Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Even if your UI had the best design in the world, users still love making their phones their own. Samsung's built in theme support will be seen by the average user as an advantage, and if Google is serious about selling Pixels, it has to close every gap, whether it's real or perceived.

I know Apple has a lot of trouble moving iPhones.

In all seriousness though, it kind of depends on whether Google really is serious about moving Pixels and if they in fact are, does that endanger their relationship with Samsung (the other OEMs don't really matter)? The whole problem with competing with your partners is that you can be too successful and there's a distinction about not matching "the competition" feature for feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

In all seriousness though, it kind of depends on whether Google really is serious about moving Pixels and if they in fact are, does that endanger their relationship with Samsung (the other OEMs don't really matter)? The whole problem with competing with your partners is that you can be too successful and there's a distinction about not matching "the competition" feature for feature.

Well my second theory is that native theme support is being added to make it easier for Samsung to implement themes in their phones.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

LastInLine posted:

Google was pretty much forced to sell Motorola so you have your answer, they are 100% in Samsung control. And it is their fault from the beginning to not require google or android branding to phones, when they started requiring it was already too late, most people get "a samsung" the system it is running on them is irrelevant for them as for various years they got the idea from samsung that was samsung's system that just happened to have the play store.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Well my second theory is that native theme support is being added to make it easier for Samsung to implement themes in their phones.

This is my pet theory as well.

Celexi posted:

Google was pretty much forced to sell Motorola so you have your answer, they are 100% in Samsung control. And it is their fault from the beginning to not require google or android branding to phones, when they started requiring it was already too late, most people get "a samsung" the system it is running on them is irrelevant for them as for various years they got the idea from samsung that was samsung's system that just happened to have the play store.

The dynamic's shifted a bit since then even if sales splits between OEMs have not. Samsung used to be in a position where they could eventually shift to Tizen but now they'd have a lot tougher time. Their reputation certainly isn't where it was then and now that people have actually seen Tizen up close it's fairly obvious that the threat of leaving was quite overblown. We know now that Tizen is literally garbage and Samsung would sink fast if they tried to hoe their own row.

Either way, Google obviously feels somewhat more comfortable with things because the Pixel really is directly competing with OEMs in a way that their previous devices and Motorola never was. It may also be that in those conciliatory talks with Samsung it was made fairly clear that Android wasn't going to be Samsung controlling 80%+ of the western Android market and no one else and that they were just going to have to settle for somewhere lower. (Honestly I'd guess Samsung to have even more than 80% but we don't have good figures or if we do I haven't seen them.)

I know the view from inside Google is different on the Motorola acquisition but I can't help but feel after the patents proved FRAND-encumbered and Samsung threw a hissy fit, they were happy to just be rid of Motorola's baggage once Lenovo came knocking. That said, Google isn't exactly a company that plays 12 dimensional chess and they might not have thought anything through at all and are just doing what they like in the moment. I'd believe either interpretation.

It's important to remember that a Samsung sale is a Google win as long as Google is on the devices that Samsung sells. What Google has been explicit about is that Pixel is a phone for iOS conquests and I'd wager most iOS users have tried and subsequently disregarded Samsung as an option so I expect Google to hew close to that line and try to keep the Pixel closer to iPhone-like and farther from Samsung-like. I'm sure that's why Google would say to Samsung that the Pixel isn't a Galaxy S8 competitor, it's an iPhone competitor.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

gently caress 'em up, LastInLine

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I dunno how representative AppBrain is, but I bet it's pretty good. They have Samsung with 50% of the market. Google doesn't show up, so they might be lumped in with HTC.

https://www.appbrain.com/stats/top-manufacturers

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

I dunno how representative AppBrain is, but I bet it's pretty good. They have Samsung with 50% of the market. Google doesn't show up, so they might be lumped in with HTC.

Why are Motorola and Lenovo listed separately? I thought Motorola was Lenovo now.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Endless Mike posted:

You have to use Appbrain to be represented here so I wouldn't gauge it as representative at all.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

vyst posted:

You have to use Appbrain to be represented here so I wouldn't gauge it as representative at all.

It's an ad network used by many popular apps, not a single app you have to specifically download.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
According to 2016 Gartner data, Samsung had 20.5% of the global market share, which is more than the next three Android OEMs combined. Only Apple came close with 14.4%. Android was the OS of choice with an 80% share.

I forgot where I was going with this, but that's a lot of Samsungs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Is it just me, or is managing files way harder than it should be?

The other week, I used uTorrent to download an album on my phone (I already purchased it, didn't want to wait for shipping). Then I used Solid Explorer to move the folder to storage/emulated/0/Music. Open up my music player, Music Folder Player Full, but the folder doesn't appear in the list. If I search for it in they directory I can find and play it though.

Bought a book the other day, just torrented the .mobi. Can't open it from within uTorrent. Find the file in Solid Explorer, and from here there's an "Open With" feature which offers the option to upload it to Google Play Books. Perfect. Tap that and it just opens the app without trying to upload the book. OK, I'll move it to my Downloads folder and then try opening it from there; that usually works. Nope, doesn't show up in the Downloads app. Well, fine, I'll upload the file to Google Drive, re-loving-download it so it will actually show up in Downloads, then maybe I can upload it to Books. "Can't open file" what the gently caress.

