Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Mercedes posted:

HOW?! I got this drat game on UPlay so I don't have access to steam big picture

Not sure on PC but on ps4 I had to go into the compatibility settings and swap square and L1. Makes menus and stuff pretty annoying but it's worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Wandle Cax posted:

There is definitely something wrong with your connection it's never meant to be that bad. That's not very helpful I know, hopefully you can find a way to fix it

I'm assuming it's only in full-on 4v4 because I was able to make it through a 4v4 skirmish where the matchmaker put me and 3 other low-ish people against two high prestige players and two bots. I'd had no problems when the game was newer but I've admittedly been away from the game for some time and there may have been some change that made it so that my particular connection parameters were no good.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I thought that after the patch we could complete all side missions in either pvp or pve but I'm not getting credit for my contract missions. Is it only the 2 dailies and not the 48-hour contract missions?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

titties posted:

I thought that after the patch we could complete all side missions in either pvp or pve but I'm not getting credit for my contract missions. Is it only the 2 dailies and not the 48-hour contract missions?

That is supposed to be the case for all of them, but something might be acting weird, I don't think I'm getting all my progress even from PvP matches tonight.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yardbomb posted:

That is supposed to be the case for all of them, but something might be acting weird, I don't think I'm getting all my progress even from PvP matches tonight.

It turns out that I still had old contracts from before the patch dropped which was probably the issue.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

titties posted:

It turns out that I still had old contracts from before the patch dropped which was probably the issue.

Oh yeah any old ones you had around in progress still gotta be finished how they were.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I ended up just putting my PC in a DMZ for the time I'm playing, for whatever reason opening the listed ports doesn't do it for me.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dessel posted:

Only buy boxes when prestige 3. You will get higher level gear from them starting from that point.

If I get crates from the campaign but wait until Prestige 3 to open them, will I get higher tier gear?

Huckabee Sting
Oct 2, 2006

A stolen King, a burning ego, and a gas station katana.
Been having fun with the game, but just recently something switched. It has gotten so stale so fast, sadly. I wish I liked it more. It's like I either stomp someone because they don't turtle, or I fight someone who does I get stomped. The best move is to not move in this game, and it is really lame. The last 1v1 duel I had ended with 20 seconds left on the clock as the other player and I stared at each other for 4 minutes. He tried to guardbreak, I teched it and he fell off a cliff.

I know it sounds neat but Medieval Staring Contest was not the game I meant to buy.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

If I get crates from the campaign but wait until Prestige 3 to open them, will I get higher tier gear?

Yep, you can't get purple gear until you're at least rep 3, using them earlier would be a complete waste pretty much.

If you can wait further, the purples also get better as you go, at 3 they start at 13, at 4 they're 14 and so on, the max level is 18.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Welp. Do I get more crates from replaying the SP?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Welp. Do I get more crates from replaying the SP?

You don't get more stuff from replaying unless you go through on realistic (If you did lower the first run) or still have some breakables and viewpoints to find, just use a guide for those.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

titties posted:

also, duel contracts dont work in pve, they have to be done pvp

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think I must be the worst For Honor player on earth. It's normal to go like 4-20 in duels when you're just starting out, right? I do feel like I'm learning but I always end up doing something stupid like run out of stamina or fail to parry some really obvious can see it coming from a mile away strike.

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

If you are just starting make a custom duel match. Set the timer to what ever it allows and damage to zero. Then just practice your timings against a bot. First level 2 when you get hang of that level 3. Practice blocking, parrying, counter guard breaking, all the combos you have. It's lot faster to learn when you you can be relaxed and don't have to worry about losing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think I'm just going to do that before I get back in the ring, thanks.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
You're probably attacking too much or maybe trying to parry too much when a block would suffice, unfortunately being active is a death sentence in this game. Also don't do more than one light attack in a row unless you're PK or Valk and never do a heavy attack at all unless its guaranteed, like after a guardbreak.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'm probably playing too aggressively. I get a good shoulder bash rhythm going and then after like two hits my Warden is out of breath and just gets ragdolled around the arena by dumb Viking bullshit.

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Anyone know any exhaustion punishment combos for the Nobushi?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I'm probably playing too aggressively. I get a good shoulder bash rhythm going and then after like two hits my Warden is out of breath and just gets ragdolled around the arena by dumb Viking bullshit.

I played really aggressively early on (as a pre-nerf valk, no less) and it was punishing for a long time, but I slowly got better at parry timing and now I'm able to counter and open up a lot of people.

Putting the work in to getting good at parries pays off but it can be a pretty long road as each character has its own attacks and parry timing.

Unfortunately the best way to play is to just block and never parry, but that's insanely boring and this is a game, so if you like playing aggressively, do it.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I wouldn't sweat opening your gear packs early. I saved all mine until Rep 3 but until then I was ridiculously undergeared and the 4v4 modes were pretty unfun. I just got my second character (valk) to rep 2 and I'm spending on decent gear for her. It's inefficient and will be obsolete when I hit rep 3 but it made the grind less painful.

