them laugh all the way to the bank as they take all their kids to wal mart because they can't afford a babysitter. Or entire families that show up to do their weekly shopping because they only have one car, and they won't be able to go shopping again this week.

You watch that ross and you tell me these people are happy to be where they are.

God drat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Btw guys ross is cool and good

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Mel Mudkiper posted:

It wasn't a burn?

Who remembers, I'm not curator of the burn library.

Which I assume would be a rad job to have, come to think of it.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

FizFashizzle posted:

Btw guys ross is cool and good

Yeah I am not sure what Logan was going on about

I am pro-Ross

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

PYF Ross

Forums Ross
Ross Perot

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ross from Friends?

Forums Ross is for sure number one but I run out of Rosses real quick.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
legit surprised you didn't mention the owner of the dolphins

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
My favorite Ross is Jim Ross

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Ehud posted:

PYF Ross

Forums Ross
Ross Perot

Ross Perot fit easily in an overhead bin.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Eli Wiggum posted:

legit surprised you didn't mention the owner of the dolphins

IT HAS TO BE ROSS AS A FIRST NAME

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Ehud posted:

PYF Ross

Forums Ross
Ross Perot

Fanfiction.net Ross

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ross Bagdasarian, Sr., creator of Alvin and the Chipmunks

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Ross from you can't do that on television

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Ross from Friends?

Second.

They WERE on a break!

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Ross, dress for less®

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

MrLogan posted:

Who would have thought that the 30 year old who's parents still pay his rent and who's crippling social anxiety makes it so he never wants to be more than 10 miles from his birthplace would have weird political views???

Have you got something against crippling social anxiety? Cuz if so, we're going to have words.

Actually we won't, because the thought of human contact makes me nervous.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
RIP Johnathan Demme. Should give The Silence of the Lambs another watch tonight.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Blitz7x posted:

Ross, dress for less®

My man

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Food in the United States is basically free on a caloric level and we could feed the nation twice over with just what we throw away. However, SNAP is administered by the state, so its vulnerable to all the cruel, pointless shittery that republicans are notorious for. Stuff like not being able to buy hot food with them, or counting child support as income and therefore disqualifying people.

SNAP is an insanely effective program, and it just needs to be fully federalized. The USDA releases guidelines, but of course the states can gently caress with them. Basically food stamps should work like this.

1. No one starves in the United State. Period, end of story.

2. Every child eats until they're eighteen. This is basically a two pronged attack.

a. First of all you increase the SNAP subsidies. Right now the monthly subsidy for a family of four is 648 dollars a month. So at 130% of the poverty level, you're going to need to feed your family on 21 dollars a day. That cruelty, and this is a subsidy. No father or mother is going to be able to go to school to learn a trade or whatever if they can't quit their wal mart job because at the end of the day your primary concern is going to be literally putting food into your child's mouth.

b. Every kid eats at school. I don't care what it costs. In 2012 it costs like 12 billion dollars. You just paint it as a national security issue. The original food program came about because the Army didn't have enough people that could survive basic. Even in the SEC, coaches recruit kids not knowing how big they'll get when they get actual honest to god nutrition. You can't learn if you're hungry, and no kid is going to admit to it.

Pretend I posted a big list of papers that back up that kids that don't get proper nutrition turn into hosed adults, but I'm getting ready for work right now.

Now my republican opponent A Neat Cape over here will tell you that if we feed their children, then parents will have no incentive to get that better job. They'll just be mooches on the system until the end of time. But I ask you, Ross, do you think people are proud of that? Do you think people want this situation? Or do you think they feel trapped.

Tell you what Ross, how about you come down to wal mart in Kennesaw, Ga. Leave your palatial estate in Southern California. We're gonna show up there at 11:50 on a Saturday night, because EBT benefits kick in at midnight. And you can see all the people that are just so alright with getting government assistance. We can watch them laugh all the way to the bank as they take all their kids to wal mart because they can't afford a babysitter. Or entire families that show up to do their weekly shopping because they only have one car, and they won't be able to go shopping again this week.

You watch that ross and you tell me these people are happy to be where they are.

