Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

MiddleOne posted:

'But don't you get it, we are disruptive job creators, we are heroes dammit! We shouldn't have to fill out forms! :argh:'

This is so close to the truth it's ridiculous. I know a number of people from the expat scene coming here to workplaces without collective bargaining agreements, that are willing to spend $$$ in immigration lawyers to argue their way out of tjänstepensioner and workplace accident insurance.

At least from 2008, when the new work visa system came into effect, to 2014, when they realized there were a suspicious number of 19 kkr/month kebabtekniker jobs that couldn't be filled by Swedish/EU workforce, plenty of employers got away with offering jobs that no union would sign off on (a union statement is attached to the job offer which is attached to the work visa application). Probably since the Utlänningslagen is written so that you can offer a job with worse terms than the collective bargaining agreements as long as it follows "praxis inom yrket eller branschen."

Migrationsverket is stricter now, which means that lots of folks 2015-2016 having to renew 2 year work visas that they got before migget got its poo poo together are getting :byewhore: decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
när kommer det ett spotify för pizza

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Foodora, Uber Eats, Hungrig and all the other bazillion food delivery services that suddenly popped up over the last year kind of fill the Pizza-as-a-service role.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Collateral Damage posted:

Foodora, Uber Eats, Hungrig and all the other bazillion food delivery services that suddenly popped up over the last year kind of fill the Pizza-as-a-service role.

men uh vilka namn

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
En Service För Mig

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Collateral Damage posted:

and just in case anyone happened to have missed it, the reason they can do what they do is not the magic of ~technology~ nor ~startup disruption~, it's a combination of venture capital and paying their delivery staff unlivable wages

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

MiddleOne posted:

Spotify's founders have never struck me as anything but libertarian's too high on their success.

i know a couple of very early spotify people, they're libertarians all the way who don't want taxes or borders or regulation and can people stop picking on uber kthx.

seeing them argue with green MPs on facebook during election seasion is lol af

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

TheFluff posted:

and just in case anyone happened to have missed it, the reason they can do what they do is not the magic of ~technology~ nor ~startup disruption~, it's a combination of venture capital and paying their delivery staff unlivable wages

Well, it doesn't have to be unlivable wages ( unless you are in Stockholm).
There is a incubator just next door to my job, and the employment in general seems to be short term contracts and virtual companies. In one case I heard about a one month contract that was prolonged at the day of termination because the person was needed for another month. And this is in general for people with PhD.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

TheFluff posted:

Actually it's even simpler than that*, they're operating at a loss. Onlinepizza already tried this 4 years ago but as it turns out the reason delivery has always been and continues to be impossible as a business model in Sweden is because people are simply not willing to pay for the labour costs of the delivery. Unless you start paying the runners without paying taxes somehow the employment costs will never go below 200kr/hour. With an average of around two deliveries an hour in the industry that amounts to a 100kr per delivery which is a premium no one is willing to pay for to have their food delivered on a semi-regular basis. I'm sure the industry is lobbying fiercely to get food deliveries rolled into RUT but at the moment it's not happening. Wolt at least is trying to work around this with automatization in Finland (boxes on wheels to be specific) but Foodora and Uber Eats have no long-term plan.

*Their contracts are truly garbage though. They push the bare minimum of what Swedish laws allow and make Mcdonalds look like a good employer by comparison. The employment contract de-regulations of the Persson and Reinfeldt years really need to be looked over and rolled back.

Cardiac posted:

Well, it doesn't have to be unlivable wages ( unless you are in Stockholm).
There is a incubator just next door to my job, and the employment in general seems to be short term contracts and virtual companies. In one case I heard about a one month contract that was prolonged at the day of termination because the person was needed for another month. And this is in general for people with PhD.

Central Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö are the only places dense enough to even theoretically make their business models work so no they are unlivable. Also, the dis-functionality of employment contracts in academia for anyone without tenure shouldn't really be held as anything to strive for.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 24, 2017

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Central Stockholm, Gothenburg and Malmö are the only places dense enough to even theoretically make their business models work so no they are unlivable. Also, the dis-functionality of employment contracts in academia for anyone without tenure shouldn't really be held as anything to strive for.

