Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tae posted:

I dunno why you're bagging on Derrick Favors, he was one of the best players last year and was only hampered this year due to injury.

It's more your assertion that the Jazz are 100% healthy and thus should be made fun of for not beating the Clippers who aren't anywhere as bad as you project them to be, even without Blake Griffin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/131082/bpi-playoff-chances-for-nba-teams
Will Lockback win his hubristic bet against me, a champion of the underdog

Will Chicago keep blowing it
Will The Bucks succumb to the NBA rigging the series and the losses were rigged I paid Bashez a fee to review every call
Will the Jazz hold their lead over the clippers????

Does anyone think the Grizzlies can beat the Spurs? I said before that its such a warped mirror man matchup that I don't want to call it, what do you all think?

This bet has been hella fun even though I literally bet on the Empire.

I feel like I've got 1 with Boston already and lost 1 with LAC. So right now the bet is Milwaukee vs Toronto, and I'm comfortable there.

I think the Clippers are falling apart at lightning speed. They probably don't make it past game 6.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Wasn't your bet made before Blake's injury? Because I think that gets a pass.

I know Raptors fans hate anytime he gets praise, but Casey switching the starting line-up to go and match small with the Bucks turned the series around hard.

Tae fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 26, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Tae posted:

Wasn't your bet made before Blake's injury? Because I think that gets a pass.

I know Raptors fans hate anytime he gets praise, but Casey switching the starting line-up to go and match small with the Bucks turned the series around hard.

It was made before Blake's and before we knew the extent of Gobert. We both called that one basically 50/50 though. The bet really needed 3 series to work.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I predicted the Clippers winning the title in a mess around bracket that turned into a contest, imagine how I feel.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rick posted:

I predicted the Clippers winning the title in a mess around bracket that turned into a contest, imagine how I feel.

It'll be weird seeing you with an avatar.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Maybe one of you dorks likes reading about the hot hand fallacy as much as I do

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Isiah Thomas kid was raped:
https://gma.yahoo.com/dj-zeke-thomas-reveals-raped-stars-sexual-assault-124452948--abc-news-celebrities.html

Carmelo Anthony's new SO revealed:
http://pagesix.com/2017/04/20/carmelo-anthonys-alleged-24-year-old-mistress-is-pregnant/

NickRoweFillea posted:

Eat chain joyboy

:lol:

chunkles posted:

Lou Williams is actually posting some seriously efficient games so far in the playoffs. I'd assumed he was shooting worse I guess because as a Rockets fan I've been brainwashed...

Best/worst shooting of the playoffs so far:

code:
NP	Player
51.88	Kawhi Leonard
28.44	Chris Paul
26.88	James Harden
25.32	Nene Hilario
25.12	Mike Conley
23.8	Stephen Curry
23.68	Gordon Hayward
22.84	John Wall
22.28	LeBron James
18.28	Norman Powell

-3.6	Khris Middleton
-3.6	Tim Hardaway
-3.64	Trevor Ariza
-3.84	Bojan Bogdanovic
-4.52	Myles Turner
-5.52	Ryan Anderson
-6.52	Zach Randolph
-7.96	Markieff Morris
-8.52	Maurice Harkless
-9.64	Victor Oladipo
Kawhi building up MVP votes by the day.

Tae posted:

The 1st season under Thibs. Are you one of those people that see the year as the end of the season instead of the beginning?

Yes. In the next few weeks millions of people will graduate from high school and they will be called "the class of 2017" even though school started last year.

Ultimately the age of the 2011 Bulls (Thibodeau's first year) was too young. They would've been the youngest team to win the title in NBA history (by some age measurements).

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I thought this was IT2.0 at first and my first thought was "jesus how much worse can it get?"

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Lmao "Bedside Manner" Zogo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

And to hedge of the LOL BUT RUSS WOULDN'T PASS TO HIM posts, dude got his shot attempts playing next to Kobe, I'm pretty sure he could do it with Russ too.

Kobe never dominated the ball as much as RW did this year. RW had nearly a 50% USG% in the playoffs.

If I had a time machine I'd like to see RW and MJ paired up on a 90s Bulls team to see what'd happen.

RaySmuckles posted:

you think they'll crush the jazz that easily?

GSW has the fourth highest SRS in NBA history. They're dominating. They're putting up numbers in playoff games that look like ASG numbers. Fifty point quarters in the playoffs.

Light years, megaparsecs, kelvins.

big boi posted:

Will Westbrook ever...stop jacking up bullshit bricks in critical moments of playoff games?

He will retire one day.

Overall, I think people are being overly critical of his play. I don't think he could've done anything to advance to the next round. The only reason the series was close was because HOU shot the 3 ball like it was year 1983. Something like 6for40 last night and they still won anyway. That's like Shaq shooting threes.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
The hot hand is real and it's my friend

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

All the responses are saying "serves em right for turning leftist" and I have no idea what they're talking about? Are they just mixing up neoliberal corporate identity politics with leftism? Or were there broadcasters on at 6pm saying that the next time there's a lockout the teams need to be nationalized and removed from the hands of greedy rentier billionaires? Their highlight shows at this point are basically reposting all the top reddit videos so I don't really know what purpose the network serves.

