Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

gettin real steamed at all these people poo poo-talkin' laserdisc as a format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Rusty Staub posted:

gettin real steamed at all these people poo poo-talkin' laserdisc as a format

I'm sure it was cool when all tvs were 4:3 screens and video tapes were the most commonly used video format.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LDs are cool if for no other reason than they have big 12" x 12" artwork that you can hang on your wall.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's like vinyl except for the disc itself having no redeeming qualities.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My dad still owns his Laserdisc player. In fact, the last time I took him record hunting, he found out the store had a bunch of LDs for $1, so he sat down on the floor in the middle of the aisle and proceeded to pick through every last one of them.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My dad still owns his Laserdisc player. In fact, the last time I took him record hunting, he found out the store had a bunch of LDs for $1, so he sat down on the floor in the middle of the aisle and proceeded to pick through every last one of them.

a good dad

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

A perfect dad assuming he eats sardines straight out of the can.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

I dodged a bullet since I asked for a DVD player in 2000 and went 50/50 with my parents.

A year earlier, I probably would have gotten into laserdisc instead.

Yeah but two decades later, nobody asks to see my DVD player, but plenty of people see my laserdisc player and ask what it is, and I say "oh that? That's my laserdisc player" and I explain to them what it is and then they say "wow, that's so cool, grandpa!"

So who's laughing now?

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
When I was a little kid I watched American Werewolf in London on an RCA videodisc.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Do you have the star wars LD?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Remember the Clerks commentary track where Kevin Smith poo poo talks the DVD format and proclaims Laserdisc the superior format?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Boinks posted:

Remember the Clerks commentary track where Kevin Smith poo poo talks the DVD format and proclaims Laserdisc the superior format?

And then years later rescinded his poo poo talking of DVDs, referring to it as "a fine format."

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Happy Hippo posted:

And then years later rescinded his poo poo talking of DVDs, referring to it as "a fine format."

Yep I think he took it all back during the Clerks X commentary.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

From a purely technical standpoint weren't laser discs much better than early DVD, quality wise? Better picture and sound and what not?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Vince MechMahon posted:

From a purely technical standpoint weren't laser discs much better than early DVD, quality wise? Better picture and sound and what not?
Nahhhh. It was close but DVD had a slight edge on LD. Laserdisc had 425 vertical lines of resolution, DVD had 480. Laserdisc had "uncomporessed" analog video vs DVD's compressed digital video. While DVD looked slightly better in most cases, the one advantage LD had was that they could have very busy shots like the HBO opening title and maintain quality while DVD would turn to mush.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Steve Yun posted:

Nahhhh. It was close but DVD had a slight edge on LD. Laserdisc had 425 vertical lines of resolution, DVD had 480. Laserdisc had "uncomporessed" analog video vs DVD's compressed digital video. While DVD looked slightly better in most cases, the one advantage LD had was that they could have very busy shots like the HBO opening title and maintain quality while DVD would turn to mush.

Fast forwarding on a laserdisc also kinda ruled as compared to DVD, as can be seen here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RufXzdt6Qhc&t=210s

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yes! I think I paid $500 for my first set top DVD player, because one of its advertised features was that it could show footage while fast forwarding!

I'm kind of curious how Prometheus looked on DVD. The scene where David puts on the goggles and watches Dr. Shaw's dreams in floating 3D pixels was insanely busy

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 27, 2017

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

Steve Yun posted:

Laserdisc had "uncomporessed" analog video

what's with the scare quotes pal

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Your dad is a proto-goon.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Spatulater bro! posted:

LDs are cool if for no other reason than they have big 12" x 12" artwork that you can hang on your wall.

the big ol' shiny disc is also pretty cool lookin

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
My favourite thing about Laserdisc is when you had to flip the disc over to keep watching the film. I have vivid memories of Disc 1 of Uncle Buck ending after he punches the clown, and then someone would have to get up and flip it over. Fun times.

