Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Honestly just get a PS4 if you like RPGs. The PS3 finally stopped making GBS threads em out and no matter how well the switch ends up doing, I dont see it matching the PS4 in either quantity or quality.

Also get a Vita for the same reason, seriously Im one great game away from considering the Vita a better console than the PS2, and Utawarerumono is coming out in a month.

I like Ryuji, but the game hasn't had any real broship scenes. Heh ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kanji did roughly the same damage with two Primal Forces that Chie did with one Power Charged God Hand, along with significantly more health and Matarukaja, so saying he was bad in the original is somewhat silly as he's overall better than her, especially during her giant dead stretch in the middle of the game. Him gaining Power Charge in Golden certainly didn't help her either, though she became significantly better as well.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Lord Koth posted:

Kanji did roughly the same damage with two Primal Forces that Chie did with one Power Charged God Hand, along with significantly more health and Matarukaja, so saying he was bad in the original is somewhat silly as he's overall better than her, especially during her giant dead stretch in the middle of the game. Him gaining Power Charge in Golden certainly didn't help her either, though she became significantly better as well.

Thank you :hfive:

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Y'know, as the Persona designs keep getting cooler and more on-the-nose with their thematic relevance in each game, it just seems increasingly weird that they're still reusing so many designs for the enemies and rank-n-file Personas from the SMT-era games.

Like, okay, cool, Kamoshida's castle has a bunch of Shadow-knights, that makes sense... and then SPLOOOSH they turn into Pixies and Pyro Jacks from a loving 25-year-old SNES game. And I bet our poor protagonist is going to get stuck with at least one or two Personas that are as underwhelming as the Mitama(s) from 3 & 4. Are they doing it to maintain kind-of-the-last real link to mainline SMT? Purely out of a sense of tradition? It can't be strictly to save by reusing assets (at least, not any more).

(thank you to everyone who answered my earlier question, btw; I'll check some of those out)

Ghost of Starman fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 26, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Power Charge is 2.5x, so even with Kanji's better stats not having Power Charge made him straight-up irrelevant even if Chie was useless for the middle third of the game.

I used him anyway because he's my favorite character, but still.

Of course, Golden fixing this just means there's no reason to ever pick Chie over him, so it's busted either way :v:

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ghost of Starman posted:

Like, okay, cool, Kamoshida's castle has a bunch of Shadow-knights, that makes sense... and then SPLOOOSH they turn into Pixies and Pyro Jacks from a loving 25-year-old SNES game. And I bet our poor protagonist is going to get stuck with at least one or two Personas that are as underwhelming as the Mitama(s) from 3 & 4. Are they doing it to maintain kind-of-the-last real link to mainline SMT? Purely out of a sense of tradition? It can't be strictly to save by reusing assets (at least, not any more).

One of the disadvantages of a LP, screenshot or otherwise, is that some of the detail work is missed. For instance, from the enemies we've seen thus far, Incubus has a few really cool details in the model, and the HD models are overall pretty lovingly detailed. A few get updates, but I do think it's a tradition thing, though its important to remember that enemies in previous games had more "weird" designs since Persona 3's take on Shadows. Persona 5 does though feel like the most Shin Megami Tensei of the modern Persona games, for a lot of reasons, while also putting its own personal stamp as you noted with its strong thematic design.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

dasmause posted:

Also fun fact: due to bug or something, MC has two of the same starter gun

My understanding was that Maaku starts with a gun equipped (like everyone else; he just can't use it or look at it before the tutorial), but Ryuji also gives you a gun in the cutscene, which actually enters your inventory. So you end up with two guns.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.
What I like about Persona 5 is that the designers seemed to have taken special care in insuring that every single member is viable for some reason. Because sure, while Ryuji's magic is essentially just there to hit weaknesses, he's still the biggest tank in the game by far and can absolutely wreck faces with his physical attacks.