Basically. What's known as left in the US is known as centrist/slightly right in many other societies. "Left/right/center" is exceedingly opaque anyway.

Obama gets labelled as a leftist while he's vacationing with the biggest billionaires on the planet, appointing high level wall street executives to his cabinet/staff and taking millions of dollars in speaking fees from corporations.

It's always rich versus poor. They want you to think it's liberal versus conservative. They want you to think that it's an ideological war. The world is in a war between CLASSES. It's been happening for a LONG time. They want you to think it's about politics. It's not about politics. It's about money.

Don't believe these dirty politicians. They're just cosplaying in suits!

EvanTH posted:

Does anyone know what Westbrook's stats show if you remove the last 5 minutes of each game when his play turned into a head-in-hands watching-your-heroes-embarrass-themselves cringing monstrosity? I thought he looked great up until then, even though I do despise his pull-up jumper (beautiful form, extremely inaccurate)

Yes,

code:
02:46.0	OKC down 2 (104-106)	R. Westbrook misses 2-pt shot from 11 ft
01:30.0	OKC down 7 (94-101)	R. Westbrook misses 2-pt shot from 15 ft
00:34.0	OKC down 5 (103-108)	R. Westbrook misses 3-pt shot from 24 ft
00:36.0	OKC tied (111-111)	R. Westbrook misses 3-pt shot from 24 ft
00:23.0	OKC down 6 (108-114)	R. Westbrook misses 3-pt shot from 25 ft
01:23.0	OKC down 8 (104-112)	R. Westbrook misses 3-pt shot from 25 ft
02:10.0	OKC down 5 (104-109)	R. Westbrook misses 3-pt shot from 25 ft
01:38.0	OKC down 7 (94-101)	R. Westbrook misses 3-pt shot from 26 ft
00:34.0	OKC down 6 (108-114)	R. Westbrook misses 3-pt shot from 26 ft
00:28.0	OKC down 5 (103-108)	R. Westbrook misses 3-pt shot from 27 ft
00:09.0	OKC down 4 (107-111)	R. Westbrook misses 3-pt shot from 28 ft

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I love you Zogo

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Rick posted:

I'll believe in Grit and Grind until Zach Randolph is retired.

Rick you are my dude

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Doc Rivers has to be the most overrated coach in NBA history. God I hope Chris leaves LA and/or Doc gets loving fired.

I hope Utah wins game 6, I see it as a mercy killing. Furthermore the Warriors will absolutely coast to the WCF either way.

Winning a title is helped by having two of the best fifteen or so shooters in world history (Pierce and Allen). Although they did almost get bounced by ATL in the first round. That would've been bad.

Doc has been coasting on that title for a decade and people are starting to wake up and question it. His after game press conference are getting more exasperated. He's sweating, looking like a dude that Ballmer's about to put in front of the firing squad.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Wow ESPN fired a hundred loving people

I recognize one name out of all these. The news is so weird. Something like 160K people die everyday and then one-hundred narcissistic schmucks face the firing squad and they're doing a Twitter memorial service for themselves. :drat:

Ammanas posted:

what is a 2nd year rookie lol

I'm a virgin but I been fuckin all summer

People have different definitions especially between the sexes. Some girls say they're virgins when they've done everything BUT one thing. Then the guys take the opposite approach. Just because you've grabbed a boob or slapped a butt doesn't mean you're an expert, son.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Hmmm yesss hmmm interesting advanced numbers shame that the argument is instead decided with a single video clip that proves hot hand is real:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFSSaLB-4SA

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Zogobot has gone off the rails

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Leslie Alexander just got fined a cool $100,000 for getting up and talking to a ref

Dejan Bimble posted:

Does anyone think the Grizzlies can beat the Spurs? I said before that its such a warped mirror man matchup that I don't want to call it, what do you all think?

Anything is possible, it's the NBA

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Space Camp fuckup posted:

I love you Zogo

Time posted:

Zogobot has gone off the rails

He always makes sense to me :) I love the Zogobot even more that Vivek loves the Knightman

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

chunkles posted:

Leslie Alexander just got fined a cool $100,000 for getting up and talking to a ref

Owners have no business getting up to talk to refs during the game. Yell from your seat like everyone else that's not on the coaching staff or team.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
In reality though I think denying Hot Hand is denying that someone's psychological state might have an effect on their athletic performance, which seems an absurd claim to make.

