Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I thought it was a Freud joke.

Nah, sometimes Le Cigar is just Le Cigar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Calaveron posted:

Also how all french restaurants had very odd names like The Flying Cigar, the Pig's Foot the Little Birds, and I think at one point the Monkey's Heart

Don't forget the best restaurant of all: Les Freres Heureux.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Cafe Nervosa wasn't totally just a plot device they had some continuity with the people who worked there.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Timby posted:

Don't forget the best restaurant of all: Les Freres Heureux.

That's probably the best episode of the series

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chromatic posted:

That's probably the best episode of the series

It's definitely up there. I'm also partial to The Ski Lodge, Bla-Z-Boy, Ham Radio, The Matchmaker, To Kill A Talking Bird, Travels With Martin, The Show Must Go Off, Room Service and the first vignette in Three Valentines (which is just an absolutely stunning showcase of David Hyde Pierce's skill for physical comedy).

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

Is post Niles-Daphne getting together frasier worth watching? I keep hearing it goes off the rails hard

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chromatic posted:

Is post Niles-Daphne getting together frasier worth watching? I keep hearing it goes offas the rails hard

Season 8 and especially 9 play up the melodrama way too goddamn much but there's still a lot of good stuff in them. 10 and 11 are a solid return to form.

Just skip any episode with Daphne's mom.

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

thanks

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Cafe Nervosa wasn't totally just a plot device they had some continuity with the people who worked there.

Yeah, there was a waiter who had shown up in the background since like season 3 and by season 10 Niles and Frasier would try to stump him with their esoteric and exotic coffee choices and he'd prepare them without missing a beat

Also the gossipy waitress that by next season Niles was dating

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Chromatic posted:

Is post Niles-Daphne getting together frasier worth watching? I keep hearing it goes off the rails hard

During first-time viewing it felt like there was​ a huge decline. In hindsight, although Niles & Daphne getting together was undeniably the peak, it still bowed out pretty gracefully compared to a lot of other sitcoms. It's all extremely watchable save for a small amount of absolute clunkers, and never ends up feeling like a totally different show. It just loses some spark since the subplot that kept 2 of the main characters interesting is over.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Lemming posted:

During first-time viewing it felt like there was​ a huge decline. In hindsight, although Niles & Daphne getting together was undeniably the peak, it still bowed out pretty gracefully compared to a lot of other sitcoms. It's all extremely watchable save for a small amount of absolute clunkers, and never ends up feeling like a totally different show. It just loses some spark since the subplot that kept 2 of the main characters interesting is over.

Grammer was on record during, I think, the tenth season, saying something like, "I remember when this show was funny, and I think we've lost our way" and, in fairness, that year was kind of rough (there's a three-parter about Niles having open-heart surgery that's absolutely unbearable, and another Lilith episode about her wanting a sperm donation from Frasier that's all sorts of :wtc:, and that's the year with that horrible parking garage episode) -- but even then, there are some all-time classics like the Halloween prank episode, Door Jam (the spa one), We Two Kings (probably the best Christmas episode they ever did, capped off by Martin's "Don't tell me there's no cocoa... :smith:") and the caviar farce episode. Really, the biggest thing about seasons 9 and 10 was that they were clearly missing the creative presence and guiding hand of David Angell, who died on 9/11. There's no way Angell would have had Gertrude Moon as a de facto main cast member for what felt like two years.

Edit: To put it another way, while there are some rough patches, Frasier never reached the lows of some shows like, say, How I Met Your Mother, where it felt like the producers actively hated their audience.

Timby fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 25, 2017

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Just rewatched the episode where he re-orders a coffee 7 times, he really is a pain in the rear end sometimes.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Oh dear God, Niles, regrettably I've again laughed so hard at my own dry wit that I've veritably shat my trou'. Thank you father, my poop does in fact smell of rosewater, how kind of you to make the observation. Daphne, kindly meet me in my bedroom immediately with a clean pair of dress pants of suitable color and weight. Also please bring Eddie, as I am confident that his rough yet willing tongue will swiftly remove all embarrassment.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Timby posted:

Edit: To put it another way, while there are some rough patches, Frasier never reached the lows of some shows like, say, How I Met Your Mother, where it felt like the producers actively hated their audience.