Ended up logging into my account on my work computer, downloaded the book from Drive, then uploaded it to Play Books, and now I can read it on my loving phone.

I assume this must be some sort of security thing Android does to prevent apps from just throwing files anywhere and everywhere, but man. It should not be this difficult.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

MXP Nougat rollout is starting.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Sab669 posted:

The other week, I used uTorrent to download an album on my phone (I already purchased it, didn't want to wait for shipping). Then I used Solid Explorer to move the folder to storage/emulated/0/Music. Open up my music player, Music Folder Player Full, but the folder doesn't appear in the list. If I search for it in they directory I can find and play it though.

Bought a book the other day, just torrented the .mobi. Can't open it from within uTorrent. Find the file in Solid Explorer, and from here there's an "Open With" feature which offers the option to upload it to Google Play Books. Perfect. Tap that and it just opens the app without trying to upload the book. OK, I'll move it to my Downloads folder and then try opening it from there; that usually works. Nope, doesn't show up in the Downloads app. Well, fine, I'll upload the file to Google Drive, re-loving-download it so it will actually show up in Downloads, then maybe I can upload it to Books. "Can't open file" what the gently caress.

Ended up logging into my account on my work computer, downloaded the book from Drive, then uploaded it to Play Books, and now I can read it on my loving phone.

I assume this must be some sort of security thing Android does to prevent apps from just throwing files anywhere and everywhere, but man. It should not be this difficult.

No, you're right. Direct file access on Android devices has always been a clusterfuck, and it gets even more confusing if your stuff is split between the main storage and the SD card. It's almost always easier to just use the appropriate google cloud service, when possible, than it is to just copy a thing in the file explorer.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
3 days into my s8+ and it's getting returned. Terrible battery life with the brightness at anything above 30%. The worst frame dropping I've seen on a flagship device at full resolution. poo poo Bluetooth and it is honestly a terrible phone. Samsunged again. :magical:

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
I don't understand. It's on the 10nm process, how are you not fully satisfied

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

nerdrum posted:

3 days into my s8+ and it's getting returned. Terrible battery life with the brightness at anything above 30%. The worst frame dropping I've seen on a flagship device at full resolution. poo poo Bluetooth and it is honestly a terrible phone. Samsunged again. :magical:

Why didn't you keep it at the default resolution? Samsung knows how you should use your phone better than you do.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

FistEnergy posted:

I love this thread.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Either way the badge is visual clutter at best and at worst so easily ignored that nothing ever gets accomplished.

Any idea if this is something you can turn off, in the beta at least? I hate the numbers on app icons, easily my least favorite aesthetic thing about iOS.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

nerdrum posted:

I guess Samsung's quality review process is just poo poo because I had the exact opposite experience with everything.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

nerdrum posted:

Maybe you should clean the camera lens first

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The Android Thread - how many nanometers u got

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I read a short book on Firefox on my Samsung S8, black text on white background, for like 3 hours straight at full resolution and my battery life only dropped to 70%. This was on a T-Mobile phone with some things like Lookout uninstalled/disabled. Maybe some carriers have excessive background bloat or something?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

nerdrum posted:

What does your battery breakdown look like? This is pretty extreme for a brand new device

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
I need a new phone. I'm looking at the S8, LG G6, and Pixel XL.

I really don't want to get Samsung'd again honestly. I haven't had an LG since the Sprint Fusic (LG LX550).
I really don't like the fact that the pixel is significantly more expensive than either of these but isn't any sort of water resistant or have expandable memory.

I read back a few pages in the thread and didn't find much beyond the typical Samsung'd screens and Pixel won't charge.
I'm not so sure if a complete lack of the G6 being mentioned anywhere is a strong case for me to buy one.

Should I just nut up, refinance my house and roll a Pixel XL into the mortgage? Am I gonna be pissed when there's suddenly a flood of 128GM Pixel XL phones on the market for ~$300 6 months from now?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

FistEnergy posted:

hahahahaha

Sab669 posted:

Managing files is hard because you shouldn't be doing it. It's a phone, not a computer. Also, I don't believe you when you say you bought the things you torrented. Who the hell torrents on a phone?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I really don't want to get Samsung'd again honestly. I haven't had an LG since the Sprint Fusic (LG LX550).
I really don't like the fact that the pixel is significantly more expensive than either of these but isn't any sort of water resistant or have expandable memory.

I read back a few pages in the thread and didn't find much beyond the typical Samsung'd screens and Pixel won't charge.
I'm not so sure if a complete lack of the G6 being mentioned anywhere is a strong case for me to buy one.

Should I just nut up, refinance my house and roll a Pixel XL into the mortgage? Am I gonna be pissed when there's suddenly a flood of 128GM Pixel XL phones on the market for ~$300 6 months from now?