What're the chances of Klay Thompson scoring 37 in a quarter if Hot Hand does not exist?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kenny Sears has died. Not a household name but in a three year period from 1958-1960 he was the best NBA shooter by far:

code:
NP 1958-1960 Player
453.36	     Kenny Sears
169.16	     Cliff Hagan
90.2	     Bob Pettit
71.96	     Larry Costello
71.92	     George Yardley
27.4	     Clyde Lovellette
27.32	     Bailey Howell
22.68	     Neil Johnston
22.4	     Hal Greer
15.88	     Larry Staverman
Before Wilt and Oscar there was Kenny.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Man Russ on/off stats for the playoffs were absolutely dire. A net ortg difference of -60.1 lmao vs. about +24 for Harden. I'm guessing Harden's on/off stats are hurt by Lou and Nene balling out.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

One of the best parts of rewatching this is seeing Gordon Hayward's "ah jeez really?" reactions to a dozen different fouls committed on him that the refs were never going to call in 10000 years

This is my favorite Hot Hand Truther video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyd4NPvzKQg

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Sears was one of the first dudes to introduce the Jump Shot to the NBA, yeah? He was taking jumpers while most of the league was still doing set shots?

leftist heap posted:

Man Russ on/off stats for the playoffs were absolutely dire. A net ortg difference of -60.1 lmao vs. about +24 for Harden. I'm guessing Harden's on/off stats are hurt by Lou and Nene balling out.

Matches up with what I was seeing. The Thunder were absolutely incompetent with him off the floor. They immediately lost leads the second he sat. Here's the link to the numbers:
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/westbru01/on-off/2017

edit: are you reading those numbers backwards? Am I?
OKC with Russ (all per 100, yeah?)
ORtng
On: 110.0
Off: 88.8
(+21.2 with Russ on)

Opp Ortng
On: 107.3
Off: 148.9 (holy loving poo poo)
(Opp team scores +41.6 more when Russ is off wow that can't be just his defense doing that? Is Kanter involved somehow?)
edit: thinking more about a possible explanation for this. Missing more shots leading to more Rockets Style Fast Breaks probably helps some too.

So OKC was +2.7 when Russ was on, and outscored by -60.1 with him off god drat

EvanTH fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 27, 2017

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

EvanTH posted:

In reality though I think denying Hot Hand is denying that someone's psychological state might have an effect on their athletic performance, which seems an absurd claim to make.

The argument is that there is (strong claim) no evidence or (weaker claim) miniscule evidence for the existence of hot hands in game data so it is rational to ignore hot hands since it has no (little) effect and the burden of proof has shifted to those who claim hot hands exist to provide evidence for their existence.

I don't want to discuss it here since it has been beaten to death, but I'll state for the record that I believe hot hands exists but also that there is no evidence aside from subjective observation that is not predictive.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Rockets bitch

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don't have time to read their papers atm so what do you make of Miller's claim (and by extension Sarjuro's) in the comment that their reanalysis of the GVT data shows that it supports a hot hand AND it being detectable by obersvers to the extent of allowing them to beat chance guessing shot results?

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

The argument is that there is (strong claim) no evidence or (weaker claim) miniscule evidence for the existence of hot hands in game data so it is rational to ignore hot hands since it has no (little) effect and the burden of proof has shifted to those who claim hot hands exist to provide evidence for their existence.

I don't want to discuss it here since it has been beaten to death, but I'll state for the record that I believe hot hands exists but also that there is no evidence aside from subjective observation that is not predictive.

Makes sense. Is the idea that there might be a difference in approach to in-game lineup adjustments if it could be definitively proven/disproven? Seems like a lot of coaches already allow a dude who's hit a few to take a "heat check" (aka Really Dumb Shot That Should Get You Benched Immediately) without much in the way of consequences, so people are already playing like it's proven?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

I enjoy reading about it, even, if I believe the hot hand is real and not fake like the others say.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

What're the chances of Klay Thompson scoring 37 in a quarter if Hot Hand does not exist?

It's just denying that confidence has a strong and consistent enough effect to explain observed game to game variation and be used to make better decisions. No one is denying the salience of psychology to sports more broadly. It just doesn't work like being On Fire in NBA Jam

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I choose to believe someday a player will literally catch on fire and destroy the opposition

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

Makes sense. Is the idea that there might be a difference in approach to in-game lineup adjustments if it could be definitively proven/disproven? Seems like a lot of coaches already allow a dude who's hit a few to take a "heat check" (aka Really Dumb Shot That Should Get You Benched Immediately) without much in the way of consequences, so people are already playing like it's proven?

Yes exactly, and not doing that should improve results over the long term (if it's replaced by taking good shots, obviously that part is complicated)

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

DeimosRising posted:

It just doesn't work like being On Fire in NBA Jam

My body is physically rejecting this assertion like an ABO incompatible kidney. Please take it back or I may die

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

EvanTH posted:

My body is physically rejecting this assertion like an ABO incompatible kidney. Please take it back or I may die

I would take it but i am equally incompatible with that particular kidney

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

NickRoweFillea posted:

Rick you are my dude

YOur relentless belief in the Griz is what helped get me into them.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

EvanTH posted:

I wish I could but if Josef Isolatin didn't burst into flames in the 4th then there is no chance The Literally On Fire Effect is real

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
It's invisible fire you can only see if you have beheld the light of the trees of Valinor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I am personally glad the Grizz exist because the Pacers are doing their best to salt the earth of my fandom.

• Locked thread