Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I did not know this existed... Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If you want an accurate set it and forget it setup that's relatively cheap, a Weber Smoky Mountain with a BBQ Guru is the way to go imo.
Got this. It owns but I wish I had the 22" model as briskets don't fit all that well on the 18". I think I'm going either buy a green mountain grills pellet smoker with wifi controller or possibly DIY a wifi pellet smoker as I want to be even more lazy with my meat smoking.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well my laptop decided now was the time to take a full on poo poo. I guess I put off replacing it for too long.
Thinking of grabbing this as a short term solution, thoughts?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/458851/Latitude_E6420_Windows_7_Professional_14_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Black

Or I grab this one and toss the 128SSD I have sitting here in it and save myself $40.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/444702/Latitude_E6420_Windows_7_Professional_14_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Black

Or should I go with an HP Elitebook?
http://www.microcenter.com/product/444311/EliteBook_8460P_140_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Silver

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Apr 26, 2017

blk
Dec 19, 2009
New ride

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

blk posted:

New ride

27.5 Niiiiiice

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

Looking way too clean though, go out and get it dirty.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

slurry_curry posted:

Also, that led me into looking at 2.3T swaps, which apparently pretty much bolt right in....
There's a guy on craigslist semi local with several 2.3 engines, turbos, ecus and everything else. I already have a 2.3 in mine so it would be even easier. So far I'm resisting and telling myself I don't need another project but he keeps dropping his price... I mean I've always wanted to mess around with turbos and what better way than on an old truck with questionable brakes (at least I have rotors in front)

blk posted:

New ride

Go take it off some sweet jumps

Well it's official, we're doing a quick courthouse wedding then a small (<25) dinner celebration instead of doing the whole crazy wedding thing. It just kept getting bigger every step of the way. Will save a lot of money and should be a lot less stressful.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

NitroSpazzz posted:

Well it's official, we're doing a quick courthouse wedding then a small (<25) dinner celebration instead of doing the whole crazy wedding thing. It just kept getting bigger every step of the way. Will save a lot of money and should be a lot less stressful.

One of the smartest ideas I've heard.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

blk posted:

New ride

Looks good, what's with that rear shock design? Looks like the body is extended so the upper mount is on the side, rather than the end of it?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

blk posted:

New ride

Now it just needs a motor.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

NitroSpazzz posted:

You will never regret this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

NitroSpazzz posted:

This is the best way to do this. Financial security at the beginning of a marriage goes a long way to maintaining a happy marriage.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

NitroSpazzz posted:

You made the right choice.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
nthing the right wedding choice. 100+ guests/5+ digit pricetag weddings are rarely a good idea for the couple.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wise man

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Seems like a lot of people wish they would have gone this route. A lot of friends (hers and mine) are popping out of no where saying we're making such a good decision on this. I honestly thought it would be more difficult getting her to go with this idea but we had joked about it early in the relationship. When the wedding went from ~50 close friends to requiring 150 to even reserve the space everything just started getting out of hand quick. Her Dad isn't thrilled about the idea but all the other parents, family and grandparents are. I'm actually really looking forward to it now instead of just trying to figure out how much money its going to cost.

We're looking at under 2.5k (still getting a photographer, nice dinner spot, awesome invites, etc) compared to what was quickly approaching 10k and would have likely blown past it. That leaves a lot of money left over for the honeymoon, future trips and the fence we need to get started on.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

That is exactly what my wife and I did. Our wedding planner was also a wedding officiant. She reserved the gazebo in the Charleston Battery Park, married us in front of about 20 of our closest friends and family, then we went and had a lovely dinner, then drinks on a rooftop bar. Then we left for a cruise the next day for our honeymoon. It was an extremely wise decision and one I will never ever regret. Good on you for doing that.

As far as anyone else not being happy about your plans...gently caress that, and gently caress them. They're not the ones getting married, and it's not about them. Tough titty. You do you.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Her Dad isn't thrilled about the idea but all the other parents, family and grandparents are. I'm actually really looking forward to it now instead of just trying to figure out how much money its going to cost.

Unless you're pocketing a giant check from him that was supposed to go towards paying for an overdone wedding, gently caress that. Your wedding, your call.

I have never, ever heard anyone say they wish they went bigger.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Only reason the wife and I had the 100 person $20000 wedding is because those who wanted it paid for it. I argued that we would be better off with just the money but there we go.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

NitroSpazzz posted:

We're looking at under 2.5k (still getting a photographer, nice dinner spot, awesome invites, etc) compared to what was quickly approaching 10k and would have likely blown past it. That leaves a lot of money left over for the honeymoon, future trips and the fence we need to get started on.

Just pulled off the casual/intimate (destination, inclusive) wedding and dinner with just our nuclear families. Can confirm that is it is an excellent idea, and sooo much less stressful in the months leading up and especially the day of. We had a great time, and got to enjoy the day instead of managing it. And it cost us about the same as renting a venue and doing the normal wedding to spend 11-days of family time then honeymoon in Hawaii.

We'll probably throw a big celebration party late summer/early fall but it will just be kegs, a band and a taco truck.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Insurance is giving me $7,671 for the mustang. I bought it four years ago for $8500 so I'm pretty happy.

