Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
Nice. What varieties did you plant? I just put in two myself this spring, a Newtown pippin and an Arkansas black to cross-pollinate with the pippin my daughter grew from seed when she was 7 (She's 13 now).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Spartan, tydemans's late orange, Golden delicious and Cornish aromatic on m106 half standard. Also a prunus Royal burgundy cherry tree in the back garden on Colt stock. Other side there is a M9 dwarf Egremont Russet in the centre of a small bit of lawn. The apple trees are the same pollination group and the cherry is self fertile.

I really like two things, oriental poppies and apple trees so they are what the whole garden is based round. I got many plans but our weather is about to tank down to -2 in the night so it's all on hold till may. :(

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

learnincurve posted:

Four apple trees, on M106 rootstock and will grow 3-4m tall and wide, planted 4m from each other and 2m from the fence.

I got a cherry tree that promised that. It's now about 15 ft tall, I ought to cut it back...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Warning: this post contains a dull bit of blogging about trees.

Tree sellers tend to over symplify things and make it far worse by doing so. If anyone is wondering. You have your rootstock, they range from tiny container to full size. They then graft on a branch from the variety of tree they want. All they do is tape it on stake it with bamboo and leave it for a year, if you have a friend with an apple tree you like no matter the size it's far cheaper to buy the rootstock and just graft it on, failure rate is very low.

The problem is that it's all relative to the natural size and width of the tree you have grafted on. Take mine, the M106 is half standard so it will grow to half size. You have a tree like the golden delicious which can grow 8m high and wide then a half standard will be 4m high and wide, and it will still be shaped like a big ball. The tydemans grows to 7m high and is in a triangle shape. On Half standard this gives you a tree that you can easily prune down to 2.5m. Same rootstock, hell of a difference.

Tl:dr, look at a picture of a full size version of the tree you want and then choose your rootstock, if it's an enormous globe then get a smaller rootstock, if it's in a triangle then go bigger and prune as the bigger the rootstock the more anchored into the ground it will be.

robotindisguise
Mar 22, 2003
From what you just posted: it sounds like you're saying rootstocks have a fractional relationship with the scion. I thought they worked more like limiting max height/width by virtue of how large that root system grows. I suppose given how various species grow, there may not be a functional difference? Is this the same with most fruit trees?

Can you recommend a resource to read up on grafting?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I only know apples I'm afraid :) the RHS has a lot of information on rootstocks of all kinds and step by steps for grafting. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=443

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
My roses liked the extra rain we got here in Northern California.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The red sunflowers we planted are just starting to bloom. They are covered in buds too.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
UK goons: Warning! The weather is about to try and murder our baby plants. -5 overnight in some places and they think it will stay like this till Thursday.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Fozzy The Bear posted:

My roses liked the extra rain we got here in Northern California.

I'm also in Nor Cal. Question for you. Roses in containers on my north facing balcony: Horrible idea, or most horrible idea? Starting in early march, as the sun gets high enough over the roof, it gets an hour or two of sunlight, and in mid April right now, we get a few hours of morning and a few hours of afternoon sun. I'm not 100% sure since we moved in during Feb, but I believe it will get full sun in peak summer.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

cheese posted:

I'm also in Nor Cal. Question for you. Roses in containers on my north facing balcony: Horrible idea, or most horrible idea? Starting in early march, as the sun gets high enough over the roof, it gets an hour or two of sunlight, and in mid April right now, we get a few hours of morning and a few hours of afternoon sun. I'm not 100% sure since we moved in during Feb, but I believe it will get full sun in peak summer.

These roses are on the north-east facing side of my house, and only get about 4-6 hours of direct sunlight a day. They are half the size of roses I have on the other side of my house, but they still manage to look nice and bloom.

I would suggest each rose gets at least a 5 gallon (10 would be much better) container by itself.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 25, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

learnincurve posted:

UK goons: Warning! The weather is about to try and murder our baby plants. -5 overnight in some places and they think it will stay like this till Thursday.

I just planted out a bunch of babby plants over the weekend because it's almost May and was like 17 the other day :argh:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I got something like 150 baby plants in poly tunnels and another 20 in the ground. I haven't yet picked up the nerve to go look at them in case they are dead, I will cry if they are :(

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
Really hoping the epic deluge we just experienced didn't hurt the roots we just transplanted from our bleeding heart!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did you just have hail snow? We just had hail snow :( looks like there were a couple of casualties last night but 99% have made it, including all my veg seedlings in the allotment. I've bought a shitload of new seed trays and seeds because I will not be defeated by the British weather.