Speaking of gear prioritize stuff that increases revenge stats. Also max defense on the sword gives you 30% more HP while max attack only give 18% more damage,so take that into account. Anything to do with block damage is nearly useless. Sprint speed is important too. That should give you a basic idea of what to work on.

Mambo No. 5
Feb 25, 2009

Admiral Parry "Terror" Sornis,
Dead Birds Society

I almost hope the tin cans win this round just so the weebs don't get one up over vikings. I have no confidence in that happening so my fingers are crossed that we ride to Valhalla, shiny and chrome.

The KoRn Identity
Apr 9, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

pressing buttons in this game is always the worst thing you can do.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Mambo No. 5 posted:

I almost hope the tin cans win this round just so the weebs don't get one up over vikings. I have no confidence in that happening so my fingers are crossed that we ride to Valhalla, shiny and chrome.

If it comes to a tie I think they break it on who spent more resources, which unfortunately is probably the weebs.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I actually won some duels this morning! I still lose a whole lot but there's some hope at least. One thing I'm not really good at is reading when an enemy is going in for a Guard Break. Right now I'm just devoting all my mental energy toward blocking in the right direction or trying to parry, not thinking about throws and then whoopsydoodles I get slammed into a wall. Most players I'm up against can't defend against the Warden bitchslap though so I just use zone attack when they're guarding top and try to initiate with top light if they're guarding left. I'm still not good enough to even pull off a guaranteed side light combo after a shoulder bash.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I've been debating picking this up again. Is the conqueror still utter bullshit with shield slam spam?

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

And so Black Jesus turned water into a bucket of chicken. And He saw that it was good.

Fuzz posted:

I've been debating picking this up again. Is the conqueror still utter bullshit with shield slam spam?

Absolute dogshit to deal with.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fuzz posted:

If you don't know how to press the spacebar and A or D then yeah.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mans posted:

Except the amount of stamina it takes me to dodge is more than the amount of stamina it takes for him to bash, so.... eventually the math wins.

Edit: Words are hard.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 26, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Mercedes posted:

Absolute dogshit to deal with.

Oh good, at least I'm not the only one.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Except the amount of stamina it takes me to dodge is less than the amount of stamina it takes for him to bash, so.... eventually the math wins.

It also doesn't help that it's safe against pretty much everything. It's pretty tiring when the best you can hope for is a reset to neutral, whereas the conq has a decent shot at hurting you with virtually no risk to himself. Every careless regular attack can be punished (often severely) through parries, deflects, or dodges. In that light, it's really silly that many of the various bashes are very or even completely safe. Outside of Shugoki, the only reliable counterplay is trying to pre-empt an incoming bash with an attack of your own, which has an extremely tight window for most characters.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can slap a warden or a raider in the face to break their face and a swipe to the left will dodge the conqueror's shield bash?

It's not that hard.

Fuzz posted:

Except the amount of stamina it takes me to dodge is more than the amount of stamina it takes for him to bash, so.... eventually the math wins.

The conqueror can only do a heavy attack + shield bash combo three times at most and you can dodge the shield easily and parry the heavy mace attack for a free hit. If you're stuck against a wall then you're in trouble yeah but in open space it's a basic maneuver to doge.

The Conqueror can only hit you if you let him.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006

Mans posted:

No, he means before they made conq shield bash actually punishable rather than simply ending up neutral, which they have now done. Warlords headbutt is still a huge pain though.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
God drat i hate the fact that i'm salty about Vikings winning a full set of ornaments for the first season.

It was basically a raffle when choosing your faction no matter how coordinated the factions subreddits were trying to be.

I like being a pretty princess :saddowns:

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Fuzz posted:

Dodging takes no stamina though?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hard posted:

God drat i hate the fact that i'm salty about Vikings winning a full set of ornaments for the first season.

It was basically a raffle when choosing your faction no matter how coordinated the factions subreddits were trying to be.

I like being a pretty princess :saddowns:

Well Vikings were clearly the coolest faction, so you only have yourself to blame or something.

Half of the ornaments are pretty ugly anyway.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

Well Vikings were clearly the coolest faction, so you only have yourself to blame or something.

Half of the ornaments are pretty ugly anyway.

Black Viking Erryday

Well it hasn't been erryday lately, but the spirit is there.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Liu posted:

No, he means before they made conq shield bash actually punishable rather than simply ending up neutral, which they have now done. Warlords headbutt is still a huge pain though.

Wait, when did this change happen? What kinds of things punish it now?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Glad I picked Viking. People are SO MAD that they didn't get the ornaments.

Most ornaments are pretty dumb but I really like the Valkyrie one. My favorite is the Berserker Boar Head and I'm thinking of leveling her next just because its so badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes
Mar 7, 2006

"So you Jesus?"

"And you black?"

"Nigga prove it!"

loving Vikings. Samurai were winning yesterday

Mercedes fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 26, 2017