Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Maybe I'm just a dick (well, ok, I definitely am) but under such a system I would just take an easier job at around whatever cap you set instead of the harder one where my money gets siphoned away.

I don't think you would, seeing as how that's not what happens in countries with higher tax rates.

At least, even if you would, not enough people think that way to have a detrimental effect on society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

doverhog posted:

Agreed. Let's say the CEO can make 35 times minimum wage.

Also lol, you are a libertarian.

I am not and I am extremely offended that you think I am. Maybe some of what I said aligns with their beliefs but in general I think they are just as deluded as the communists.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Well that's what you get by talking politics while refusing to say what you actually believe. While you keep going back to taxation is theft, and the rich have the right to do whatever with their money, no matter how they got it.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Taxations are dues that you owe to the club of Civilization that you belong to by existing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Well that's what you get by talking politics while refusing to say what you actually believe. While you keep going back to taxation is theft, and the rich have the right to do whatever with their money, no matter how they got it.

You must have not been reading my posts because I clearly stated people who get their money through criminal means should be punished much more harshly than they currently are. And taxation is not theft, but setting a global salary cap and taking the rest away entirely is. Taxes are highly necessary, but they have to be fair. Are they fair now? Not entirely, but it's more fair than capping a person's salary and then taxing the excess at a 100% rate would be.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
The part of contention is the "When you already have all the money, who gives a poo poo how fair any proposed earning cap is?"

Thinking of it in a realm of fairness is cowardly and lazy at that point.

Grandmother of Five
May 9, 2008

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money. I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.
It is one thing to believe that a free market is the best working solution, and another thing to glorify it.

Initiative is a great quality, and good for society, but it is not self-sacrifice, especially with the possibility of using corporate structures with limited personal responsibility. I am not against those structures; it is absolutely worthwhile to encourage initiative and upstarts that way, but glorifying job-creators as belonging to some kind of caste with a noble capacity for altruism, is a mistake. Upstarts, innovation and initiative should be encouraged, but the notion that top earners all stem from rags-to-riches backgrounds, and experience, or have ever experienced, any kind of meaningful risk or self-sacrifice compared to that of wage earner risking the loss of their job or health to a work related accident is a false narrative.

Supporting upstarts and initiative is important, but top earners are not personally subject to risk in this way, or in any meaningful way compared to a wage-earner. Put aside a relative pittance of a top-earner salary, and you are virtually safe from any kind of meaningful economic disaster. That isn't bad, I am not interested in saying that people should not have that option, but the notion that top earners face risks greater than that of regular wage-earners is simply false.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think we just need a system better at identifying laziness.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

In any case, neither criminals nor high salaries are the real problem. Inherited wealth and unearned income are.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

In any case, neither criminals nor high salaries are the real problem. Inherited wealth and unearned income are.

I dislike spoiled rich trust fund kids as much as the next guy when they don't do anything worthwhile with the undeserved gift they got, but it's still the right of the parent to use the money as they see fit, even if they choose to spend it on their kid. I don't really see a viable alternative that is fair - if the government just seized the assets above a certain value of the deceased, that wouldn't be fair. If we're talking in hypotheticals, my ideal system would be that there would be strict requirements on how the inherited money is used, i.e. only used for starting businesses/creating jobs, very limited amounts of blowing it on luxury items they don't need and didn't earn.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Pick posted:

That's a difficult endeavor though as everyone has personal circumstances and whatnot so it's hard to define "lazy" by some hard metric. As a personal example I myself suffer from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which makes it hard to do things like hold a job or go outside or move out of my parents house. By a stroke of luck my disease still allows me to play and stream video games and post on the internet however.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Maybe the tendency of the right to focus on the lazy "welfare queens" instead of those who are truly needy is just an underhanded appeal to people's pride in an effort to manipulate them into voting for wealthy interests.

:tinfoil:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

well why not posted:

me: we should help the poor using rich people's excess money
americans: actually they don't deserve it and it's impossible so yeah

It is very difficult/next to impossible to propose that a country repossesses people's assets when they feel they are undeserving of them/acquired them through unscrupulous means. I believe Germany tried something like that once and things got out of hand.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

I dislike spoiled rich trust fund kids as much as the next guy when they don't do anything worthwhile with the undeserved gift they got, but it's still the right of the parent to use the money as they see fit, even if they choose to spend it on their kid. I don't really see a viable alternative that is fair - if the government just seized the assets above a certain value of the deceased, that wouldn't be fair. If we're talking in hypotheticals, my ideal system would be that there would be strict requirements on how the inherited money is used, i.e. only used for starting businesses/creating jobs, very limited amounts of blowing it on luxury items they don't need and didn't earn.