Brexit the Frog
Aug 22, 2013

you had to flip early DVDs too
:goonsay:

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

The next thing I expect to learn from this thread is that you had to rewind them, too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rusty Staub posted:

you had to flip early DVDs too
:goonsay:
The Abbot and Costello collections all had flipper discs with a movie on each side. The only flipper I remember you needed to flip to watch an entire single film was The Man Who Would be King, which didn't make much sense since it's not that long. That didn't get remedied until the Blu-Ray came out.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 27, 2017

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Lots of films had to be flipped, even not especially long ones. The issue was dual-layered DVDs weren't a thing yet so they could only store 4.7 GB per side. The only one I owned the was first Seven release.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I remember when Jurassic Park 3 came out on DVD and there was this weird slight pause during the final Spinosaurus fight. We thought there was something wrong with the disc. It was years before I realized it was a dual layered DVD moving to the next later.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Detective No. 27 posted:

I remember when Jurassic Park 3 came out on DVD and there was this weird slight pause during the final Spinosaurus fight. We thought there was something wrong with the disc. It was years before I realized it was a dual layered DVD moving to the next later.

Layer changes on my old Sony player were the loving worst. They'd last at least a full 2 seconds. When they happened I'd get that momentary fear that the disc was defective. It got me every single time. It wasn't until years later that I realized some players are better at handling layer changes than others.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My parents didn't buy a DVD player until 2002 so apparently I missed out on a lot of the weird early poo poo. The first one we had bought had progressive scan so we never had any issues like that. It did crash if you tried to use the feature on the BTTF DVDs that was supposed to draw stuff on the screen while the movie played.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Behold, the oldest DVD I own. Just look at that terrible packaging.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Behold, the oldest DVD I own. Just look at that terrible packaging.

:popeye:

And I always thought those WB cardboard packages were horrid.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Potential damage to the disc aside, I actually think that packaging is pretty cool looking. A bunch of those lined up on a shelf would definitely scratch my OCD itch.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
The DVD of Das Boot I have came in a CD jewel case. Not sure what's up with that.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Iron Crowned posted:

I actually didn't mind them, they always kept the discs secure and the locking hinge was oddly satisfying. Their main problem was in stacking or lining them up because they'd warp easy and your shelf would look all :pwn:.

I think they were wider than standard cases too, so the spines stuck out.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Iron Crowned posted:

Newline and maybe a couple other studios used to use them too. I have tons of them. I never had a huge problem with them aside from one thing: on the shelf the case to the right of the snapper will often get hung up on its plastic latch. A nuisance.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Stephen King's IT was a cardboard flapper case and a double sided flipper.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Boinks posted:

Stephen King's IT was a cardboard flapper case and a double sided flipper.
It was a tv movie so that's not surprising.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I don't have my thrift store laserdisc player anymore but I do still have my Back to the Future trilogy, along with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II, Lethal Weapon 2, and Logan's Run. Back in college 2003-2007) I used to check laserdiscs out from the library like a goony weirdo.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I never owned a LD player but recently I've seriously considered buying one and some Criterion LDs. I'm just worried the novelty will wear off quickly.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Spatulater bro! posted:

I never owned a LD player but recently I've seriously considered buying one and some Criterion LDs. I'm just worried the novelty will wear off quickly.

It will. So very quickly. Plus unless you buy one of the few Squeeze LD titles that filled the 4:3 frame for use on 16:9 TVs, you're going to be watching cropped NTSC video. You're watching something that looks like garbage for no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I can't bear to spend any money on a video release that's pan & scan and I'm not spending $40+ on a single movie unless it's really special (like Napoleon or Lawrence of Arabia).

That's why I unrepentantly gave away more original trilogy tapes to a library since I'd rather watch the altered cuts than ever watch the films in anything but widescreen again.

By the way, Kino Lorber is releasing a 4K restoration of Rawhead Rex into theaters, then to Blu-Ray.

• Locked thread