And yeah, while it's obviously jumping the gun to go into the particulars of Ryuji's character, I do sympathize with his inability to grasp the weirdness around him. He's your average high school roughneck thrown into a bizarre nightmare world where the rules of reality only tangentially matter. Think about it. Every step is making splashes of bright paint appear, suits of armor are turning into pumpkin magicians, and your teacher is chasing you down in nothing but a speedo and a cape. If anything, these kids are taking the whole thing surprisingly in stride.

Blademaster_Aio
Jan 22, 2017

Ryuji is one of my favourite characters.

Also Kamoshida broke his leg.

I'm pretty sure at this point I wanted to smash Kamoshida's face in. And the game does it's absolute best to maintain this feeling.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

mauman posted:

I specifically bought a PS4 for this game.

Suck it up and pay the piper......

Easier said than done I know :negative:

Eh, that's fair, but I only asked because I heard a rumor it was getting ported. If not, that's how it goes.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

An important detail is that every single one of these has a lovingly animated 3D model. Its really nice and makes even the weird and ugly ones fun to look at usually. Also no 2D portraits for them anymore gets rid of the weird clashing of styles, then again I dislike Kanekos art a decent amount so thats probably a minus for others.
I cant wait to see Mara and the rest of the chick Personas after Succubus looked so good.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blademaster_Aio posted:

I'm pretty sure at this point I wanted to smash Kamoshida's face in. And the game does it's absolute best to maintain this feeling.

Me too. Of course by the end of the dungeon I wanted to do much worse to the bastard.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So if I'm getting what we've seen so far, the conceit of this game is that you're mystical robbers who invade the mental castles of assholes and then rummage through their secrets to expose their hypocrisy and villainy to the real world? Is that what's going on here?

I think I'll be picking this one up sometime after all.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Captain Kidd has a fantastic design. Honestly, most of the new Personas look really good.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Night10194 posted:

So if I'm getting what we've seen so far, the conceit of this game is that you're mystical robbers who invade the mental castles of assholes and then rummage through their secrets to expose their hypocrisy and villainy to the real world? Is that what's going on here?

That's the long and short of it, yeah! It's a very good game.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I just finished my first playthrough of this, and it's probably one of my top ten games of all time. It's an utterly fantastic game and I'm gonna be following intensely.

I'll be interested to see how you handle the last couple dungeons as they're hard as hell.

Rawkking
Sep 4, 2011

Blademaster_Aio posted:

Learning about that and looking at the earlier dialogue (actually I just saw the earlier kamoshida dialogue again cause of viewing the other LP's video but yeah), just... drat. Kamoshida's line roughly saying "Well let's just say we're both to blame." when the counselor and kamoshida are chewing out Ryuuji with the track team being mentioned, Kamoshida's not being faux humble, he's twisting the knife, gloating at how little power Ryuuji has to stop him.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Ghost of Starman posted:

Y'know, as the Persona designs keep getting cooler and more on-the-nose with their thematic relevance in each game, it just seems increasingly weird that they're still reusing so many designs for the enemies and rank-n-file Personas from the SMT-era games.

(thank you to everyone who answered my earlier question, btw; I'll check some of those out)

Hold on, is someone ACTUALLY complaining that enemies this time are classic SMT demons? Now I've seen everything.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
Finally caught up with the LP and I'm excited to see where you go with this. Also, lol:

Arist posted:

Oh no, Ms. Kawakami’s class! I got so caught up in what I was doing I forgot all about it! She’s gonna kill me.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Night10194 posted:

You forgot the shonen staple of, beating their soul body till they turn over a new leaf. Hooray character reforming violence!

I assume it was a purposeful twist on that joke rather than a strange result of being exactly that. Then again Adachis ultimate fate...

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 26, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

MythosDragon posted:

You forgot the shonen stable of,

Probably because it hasn't come up in the LP, buddy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

Ir’s like that every day here. What’s more, you two escaped yesterday. He must have lost his temper quite a bit.

Itty bitty little typo there.

Is Captain Kidd's voice actor Izaya from Durarara? Sounded like him to me.

GunnerJ posted:

Probably because it hasn't come up in the LP, buddy.

