Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kingdom Come is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

So when people were suggesting Elseworlds for me to read, no one mentioned Kingdom Come. Is it not good? I've only ever heard the premise and I liked it a lot.

Stuff like Justice Lords or Red Son where the supers finally are allowed to do something. No more status quo is god, they try to make real change with all those amazing powers they have. There's so much potential here in terms of philosophy and politics and yeah.That's what I thought KC dealt with.

But it seems like a lot of people sy it's poo poo.

I'm not sure where you're hearing that but Kingdom Come is incredibly highly regarded and generall considered quite good. Are you sure you're not mistaking Kingdom Come and The Kingdom (its much less popular sequel?)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I bet it's just because it's such a seminal work, everyone forgets it's an Elseworlds.

Yeah it's good and you should read it.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not sure where you're hearing that but Kingdom Come is incredibly highly regarded and generall considered quite good. Are you sure you're not mistaking Kingdom Come and The Kingdom (its much less popular sequel?)
EDIT: He asked for Elseworlds recommendations and no one recommended Kingdom Come. Because we all forgot, not because it's bad.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I bet it's just because it's such a seminal work, everyone forgets it's an Elseworlds.

EDIT: He asked for Elseworlds recommendations and no one recommended Kingdom Come. Because we all forgot, not because it's bad.
Agreeing with all this.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

When it comes to Elseworlds I always forget that kingdom Come is one. It just seems like such a seminal work that I see it more as a Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns kind of comic than an Elseworld.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Nthing that Kingdom Come is really good. I can't recommend it enough!

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well it's nice to hear the universal praise since, as I noted, it sounded really interesting. I'll buy KC along with TDKR next week when I have money.

From the tiny amount I know of both series, reading them alongside each other could be interesting.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Well it's nice to hear the universal praise since, as I noted, it sounded really interesting. I'll buy KC along with TDKR next week when I have money.

From the tiny amount I know of both series, reading them alongside each other could be interesting.

For the record and if you haven't been recommended it:

Superman: Secret Identity. Seriously, it is perhaps my favorite Elseworlds ever.

The premise is about a boy named Clark Kent in the real world who wakes up with the powers of Superman one day but it largely focuses on his life from being a teenager to adulthood and part of what it deals with is the idea of a Superman suddenly existing in the real world.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I would have recommended Kingdom Come but I assumed it was the first one recommended. It's absolutely amazing. I'll read it at least once every couple months and it never gets old.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ImpAtom posted:

For the record and if you haven't been recommended it:

Superman: Secret Identity. Seriously, it is perhaps my favorite Elseworlds ever.

The premise is about a boy named Clark Kent in the real world who wakes up with the powers of Superman one day but it largely focuses on his life from being a teenager to adulthood and part of what it deals with is the idea of a Superman suddenly existing in the real world.

another great one is up up and away. It's about a writer assigned to write superman and he really does not care about him at the same time as dealing with illness in the family. It's not elseworld but vertigo and one of my favorite comics of all time

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

another great one is up up and away. It's about a writer assigned to write superman and he really does not care about him at the same time as dealing with illness in the family. It's not elseworld but vertigo and one of my favorite comics of all time

You're thinking of It's a Bird by Seagle.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Paul Dini + Alex Ross's "World's Greatest Superheroes," which is getting an Absolute edition later this year, features several great DC stories, culminating in a great Justice League one-shot. Dini whole-heartedly addresses common observations such as:

Why doesn't Superman haul cargo tankers full of food to poor countries?
Despots are cruel and would rather their people suffer.

Doesn't Batman's war on crime only perpetuate the cycle of violence and disenfranchisement?
Yes, which is why he also uses his fortune for philanthropy and his corporate empire to spur economic growth. He can punch burglars and raise the GDP.

How does Wonder Woman reconcile her "feminist icon" status around the world, especially cultures that clash with her aesthetic and values?
Not everyone's a fan, but she's not here to bask in applause, she's here to save lives.

How do these super-people keep from getting their heads stuck up their asses?
In Captain Marvel's case, he's just as inspired by the children he saves as they are by him.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Kingdom Come's ok, I wasn't as into it as many are, but it's worth a read, especially for that scene in Kansas.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Madkal posted:

You're thinking of It's a Bird by Seagle.

Yes I am. One of my all time favorite comics

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

:swoon:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I hope his winning taunt is him sitting in a chair

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

pubic works project posted:

I would have recommended Kingdom Come but I assumed it was the first one recommended. It's absolutely amazing. I'll read it at least once every couple months and it never gets old.

I always forget to recommend Kingdom Come, because I just assume everyone has been told to read it.

I guess Justice would be considered an Elseworld. Really loved rereading it last week. Tonight I start Omega Men.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
OH GOOD I WANTED YET ANOTHER STREAMING SERVICE TO loving PAY FOR

http://www.newsarama.com/34237-live-action-titans-young-justice-return-to-launch-new-dc-digital-service.html

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

#cutthecord

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Good morning, friends! 2:09am PT is morning, right? :buddy:

This is just a friendly little post to say that everyone in the entire world needs to read Detective Comics #955 over and over again. Forever.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Good morning, friends! 2:09am PT is morning, right? :buddy:

This is just a friendly little post to say that everyone in the entire world needs to read Detective Comics #955 over and over again. Forever.