Oil of Paris
Feb 13, 2004

100% DIRTY

Nap Ghost
I'm in North Carolina, no hail but just an unusual torrential storm. The flooding made the news, pretty wild poo poo if you feel like looking it up. We didn't get hit nearly as bad as others since we are on top of a hill, but we still had standing water that couldn't drain for a couple days

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

MY ECHIVARA IS BLOOMING

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
I used to have a little garden plot that was left to the weeds and the previous owner's herbs, but I went on a roundup rampage, tore everything out, and planted a batch of flower seed mix. Stuff's coming up well now, and I'm pretty sure some weeds have returned, but I can't pick out friend from foe. Help! (click all for full size)

There's a lot of this fuzzy stalk things. Crab grass?

Some of the broadleafs are growing outside the bed, but that might just be over seed

More of the fuzzy stem distribution

The bag says its contents are:
* pheasant's eye
* sweet alyssum,
* pot marigold
* bachelor's button
* wallflower
* chinese houses
* dwarf morning glory
* tick seed
* chinese forget me not
* larkspur
* dragon rower
* california poppy
* gilia
* annual baby's breath
* candytuft
* baby snapdragon
* scarlet flax
* dwarf annual lupine
* virginia stock
* baby blue eyes
* fivespot
* flanders poppy
* black eyed susan
* annual soapwart
* silene
* crimson clover

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Apr 26, 2017

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

First pic is definitely grass.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Did you just have hail snow? We just had hail snow :( looks like there were a couple of casualties last night but 99% have made it, including all my veg seedlings in the allotment. I've bought a shitload of new seed trays and seeds because I will not be defeated by the British weather.

Stupid hail snow murdered a number of my plants :mad:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My blueberries are gone and I can see frost damage on one of my young azalea, I fear my Acer is dead and a couple of my baby plants which were in the poly tunnels seem to be no more. Only thing for it is to load up the propigators.

Wolf blanket was judging me hard for my cockiness.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

That is an amazingly judgmental blanket.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Well this is a thing that exists and you can pay actual money for...

http://www.hunterboots.com/womens-boots/womens-original-refined-high-heel-chelsea-boots/black/2118

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
One of my sundews grew a flower stem :kimchi:

It's been tipping back and forth for two weeks.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

That is an insanely tall D. madagascariensis!

My rotundifolia and filiformis are blooming right now. And one of my pots of pygmies, D. omissa x pulchella.

Pic of pygmy:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Um, I went down the other end of the huge several acre community garden I will be spending the next year fixing/making pretty....

There is a pond there, it's a basically a huge pit that's been dug out which in theory is being fed by a natural spring. There is no pond liner, and it hasn't rained for a while so the spring is a puddle, In a pit, filled with weeds.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Apr 29, 2017

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
Anyone have experience building planters for railings? We have a pretty small patio but we have a metal fence around it that has a flat top rail that is 1 3/4" wide. Big Box store planters all seem to be build for much wider wood railings. Ideally we would buy/create a system where we could put planters on both sides of the railing to massively increase our square footage. Something like this would let us attach planter boxes, but we would still need to buy the boxes and at 40 bucks a pair, those are some expensive brackets.

I was actually thinking about some kind of balanced system where the planter boxes on each side of the railing (front and back) are attached and balance each other, but there don't seem to be many examples of that out there.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Thank gently caress I found this thread.

What's a weed here and what's a plant? I'm happy knowing to leave the tulips.

I need to tidy this bed up.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Those are all plants. Hope that helps.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Those are all plants. Hope that helps.

But the dandelions are bad plants right?

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

eat the dandelions

cheese posted:

Anyone have experience building planters for railings? We have a pretty small patio but we have a metal fence around it that has a flat top rail that is 1 3/4" wide. Big Box store planters all seem to be build for much wider wood railings. Ideally we would buy/create a system where we could put planters on both sides of the railing to massively increase our square footage. Something like this would let us attach planter boxes, but we would still need to buy the boxes and at 40 bucks a pair, those are some expensive brackets.

I was actually thinking about some kind of balanced system where the planter boxes on each side of the railing (front and back) are attached and balance each other, but there don't seem to be many examples of that out there.

my parents have these individual brackets that hang over their ~1 inch metal railings and they use 2 for each long box planter, but I literally cannot find a picture of them anywhere?????? they seem sturdy and they don't require being screwed into anything, they just hang over the railing and support the box. I'll keep looking~

e: holy poo poo they're so expensive what the hell

http://www.sears.com/panacea-89058-...0&blockType=G20 ??????