To be clear, I was talking about the conditions at the local incubator, which is somewhat separate from your example.
They live on VC money, but the wages are enough to live on around here. It is after all cheaper than Stockholm.

Also, I wasn't talking about employment contracts in academia, but rather the employment contracts for people with PhDs. Don't get a PhD

BTW, don't get me started on employment contracts within academia.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I got a state/academia contract and it was just a single page saying "se arbeidsmiljøloven".

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Cardiac posted:

To be clear, I was talking about the conditions at the local incubator, which is somewhat separate from your example.
They live on VC money, but the wages are enough to live on around here. It is after all cheaper than Stockholm.

Then that's not really comparable to the bottom of the service ladder is it? It's not like the Foodora/Wolt/UberEats bicycler owns a stake in the business. They are just employees and should be compensated in accordance. :v:

If the examples you had in mind don't get shares then that is just depressing.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 24, 2017

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

TheFluff posted:

The foodora messengers I see around here always look *so* miserable, and I've never seen the same person riding twice.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

evil_bunnY posted:

The foodora messengers I see around here always look *so* miserable, and I've never seen the same person riding twice.

I hear they're organized and that their boss takes most of the money anyway.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Svartvit posted:

I hear they're organized and that their boss takes most of the money anyway.

Surely not:ohdear:

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

So the defense allegedly got "hacked" by Russian intelligence, which is to say, one or more people potentially located in Russia sent phishing mails and employees gave them full access to their mail servers. According to a report from the Center for Cyber Security, the department of the Defense Intelligence Services that handles all national surveillance and IT security, nobody bothered to change the passwords for a long time after it was discovered. I've said it before, but it bears repeating: Mogens Glistrup was right about one thing.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

SplitSoul posted:

I've said it before, but it bears repeating: Mogens Glistrup was right

:stare:

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well he was right about going to jail. I mean he resisted it but a man can't be perfect.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RE: the Spotify (and streaming in general) discussion on the previous page, apparently it's simply a case of the big record labels wanting to have their cake and eat it, too. As usual.

Streaming has boosted growth in the global music industry, to the fastest growth in 20 years.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7775019/ifpi-global-report-2017-music-industry-highest-revenue-growth-decades

quote:

At the end of 2016, there were 112 million paid music subscribers worldwide, according to the IFPI. When users of ad-supported streaming services are factored in, that number rises to 212 million, with total streaming revenues climbing 60 percent year-on-year to just over $3.9 billion. Streaming now makes up the majority (59 percent) of digital revenues, while digital (downloads and streaming) accounts for more than half of all record sales in 25 markets.

One hundred and twelve million people, each paying around :10bux: to :20bux: a month to access music, and a further one hundred million people still generating streaming revenue through ads. That is pretty drat solid.

Spotify is good, both for the music business and for the end users. And yet the big record labels continue to scream and moan about piracy.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 26, 2017

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

Spotify is good, both for the music business and for the end users.

Not for the artists though, to quote Ras Kass:
so here’s a clue
somebody just make $40,000,000 and it sho’ wasn’t you

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Alhazred posted:

Not for the artists though, to quote Ras Kass:
so here’s a clue
somebody just make $40,000,000 and it sho’ wasn’t you

That's not the fault of Spotify, that's fault of the major labels.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

That's not the fault of Spotify, that's fault of the major labels.

That's not completely true: http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/7/9861372/spotify-year-in-review-artist-payment-royalties

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Spotify basically has Leon Rosselson's entire catalogue, so they'll be last against the wall.

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

I read that article and followed the links and I found out that 70% of the revenue goes to the labels along with other currency such as ad space, and that Spotify keep 15% of ad revenue. I also read that Spotify pays advance installments of millions of dollars and that this money isn't likely to end up in an artists' pocket. It still feels like it's the labels that's holding money back.

