Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

He's a good lad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Naoya is 100% the weird older cousin you had who just spent all his time coding in his room in his kimono and had mall katanas on his wall, but then he sends you demon_summoning_program.exe and you realize your mom was right to ask you not to talk to him

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
DeSu 2 won me over because of the protag and I won't her otherwise. :colbert:

Also Io getting possessed by Lugh was loving sick.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The fact that everytime someone tries to wake you up in the morning in DeSu2, you have a dialogue option to say "I'm sleeping" makes it a pretty good game even tho I haven't touched it

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There's a few dialogue choices where all the options are some kind of sass, it owns.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I keep this around just for these times:

These kinds of options really carried over well to P5.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
>You're a man. Let 'em dangle. :colbert:

I still don't really understand DeSu 2 other than some folks at Atlus really wanted to make an NGE game but they were stuck in SMT world.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

HGH posted:

Maybe I should play this game.....

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I like the death clock mechanic and I'm sad I don't think it's in devilsurvivor 2

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Nicaea's Death Clips are basically just the Death Clock, anyway, in practice. The real loss is the lack of Laplace Mail.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Arrrthritis posted:

I'm playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions atm and i feel a lot of things about this game

-The game feels low budget af. It looks like they put a lot of resources into animation and model quality and then had like, 10 dollars for level design and decided to fill out the remaining time with a huge enemy spawn rate.
That seems weird to me, I think the dungeons are some of the best in SMT. They all feel very different.

Arrrthritis posted:

-I want an axe using mirage, dammit. Give me Hector.
I take it you're still in the first few chapters of the game? :allears:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Devil Survivor 2 is my favorite SMT game because it's really fun to play and its character cast is all around strong. I don't feel much about the plot other than it's fujoserviceable, but that's more or less how I feel about every SMT game. The tone swings never bothered me, but I'm glad they leaned away from the serious edge in Record Breaker.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

In P4G is Marie's SL gated by plot or Social Stats or something? I'm only Rank 2 with her but it keeps telling me that our relationship won't deepen yet. I don't have any way of raising it other than the Shrine though. I fused an Aeon Persona to see if that helps but she hasn't shown up since.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

irlZaphod posted:

In P4G is Marie's SL gated by plot or Social Stats or something? I'm only Rank 2 with her but it keeps telling me that our relationship won't deepen yet. I don't have any way of raising it other than the Shrine though. I fused an Aeon Persona to see if that helps but she hasn't shown up since.

I think her link is occasionally gated until you get certain party members, given how many scenes she has with them (Like, say, her scene with Chie and Yukiko early on where they go clothes shopping).

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also even with matching personas sometimes you just need to spend time with them. I don't think she has any ambient affection raising events, like doing well on tests or feeding answers to your friends, so you might just want to slap on an Aeon persona and eat the day.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm finished the video game dungeon so I have Rise and Teddie, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't let me progress. I'll try eating a day on her and see what happens.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Maybe I should play this game.....

It's better than DeSu2 but I hated grinding for different endings and starting over when I didn't get a new one. Also, you can't date boys.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

irlZaphod posted:

That seems weird to me, I think the dungeons are some of the best in SMT. They all feel very different.

I take it you're still in the first few chapters of the game? :allears:

Yeah, thinking on this more I think it's because i'm coming from Persona 5 rather than a different SMT/Persona game (lol random dungeons/navigating Tokyo). Right now I'm at the TV-Set dungeon and things are pretty cool atm- better than Persona 4 at least.

And yeah, I'm at the early stages of the game. I get the feeling The boss of this dungeon is gonna be the next axe user I get :black101:, because he's on the menu screen and all. I've kept myself from getting spoiled on just about anything on this game so i'm looking forward to what other 1-3 fire emblem characters i'm going to get. Currently, character-wise, i'm hoping I get

-A rogue (like Sothe or Jaffar)
-A Wyvern Rider (Jill/Haar/Cherche)
-A heavy-armor Axe Lord (Give me Hector.)

I'd say they should give me a dancer like Azura or Ninian or something, but this is a fire emblem game where everybody in your party is a dancer.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Arrrthritis posted:

I'm playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions atm and i feel a lot of things about this game

-I really like the sessions system, it makes hitting weaknesses really satisfying.
-The game feels low budget af. It looks like they put a lot of resources into animation and model quality and then had like, 10 dollars for level design and decided to fill out the remaining time with a huge enemy spawn rate.
-Everything about the game is so ridiculous and I love it. Especially the ad-lib attacks.
-I want an axe using mirage, dammit. Give me Hector.
-Every woman is this game is ridiculously stacked

Overall I really like it, and kind of hope it gets a sequel at some point (although idt that's likely. My hunch is that the game didn't sell well enough).

Just started this too coming out of Persona 5 and these ar kind of my same thoughts.