I like the idea of doubling them up, a planter on each side of the railing. I hope you can find something suitable. we're going to be looking for similar things soon for our new apartment.

snoo fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 30, 2017

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

learnincurve posted:

Um, I went down the other end of the huge several acre community garden I will be spending the next year fixing/making pretty....

Very jealous. That will be lots of awesome, back breaking work.

Enjoy building a pond :v:

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Oodles posted:

But the dandelions are bad plants right?

The only bad plant is one that you don't want. Take out the plants you don't want, leave the ones you do want.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Oodles posted:

Beaten, but yeah, everything there is a plant. The only difference between a good plant and a bad (weed) plant is whether you want it there or not.

The Snoo posted:

eat the dandelions

my parents have these individual brackets that hang over their ~1 inch metal railings and they use 2 for each long box planter, but I literally cannot find a picture of them anywhere?????? they seem sturdy and they don't require being screwed into anything, they just hang over the railing and support the box. I'll keep looking~

e: holy poo poo they're so expensive what the hell

http://www.sears.com/panacea-89058-...0&blockType=G20 ??????

I like the idea of doubling them up, a planter on each side of the railing. I hope you can find something suitable. we're going to be looking for similar things soon for our new apartment.
Ya it would be pretty simple to double them up. I might make two tiered wood planters for the interior side of the railing, with the second, higher planter box at railing height. Then I would just need hooks/brackets for the exterior side (where I will hang bacopa, geraniums, whatever).

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Fozzy The Bear posted:

The only bad plant is one that you don't want. Take out the plants you don't want, leave the ones you do want.

Yup, I think I'm seeing some grass and a dandelion and a lot of ground covering plants. It's not that bad so far as invasive weeds go but If you don't like it then it's a weed to you.

I'll take pictures of the gardens. People have tried they really have but they are expanding so so much time and effort without the right tools, and missing out basic steps right at the beginning which has made maintaining the garden so much harder over the years. For example: It needs mowing with a ride on and then edges strimming as you would expect. But the tree planting method has been dig a hole in grass, put tree in..... Also there are no stakes and it's all on dwarf stock. My instinct is to say "gently caress that" and replace the trees, but they were bought with the money the founder left them when he died so guess who gets to do tree surgery and explore layering methods kids! Yay!

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

cheese posted:

Anyone have experience building planters for railings?
There are a lot of them for sale here, both single and double; maybe they could give you some inspiration. (Ignore the ones for wider railings.) I have the opposite problem in that my deck railings are too wide to upgrade to the ones I wanted here. :( And my planters are really shallow in the middle, such that the root portion of most nursery plants won't easily fit. It's going to take a lot of soil and watering to stay on top of them this year.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Hirayuki posted:

There are a lot of them for sale here, both single and double; maybe they could give you some inspiration. (Ignore the ones for wider railings.) I have the opposite problem in that my deck railings are too wide to upgrade to the ones I wanted here. :( And my planters are really shallow in the middle, such that the root portion of most nursery plants won't easily fit. It's going to take a lot of soil and watering to stay on top of them this year.
Yeah, was looking at those. Hard to find something with 10"+ depth though. I know that makes it heavy but 6-7" really limits what you can plant to annuals and herbs.

I think I may just end up building my own out of pressure treated fence boards - found a few pretty simple plans.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

cheese posted:

Yeah, was looking at those. Hard to find something with 10"+ depth though. I know that makes it heavy but 6-7" really limits what you can plant to annuals and herbs.

I think I may just end up building my own out of pressure treated fence boards - found a few pretty simple plans.

I'm in the same boat and that came to mind for me as well. Alternative suggestion: build a little shim that fits snugly OVER your metal railing that makes it the right size for something made for a deck railing. Like a few little wood 3/4 squares.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I made a video today about one of our Nepenthes greges, so I guess I'll post it here. This is a good video if you want to hear someone geek about about morphological variability in complex tropical pitcher plant hybrids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXwRPMobOEA

Cheston posted:

One of my sundews grew a flower stem :kimchi:

It's been tipping back and forth for two weeks.

Very cool! That's a pretty uncommon plant – where did you get it from?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

That is an insanely tall D. madagascariensis!

My rotundifolia and filiformis are blooming right now. And one of my pots of pygmies, D. omissa x pulchella.

Pic of pygmy:

Those are some good-looking pygmies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Oodles posted:

I see tulips, roses, lily of the valley and dandelions. I think I see red hot pokers behind the roses. I don't know the name of the little dusty white ones along the border, but they're not weeds. No idea about the tiny pink flowers or that bush among the tulips with compound leaves.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 1, 2017