Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Guy Goodbody posted:

Revolutions. Each episode is only 30 minutes or so long, but they're more like chapters in a book than stand alone episodes, so you end up with something around 8 hours on the English Revolution, 30+ hours on the French Revolution, etc.

I don't know how people listen to those things weekly. I need to take in at least 3 or 4 at a time otherwise I risk getting lost. I just wait until he finishes his current plot before listening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Snappy Zings posted:

If you're one of those dang millennials that use Snapchat, you might enjoy my friend's and my podcast The Snappy Hour. Here's a link to my post in the PYP thread all about it. Even if you don't like Snapchat, it's still quite fun. Come for the funny jokes and snaps, stay for the Jager bombs and stupid sound bytes. Enjoy :)

I like it. I didn't really think an audio show about a visual medium would work but I've listened to your last few and been entertained.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
If anyone has any interest in classical music, listen to Classical Classroom. Premise is simple: the host works at a classical music station, but doesn't know anything about it outside of cultural osmosis, so each week she has "experts" (musicians, composers, etc.) come in and they both listen to a famous piece of classical music and talk about the composer, why it's famous, why the person chose that piece for the show, the techniques behind the music, etc. The show's pretty short; the longest episode is around 40 minutes.

Really any episode with a recognizable name is a good one to start, but Episode 4 with Brett Mitchell goes over John Williams' Star Wars score and explains the ins-and-outs of why it's lasted the test of time and how it uses leitmotifs to fuel the story in ways most people don't notice.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Franchescanado posted:

If anyone has any interest in classical music, listen to Classical Classroom. Premise is simple: the host works at a classical music station, but doesn't know anything about it outside of cultural osmosis, so each week she has "experts" (musicians, composers, etc.) come in and they both listen to a famous piece of classical music and talk about the composer, why it's famous, why the person chose that piece for the show, the techniques behind the music, etc. The show's pretty short; the longest episode is around 40 minutes.

Really any episode with a recognizable name is a good one to start, but Episode 4 with Brett Mitchell goes over John Williams' Star Wars score and explains the ins-and-outs of why it's lasted the test of time and how it uses leitmotifs to fuel the story in ways most people don't notice.

This sounds like an amazing way for me to become a cultured snob real fast. Honestly I've always wanted to know more about classical music. Thanks!

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Franchescanado posted:

classical music

Franchescanado posted:

John Williams' Star Wars score

:rolleyes:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It is a classical music show, they just did one episode on Star Wars music to explain leitmotifs and how Williams stole different aspects from operas, and it's a good entry episode.

The tone poem/Smetana episode and Camille Saint-Saëns episode are really great as well.

Snappy Zings
Feb 19, 2003
I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO A SIMPLE SEARCH OF THE FORUMS.

Rick posted:

I like it. I didn't really think an audio show about a visual medium would work but I've listened to your last few and been entertained.

Thanks a lot! Honestly the visual medium aspect is less of an issue than you'd think. Most of the Snapchats sent in by fans/listeners are videos, and we just line them directly into our interface through the device's headphone jack.

In the future if it gets big enough we might move the show itself to a video format, and we've been discussing the best way to do that. My current idea is to use a smartphone emulator to play the Snaps and some form of on-the-fly video capture (we pride ourselves in doing the show live with minimal-to-zero editing).

Thanks again for listening! :awesomelon:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

as someone who loves classical music I'm into any outlet for that kind of music discussion that doesn't sneer smugly at other mediums and instead, say, will talk about how Williams took major inspiration from the greats. Which is probably why, ya know, he was so good at getting emotion and all from his scores.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
also Jaws is a good movie

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
hell yea Jaws is good.

So are there any non-insufferable food/cooking podcasts out there? Admittedly I've only listened to a couple but they were all really dull 'foodie' bullshit that focused mainly on jerking off current trends and one upping each other on recent dining experiences.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I like Gastropod. I'm not sure you can actually avoid being a foodie if you have a food podcast, but I like the information provided since there's a good amount of history and science.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I like The Splendid Table, talks to a bunch of different people and has a call in line. I used to listen to America's Test Kitchen but I can not stand Christopher Kimbell. The Splendid Table is a bit less pretentious than him.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I don't mind general foodie poo poo, it's the pretentious and annoying kinds that bug me. I'll give those a try!

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Franchescanado posted:

Thanks for recommending this! It is an excellent show, four episodes in and I'm learning a ton.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Chapo Trap House is pretty funny, and hosted by former goons.

Thanks; I'll look it up, but I'm curious...hosted by former goons? Were they banned or something?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

credburn posted:

Thanks; I'll look it up, but I'm curious...hosted by former goons? Were they banned or something?

I'm assuming they're former goons because no current goons have stepped up and said they're the Chapo guys. But in an early episode they make a joke about Hillary Clinton letting Vilerat die, and refer to him as "Vilerat", so I'm pretty sure they're goons

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I'm sure someone already recommended S Town, but it didn't register with me until someone at work raved about it and holy poo poo it's a must. Seven episodes, from the Serial producers and This American Life which gives you an idea of the tone, but it's the uniqueness of the story that makes it worth checking out. And I'll leave it at that because the story keeps unfolding so there's no point in spoiling a thing.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Snowy posted:

I'm sure someone already recommended S Town, but it didn't register with me until someone at work raved about it and holy poo poo it's a must. Seven episodes, from the Serial producers and This American Life which gives you an idea of the tone, but it's the uniqueness of the story that makes it worth checking out. And I'll leave it at that because the story keeps unfolding so there's no point in spoiling a thing.