That's kinda how recruiting new party members went in 4, honestly.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

RareAcumen posted:

That's kinda how recruiting new party members went in 4, honestly.

A weird spin on the Touhou approach of "beat people up to make them your friends".

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

A weird spin on the Touhou approach of "beat people up to make them your friends".

Are you actually familiar with 4 and just making a joke or no? Because I could easily make a rundown post that's too sparse and inspire two pages of corrections, if not.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RareAcumen posted:

Is Captain Kidd's voice actor Izaya from Durarara? Sounded like him to me.

He's not Johnny Yong Bosch, no. It's still Max Mittelman. I don't love his Kidd voice but it's fine.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 26, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arist posted:

He's not Johnny Yong Bosch, no. It's still Max Mittelman. I don't love his Kidd voice but it's fine.

Oh wow, I totally misread the update. I thought Max Mittleman was Ryuji, not Kidd.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

RareAcumen posted:

Oh wow, I totally misread the update. I thought Max Mittleman was Ryuji, not Kidd.

All the Personas ware voiced by the VAs of their respective party members. I assume part of the reason Morgana doesn't get an Awakening (which is still a bummer) is because even in Japanese he's voiced by a woman (Ikue Ōtani, which I forgot to include in the update), as interesting as it would be to try and see their Zorro voice.

e: also I just changed the update to make it a bit clearer.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 26, 2017

Delirare
Sep 27, 2015
Could someone please explain how Captain Kidd fits the whole gentleman thief theme please? When I saw pirate I was hoping for Stoertebeker a bit.

And did they really go for the Puss in Boots-Zorro-thing?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Delirare posted:

Oh, god dammit. :doh:

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Delirare posted:

Could someone please explain how Captain Kidd fits the whole gentleman thief theme please? When I saw pirate I was hoping for Stoertebeker a bit.

'Gentlemen thief' is really only the theme for the protagonist. Each party member has their own thing. For the party as a whole, I'd put the theme as, like, 'puckish rogues' or something.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Yeah, it's not really gentlemanliness that defines the party as a whole, it's rebellion against authority. Not ndcessarily corrupt authority, either. So really, in Ryuji's case, any pirate would have done.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Captain Kidd is significant because he was betrayed by the authorities (he was a privateer who was sold out by his employers). This connects him to Ryuji who was betrayed by his coach.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Clarste posted:

Captain Kidd is significant because he was betrayed by the authorities (he was a privateer who was sold out by his employers). This connects him to Ryuji who was betrayed by his coach.

I mean to be fair his crew that he adored was a bunch of shitheels who stole things under his nose so he was branded a pirate, unaware of anything until he got back to New York.

Bliss Authority
Jul 6, 2011

I'm not saying it was witches

but it was witches

Clarste posted:

This and the One Piece connection are probably Ryuji got him instead of, say, Bluebeard.

Blackunknown
Oct 18, 2013

Bliss Authority posted:

This and the One Piece connection are probably Ryuji got him instead of, say, Bluebeard.

I think you mean Blackbeard, Bluebeard is Gilles de Rais a companion in arms of Joan of Arc, notable child killer, and not a pirate. Though that does make me wonder if there ever was a Joan of Arc demon in the SMT series.

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:

Blackunknown posted:

Though that does make me wonder if there ever was a Joan of Arc demon in the SMT series.

There sure was!

She is weak to fire for she was burned at the stake you see.

mojitomojitoman
Apr 27, 2017
I feel like Morgana and Igor are in cahoots. All that talk of palaces and thievery...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I mean to be fair his crew that he adored was a bunch of shitheels who stole things under his nose so he was branded a pirate, unaware of anything until he got back to New York.

"Your name's already ruined, so why not hoist the flag and wreck some havoc?"

Alexey
Feb 15, 2012

Delirare posted:

Is there some connection I am missing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Alexey posted:

Is there some connection I am missing?
Antonio Banderas played the character Zorro in the 1998 film "The Mask of Zorro" alongside Sir Anthony Hopkins. He then went on to play Puss In Boots for the Shrek films.