Actually, lazy rich kids buying luxury crap is often one of the only ways to keep legitimate artistry alive/

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I support the existence of luxury crap. Full Communism Now is not exactly known to be great for that.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Das Boo posted:

I support the existence of luxury crap. Full Communism Now is not exactly known to be great for that.

I support it too as long as you actually earned the money you are using on it. Inheritance receivers should have to do something worthwhile with their money before being deemed worthy of blowing money on stuff like that.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Deep Space 9 is a great show, but it's not the best Star Trek series. The original series, with Kirk, Spock, and Bones, is the best Trek series.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Deep Space 9 is a great show, but it's not the best Star Trek series. The original series, with Kirk, Spock, and Bones, is the best Trek series.

Deep Space 9 is pretty good but the worst part about it is definitely Sisko. The overly-dramatic way he talks bugs me and all the baseball poo poo is really cringe-inducing.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's reaaaalllllllll.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Deep Space 9 is pretty good but the worst part about it is definitely Sisko. The overly-dramatic way he talks bugs me and all the baseball poo poo is really cringe-inducing.

I get the impression that they tried for more relaxed banter compared to the other series. But everyone else is still so uptight and formal that Sisko just comes off as an absolute dickhead when he has a scene with anyone who isn't Dax.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Rich talk reminds me: Sports cars are the goddamn dumbest things in the world and I want to slap people who own them/dream of owning them. "Here's a top-grade machine that can achieve speeds of 250 mph! Not that you, who are not a trained racecar driver, can legally or safely exhibit those speeds! And here, we'll do you one better and build the entire body from aluminum! Or maybe a lightweight fibreglass? Haha, don't crash, now!"

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Das Boo posted:

Rich talk reminds me: Sports cars are the goddamn dumbest things in the world and I want to slap people who own them/dream of owning them. "Here's a top-grade machine that can achieve speeds of 250 mph! Not that you, who are not a trained racecar driver, can legally or safely exhibit those speeds! And here, we'll do you one better and build the entire body from aluminum! Or maybe a lightweight fibreglass? Haha, don't crash, now!"

Yeah I agree with this 100%. Who cares if your car can go that fast? You will either die or face jail time if you ever do it outside of a track. It's like buying an anti-aircraft cannon for home defense. Yeah it will work and is big and honkin but you'll never be able to use it to its full capacity.

If you're going to spend hundreds of thousands on a car at least get something like a Bentley or Rolls Royce where it actually looks/feels like a luxury car more than a racing toy. Those are also overpowered but at least they are comfortable too and you don't need to be some racing nerd to drive them properly.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Everyone makes fun of Shatner, but honestly, Avery Brooks is more over the top than Shatner usually was.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Everyone makes fun of Shatner, but honestly, Avery Brooks is more over the top than Shatner usually was.

Yeah, DS9 in superior in every way.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Between this and your enthusiastic support for Eugenics, you're kinda seeming sort of nazi-ish

Go re read my posts, SIR.

As for earning citizenship, I think the bar should be something extremely low, but you should have to DO something. I bet if you made people get a license to say, have kids, or some stupid poo poo, and all you had to do was sign it and mail it in/email it in to a central office, people wouldn't do it. Its too much "work". Something as serious as that, folks wouldn't take 5 seconds to fill out a form for. Why not for citizenship? Not just voting (which you actually have to do now, you have to go register) but citizenship in general. Basic Human Rights apply to everyone, but in a perfect world folks would value their citizenship if they earned the right to vote rather than "Lol I don't like black people" *Votes Republican*.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I always thought republicans were the ones more eager to vote. Liberals are always trying to prevent anyone from making voting harder. Even something basic and universal like requiring ID.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, DS9 in superior in every way.

Well...you're welcome to your opinion.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

As for earning citizenship, I think the bar should be something extremely low, but you should have to DO something. I bet if you made people get a license to say, have kids, or some stupid poo poo, and all you had to do was sign it and mail it in/email it in to a central office, people wouldn't do it. Its too much "work". Something as serious as that, folks wouldn't take 5 seconds to fill out a form for. Why not for citizenship? Not just voting (which you actually have to do now, you have to go register) but citizenship in general. Basic Human Rights apply to everyone, but in a perfect world folks would value their citizenship if they earned the right to vote rather than "Lol I don't like black people" *Votes Republican*.

