Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I didn't even realize BPRD Hell on Earth ended. Is anything planned afterwards or is it just going to basically merge with Abe Sapien?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

GrandpaPants posted:

I didn't even realize BPRD Hell on Earth ended. Is anything planned afterwards or is it just going to basically merge with Abe Sapien?

Abe Sapien also ended.

There's​ a new BPRD ongoing starting this summer I think.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
Does anyone else think the art quality in Copperhead really took a dive?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Well, it's a replacement artist from the first 10 issues, right?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I can't believe I waited this long to read Grandville. As a massive Blacksad fan this is really making the wait for tome 6 bearable. And Grandville itself has 5 volumes to savour :3:

What else by Bryan Talbot is good? I remember not really being able to get into Luther Arkwright but that was 12 or more years ago

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Chairman Capone posted:

Well, it's a replacement artist from the first 10 issues, right?

Yeah. Drew Moss took over. Not really digging his work.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Curse Words is still the coolest comic out there. Great issue this week. Redneck appears to be selling well, it's got a neat look, but I haven't read beyond that preview they posted a little ways back. Probably gonna have to grab a second printing if you haven't picked it up/reserved it already. Got my copy of the Eleanor & the Egret #1 in this week, too, and I adored everything about it. Quirky art, interesting characters, and some general weirdness.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Caught up on Motor Crush. I've got to say though, #5? Time skips are one of my least favourite plot devices.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Red Neck and World Reader are definitely going on the pull list.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I saw a new comic yesterday that looks cool: Spencer and Locke.

The premise is "What if Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes grew up and became a hardboiled detective?"

There's little flashback scenes in the comic that actually mimic the Calvin & Hobbes look too, which is cute.

Gonna wait for the trade though.

Mr. Glum
Jul 28, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I saw a new comic yesterday that looks cool: Spencer and Locke.

The premise is "What if Calvin from Calvin and Hobbes grew up and became a hardboiled detective?"

There's little flashback scenes in the comic that actually mimic the Calvin & Hobbes look too, which is cute.

Gonna wait for the trade though.

I wonder if they read Brubaker and Phillips' take on Archie in Criminal: The Last of the Innocent and thought, "What else can I do with this?"
Can't comment on the quality of this though, just the vibe I get.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Roth posted:

Red Neck and World Reader are definitely going on the pull list.

Yeah World Reader rules. Definitely going to be picking that up from now on.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Goldie Vance is moving from singles to OGNs after #12.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/04/23/goldie-vance-13-cancelled-series-moves-original-graphic-novels/

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

I can't believe I waited this long to read Grandville. As a massive Blacksad fan this is really making the wait for tome 6 bearable. And Grandville itself has 5 volumes to savour :3:

What else by Bryan Talbot is good? I remember not really being able to get into Luther Arkwright but that was 12 or more years ago

Nemesis the Warlock: The Gothic Empire (he's "only" the artist though)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

How is Phonogram for someone who has like, no history with British pop music? I mean I don't even know the Beatles songs to any degree of familiarity.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Use the comic to get into the music :)

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

GrandpaPants posted:

How is Phonogram for someone who has like, no history with British pop music? I mean I don't even know the Beatles songs to any degree of familiarity.

It's amazing, but can be pretty dense with the references in the first volume. None of it should make it impossible to understand the story, for the most part though (though there's one part in the first volume that's confusing even with a thorough understanding of 90s britpop).Gillen himself suggests that new readers start with volume 2, which is probably a good idea. It's all great, IMO, but then again I'm probably exactly the target audience. There is also a handy glossary in each volume.

It's also great to see the evolution of Gillen and McKelvies work together through volumes 1-3. I'm pretty pumped to buy the complete edition and see volume 1 in colour.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So thanks to this forum (maybe this thread) I picked up the Hellboy library edition Volume 1. I liked it, but the second story, Wake the Devil, referenced a story that's in volume 2, The Chained Coffin. I looked on Wikipedia and around, and everything still says that Volume 1 is the first two trades. Did the trades come out in a different order than the release order?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

Use the comic to get into the music :)

This was me.

It's a good story, anyway, just the references will be way over your head.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

IUG posted:

So thanks to this forum (maybe this thread) I picked up the Hellboy library edition Volume 1. I liked it, but the second story, Wake the Devil, referenced a story that's in volume 2, The Chained Coffin. I looked on Wikipedia and around, and everything still says that Volume 1 is the first two trades. Did the trades come out in a different order than the release order?

Some of the backup/one-off stories aren't presented in chronological order in the trades. The reading order is a bit complicated and I remember finding that confusing as well.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Chained Coffin was in Dark Horse Presents #100 which came out in 1995, Wake the Devil was published in 96.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Woah poo poo Stokoe is doing an Aliens book? Is it as good as I hope it is?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

krakagar posted:

It's amazing, but can be pretty dense with the references in the first volume. None of it should make it impossible to understand the story, for the most part though (though there's one part in the first volume that's confusing even with a thorough understanding of 90s britpop).Gillen himself suggests that new readers start with volume 2, which is probably a good idea. It's all great, IMO, but then again I'm probably exactly the target audience. There is also a handy glossary in each volume.

It's also great to see the evolution of Gillen and McKelvies work together through volumes 1-3. I'm pretty pumped to buy the complete edition and see volume 1 in colour.

Wait, they went back and colored volume 1? I'm unsure if this is a good or bad thing. Still putting it on my 'to buy' list.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I got the first hardcover book of Saga digitally a while ago and enjoyed it although I didn't then start buying issues or trades. I saw ComiXology released the second 'book' today but I have heard it gets to the point it seems to just be weird for the sake of it and generally took a nose dive, is the second book worth getting?

