Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.

gumdrops posted:

The outcome of an election is not determined by those who vote, but by those who don't vote. Since 1945 or so, we have had pretty close elections, with not much more than half of the people voting. In the 1968 election about 80 million voted, and about 50 million qualified to vote did not. The outcome was determined by the 50 million who didn't vote. If you could have got 2 percent of the nonvoters to the polls to vote for your candidate, you could have elected him. And that has been true of most of our recent elections. It's the ones who don't vote who determine the outcome.

Then it's the fault of whoever runs candidates not worth leaving the house for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

gumdrops posted:

The outcome of an election is not determined by those who vote, but by those who don't vote. Since 1945 or so, we have had pretty close elections, with not much more than half of the people voting. In the 1968 election about 80 million voted, and about 50 million qualified to vote did not. The outcome was determined by the 50 million who didn't vote. If you could have got 2 percent of the nonvoters to the polls to vote for your candidate, you could have elected him. And that has been true of most of our recent elections. It's the ones who don't vote who determine the outcome.

*takes a look at 2012 vs 2016 vote results*

*notices one side had more people not vote in 2016 than 2012*

"GODDAMNIT IT! These loving Trump voters ruined us!"

*runs a corporatist shill in 2020*

*loses*

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Imagine how much worse the next republican candidate would have been had Hillary won. We could have gotten a Ted Cruz in 2020...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Toadvine posted:

Imagine how much worse the next republican candidate would have been had Hillary won. We could have gotten a Ted Cruz in 2020...

We'd already be at war with Russia by now if Hillary had won.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gumdrops posted:

The outcome of an election is not determined by those who vote, but by those who don't vote. .

That's literally the opposite of true. Only people who vote determine the outcome of an election

Testvan
Nov 10, 2003
Maybe people should just simply vote for who they want to win rather than trying to do some tactical voting bullshit. I remember a huge portion of Hillary primary voters' reasoning was because 'she was more likely to win in the general' not 'I wanted her to win more than the other people running'.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

maybe if the majority of voters vote for nobody, then nobody should take office instead of some runner-up to nobody

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

The outcome of an election is determined by those who vote and those who don't vote.

QED

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

gumdrops posted:

Then maybe politicians in the running should do a better job with their campaigns and make me actually want to vote for them.

Hillary didn't try to do that. She literally didn't bother to try and convince people to vote for her. She just catered to people who were already fans. That is not a winning strategy.

All the Hillary campaign succeeded in was getting people to not vote for Trump. And Trump himself was enough to convince people not to vote for Trump. The Democratic party has costed by on being the lesser of two evils for decades, but it just isn't good enough anymore.

And I somehow doubt the DNC is going to learn. It's pretty much human nature to never admit you made mistakes and blame someone else for your problems. Our political system is also insanely corrupt and basically functions on the bribes of wealthy special interests and caters to them to survive, but it's paradoxically at odds with what the majority of voters actually want. The Democratic party is in an awkward position where it thrives off of corrupt, wealthy individuals, but also needs people to vote for them to survive, which are two things that are at odds with each other.

The Republican party can get away with being ruthless corporate shills because as long as they say that they're all about Jesus and guns, people will vote for them. They've also managed to convince a huge number of people that trickle down economics is a thing that's actually good. What the dems have right now is idpol, but that's a sinking ship that's turning more and more people against them.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Testvan posted:

Maybe people should just simply vote for who they want to win rather than trying to do some tactical voting bullshit. I remember a huge portion of Hillary primary voters' reasoning was because 'she was more likely to win in the general' not 'I wanted her to win more than the other people running'.

I still have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that were actually people for hillary, I totally get being against trump but being for hillary just doesn't compute.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Gammatron 64 posted:

Then maybe politicians in the running should do a better job with their campaigns and make me actually want to vote for them.

Hillary didn't try to do that. She literally didn't bother to try and convince people to vote for her. She just catered to people who were already fans. That is not a winning strategy.

All the Hillary campaign succeeded in was getting people to not vote for Trump. And Trump himself was enough to convince people not to vote for Trump. The Democratic party has costed by on being the lesser of two evils for decades, but it just isn't good enough anymore.

And I somehow doubt the DNC is going to learn. It's pretty much human nature to never admit you made mistakes and blame someone else for your problems. Our political system is also insanely corrupt and basically functions on the bribes of wealthy special interests and caters to them to survive, but it's paradoxically at odds with what the majority of voters actually want. The Democratic party is in an awkward position where it thrives off of corrupt, wealthy individuals, but also needs people to vote for them to survive, which are two things that are at odds with each other.

