Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
U19 continues to rank at the bottom. :rip:

Strangely, Spring Weapon No.1 has been doing a lot better but outside of the first chapter or two no one has really translated it. It's basically a gag/combat series with at least early on an emphasis on the gag part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Oh people think Magi is dragging itself out to death? That's fair. I only just caught up to it after years.
There were ups and downs, parts I had to slog through to get to parts I loved, I liked the evil wizard stuff, and when it looked like there'd be a trading company arc but it was mostly breezed over. Like if anything I wish the author would settle down, slow down, maybe give us another cool arc getting into a different country. My problem is that it felt like they were rushing towards the end, continually leaning in the more "cosmic" and pseudo philosophical direction and just making everything bigger and bigger. I wanted more dungeons, more adventuring, more world fleshing out, less gibberish and Djinn Equip battles (I'm sure they look cool in the anime but tbh reading the manga not a single one really ever enthused me, most of them just look messy to me, like just transforming into having a bunch of poo poo on you...the designs always felt too "busy" on the page for me and not really creative/original enough even for shonen).
Like for example when Alibaba came back, I thought the manga ka would have a whole trading/mercantilism arc, in that way you often see authors go "hmmm I have some vague knowledge about this specialized area, time to make an arc about it while discussing it in the broadest of terms". And like, they kinda did, but it was mostly breezed and rushed through so they could get to more gibberish about self determination and giant GOD level poo poo.
It just felt like at a certain point the series was just continually ramping and rushing to the end. I wanted more before the scale got all ridiculous. Really enjoyed the Wizard hitler arc.

I love Magi but I agree about the Djinn Equip battles being kind of lame. It's a shame because you could do a lot of really interesting and fun stuff with the concept, but in practice they mostly just let people shoot out powerful gently caress-off attacks.

I actually like how weird everything got with Sinbad and the big flashback arc. It can be hit or miss, but at least it's something fresh and unique for a shounen series.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fabricated posted:

U19 continues to rank at the bottom. :rip:

Stone does the whole political ethos thing a fuckton better and knows what pacing is.

U19 will only be missed as a whipping boy.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Alder posted:

Did anyone read Yamada and the Seven Witches? I stopped around CH 100 and since it's complete I wonder how it ended.

It really should've ended after they found all seven witches the first time

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Looper posted:

It really should've ended after they found all seven witches the first time

Agreed since then the entire premise just fell apart when the story kept going off the cliff.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
fuuuuuuuuckkk, birdmen is so good

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

its probably necessary but all the eden stuff is kinda boring

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TWIST FIST posted:

its probably necessary but all the eden stuff is kinda boring

Agreed, I still like the series but any time when I'm not with the main team feels boring.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So apparently the next chapter of Magi is the last

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jose posted:

Welp

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jose posted:

I mean it's been in the endgame/final battles for a little while, but that still feels incredibly abrupt.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I assumed that was just a confusing translation and what it actually meant was "this is the final arc" since it's obviously nowhere near finished.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 26, 2017

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jose posted:

It had a good run and there's still the Sinbad spinoff to consider if you wanted to read more about adventures.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
New Seven Deadly Sins out on CR and oh boy if this is a fake out I'ma be pissed

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ConanThe3rd posted:

New Seven Deadly Sins out on CR and oh boy if this is a fake out I'ma be pissed

Prepare to be disappointed. You're probably looking at the other seven deadly sins show that started this season. It's very lewd fanservice fluff.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Er. No I mean Manga chapter.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Anarcho-primitivists suck and are total bitch babies.

Oh and a new Dr. Stone out on mangastream.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 15:45 on May 2, 2017

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Anarcho-primitivists suck and are total bitch babies.

Oh and a new Dr. Stone out on mangastream.

:agreed:

See this is what I love in villains.

Tsukasa, whilst on the surface is somewhat reasonable given the post-apocalyptic nature of proceedings, is ultimately the most loving juvenile avatar of "Justice" I've ever seen in a comic. And that's in a magazine that ran death note.

ALso loving hell I lost it at this week's Black Clover, I don't know even half of what's going on (I'm only reading the GN's now after the LN arc wrapped up) but the situation comedy is strong.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 2, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Tsukasa is a retard.