Kwyndig posted:

Wait, they went back and colored volume 1? I'm unsure if this is a good or bad thing. Still putting it on my 'to buy' list.

I owned all three volumes and got it on sale at ComiXology for £20, don't regret it. One thing I'd say is the colours are a lot more subdued than they did in The Wicked and the Divine or Young Avengers, but it's still nice.

Anime_Otaku fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 26, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

I got the first hardcover book of Saga digitally a while ago and enjoyed it although I didn't then start buying issues or trades. I saw ComiXology released the second 'book' today but I have heard it gets to the point it seems to just be weird for the sake of it and generally took a nose dive, is the second book worth getting?

Yeah it's good, and imo it actually is very good the whole time. At least through #30, that's as far as I've read.

zoux fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 26, 2017

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Anime_Otaku posted:

It went through a bit of a lull but I wouldn't call it a nosedive, and the most recent arc was good. If you liked the first one I'd pick it up.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

IUG posted:

There are a handful of shorter stories that came out in between Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil that are collected in the third tpb, The Chained Coffin and Other Stories, which collects only shorter bits (short stories and one-offs) rather than a single mini-series like Seed or Wake. The reason for that is that some of the other short stuff collected in vol 3 definitely takes places after Wake. It shouldn't throw you off too badly, as Hellboy's story has been told non-chronologically from its earliest days. You'll pick up everything you need to know.

This will happen again a few times, as there are several other tpbs that collect shorter bits, like The Right Hand of Doom, The Troll Witch, and The Crooked Man.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, I'll probably press on with the series in the Library editions. It was just odd to see it say it was the first two trades, but then see the trades were also not released in published order. I found a better guide on Wikipedia, and it seems like the library editions cover almost everything.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellboy#Issues

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

How much is Hellboy matching up with what you thought it would be?

I saw half of the (terrible) movie before I knew anything about the comics so I was pretty soured on HB before I picked it up. I figured it would be a standard occult procedural with wisecracking Big Red and the team solving mysteries so I didn't have high expectations for it going in. That it turned out to be a thoughtful, beautiful exploration of folk mythology and HB turned out to be an introspective, laconic protagonist was a great surprise, and since then it's become probably my favorite comic series ever. One of my favorite books is Declare by Tim Powers, it's a mix of a Le Carre style cold war spy novel but with occult Nazi and Lovecraftian supernatural elements. I love the setting and style and searched long and hard for similar books, but they are few and far between and not nearly as good as Declare. Hellboy ( and Fatale incidentally) is/are the only works I've found that are blend those WWII/spy elements and cool occult elements and I love them. Fatale trades the spy fiction for noir fiction but there's just something about that blend of mid-20th century setting and shadowy, hidden ancient occult mysteries that I just love.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So far I liked it, but maybe not as much as I thought I would. I guess I was expecting it to be more humorous and less like paranormal Batman (I don't read Frank Miller, but this is close to what I think it was before he went 9/11 crazy). My only exposure to the extended universe was watching Amazing Screw-On Head back when they were pushing it for a pilot show. My expectations for humor were up because I did see both movies, and I see panels posted on these forums. I think the one that made me go ahead and buy it was the sequence where Hellboy eats pancakes, and people in hell are in anguish over Hellboy's joy.

I'm going to continue on because I did enjoy it, and the art style, and I figured that maybe the first few issues weren't indicative of the format of the series later. Plus, I'm interested in the world it's creating. The spinoffs might be fun to see how this world comes together.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Redneck is selling out, it would seem. Tried to snag a copy today.

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Animal-Mother posted:

Redneck is selling out, it would seem. Tried to snag a copy today.

They've already announced a second printing, but I don't think that releases until issue #2 is gonna hit the stands, so 19ish days?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

IUG posted:

So far I liked it, but maybe not as much as I thought I would. I guess I was expecting it to be more humorous and less like paranormal Batman (I don't read Frank Miller, but this is close to what I think it was before he went 9/11 crazy). My only exposure to the extended universe was watching Amazing Screw-On Head back when they were pushing it for a pilot show. My expectations for humor were up because I did see both movies, and I see panels posted on these forums. I think the one that made me go ahead and buy it was the sequence where Hellboy eats pancakes, and people in hell are in anguish over Hellboy's joy.

I'm going to continue on because I did enjoy it, and the art style, and I figured that maybe the first few issues weren't indicative of the format of the series later. Plus, I'm interested in the world it's creating. The spinoffs might be fun to see how this world comes together.

The best time to start with the spin offs is after Conqueror Worm. That story also introduces an important character that is fucken awesome.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Woah poo poo Stokoe is doing an Aliens book? Is it as good as I hope it is?

I just read the first issue and yeah it's predictably fantastic.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just read the first issue and yeah it's predictably fantastic.

How has he not figured out someone to help him finish Orc Stain, or start Murderbullets?!?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

As far as Alien stories go it's paint by the numbers. "Oh hey a derelict ship I'm sure it's nothing at all."

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Cerepol posted:

How has he not figured out someone to help him finish Orc Stain, or start Murderbullets?!?

Orc Stain doesnt sell enough issues to warrant working on it now. Starving comic artists need that sweet sweet movie franchise cash.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I imagine I wouldn't be too upset about doing work for hire gigs over my own stuff if it was Godzilla and Aliens.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 2, 2017

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Give him a Jar Jar mini-series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dammit. I did not go into the issue figuring that #12 would be the last issue of Joyride. What a bummer.