The Republican party can get away with being ruthless corporate shills because as long as they say that they're all about Jesus and guns, people will vote for them. They've also managed to convince a huge number of people that trickle down economics is a thing that's actually good. What the dems have right now is idpol, but that's a sinking ship that's turning more and more people against them.

the Republican party has been eating itself for about a decade now my dude, the legislators who try to use government to actually do anything have been getting primaried out by guys who categorically won't. while creeps like Pelosi have been taking a business-as-usual tack and trying to cooperate with Trump the Republican Congress is about to shut down the federal government to stop a Republican president from doing anything while in office

what the D vs. R race to the bottom has convinced people of is that voting the lesser evil into power is just voting evil into power, and the state can't be used for good

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 26, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
gently caress the Lesser Evil theory of voting and gently caress anyone who expects me to vote based on it.

e: lol, fortuitous timing. This post was made without knowledge of the one above it.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Apr 26, 2017

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

sure our candidate is categorically bad in every way but it's vital to vote for the lesser of two evils so things will only get somewhat worse instead of way worse

*after the election* why the gently caress didn't you vote? this is all YOUR fault

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

big nipples big life posted:

I still have a hard time coming to grips with the fact that were actually people for hillary, I totally get being against trump but being for hillary just doesn't compute.

it was entirely people who wanted a female president. there was literally no other angle provided by the campaign or really covered in any publicity or advertising. plus people really susceptible to mass media propaganda just lapped up the pro hillary angle without even really thinking about it and you can tell by catching a lot of nonsensical rhetoric from them or assertions that things are entirely separate from how they are in reality

its hard to wrap your mind around being a total loving tool but like that's like 80% of the population. there are people that think trevor noah is funny and that the daily show is news.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

nigga crab pollock posted:

it was entirely people who wanted a female president. there was literally no other angle provided by the campaign or really covered in any publicity or advertising. plus people really susceptible to mass media propaganda just lapped up the pro hillary angle without even really thinking about it and you can tell by catching a lot of nonsensical rhetoric from them or assertions that things are entirely separate from how they are in reality

its hard to wrap your mind around being a total loving tool but like that's like 80% of the population. there are people that think trevor noah is funny and that the daily show is news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqYJRc0TJkQ&t=68s

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

I'm 100% convinced that Comedy Central gets better ratings from re-runs of shows like Futurama and Archer than any of their self-produced garbage. All the clips that are supposed to attract me to watch The Daily Show, Problematic, or that comedian karaoke show are cringey as gently caress and have the opposite effect.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
*in extremely condescending tone* yeah, well, hillary was the most qualified person to ever run for president. it's insane to think people voted for some orange lunatic under investigation by the FBI rather than someone who actually knows how to do the job *motions over to podium where hillary is collapsed on the ground with a doctor trying to epipen her*

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

new phone who dis posted:

I'm 100% convinced that Comedy Central gets better ratings from re-runs of shows like Futurama and Archer than any of their self-produced garbage. All the clips that are supposed to attract me to watch The Daily Show, Problematic, or that comedian karaoke show are cringey as gently caress and have the opposite effect.

no no no. you're thinking about it. that's entirely the opposite of what you're supposed to do. you're just supposed to watch it and be passively indoctrinated. you aren't supposed to make conscious decisions about what you choose to watch, you just put the boob tube on the funnie channel and laugh, silly!

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
If Hillary took Elizabeth Warren as a running mate, she would have won. Kaine had zero going for him other than the fact he enabled DNC garbage in the past. Mike Pence is an anti-gay arch-conservative and he's probably more qualified to do the job of president than Kaine, Clinton and Trump all combined.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

If Hillary took Elizabeth Warren as a running mate, she would have won. Kaine had zero going for him other than the fact he enabled DNC garbage in the past. Mike Pence is an anti-gay arch-conservative and he's probably more qualified to do the job of president than Kaine, Clinton and Trump all combined.

i was really surprised when the media tried to amp up people's fears with rhetoric about Bannon being the mastermind of the presidency and how brietbart is going to control the country when he's visibly an alcoholic with no experience and they have a fuckin lich's phylactery at their beck and call with Pence

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Just chillaxin here in Cedar Rapids L.O.L.!!! *slumps over, shits self, staffers desperately attempt to block her from view until she can be revived with a blood sacrifice*

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Those pence memes where he's Race Bannon from johnny quest are pretty funny though

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Tim Kaine let Despicable Debbie take his place as dnc chair back in '11 in exchange for the vp slot. The machinations run deep. I shudder to think how many young potential leaders within the party have been quashed over the years to ensure a smooth induction for Clinton.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
Hillary would have brought fainting couches back into fashion after having them put in each room of the White House.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Rubellavator posted:

Those pence memes where he's Race Bannon from johnny quest are pretty funny though

and the best thing the hillary campaign could come up with was 'why don't they pokemon-go to the polls?'