Good poo poo, this is the good poo poo

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
good morning guys what's going o--

:stare:

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Lots of people making sure Ross doesn't kill himself.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
GODDAMNIT ROSS

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Ross PIVOT. PIVVVVOT

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
If anybody is serious about getting into local politics I strongly recommend starting with School Boards. The seats are usually less competitive because they suck balls. Everyone is mad at them, there'soften no/minimal compensation, and the seats require long hours of community meetings. But it's an important job, builds good skills, and is an excellent foundation for future office.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

If anybody is serious about getting into local politics I strongly recommend starting with School Boards. The seats are usually less competitive because they suck balls. Everyone is mad at them, there'soften no/minimal compensation, and the seats require long hours of community meetings. But it's an important job, builds good skills, and is an excellent foundation for future office.

Nah

I'm going to work as a PA for like 16 months so I have healthcare cred then charm my way in with my rogueish good looks and casual profanity.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
If I used PA's I would totally hire Fiz (and make him post for me while I am working).

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Posting Assistant, duh.

What did you guys think I was talking about going back to school for?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

FizFashizzle posted:

Posting Assistant, duh.

What did you guys think I was talking about going back to school for?

Law was my first thought

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

a neat cape posted:

Law was my first thought

Fiz isn't that dumb.

Related:

quote:

You will never have a moment like the ones on television, you will not change the world with your argument, you will never appear before the Supreme Court of the United States. You will not enjoy practicing law, it will not bring you fame, and it will not make you rich.
http://www.lawyersandliquor.com/2017/04/so-you-want-to-be-a-lawyer-part-2-youll-disappoint-my-dad-and-be-poor/

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Please don't. School boards should be filled with people who actually know something about education and not people looking for a springboard to a better elected position.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

no jobs. die alone

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

ulmont posted:

Fiz isn't that dumb.

It would explain the indepth knowledge of what SNAP recipients get.

FizFashizzle posted:

no jobs. die alone

More evidence for that law degree. Real good writeup on SNAP btw. It's amazingly hosed reading about how some districts treat kids who can't pay for school lunches as a side note!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

well trump just pulled out of nafta so we're all going to starve anyway

say goodbye to guacamole, white people

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The #Resist movement will be struck a mortal blow when Panera loses the Turkey Avocado BLT

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

FizFashizzle posted:

well trump just pulled out of nafta so we're all going to starve anyway

say goodbye to guacamole, white people

Nobody who voted for Trump has ever eaten an avocado anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

trump has not pulled out of nafta.

He's slapped a tariff on canadian lumber, but that's been done before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/business/trump-trudeau-canada-trade-lumber-dairy.html

My wife's dad is a pot-smoking libertarian who bought me a subscription to Reason magazine as a christmas present. We have to carefully avoid discussing politics with him because he genuinely believes all the worst bootstrap poo poo, like 90% of everyone on food stamps is cheating the system to buy booze and lottery tickets, and giving any assistance to the poor just makes them lazy, all that poo poo. It's the worst, becuase he's actually a really nice guy who is fun to hang out with but he's kind of isolated from the real world and watches too much fox news and there's no arguing with him.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Whoa, ESPN let Kannell go

https://twitter.com/dannykanell/status/857274506368483330

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Ahahaha

God drat that radio show turned from my favorite to unlistenable once Kannell got involved

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Wow, that is actually a pretty big name. I am hoping the Morning Roast crew gets his slot, I have been enjoying them lately.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

trump has not pulled out of nafta.

He's slapped a tariff on canadian lumber, but that's been done before.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/25/business/trump-trudeau-canada-trade-lumber-dairy.html

My wife's dad is a pot-smoking libertarian who bought me a subscription to Reason magazine as a christmas present. We have to carefully avoid discussing politics with him because he genuinely believes all the worst bootstrap poo poo, like 90% of everyone on food stamps is cheating the system to buy booze and lottery tickets, and giving any assistance to the poor just makes them lazy, all that poo poo. It's the worst, becuase he's actually a really nice guy who is fun to hang out with but he's kind of isolated from the real world and watches too much fox news and there's no arguing with him.

https://twitter.com/tarapalmeri/status/857257106227027968

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

:owned:

e: with regards to Fiz's food stamps post, I disagree with the no ice cream part. It's bad to me to keep poor people from having a treat just because they're poor.

• Locked thread