Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Lincoln in the Bardo is good, as would be expected of George Saunders who is also good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Lincoln in the Bardo is good, as would be expected of George Saunders who is also good

I do expect it of him, but for some reason I just haven't gotten started even though it's just sitting there waiting for me. Is it good enough that I should jump it to the top of the pile?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

mdemone posted:

I do expect it of him, but for some reason I just haven't gotten started even though it's just sitting there waiting for me. Is it good enough that I should jump it to the top of the pile?

imo, yeah. it's excellent. it's also a quick read, so it shouldn't set you back too long/

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

mdemone posted:

what chernobyl said

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

what chernobyl said

The What Katie Did sequels went some weird places

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lately I've been reading exclusively nonfiction, recommend some Real Literature to me. Late 19th to early 20th century setting a bonus.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Lately I've been reading exclusively nonfiction, recommend some Real Literature to me. Late 19th to early 20th century setting a bonus.

Any interests?

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Arglebargle III posted:

Excuse me, real literature does not have "settings."

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Arglebargle III posted:

Off the top of my head, books set around that time I've either read and loved or seem like safe bets from all accounts:
  • Ulysses, Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, Dubliners
  • All Quiet on the Western Front
  • The Sun Also Rises, A Farewell to Arms
  • Mrs. Dalloway, To the Lighthouse
  • Sons and Lovers
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Earnest
  • Three Men in a Boat
  • Heart of Darkness
  • e: oh yeah, The Sound and the Fury
That oughta keep you busy for a year or two. I tried and failed to come up with books written in the last 50 years set in that Gilded Age to WWI period. Maybe someone else can pitch in.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 23, 2017

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
recommending Ulysses to someone who asked for broad lit suggestions should be punished with lashes

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

chernobyl kinsman posted:

recommending Ulysses to someone who asked for broad lit suggestions should be punished with lashes

Look, man, he asked for "Real Literature" set at the turn of the 20th century. It's by far the most obvious suggestion! e: I could have slipped Proust in there if I really wanted to be a dick.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Apr 23, 2017

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

recommending Ulysses ... should be punished with lashes

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this

E: also I like how that list has Three Men in a Boat next to Heart of Darkness.

Safety Biscuits fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 23, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Safety Biscuits posted:

E: also I like how that list has Three Men in a Boat next to Heart of Darkness.

yeah there's a bit of free association going on in that list

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
White guys, boats, checks out

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

at the date posted:

I tried and failed to come up with books written in the last 50 years set in that Gilded Age to WWI period. Maybe someone else can pitch in.

Against the Day? (I haven't read it though.)

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

The Belgian posted:

Against the Day? (I haven't read it though.)

Against the Day is a great one.

A lot of people like Ragtime by Doctorow but I didn't like it so much.

I just finished At Swim Two Birds based on recommendations in this thread and I have to say it was the first time I've read a book recommended by this thread that I didn't really like. It took me forever because I just wasn't that interested. Probably just me.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
It is just you cuz that book is great.

Started reading Lincoln in the Bardo and enjoying it so far

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

fridge corn posted:

It is just you cuz that book is great.

Started reading Lincoln in the Bardo and enjoying it so far

It's the kind of book I normally like and I did like a lot of the way it was set up I just spent more than a month reading it a few pages at a time because I had little invested in it.

I almost picked up Lincoln in the Bardo yesterday but decided to go with Underground Railroad instead and am "enjoying" it so far.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

but decided to go with Underground Railroad instead and am "enjoying" it so far.

Definitely an interesting book. Some members of my book club had a hard time believing that human zoos & Resurrection Men were real things.

In his notes at the end, I love that Colton Whitehead made a point to say he wrote the book while listening to The Misfits. It fits.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I've been trying to read Suddenly a Knock at the Door by Etgar Keret but every time I pick it up I see I'm about to read a story called Cheezus Christ and I put it down. The first story was cool and the second one had a bad name and was fairly cool but I can't be dealing with this.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

CestMoi posted:

I've been trying to read Suddenly a Knock at the Door by Etgar Keret but every time I pick it up I see I'm about to read a story called Cheezus Christ and I put it down. The first story was cool and the second one had a bad name and was fairly cool but I can't be dealing with this.