Does Batman trip over his cape on this one? Or maybe Shiva dunks his head in a toilet bowl this time? Maybe he's punked by some random goon this time? To whom is Batman jobbing this issue? Excited to find out!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He's thrown to the floor by a girl and that's it. He didn't even sock her one. Lame.
Meanwhile some other girl in a gimp mask spends like, eight pages beating up a hundred ninjas. It's not called Mute Chick Comics, DC.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Batman can get wrecked by Jimmy Olsen for all I care so long everything else that's happening in this book continues to happen. :allears:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DC streaming service is only worthwhile if it gets literally every dc cartoon, movie, TV show, etc ever made, or if there's somehow a way to put comics on it

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is awesome but too bad I don't like playing fighting games much at all.

I'll just wait for all the GIFs.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I accidentally got Blue Beetle today since it was mixed in with my pulls, so I guess I'll just stick with that until it ends.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Roth posted:

I accidentally got Blue Beetle today since it was mixed in with my pulls, so I guess I'll just stick with that until it ends.

Or don't if you didn't enjoy it

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I actually ended up really loving that issue of Blue Beetle. I'm glad the comic shop left it in on accident, and the final page is pretty hype

Enjoyed it way more than Teen Titans actually, which I'm becoming increasingly convinced was good in the first few issues because of Meyers, and definitely not Percy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anything happening with Sugar & Spike in the comic?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Aww, I liked Teen Titans. Damian has kinda reverted to being an unbearable lil' poo poo, but the issue itself was fine and kinda fun at points. Seeing "Jackson" kinda threw me off a bit through, 'cuz I've recently been making my through Young Justice and he's...definitely totally different here.

Wonder Woman #21: God I'm going to miss this run. I'm gonna miss looking forward to this story every other week, miss always wishing these issues were longer, miss trying to come up with theories about the mystery (and being wrong every single time because obvs)

The last section of this issue kinda gave me massive Vertigo vibes (and okay, when I say Vertigo I suppose I just mean Gaiman), especially from Sharp's moody abstract art. But in particular it reminds me of the Sandman issue where he descends to hell, expecting a big battle, only to find Lucifer just chilling and wanting to have a nice pleasant chat. Gotta say, I've missed this version of Ares!

Hal Jordan and the GLC #19: It's interesting. The first time Kyle and Soranik got together, he'd become a very...serious and contemplative character, while she was more of the wide-eyed go-getter rookie. Now they're exploring the relationship again, but he's kinda reverted to the more easygoing kid that he used to be in the 90s, while she's become a no-nonsense all-business Corps leader. So it's definitely a very different dynamic between them, to the point that they might as well just be different characters getting together for the very first time. Not sure if I totally dig it yet, but I've whined so much about DC just tossing aside Kyle and Soranik's romance aside in the past that I guess I should just take what I can get. It's certainly more appropriate than putting him with Carol Ferris, in any case.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So yeah Action Comics does raise like a dozen questions about the timeline of the DC Universe, at minimum, but I liked the issue for the most part. I'm happy to see that this Superman is pretty much the Post Crisis one now with only a few bits of the New 52 version thrown in. Not happy about the Kents still dying well before they ever got to meet Lois but that's a small quibble. The absence of Conner when they were going over the history of the Doomsday storyline stuck out like a sore thumb though. I really hope that's the something missing that Clark is referring to that's making him review all this. I mean they even threw in Cyborg Superman there which makes no sense with what we know of N52 Cyborg Superman and Hank Henshaw right now and even the end of this very issue.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Gah! I want to talk comics with you guys during the quiet times of my vacation, but I also can't get my comics until maybe Saturday!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I only saw the Action Comics stuff on BC, but isn't Lois and Clark (the miniseries) relegated to "then I took some time to hang back and have a secret black costume and beard for no particular reason."
I wonder if Jurgens felt conflicted doing that to his own story.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I only saw the Action Comics stuff on BC, but isn't Lois and Clark (the miniseries) relegated to "then I took some time to hang back and have a secret black costume and beard for no particular reason."
I wonder if Jurgens felt conflicted doing that to his own story.

It's shown to happen pretty much exactly as it was. They were in hiding from Intergang, Lois was writing as Author X, and Superman was working in secret in the black costume. That's pretty much exactly what Lois and Clark was. The only difference is there wasn't a Superman running around in public during the time.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's basically the revised history.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, uh, Conner being missing from that has to be some kind of plot point, that's way too conspicuous.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, uh, Conner being missing from that has to be some kind of plot point, that's way too conspicuous.

That's what I thought. I'm trying to think how he could tie into Oz in some way. Maybe Oz has him locked up with Doomsday and Tim.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

NikkolasKing posted:

a little late, but New Frontier is also a good Elseworlds that didn't get mentioned before

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

X-O posted:

That's what I thought. I'm trying to think how he could tie into Oz in some way. Maybe Oz has him locked up with Doomsday and Tim.

Maybe Oz IS Conner?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

purple death ray posted:

DC streaming service is only worthwhile if it gets literally every dc cartoon, movie, TV show, etc ever made, or if there's somehow a way to put comics on it
There was some mention in an article about comics being included. Guess we'll have to see what happens.