My favorite ridiculous thing is the Radiant Unity with one of the guys where they have a pose off with their mirage before fist bumping to learn a new skill.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

HGH posted:

So are there relationship levels/alignment stuff to think about when picking dialog options or is there no reason not to just pick the funniest one every time? This is important

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There's kind of a social link system in DeSu2 that I kinda feel like is better integrated than Persona's system at times since you can rank up after story conversations along with your requisite hang out scenes.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the vast majority of things that boost your Fate level with a given character are you initiating the scene in the first place, not necessarily what you pick as a dialogue choice in said scene.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Harrow posted:

So are there relationship levels/alignment stuff to think about when picking dialog options or is there no reason not to just pick the funniest one every time? This is important

I am pretty sure calling Makoto a pervert at every opportunity improves your relationship with her.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

I am pretty sure calling Makoto a pervert at every opportunity improves your relationship with her.

But sadly not "beep boop "

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Harrow posted:

But sadly not "beep boop "

Wrong Makoto. :v: If we're counting the P3 MC as a Makoto, then this series has 4 different Makotos.

Makoto Kuwahara from Persona 2, Makoto Yuki from Persona 3, Makoto Niijima from Persona 5, and Makoto Sako from Devil Survivor 2.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Wrong Makoto. :v: If we're counting the P3 MC as a Makoto, then this series has 4 different Makotos.

Makoto Kuwahara from Persona 2, Makoto Yuki from Persona 3, Makoto Niijima from Persona 5, and Makoto Sako from Devil Survivor 2.

There are so many Makotos! :psyduck:

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

ChaosArgate posted:

Just call the one from 3 Minato Arisato, it's a much cooler name for him

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As far as I'm concerned the manga/anime names aren't necessarily "canon" until they're used in a game. So it's generally accepted that the P4 MC's canon name is Yu Narukami but as far as I know Minato Arisato and Makoto Yuki are equally "canon" for P3 MC.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I forget, was he called anything in particular in PQ? Or did you name both characters there?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You name both characters, though I think the game's manual uses Yu and Minato in screen shots.

Amusingly, "Yu Narukami" doesn't fit so I think they went with "Yu Nakami" or something. For the P3 MC, they used Minato Arisato. But in-game they don't have any default name.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Harrow posted:

There are so many Makotos! :psyduck:

It's the best first name.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Harrow posted:

As far as I'm concerned the manga/anime names aren't necessarily "canon" until they're used in a game. So it's generally accepted that the P4 MC's canon name is Yu Narukami but as far as I know Minato Arisato and Makoto Yuki are equally "canon" for P3 MC.

This would be dumb as hell in practice but it'd be funny if every spinoff had a completely different "play" of the protagonists. So you'd get P5Arena and the P4 hero isn't called yu anymore and he doesn't really know half his crew because he couldn't manage time for poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

On that topic, I think it'd be cool if Atlus let you carry over your social link/confidant decisions to spin-offs in some way. The idea I had for that before would be to just have dialog options that make something "true" for that playthrough. Like in a hypothetical Persona 5 Arena, if the Persona 4 characters are around, maybe at some point Joker talks to (for example) Rise and you can either ask "You and Yu are together, right?" or "You and Yu are really good friends, huh?", and whichever you say becomes "true" and influences a scene or two down the line. It'd be a way to have relationship-based fan service in the spin-offs without annoying people who didn't pick that romance or needing to support save importing or something silly like that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ChaosArgate posted:

There's a random child NPC in the P4 post-December dungeon scene named Makoto. Don't ask me how I remember that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Harrow posted:

On that topic, I think it'd be cool if Atlus let you carry over your social link/confidant decisions to spin-offs in some way. The idea I had for that before would be to just have dialog options that make something "true" for that playthrough. Like in a hypothetical Persona 5 Arena, if the Persona 4 characters are around, maybe at some point Joker talks to (for example) Rise and you can either ask "You and Yu are together, right?" or "You and Yu are really good friends, huh?", and whichever you say becomes "true" and influences a scene or two down the line. It'd be a way to have relationship-based fan service in the spin-offs without annoying people who didn't pick that romance or needing to support save importing or something silly like that.
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World did that to decide whoever Lloyd was with in the original game and it sort of worked I guess.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Raxivace posted:

Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World did that to decide whoever Lloyd was with in the original game and it sort of worked I guess.

Which is roughly the biggest compliment you can pay Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World.

Even as someone who can forgive almost anything if there's a monster-collecting and battling system that game was soooo garbage.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Raxivace posted:

It's probably about the only way to do it without save importing, which is farther than I think Persona would ever need to go. It's probably safe to treat any spin-off as if the protagonist maxed all the social links/confidants and got the best ending, so the only real decision to carry over is who the protagonist is in a romantic relationship with (if anyone).

I guess another way to do it would be to have a situation where the protagonist thinks "I should call my girlfriend" and you pick their name from your phone contacts, or if you pick Ryuji or something he thinks to himself, "...or I would if I had one. Guess I'll call Ryuji."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

I just ordered DeSu2 off Amazon, I hope you're all happy with yourselves.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

irlZaphod posted:

I just ordered DeSu2 off Amazon, I hope you're all happy with yourselves.

If we are happy it is because we are happy for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm Rilly happy you bought it. Have a nice wheeeee..........