I don't think your logic works here, because getting a driver's license is much more work than this and yet the vast majority of drivers have one, so I think people would manage to fill out the form.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

WampaLord posted:

I don't think your logic works here, because getting a driver's license is much more work than this and yet the vast majority of drivers have one, so I think people would manage to fill out the form.

it depends on how important they feel it is to them, a lot of people don't bother to vote in the US right?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

starkebn posted:

it depends on how important they feel it is to them, a lot of people don't bother to vote in the US right?

Half of the country doesn't vote, but there are many reasons for that beyond not wanting to be bothered

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

starkebn posted:

Sure, but there's no penalty for failing to vote, whereas not being a citizen would have shitload of drawbacks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I am not and I am extremely offended that you think I am. Maybe some of what I said aligns with their beliefs but in general I think they are just as deluded as the communists.
"I may agree with everything they say, but that doesn't mean I agree with them!"

Pick posted:

I think laziness is a worthless concept that only serves to dismiss those who have different priorities or feel disenfranchised.

I dislike spoiled rich trust fund kids as much as the next guy when they don't do anything worthwhile with the undeserved gift they got, but it's still the right of the parent to use the money as they see fit, even if they choose to spend it on their kid.
Rights only exist because we agree they exist.

if the government just seized the assets above a certain value of the deceased, that wouldn't be fair.
Why not? Their kids didn't earn it in any way.

sassassin posted:

It is very difficult/next to impossible to propose that a country repossesses people's assets when they feel they are undeserving of them/acquired them through unscrupulous means.
No it's not. All countries do that.

Jastiger posted:

If you already have to register to vote, what does this extra registration do? It's obviously not going to discourage those who already took the time to register to vote, so what is it you want to keep the "lazy" people from doing?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
By taking something else away. Say, non citizens not only cant vote, but pay higher taxes. Or dont get any say in government AT ALL. Like politicians can say "stfu I don't represent you"

That would grt people involved and make it valuable

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

"I may agree with everything they say, but that doesn't mean I agree with them!"

I don't, though, which you would know if you followed the discussion instead of jumping in the next day cherry picking quotes. Agreeing with some minor aspects of a political ideology does not mean you support the whole thing.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

WampaLord posted:

Sure, but there's no penalty for failing to vote,

There is, and he is called Trump.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

doverhog posted:

There is, and he is called Trump.

they shoulda voted for jeb, i tells ya

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jeb Bush is about to buy a baseball team. I'm sure he's happier doing that.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

sassassin posted:

It is very difficult/next to impossible to propose that a country repossesses people's assets when they feel they are undeserving of them/acquired them through unscrupulous means. I believe Germany tried something like that once and things got out of hand.

Increasing taxes for the rich is not 'next to impossible'. In fact, it's very simple. I'm not saying we should strip the assets of the wealthy, I'm saying that the wealthy should actually contribute to society in a fair way. For many multi-millionaires, a small tax bump wouldn't be noticed but could provide huge benefits to everyone else.

Distribution of wealth can't be left to a fully capitalist system. The 'invisible hand' principle relies on people acting rationally and in a non-corrupt manner. The government / military industrial complex cannot be trusted to act in the best (or even a reasonable) mannner.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Jastiger posted:

By taking something else away. Say, non citizens not only cant vote, but pay higher taxes. Or dont get any say in government AT ALL. Like politicians can say "stfu I don't represent you"

The Conservative Party seems to believe that immigrants who are not yet citizens shouldn't have the same rights as British citizens so I suppose this isn't too unprecedented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jastiger posted:

That would grt people involved and make it valuable

You're not going to drive off as many people as you think.

Also lmao at "pay higher taxes" because how much reported income do you think the hypothetical people who fail to fill out the citizen form are making? They're probably not big go-getters making six figures if they don't bother to fill out a form.

Again, hundreds of millions of people managed to get a driver's license, you are vastly underestimating the laziness/incompetence of the average citizen.

Finally, it goes without saying that the cost of implementing such a program would be way higher than any amount of "savings" we would get from kicking out these hypothetical lazy citizenship moochers.