Also scratch chat:

:smug: :smug: :coal: :smug:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

NitroSpazzz posted:

Seems like a lot of people wish they would have gone this route. A lot of friends (hers and mine) are popping out of no where saying we're making such a good decision on this. I honestly thought it would be more difficult getting her to go with this idea but we had joked about it early in the relationship. When the wedding went from ~50 close friends to requiring 150 to even reserve the space everything just started getting out of hand quick. Her Dad isn't thrilled about the idea but all the other parents, family and grandparents are. I'm actually really looking forward to it now instead of just trying to figure out how much money its going to cost.

We had our wedding at the church followed by a lunch in the church meeting space. It was totally open and anyone could come. I think the church "donation" was something like $250 and the lunch was all in well less than $500 for sandwiches, deserts and drinks. I think we had some monster sandwich trays made up from Safeway or something. For the reception we rented the smallest banquet room at the hotel and only invited immediate family which was about 15-20 people. Siblings & spouses, best friends, parents, and on my side my uncle because he's the only one. On my wifes side we didn't invite aunts or uncles because she had something like 10 of them and they all reproduced like mice which would have ballooned the reception to 70+ people once the cousins came so we just had to draw the line. A couple people were not happy, but they weren't paying for it so to hell with them. The vast majority had absolutely no problem with it, helped out with the general lunch after the ceremony and were very supportive and said it was the right call.

Honeymoon was a driving vacation to some hot springs and a nice hotel about 3 hours away. We planned on doing a fancier honeymoon later in the year but never got around to it. That might be the only thing I slightly regret about the wedding, but it is very, very, very slightly.

The only thing we splurged on at the end of the day was a limo (gift from the inlaws) and photos which we paid for but we kept that fairly reasonable. This was in 2000 so digital wasn't as big of a thing with pro photographers so a professional studio sitting with film was money well spent. We did take some great informal shots after the ceremony in between drinks in the limo.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 26, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cage posted:

Insurance is giving me $7,671 for the mustang. I bought it four years ago for $8500 so I'm pretty happy.

Also scratch chat:

:smug: :smug: :coal: :smug:

wow nice!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

NitroSpazzz posted:

Good call. I got married for free at a hiking viewpoint with a view you couldn't beat at a fancy destination place. Went to a top Zagat restaurant with 25 friends and family members afterwards, was given a private room and paid regular price for all meals that came out far less than it would have been if we used a caterer. Spent the real money going to SE Asia for 3 weeks as a honeymoon, which is a much better way to make memories than a wedding day when you're distracted by everything.

Congratulations!

blk
Dec 19, 2009

InitialDave posted:

Looks good, what's with that rear shock design? Looks like the body is extended so the upper mount is on the side, rather than the end of it?

Yeah, it mounts on both sides. I can't tell you why, my last mountain bike was a rigid steel Trek 830 from 1993. The amount of features on the market now is insane.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

We didn't go into debt for our wedding and had a nice time with everybody. I had hoped to go the cheaper route but it didn't pan out since her and her Dad weren't having it. Either way, no regrets but it seems dumb to throw away a shitload of money at one day.

I'm not huge on celebrations, obviously. :v:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Take the money you were gonna spend on a huge wedding and put it in a retirement account.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Well my laptop decided now was the time to take a full on poo poo. I guess I put off replacing it for too long.
Thinking of grabbing this as a short term solution, thoughts?

http://www.microcenter.com/product/458851/Latitude_E6420_Windows_7_Professional_14_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Black

Or I grab this one and toss the 128SSD I have sitting here in it and save myself $40.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/444702/Latitude_E6420_Windows_7_Professional_14_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Black

Or should I go with an HP Elitebook?
http://www.microcenter.com/product/444311/EliteBook_8460P_140_Laptop_Computer_Refurbished_-_Silver

I've got a HP Elitebook with a 256GB SSD I was just about to put in Goonmart for $250.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

blk posted:

New ride

Sweet! Go off some jumps and stuff. We had a lot of snow this winter so I've still only been out mountain biking a handful of times. Have been volunteering with the kids program which is fun

Also I got this last week, it's a little lighter and faster than my cross bike

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Oh god, I bought a 1-series BMW. Now what?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Oldsmobile posted:

Do a burnout, obv.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
So I just got a nice surprise of Hertz charging me $25 extra because the car had this new Plate Pass bullshit and I went through an automatic $2 toll, which I have done on this exact trip at least 10 times before in a rental. This isn't a fine this is just new tacked on bullshit. In October did the exact same toll only to be charged the $4 for both ways.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Seminal Flu posted:

Do a burnout, obv.

Still have studded tires on. Going to put summers on and then I'll do it.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Oldsmobile posted:

Which engine?

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

Oh, just a 1.6l.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Oldsmobile posted:

Consider the life choices that led to you buying a budget BMW.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

ExplodingSims posted:

E30 318s are extremely good and a budget BMW. Who cares.

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

I needed a small car. Choices were like somewhere in the Skoda/VW/Fiat range and this is about the same price yet drives really nice. Like extremely nice.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I would happily drive one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldsmobile
Jun 13, 2006

It really seems kind of like they just took a 3-series and stuck smaller body on that.

I guess they didn't have a small car platform but really needed one in the market or something.

Back seat's kind of cramped but fine for kids.

• Locked thread