Or Everybody Loves Raymond, which simply became "Everybody Hates Each Other". Or The Office either right before Steve Carrell left, or right after, not sure which was worse.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

Or Everybody Loves Raymond, which simply became "Everybody Hates Each Other".
I'm not sure if it was a comedian or just my own worst thoughts, but couldn't that show really be called, "Man, why is Ray's wife such a bitch all the time?"

Their three children are never present and thus cared for elsewhere, she doesn't work, she hates his entire family, apparently can't cook, is always telling him to help clean their TV pretty house that she never cleans either. Just day drink and join some cheating wives book club like a healthy american.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I can't believe there's a thread about this show. Things to read that are more interesting than SA posts about Frasier: cover to cover reading of one of those 5 pound JC Penny catalogues from the 80's.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

I can't believe there's a thread about this show. Things to read that are more interesting than SA posts about Frasier: cover to cover reading of one of those 5 pound JC Penny catalogues from the 80's.

Congrats on your superior anime tastes

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
What do you think Lilith thought when she found bootleg copies of Vampire Hunter D, Bible Black and Ninja Scroll hidden under Frederick's bed

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Calaveron posted:

What do you think Lilith thought when she found bootleg copies of Vampire Hunter D, Bible Black and Ninja Scroll hidden under Frederick's bed

probably made him study japanese to read it in the original language

Fuck da Mods
Jun 27, 2013

fina get poz'd? :cabot: :gizz: :baby:
Frazier is the best show

Fastball LIVE in concert
Jul 10, 2010
I like the episode where Frasier and Niles join a car repair class and become the bad kids sitting at the back of the class.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Modern Family is another show where every single person hates everyone else

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Fastball LIVE in concert posted:

I like the episode where Frasier and Niles join a car repair class and become the bad kids sitting at the back of the class.
yeah that's one of the really good ones

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Le Cigar Volant!

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Le Cigar Volant!!

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Care Bear Stairs posted:

Le Cigar Volant!!

Remember when Frasier had sex with their pastry chef, but kept calling her another woman's name? Then Niles and him had to eat at other restaurants for awhile. I always liked it when the Crane men all cheered each other up when they were all having a bad day. Like the couple of times they all got broken up with on the same night, or when they all sat around watching home movies of their mother/wife on Martin's birthday.

Still Fluxing
Feb 14, 2013

A vision. A picture in my head. A picture of this.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Remember when Frasier had sex with their pastry chef, but kept calling her another woman's name? Then Niles and him had to eat at other restaurants for awhile. I always liked it when the Crane men all cheered each other up when they were all having a bad day. Like the couple of times they all got broken up with on the same night, or when they all sat around watching home movies of their mother/wife on Martin's birthday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcJdgHhQDL4

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
You and I have to broaden FAGGY CLAUSE's horizons; show him the world he's only read about.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
But where would we take him?

.... LE CIGAR VOLANT!!

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Only $28 for this "ironic" Frasier logo tee https://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shop/frasier-logo-tee

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Classic-Cotton-Men-Round-Collar-Short-Sleeve-T-Shirt-Top-Tee-Frasier-I-M-Listening-T/32785828769.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Frasier-TV-Show-Logo-Frasier-Crane-Licensed-Tee-Shirt-Adult-Sizes-S-3XL/32645260983.html

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

God, at that price I ought to be able to get a whole goat!

:iia:

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
what's the point of having the name on there, too obvious. better if it was just the skyline.

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Carpet posted:

what's the point of having the name on there, too obvious. better if it was just the skyline.

I would buy a bodysuit with the word "Frasier" printed all over it a billion times.

actually I'm surprised AliExpress isn't currently selling the exact item.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Commemorative plate: Frasier Crane Drooling While Eating.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The episode where Frasier buys an art and has a party but then the artist says the art isn't made by her.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

"sherry, Niles?"
"I'm gay"
*pours sherry*

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The episode where Frasier buys an art and has a party but then the artist says the art isn't made by her.

Or the time he dates an artist, but then she cuts off all her hair and stuffs a pillow with it and then he keeps banging her as they both howl at the full moon.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
People who dump on the episode in the parking garage screw you that ending with Roz accidentally revealing she slept with Frasier and the Fras unknowingly describing it as his adventure with the parking garage and Niles and Luith Guthman was the most Frasier thing ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

Solice Kirsk posted:

Or the time he dates an artist, but then she cuts off all her hair and stuffs a pillow with it and then he keeps banging her as they both howl at the full moon.

wasn't that that chick from house