Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

FizFashizzle posted:

If neither Adams or Fournette are there, just take OJ Howard.

Run a two tight end set.

You draft a physical freak so it checks gettleman's box, he gets to learn from greg olsen, he'll be there for ten years.

It's a loving no brainer.

I am convinced the Panthers are gonna draft Howard and are trying to play it cool.

Print.

The.

Shirts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Watch there be a double whammy of the Panthers taking Mixon with their first and him exploding his rookie season just to piss off the most goons possible in this thread

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Doltos posted:

Watch there be a double whammy of the Panthers taking Mixon with their first and him exploding his rookie season just to piss off the most goons possible in this thread

Sorry, the Panthers wont sign a lovely human being until next year to get the maximum effect of bad PR from drafting a turd AND Rae Carruth being released in the same year.

Edit: Rae Rae's scheduled release date is Oct. 2018

waah fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 26, 2017

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
What if the Browns draft all the QBs and create a QBs shortage? (By playing them and ending 4 careers this year)

Edit 5 if you count Brock having a career.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

waah posted:

Sorry, the Panthers wont sign a lovely human being until next year to get the maximum effect of bad PR from drafting a turd AND Rae Carruth being released in the same year.

Carruth gets out this year? If so, when? It's important so I can have my autographed Rae Carruth rookie card delivers to Fiz on that date.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

https://twitter.com/john_wawrow/status/857310677526040576
:bape:

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Bengals are going to take Mixon because Mike Brown doesn't give a gently caress

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/RichCimini/status/857313022804709377

Where can I sign up for this?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Where can I sign up for this?
Short of a trade down, can't imagine anyone being upset with either Adams or Hooker at 6.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

wandler20 posted:

Carruth gets out this year? If so, when? It's important so I can have my autographed Rae Carruth rookie card delivers to Fiz on that date.

Oh man that'd be so ace

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Diva Cupcake posted:

Short of a trade down, can't imagine anyone being upset with either Adams or Hooker at 6.

I'm fine with OJ Howard too.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Have fun with is eternally broken hamstrings

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I'm becoming more fine with OJ Howard after seeing McCaffrey mocks.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

What is the consensus on PFF and their grading system for players?

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

warcrimes posted:

Have fun with is eternally broken hamstrings
That's Lattimore. Hooker is the torn labrum guy.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's trying to quantify the eye test and sucks at it.

Some of the metrics they can track are pretty cool, but their grades are pretty bunk. I've never looked at their college grades, but the problems seem like they would be made even worse by the severe level of competition differences.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Sataere posted:

Good if it helps your narrative, bad otherwise

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps

89 posted:

I heard somebody do some analysis of this draft on corners. Their idea is that this draft class is FAR from an all time great corner class....BUT it's just that there are so many serviceable corners in this draft.

With Sidney Jones injured and Conley possibly doing the whole rape thing...is there even a corner that's worth a top 15 or 20 1st round pick that's not Lattimore? Seems like it's more like a "draft secondary later cause of depth" kind of situation.

This is the most ready I've ever been for a draft.

Is this right?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Kalli posted:

It's trying to quantify the eye test and sucks at it.

Some of the metrics they can track are pretty cool, but their grades are pretty bunk. I've never looked at their college grades, but the problems seem like they would be made even worse by the severe level of competition differences.

I was looking at how they explain it and I think this sums up what I was thinking. I think game tape is the most important factor, but if isn't the only factor. I'm playing around with an idea of making my own standardized grading system, but it seems to me that the way they set their scale just ignores too many important factors.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Diva Cupcake posted:

That's Lattimore. Hooker is the torn labrum guy.

You are absolutely correct

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Cross posting this from the Draft pregame thread in case any of you guys missed it and want to participate.

quote:

:siren: Predict the pick contest :siren:

http://predictpick.nfl.com/?icampaign=ptp-nav-draft_hp

I set this up if anyone else wants to join. Submit a mock draft, it's pretty easy to fill out.

Group: SAGoons
PW: goon2017

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

89 posted:

Is this right?

From my perspective I guess it depends on how you define best CB draft class? There's no Deion or anything in the class, but there are a couple/few potentially really good guys who could feasibly end up as all pros and a whole bunch of guys who should stick around for a while.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Lol at the Browns

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

a new study bible! posted:

Lol at the Browns

Can you be more specific?

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

How retarded do you have to be as an organization to have the number 1 pick and still be in the middle of a panic over not being able to get the first round QB that you want to draft? Just draft the Tub overall number 1 because you are going to waste the pick anyway.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

a new study bible! posted:

How retarded do you have to be as an organization to have the number 1 pick and still be in the middle of a panic over not being able to get the first round QB that you want to draft? Just draft the Tub overall number 1 because you are going to waste the pick anyway.

Oh that, yeah I don't get the logic either.

So you need a QB. You think (right or not) that it's worth somewhere between #1 and #12 to take him. You have #1 and #12. Most of the teams between #1 and #12 either have no QB, or have very old QBs. Also every GM is a lying fucker, keep that in mind.

IF you think that, then skipping the QB at #1 in the hopes you can trade up and get him between #1 and #12 is dumb, because almost everyone between #1 and #12 is a candidate to poach him from you, and you can't trust what anybody says about what their own plans are. I mean, the #2 team has poo poo for QB. The #3 team has a poo poo QB. The #4 team has a poo poo QB. So does #6. #7 and #11 have old QBs. #10 *should* have their QB, but the team is schizophrenic about it so who knows.