Yeah, you're young and in perfect condition until you step on the wrong sharp rock or get bit by the wrong bug or touch the wrong thing while fishing. Or the first time you miscook your food and get dysentery and poo poo yourself to death pitifully because you failed to realize that mankind being intelligent tool users that constantly improve on those tools is the only reason we've survived the microscopic amount of geologic time we've been on this rock.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh he absolutely is coming up short in the picnic basket territory and I suspect if Dr Stone gets to that point he'll be punched in the face by an ever stronger regressive and made into that guy's bitch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
"the strongest japanese high school student" is a pretty worthless title. if some kid can beat up lions then there have to be even more ridiculous people out there.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
In other Jump news:

- Robot x Laserbeam is average. Though I'm loving the :geno: protagonist saying the most offensive things he could possibly say to people without even realizing it. (Kid's going to get himself in some real trouble sooner than later.)

- We Never Learn is fun. I especially liked the latest extra chapter. I dread the moment it'll become bogged down in Harem Manga tropes (because of course it will).

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mikl posted:

In other Jump news:

- Robot x Laserbeam is average. Though I'm loving the :geno: protagonist saying the most offensive things he could possibly say to people without even realizing it. (Kid's going to get himself in some real trouble sooner than later.)

*khhsshht*
We have confirmation of power levels
Repeat
Power levels are confirmed
Over
*khsht*

Oh and
"You must defeat the four heavenly kings in order to stand a chance"

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Promised Neverland 37

I really like this series, y'all.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Does this confirm that Ray is Isabella's biological son?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Silver2195 posted:

Does this confirm that Ray is Isabella's biological son?

I think that was made pretty clear, yes.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fabricated posted:

Tsukasa is a retard.

Yeah, you're young and in perfect condition until you step on the wrong sharp rock or get bit by the wrong bug or touch the wrong thing while fishing. Or the first time you miscook your food and get dysentery and poo poo yourself to death pitifully because you failed to realize that mankind being intelligent tool users that constantly improve on those tools is the only reason we've survived the microscopic amount of geologic time we've been on this rock.

Toothaches.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I want a goofus and gallant chapter mirroring senku and tsukasa.

Senku boils his water / Tsukasa shits himself to death
Senku fully cooks his wild pork / Tsukasa gets his brain eaten by parasites
Senku catalogues his mushrooms / Tsukasa runs off a cliff in a delirious fugue

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

Promised Neverland 37

It's very good.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
nice new chapter, really outshining any of the other shounen I'm reading right now

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

kidcoelacanth posted:

Promised Neverland 37

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yeahhh. Mama's flashback was really sad, but like, you get that it's a fitting punishment for the fact that she was rather selfish and gave up hope. A good lesson that doesn't whitewash the nasty cruel things she did but lets you see things from her perspective too.

This chapter was just fantastic, it feels like One Piece, how all of what transpired was simply a prologue to what's to come! I can't wait to see what they encounter next!!

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Hmmm. I'mma check back around chapter 50, and if it hasn't completely lost the plot after moving beyond the initial premise I'll give it a try.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck yeahhh. Mama's flashback was really sad, but like, you get that it's a fitting punishment for the fact that she was rather selfish and gave up hope. A good lesson that doesn't whitewash the nasty cruel things she did but lets you see things from her perspective too.

This chapter was just fantastic, it feels like One Piece, how all of what transpired was simply a prologue to what's to come! I can't wait to see what they encounter next!!

There's a time skip and then it shows the kids cannibalizing each other because they were unprepared to live off the land.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
There's a time skip and they've finally become chuunin.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

DrSunshine posted:

There's a time skip and they've finally become chuunin.

New Battle Manga, here I come :haw:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
On that point where are we on the U19 deadpool?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

:same:

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

ConanThe3rd posted:

On that point where are we on the U19 deadpool?
It'll be lucky if it makes it to 20 chapters.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Fabricated posted:

It'll be lucky if it makes it to 20 chapters.

We can only hope it keals over before then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I think U19 is 12 chapters right now, maybe 13.