Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

:10bux: says this goes the same route as his muslim bans

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

HappyHippo posted:

My take on the amensty thing is that they're trying to avoid a free for all before the law is in place. Trying to be all "the law is the law until we change it" isn't going to work if you talk up amensty happening as well, you'd basically be inviting people to break the law anyway knowing they'd be pardoned in a few months. Then they'll pass an amnesty for simple possession after they legalize.

I mean, I know it's not working and people are blatantly ignoring the law anyway, but that's what I think they're trying to do. He basically hinted at just that:

Why couldn't they decriminalize possession while they work on legislation to legalize sale/distribution etc?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

lol He's bluffing. :toxx:

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I just checked and NAFTA doesn't have anything to do with why cheese is so expensive so I don't care if it goes or stays.

Someone needs to do something about these cheese prices.

I demand action.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

lol He's bluffing. :toxx:

e: In the sense that even if he signs such an EO it doesn't actually do anything

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I don't think he can withdraw on an Executive Order, he needs Congressional approval to do so

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It is a ratified treaty, doesn't it require congress to pull the trigger on it?

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
If the U.S. did withdraw from NAFTA how would that effect CAD - USD exchange rate?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
He's trying to bully Canada for trade leverage. Pulling out of NAFTA would gently caress over the US as badly as Canada/Mexico. Maybe worse, because their economy is bigger.

e: Even Trump understands this.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

ocrumsprug posted:

It is a ratified treaty, doesn't it require congress to pull the trigger on it?

Seems like it. This is posturing to try and force Canada/Mexico into concessions of some kind or other. Also I guess it could affect confidence in various markets.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

If the U.S. did withdraw from NAFTA how would that effect CAD - USD exchange rate?

If they did it would probably result in huge tariffs on both sides of the border and likely tank a whole bunch of economies so :shrug: who knows?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

According to USPol the President actually has the power to kill NAFTA by themselves lol

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

According to USPol the President actually has the power to kill NAFTA by themselves lol

welp:

quote:

NAFTA did not specify who is supposed to give notice on behalf of the U.S. or how that decision is to be reached. While Congress passed a number of bills in order to implement NAFTA, under the U.S. Constitution, the president, not Congress, has power over foreign policy. Thus, it is generally accepted that only the president is authorized to give notice on behalf of the U.S. to terminate a treaty or trade agreement, such as NAFTA.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

BC Green leader Andrew Weaver is mad at teachers for daring to have opinions in public

https://twitter.com/AJWVictoriaBC/status/857123850982707201

(Also, tweeting at midnight before a debate)

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Apr 26, 2017

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Duck Rodgers posted:

Why couldn't they decriminalize possession while they work on legislation to legalize sale/distribution etc?

I'm not trying to defend the approach, I just think that's what they're thinking

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

'Canadian Trump' status:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/857282827586588682

ROFLMAO

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

ahaahhaahha

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

So who wins now? Leitch, Scheer, Bernier or O'Toole?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

DariusLikewise posted:

So who wins now? Leitch, Scheer, Bernier or O'Toole?

Aaron Rodgers.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Trudeau

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

CLAM DOWN posted:

ahaahhaahha

Whelp, one SA cert comin up for ya.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Decriminalizing marijuana when the only real supplier network is criminal is a not a good idea.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

If it's illegal the supplier network must necessarily be criminal but I see what you meant :)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jordan7hm posted:

Decriminalizing marijuana when the only real supplier network is criminal is a not a good idea.

Once it's decriminalized they won't be criminals any more!

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Fallen Hamprince posted:

'Canadian Trump' status:

lol

I'm shocked lost interest after realizing he'd actually have to be in Canada occasionally, CBC says it's because he doesn't think he can beat Trudeau.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Trudeau is a better conservative candidate than O'Leary.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Also hooo boy is this going to piss off his supporters, possibly to the point they blame the CPC and vote Liberal. Or maybe they won't vote at all. He couldn't have given Trudeau a finer gift :v:

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
On the other hand if the poo poo hits the fan economy wise and the Libs keep libbing it may hand the victory to an even worse CPC candidate like Kellie Literally a Lich

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
The G&M interview he gives when he announces his withdrawal has some amusing quotes:

quote:

Mr. O’Leary said he first met with Mr. Bernier at his cottage in June, when Mr. Bernier asked for his endorsement, and the two have worked on policies together.

“He was consistent in his belief that I could not garner major support in Quebec and I didn’t believe him. I felt that because I was born in Montreal I could get up to 25 per cent in Quebec. That I could deliver 20 seats, maybe. That’s clear it’s not going to happen,” Mr. O’Leary said.

quote:

“It’s clear to everybody this is not about Kevin O’Leary. This is about winning. And so, if this was about Kevin O’Leary, I’d stay in this thing, win the leadership race, and not worry about the fact I can’t deliver Quebec,” he said.

quote:

When asked if he had low support in Quebec because he doesn’t speak fluent French, Mr. O’Leary said, “Defining Quebec is…they’re the Florida of Canada. They often decide who wins an election.”

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Kevin O'Leary thinking of what it actually means to campaign and be a politician full-time:

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Duck Rodgers posted:

Im kinda glad they haven't gone this route as inevitably after enough consultation and pilot projects they would have just thrown up their arms and just kept it at decriminalization alone. Atleast this way it looks like you can buy a few grams of weed at the LCBO in 2 years.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Amazing.

https://twitter.com/alexboutilier/status/857299082653687808

The drop-out candidate is going to get more votes than some of the actual candidates.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

patonthebach posted:

Im kinda glad they haven't gone this route as inevitably after enough consultation and pilot projects they would have just thrown up their arms and just kept it at decriminalization alone. Atleast this way it looks like you can buy a few grams of weed at the LCBO in 2 years.

You seriously believe it's ever getting done, let alone in 2 years?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Why would any Conservative vote for anyone other than Lietch at this point? If they want conservative policies but don't hate muslims, they can just vote to keep the Liberals in power. Aside from xenophobia, what can the CPC offer anyone?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jimbozig posted:

Why would any Conservative vote for anyone other than Lietch at this point? If they want conservative policies but don't hate muslims, they can just vote to keep the Liberals in power. Aside from xenophobia, what can the CPC offer anyone?

Cheaper cheese, possibly.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Red pills and libertarians. Sign up today for Bernier!

patonthebach
Aug 22, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

You seriously believe it's ever getting done, let alone in 2 years?

If they took bets on it online, Id wager a ton at even money that you can buy pot in some provinces in stores legally by the end of 2019.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Jimbozig posted:

Have you spoken to any conservative ever? They hate Trudeau, he's one of those smug latte sipping big city liberal elites. Voters don't really care about policies or issues.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Only jaded cynical leftists and bitter dippers think justin is centrist or believe the whole "liberals campaign from the left, govern from the right" thing. For a lot of liberal voters justin is a bastion of progressive politics but he's just realistic and the liberals have experience unlike the NDP who would tank the economy and oh my gosh I'm just so proud of our handsome progressive PM. For conservatives though they take to heart every empty "progressive" thing justin says as evidence he's a full on marxist who wants to force all kids to be trans.

Much in the way a lot of NPD folks I know don't see a huge difference between the liberals and conservatives when it comes to their actual policies outside of a few social issues, conservatives don't see a lot of difference between the NDP and LIberals other than a few economic issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Why isn't Chong considered? Is it because his policies are kinda sane?