Assuming you will be able to trade up in front of whoever agrees with you about there being a QB worth taking at the top of the draft, when everyone is blowing smoke about their own intentions, seems like an awful strategy. Just blow #1 overall on the QB *IF* you think your franchise savior is sitting there (for some dumb reason) and get it over with.

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012

fsif posted:

I just watched a highlight video of Pat Mahomes and I swear it was indistinguishable from an EJ Manuel highlight reel I watched in 2013.

lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Oh that, yeah I don't get the logic either.

So you need a QB. You think (right or not) that it's worth somewhere between #1 and #12 to take him. You have #1 and #12. Most of the teams between #1 and #12 either have no QB, or have very old QBs. Also every GM is a lying fucker, keep that in mind.

IF you think that, then skipping the QB at #1 in the hopes you can trade up and get him between #1 and #12 is dumb, because almost everyone between #1 and #12 is a candidate to poach him from you, and you can't trust what anybody says about what their own plans are. I mean, the #2 team has poo poo for QB. The #3 team has a poo poo QB. The #4 team has a poo poo QB. So does #6. #7 and #11 have old QBs. #10 *should* have their QB, but the team is schizophrenic about it so who knows.

Assuming you will be able to trade up in front of whoever agrees with you about there being a QB worth taking at the top of the draft, when everyone is blowing smoke about their own intentions, seems like an awful strategy. Just blow #1 overall on the QB *IF* you think your franchise savior is sitting there (for some dumb reason) and get it over with.

Or, you could assume you're probably not going to get that QB, take the guy you want with your #1, but go ahead and approach teams in the middle range with offers to possibly trade up for their pick if the QB you want happens to still be available when their pick comes up. So you don't have to try and hash out a deal like that from scratch while the team is on the clock.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Armando just posted that the Dolphins preference in the first round goes:

1) Barnett
2) Harris
3) Davis
4) trade down
5) Tankersly (though they prefer him in the second round).

I'm pulling for Davis or a trade down.

No way Barnett is available.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Sataere posted:

I'm convinced that they can't contract with almost every team in the league without degrading their public product. So I don't know if they're still useful.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Alaois posted:

funslinging IS an asset, to totally rad and fun to watch games

agreed. I loved Grossman and cutler and would find it hilarious to have mahomes on the bears

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Browns how about this...gently caress a QB this year and get me a team he can throw to and a QB next year. Get Garrett and Howard.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Gatts posted:

Browns how about this...gently caress a QB this year and get me a team he can throw to and a QB next year. Get Garrett and Howard.

This really is what the Browns should do.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

MY NIGGA D-LINK posted:

This really is what the Browns should do.

That's how I feel.

Carr, Wilson, Cousins, Dalton, Dak and even Kaepernick/Bridgewater all show that you can build a competent team and plug in 2nd-4th round QB's now and find success.

That seems better then the talent dry teams grabbing QB's top 10 which has given us over that timeframe:

Hits: Cam, Luck, Stafford, Tannehill
Misses: Sanchez, Bradford, Gabbert, Locker, RG3

Not sure, trending positive: Mariota, Winston, Wentz
Not sure, trending negative: Bortles, Goff

Of course plenty (most) round 2-4 QB's loving fail, but at least that only costs you a later pick and not like Eric Berry or Kalil Mack. And QB's in better situations tend to have way higher hit rates for some mysterious loving reason.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Okay, picture Cam Newton in your head. He's dunked on the entire defense, scored a hilariously easy for him touchdown, he does his Superman pose.

Imagine that shilling for JC Penney

https://twitter.com/DeshaunWatson4/status/857345665785057282

That's not a #1 overall look Watson.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Isn't JC Penney closing like all of its stores as well?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
lol @ the dude in the Falcon's shirt

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Kalli posted:

That's how I feel.

Carr, Wilson, Cousins, Dalton, Dak and even Kaepernick/Bridgewater all show that you can build a competent team and plug in 2nd-4th round QB's now and find success.

That seems better then the talent dry teams grabbing QB's top 10 which has given us over that timeframe:

Hits: Cam, Luck, Stafford, Tannehill
Misses: Sanchez, Bradford, Gabbert, Locker, RG3

Not sure, trending positive: Mariota, Winston, Wentz
Not sure, trending negative: Bortles, Goff

Of course plenty (most) round 2-4 QB's loving fail, but at least that only costs you a later pick and not like Eric Berry or Kalil Mack. And QB's in better situations tend to have way higher hit rates for some mysterious loving reason.

I didn't do a whole lot of research on it, but I did ask myself what's the most basic common denominator on whether a potential franchise QB becomes a success, and I feel like there's pretty compelling evidence that the more complete a team is, the more likely a QB is to succeed. Especially having a dominant defense. If you look at the dynasties in the Super Bowl era, Bradshaw, Staubach, Montana, Kelly, Brady all went to teams that were either building or already had dominant defenses. Favre went from an afterthought to The Man as soon as the defense was good enough to compensate for his funslinging gently caress-ups. Ben, Rivers, Eli, Flacco, Wilson and even Dalton also fit the idea that a QB's success is predicated on having a a great defense.

Of course, there's outliers like Marino, Elway, PFM (and I also include Luck in this group), and both the Aikman and Prescott Cowboys. The former being the ultra rare archetypal QB, and the latter bolstered by all-time great offensive lines, which seems to be the only other method then having A) an extremely dominant defense, B) drafting a generational talent.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Who the gently caress wears JC Penney to their draft night? I'm taking him off my board if I see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

college players aren't paid and run up huge college loans and poo poo. Dude's maxing out his mom's credit card for whatever decent clothes he can afford, come on.

• Locked thread