The only phones anyone should buy are the Pixel or the iphone. If you can't afford it upfront, do the interest free payments through Google.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

G6 is just very workmanlike, it's not got the best of anything, but it's not *bad* by any stretch. Also, LG phones have had issues where they die roughly a year in, so you're potentially taking a risk. We can't know if it's a real issue, but I don't know that there'll be a lot of sympathy there if it does.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

How the hell do I stop Google from giving me a notification about the place I'm already at? Besides the fact that it's totally useless (I'm already there, I don't need a review or pictures), recently it has been spamming me about places in not even near. Right now it's giving me one for a restaurant that's 2.5 blocks away. Sometimes it gives me them for places I'm driving past. The notification never expires, it stays until dismissed, even if I left the place hours ago.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

clamiam45 posted:

I guess Samsung's quality review process is just poo poo because I had the exact opposite experience with everything.

Same.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Android Thread - it's not about how many nanometers you have, it's how you use it

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

If my Pixel is set to wake up and unlock and all that when I say "Ok Google" then why does the phone stay asleep and simply vibrate gently when I use that voice command? It recognizes that the voice command is being spoken and reacting to it but the screen isn't waking and the Assistant isn't popping up.

This happened occasionally on my previous Pixel, too. I'm going crazy.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I bought an LG G6 at launch and I've been impressed with the performance and battery life for the most part. I just have my fingers crossed that the bootloop issues have been ironed out.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

ShoogaSlim posted:

If my Pixel is set to wake up and unlock and all that when I say "Ok Google" then why does the phone stay asleep and simply vibrate gently when I use that voice command? It recognizes that the voice command is being spoken and reacting to it but the screen isn't waking and the Assistant isn't popping up.

This happened occasionally on my previous Pixel, too. I'm going crazy.

It might be just waking up and unlocking in order to receive the query, which then will show up in front of you, if all you're saying is "okay google." Are you saying things after that?

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Is it even supposed to unlock the phone when you use the assistant?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PerrineClostermann posted:

The Android Thread - it's not about how many nanometers you have, it's how you use it

5'd and subscribed

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

A G6 is a crappier version of an S8. Only redeeming feature of it is the fingerprint sensor isn't in the dumbest possible spot, but otherwise, and if price is comparable, no reason at all to go with the LG. Pixel is what I'd recommend, of course.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

FAUXTON posted:

It might be just waking up and unlocking in order to receive the query, which then will show up in front of you, if all you're saying is "okay google." Are you saying things after that?

I'll try it. I'm in the process of *another* factory reset initiated by your friendly, neighborhood Google support folks. They said they'll email me so I can follow-up when my phone exhibits the same problematic behavior (not charging unless I literally gently caress the charger port with the USB cable and jam the volume and power buttons endlessly). Of course, they haven't emailed me yet and the Chat ended like 30 minutes ago. Their support is really really bad.

e: Also, I restored from a backup, how come my apps aren't reinstalling? This is driving me absolutely bonkers.

The Duggler posted:

Is it even supposed to unlock the phone when you use the assistant?

How else would you know it's ready to receive further commands? The phone usually wakes up and displays the dancing colored dots waiting to listen for a command.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

RVProfootballer posted:

Any idea if this is something you can turn off, in the beta at least? I hate the numbers on app icons, easily my least favorite aesthetic thing about iOS.

I wish I could help but I don't use the beta. :(

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

To be fair, they all list for about the same price and even though I love my Pixel XL and it's a great phone I'll admit $400/year is probably not better than a new Moto G every year for most people. It's better than the LG or Samsung though.

Taffer posted:

How the hell do I stop Google from giving me a notification about the place I'm already at? Besides the fact that it's totally useless (I'm already there, I don't need a review or pictures), recently it has been spamming me about places in not even near. Right now it's giving me one for a restaurant that's 2.5 blocks away. Sometimes it gives me them for places I'm driving past. The notification never expires, it stays until dismissed, even if I left the place hours ago.

My experience hasn't been that the notification persists after I leave but yes, as far as I can tell you can't stop "you are here" notifications. I find them easy enough to ignore though. Sorry, wish I had better news.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Store notifications are annoying enough, but the other day Google asked me if I was at a specific intersection, and not even a remotely busy intersection. I had just been there, so at least it was accurate, but it was the strangest thing.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

When I was forced to factory reset my first Pixel, my apps and settings eventually came back. When I got my replacement, I logged in with my Google account and everything slowly re-populated.

Today, when I restored my phone, it started from scratch. When I logged into my Google account, it only ported my contacts and showed my previous apps in the Play Store but I had to download everything and sign back into all of them manually.

The gently caress did I do wrong and how do I not gently caress it up the next time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ShoogaSlim posted:

When I was forced to factory reset my first Pixel, my apps and settings eventually came back. When I got my replacement, I logged in with my Google account and everything slowly re-populated.

Today, when I restored my phone, it started from scratch. When I logged into my Google account, it only ported my contacts and showed my previous apps in the Play Store but I had to download everything and sign back into all of them manually.

The gently caress did I do wrong and how do I not gently caress it up the next time?

Probably hit the wrong checkbox during setup or something.