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Rubellavator posted:

He kilt fitty men!

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.

and the best thing the hillary campaign could come up with was 'why don't they pokemon-go to the polls?'

oh god i hope that wasn't real.

e: yeah it happened. gently caress.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

are you disappointed that Minnie Castevet and her hangers-on didn't go all in on memes

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

bonerjam posted:

oh god i hope that wasn't real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwaiyjh1dGk

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Toadvine posted:

I shudder to think how many young potential leaders within the party have been quashed over the years to ensure a smooth induction for Clinton.

I just read a book about the Emperor Augustus (of Rome, obv). He did the same poo poo, he ruthlessly promoted his own chosen heirs while quashing the careers of individuals who were promising for the state, but not of the chosen clan.

Except Augusts was a talented and inspiring leader who launched a new era of prosperity and stability for the Roman Empire, whereas for Hillary the best case would be that she manages our decline such that we collapse slowly.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 26, 2017

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Does the book shed any light on whether or not Hillary really carried hot sauce in her purse?

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
You'd think with all her years as a public figure and all her media coaches and advisors she'd know how not to act like an awkward retard in public.

Or maybe just everything was so calculated it came all the way back around and made her look the same as if she was a weird autist namedropping things she has heard of.

Hillary is one of those people who leaves out the "dash Tabasco" in a recipe, if she cooked at all, which she doesn't because she has some brown people to do it for her.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rubellavator posted:

Does the book shed any light on whether or not Hillary really carried hot sauce in her purse?

Regrettably, no

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Chomp8645 posted:

I just read a book about the Emperor Augustus (of Rome, obv). He did the same poo poo, he ruthlessly promoted his own chosen heirs while quashing the careers of individuals who were promising for the state, but not of the chosen clan.

Except Augusts was a talented and inspiring leader who launched a new era of prosperity and stability for the Roman Empire, whereas for Hillary the best case would be that she manages our decline such that we collapse slowly.

Augustus hosed up too, look at the emperors between him and Nerva.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

bonerjam posted:

You'd think with all her years as a public figure and all her media coaches and advisors she'd know how not to act like an awkward retard in public.

Or maybe just everything was so calculated it came all the way back around and made her look the same as if she was a weird autist namedropping things she has heard of.

Hillary is one of those people who leaves out the "dash Tabasco" in a recipe, if she cooked at all, which she doesn't because she has some brown people to do it for her.

the asnwer is the internet

if you have the press in your back pocket and they will only publish exactly what you want them to say, and you vastly overestimate the relevancy of mass media compared to its importance 20 years ago , you might forget that there are dozens of hd cameras trained on you at any given moment by random schmucks and just one of them has the potential to 'go viral' when the dildo slips out of her pussy and she gets thrown into a van like a side of pork

the entire campaign is full of events like that which Officially never happened or there is some long winded explanation as to how hillary actually didn't collapse or had a perfectly reasonable reason to do so but none of that matters when people aren't watching the clip on The Daily Show they're watching it on twitter

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
like no poo poo the entire success of the campaign was predicated on the ability of the campaign and the media to control public perception and while they are still capable of doing so their understanding of 'the media' is straight out of 1997 and what do you know they lost the election so hard they were totally blindsided

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

bonerjam posted:

how much time has Hillary Clinton spent in the last couple decades 'in public' and not surrounded by a handpicked court of party sycophants who only care about how influential someone is

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dmitri-9 posted:

Augustus hosed up too, look at the emperors between him and Nerva.

Yeah him setting up heirs was no so good. But more importantly he changed the Roman senate and the administration of the empire such that state was strong enough and competent enough that it could stay solvent and effective even with a poor leader at the top.

Compare that to our senate lol.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
remember when they started a hit campaign on a meme and inadvertently created mouthpieces for a modern white supremacist movement because they had a full blown defcon moment over a cartoon frog on the internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009

Rubellavator posted:

Hillary actually is a nerd about chili peppers and hot sauces but if you're constantly focus tested and image-conscious to an insane degree then people don't believe you when you say something honest.

Like saying you carry hot sauce in your bag to the black hosts of a hip hop and r&b morning radio show.

• Locked thread