It is a wonderful and beautiful journey that I was devised when ended.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

If you're interested in classical music or want to learn about the fine nuances between conductors and performers, check out

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/la-tribune-des-critiques-de-disques

Basically they take one work, and then listen to different recordings with different orchestras and conductors, then discuss what makes them special, why this is better or worse etc. It's really good for learning to listen and discovering how subtle changes can influence the mood of a piece. Really excellent.

e: you need to speak french

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

credburn posted:

You know, I knew nothing about this guy but a friend gave me one of his books to read and I thought it was weird as all gently caress.

Le Guin and Delaney are worth a look if you're interested in 70s scifi dealing with social issues or language itself. I don't remember much of Delaney's stuff, reading it as a non-native speaker was super hard (since the structure of the language was part of/intertwined with the narrative, iirc). Le Guin's Dispossessed is worth checking out, shows dealings between sovjet, capitalist and anarchist planets.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

mike12345 posted:

Le Guin and Delaney are worth a look if you're interested in 70s scifi dealing with social issues or language itself. I don't remember much of Delaney's stuff, reading it as a non-native speaker was super hard (since the structure of the language was part of/intertwined with the narrative, iirc). Le Guin's Dispossessed is worth checking out, shows dealings between sovjet, capitalist and anarchist planets.

"Weird as all gently caress" is, to be fair, a perfectly valid way to describe everything Delaney's ever written.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

"Weird as all gently caress" is, to be fair, a perfectly valid way to describe everything Delaney's ever written.

Delaney wrote a lot of stuff that wasn't just a thousand pages of weird nonsense like Dhalgren.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

mike12345 posted:

If you're interested in classical music or want to learn about the fine nuances between conductors and performers, check out

https://www.francemusique.fr/emissions/la-tribune-des-critiques-de-disques

Basically they take one work, and then listen to different recordings with different orchestras and conductors, then discuss what makes them special, why this is better or worse etc. It's really good for learning to listen and discovering how subtle changes can influence the mood of a piece. Really excellent.

e: you need to speak french

My companion is gonna love this. Thanks for the recommendation.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

mike12345 posted:

Le Guin is wonderful, and also, notably, not a pedophile.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
I've just finished the first and so far only season of Terrible, Thanks For Asking, and I'm desperately in need of more honesty and tragedy.

Any takers?

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
Are there any good alternate reality podcasts like Welcome to Nightvale that tell stories from a world not quite like ours?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
So I caught up with Sword and Scale after quitting last year. It seems that Mike has changed his opinions on the whole "all mentally ill are monsters" thing a little.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

So I caught up with Sword and Scale after quitting last year. It seems that Mike has changed his opinions on the whole "all mentally ill are monsters" thing a little.

Could you elaborate? I tried it and he was basically doing the "schizophrenics are all ticking time bombs waiting to murder you and everyone you love because they're monsters" bit from the start and it just came across as really bad editorializing from someone who really didn't understand mental illness, and it marred what was otherwise pretty decent storytelling. Given that a lot of people said that he pretty much went straight off his rocker later on and I couldn't get past it from the start, I'm curious what you mean.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Azathoth posted:

Could you elaborate? I tried it and he was basically doing the "schizophrenics are all ticking time bombs waiting to murder you and everyone you love because they're monsters" bit from the start and it just came across as really bad editorializing from someone who really didn't understand mental illness, and it marred what was otherwise pretty decent storytelling. Given that a lot of people said that he pretty much went straight off his rocker later on and I couldn't get past it from the start, I'm curious what you mean.

I don't really know if he really changed his opinions wholesale, but on one of his latests shows he played a message from someone who left him one that said basically "Not all people who are mentally ill are dangerous". Then in this second the last episode when it was explained that the defendant in the case might try to go for an insanity plea he interjected and basically said the same thing as that message. Maybe it got through to him, although he did immediately afterwards say "Hes probably faking it, alot of people fake insanity defense to get out of trouble" which is a dumb opinion on its own, buts at least its a different one!

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
mike is a dolt who gets off on listening to audio of people getting killed.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever
what's the best IOS podcast app? my android's battery poo poo the bed with the lights on a couple days ago, now I'm using an iphone 7 and the default podcasts app SUCKS

e: I used podcast addict which I guess isn't available in IOS?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm in a similar boat and went for Overcast, because it's free. It's a bit fiddly and I want more control over downloads but it works fine.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

padijun posted:

what's the best IOS podcast app? my android's battery poo poo the bed with the lights on a couple days ago, now I'm using an iphone 7 and the default podcasts app SUCKS

I went with Pocket Casts, which is available for both Android and iOS, offers seamless cloud sync, very powerful playlist tools and generally a lot of options.

Tried Overcast a few days ago and found their playlist/podcast management tools to be lacking for people that have a lot of podcasts.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Overcast is the best for audio quality and effects, but it does have some limitations.

I use it and it suits my needs.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Overcast works fine for me

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

padijun posted:

Dunno about best but I like Podcruncher.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I use overcast because I'm used to it, seems to me after trying a few that all the big ones are just as good as the others and it's just a matter of getting used to it. Unless you need something specific they're all just containers for a list of files and play/pause control.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
Speaking of overcast.
Does anybody know how to use the 'play next' function? The problem is if I add an episode with 'play next' it will not play next after the episode it is playing.
Instead, it seems to play either every other file that is been downloaded, or maybe files that I added with the 'play next' function a long time ago, and it remembers them all?

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Spaseman posted:

Are there any good alternate reality podcasts like Welcome to Nightvale that tell stories from a world not quite like ours?

You'd probably enjoy Archive 81? http://www.archive81.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spaseman posted:

The Black Tapes