I mean, that story takes place in a badly named restaurant, it even jokes about how lovely the name is, since it's about a guy who spends his dying moment in a lovely restaurant with a dumb pun name.

Keret's cool, don't get hung up on short story names, that's really silly.

"I tried to read this story, but there's no hills, there's no white elephants, bad name bad story"

edit: Knowing Keret, the story's probably only three pages long, you spent longer posting about it than reading.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Simplicissimus has a part where the protagonist dresses up as a woman and because he's a presumably nubile boy like three separate dudes get extremely horned up and want to gently caress him, and there's another part where he's kidnapped and they try to trick him into thinking he's in hell to make him go insane.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I mean, that story takes place in a badly named restaurant, it even jokes about how lovely the name is, since it's about a guy who spends his dying moment in a lovely restaurant with a dumb pun name.

Keret's cool, don't get hung up on short story names, that's really silly.

"I tried to read this story, but there's no hills, there's no white elephants, bad name bad story"

edit: Knowing Keret, the story's probably only three pages long, you spent longer posting about it than reading.

the bad name is still bad even if there's a reason for it to be bad

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

the bad name is still bad even if there's a reason for it to be bad

I mean, if it's supposed to be bad, and it is bad, then it fulfills it's purpose, so that's good.

There's a few ways we can circle around how a funny writer names his stories weird things sometimes.

Honestly, I don't even know if that's the original title. He's an Israeli writer, that pun may have been chosen by the translator, since I doubt there's something similar in Hebrew.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

It's a terrible name and I hate it and by extension, all the tribes of Israel.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm going to read the dumb story eventually just you never get a second chance at a first impression you know? Maybe he should have called it something that translates into English as Titwarriors of Urgon IV and then I wouldn't have tried to read it like 5 times and read a few cantos of the Revolt of Islam instead. Now there;s a name for a thing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Just skip that story and read a different one. I really liked Black and Blue in the same collection.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
I think I've read one Keret story, andI don't remember it, but my impression is that he's an Israeli Neil Gaiman who's decided to focus on short stories.

Although Quim Monzo seems p. similar, and I like him, so dunno.

Reading 2666 now, wish me luck, goons and goonettes!!

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

good luck reading your good book

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

Burning Rain posted:

Goongratulations and goon (good) luck

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Does anyone have any recommended translators for Latin and Greek literature?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Loeb editions are usually p legit + you get that sweet en face original action :vapes:

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Safety Biscuits posted:

I've enjoyed Fagles. I've also enjoyed most of those old Penguin Classics translations, but the commentaries are sometimes shockingly of their time

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

I am a fitzgerald man myself

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I remember the Fagles translation of Odyssey being particularly dope because of its direct and unpretentious language, but Fitzgerald is also good.

Sibboleth
Jul 10, 2014

Arglebargle III posted:

It's already been suggested, but honestly Sons and Lovers is a great one to start with; it's a cliché to shower massive praise on Lawrence's powers of description but it is a cliché for a reason (you won't find many better writers of landscape or place in the English language, to say nothing of the extraordinary literary portrait of his father in the novel) and the story is good as well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I found a hole-in-the-wall used bookstore today that I love, along with a really cheap copy of (Pevear/Volokhonsky) Anna Karenina. I'm reading some of their Dostoevsky translations and I'm liking it, so why not.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Rolo posted:

I found a hole-in-the-wall used bookstore today that I love, along with a really cheap copy of (Pevear/Volokhonsky) Anna Karenina. I'm reading some of their Dostoevsky translations and I'm liking it, so why not.

I miss fort Collins for that reason. They had like five used bookstores

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I miss fort Collins for that reason. They had like five used bookstores

Have you been to the one in he converted apartment up above Indigo Rose downtown? He's only open certain days but the whole place is stuffed to the brim with books and the owner will talk your ear off for hours about basically any book.

If you haven't been here since Bizarre Bazaar moved, they're right across from the university now and get an insane amount of book trade ins on a daily basis. I just got a copy of Ada from there not even an hour ago :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Sibboleth posted:

It's already been suggested, but honestly Sons and Lovers is a great one to start with; it's a cliché to shower massive praise on Lawrence's powers of description but it is a cliché for a reason (you won't find many better writers of landscape or place in the English language, to say nothing of the extraordinary literary portrait of his father in the novel) and the story is good as well.

Ugh I hated that book.