Also, the "what if they bought the album instead" argument is still as dumb as it was in 2002. Speaking of which, what profit margin did the record store have? Higher or lower that Spotify, or about the same?

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth
"According to its financial disclosures, the majority of Spotify’s revenue, around 80 percent, has been flowing out the door to the rights holders. "You can’t squeeze blood from a stone," said David Pakman, the former CEO of eMusic and partner at Venrock. "Your beef can’t be with Spotify anymore." At least not with Spotify alone."

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Svartvit posted:

"According to its financial disclosures, the majority of Spotify’s revenue, around 80 percent, has been flowing out the door to the rights holders. "You can’t squeeze blood from a stone," said David Pakman, the former CEO of eMusic and partner at Venrock. "Your beef can’t be with Spotify anymore." At least not with Spotify alone."

And my beef isn't with spotify alone. but spotify still isn't paying that much to the rights holders (which means that the artists themselves gets even less). You have to be an artist like Drake or Rihanna to actually make money by being on spotify.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

And my beef isn't with spotify alone. but spotify still isn't paying that much to the rights holders (which means that the artists themselves gets even less). You have to be an artist like Drake or Rihanna to actually make money by being on spotify.

No, you have to be Drake or Rhianna to make more than 70 million per year from Spotify as per that article. And it is pretty dumb to think that just because you are a random folk-pop artist you deserve to get paid in similar amounts by Spotify. Spotify is not supposed to generate the bulk of income for the vast majority of artists, it is supposed to be one revenue stream out of several and a way to spread your work so that you can get a positive multiplier on other revenue streams. Not every genre or artist is fit for the kind of economy of scale that Spotify embodies, just as IKEA is not the place to go if you want personal or custom furniture.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Jag jobbade på Gröna Lund hela dagen, men ser ut som det varit en hel del folk på gatorna idag. Kul att se. Kampen fortsätter etc.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Look at these adorable fashies with their tucked in ties and riot shields :3:

We might even get some in Norway this summer! Yay!

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Singular May 1st political proposal from the Social Democrats: Let's have concentration/rape camps for refugees like the Australians do.

Also, the four perpetrators in the molotov case were released today. The prosecutor is seeking time served and one year probation for setting a person on fire. I'm having to read about it in local newspapers.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 2, 2017

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

murphyslaw posted:

Homosocialt

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

murphyslaw posted:

Those guys look like the biggest fools ever. If you're a loving nazi party you don't skimp on the uniforms. What is this? Are they sponsored by Dressmann or something?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
You can't make being a nazi exciting and sexy because only dweebs want to be nazis

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.
Front row Alexander Bard looking mighty pissed

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Wild Horses posted:

You can't make being a nazi exciting and sexy because only dweebs want to be nazis

Any movement that managed to mythologize a short failed painter has something going for it.

Also, I don't know whether to find it amusing or sad that our current wave of fascists are directly emulating the style proposed as a authoritarian movement starter in The Wave and the original social experiment. Something something death of satire.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Any movement that managed to mythologize a short failed painter has something going for it.

Also, I don't know whether to find it amusing or sad that our current wave of fascists are directly emulating the style proposed as a authoritarian movement starter in The Wave and the original social experiment. Something something death of satire.

You are saying Marx was wrong with his quote:
"History repeats itself first as tragedy, then as farce"?
Or maybe we are in the tragedy repeat?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SplitSoul posted:

Also, the four perpetrators in the molotov case were released today. The prosecutor is seeking time served and one year probation for setting a person on fire. I'm having to read about it in local newspapers.
God loving damnit

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

evil_bunnY posted:

God loving damnit

The courts and the cops tend to be on the side of the fash, somehow.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

evil_bunnY posted:

God loving damnit

Don't worry, they'll probably not get an entire year of probation, and there's still the possibility of a reduced sentence due their ages. Remember that it was only​ an Afghan and the police ruled out racist motives within the first 12 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Where is that gif of Bugs Bunny sawing off Florida Denmark when you need it?

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 2, 2017