Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Sarkazm posted:

What's up, Kitty?

Rick from FFSC? Or is he a VA guy? If he's FFSC I know him well. The guy we have here in SD (Carlton) is pretty legit. Knows his stuff and gives good presentation.

And don't sweat the beard. Get a 'hook over your ears' type. I receommend them to all my 'facial hair challenged' friends. Hell, at my retirement ceremony, everyone wore fake 'staches, including my kids, my gf, my mom, aunt and grandma.

Obligatory term lance beard reference here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not black enough
Oct 14, 2004

LingcodKilla posted:

Obligatory term lance beard reference here.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Not false.

Also, Rick is a TPU guy. Retired CPO, fat, bearded, the works. He gives a "How to get your due" class, unofficially, to folks outprocessing in WA. It's a great class, probably because it's entirely just his experience and off the record. Nothing official at all. TGPS sucked rear end and was so far useless. Rick is awesome (even if he did scare me out of smoking weed in WA, and now I'm in TX where it will never be available.)

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Sarkazm posted:

Hey ladies, you probably don't remember me, but I stalked these forums a few years ago as a disgruntled and very bored Chief. You shits even wrote me a NAM for my retirement that is still on my dresser at home. Anyway, I'm back.

So, here's the skinny. I'm retired, bearded up, keep my hands in pockets at all times and don't give two shits if you vape on ships. More importantly is this: The reason I'm here. I worked for almost two years after retirement as a Dept of Labor Employment Workshop Facilitator and now work at a Fleet and Family Service Center in the San Diego area where I help military peeps learn how to be people again. If you have questions about transition, job searches, LinkedIn, interviews, resumes, and just life in general after EAOS, ask and I'll answer to the best of my ability.

If you've ever been in one of my TGPS classes, I'd like to apologize right now because you're probably homeless.

Ayyyy I'm an NC eligible for retirement in a few years. How do I get your job? I want to be in San Diego also.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I mean I get TGPS sucks and I sure as hell didn't wanna do it but some people really need that. Transitioning out can be hard but I am not sure how much they could better facilitate it honestly. Some dudes never had a real job and are country bumpkins--they really need all that poo poo. It may seem so elementary to us, but yeah.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean I get TGPS sucks and I sure as hell didn't wanna do it but some people really need that. Transitioning out can be hard but I am not sure how much they could better facilitate it honestly. Some dudes never had a real job and are country bumpkins--they really need all that poo poo. It may seem so elementary to us, but yeah.

TGPS does suck but you can use the time to think about some stuff maybe you've been kicking down the road or haven't thought about. Bring your own laptop and work on resume or job/school research. Some of the activities are stupid and you will have to do them but overall it's not that bad. Nice break away from your command if your work environment is toxic or overbearing.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Howard Phillips posted:

TGPS does suck but you can use the time to think about some stuff maybe you've been kicking down the road or haven't thought about. Bring your own laptop and work on resume or job/school research. Some of the activities are stupid and you will have to do them but overall it's not that bad. Nice break away from your command if your work environment is toxic or overbearing.

It also counts as active time, so you can block it in between two leave blocks like you would PTDY/Househunting entitlement to make that sep leave even longer.

I used this to begin my away time in July but actually got out in November

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

DustyNuts posted:

Ayyyy I'm an NC eligible for retirement in a few years. How do I get your job? I want to be in San Diego also.

Talk to one of us when you start getting close (3-4 months from out availability) to find out who has the contract. Right now its AFSC (Armed Forces Services Corporation), but it could change in a few years. Keep checking the company site for career opportunities.

Also, come talk to us. Endear yourself to us. Make us like you. Referrals go a loooong way around here.

To those saying TGPS Sucks, I can only say this: You're right. It does. One, its dry rear end subject matter. It sucks to teach and no one wants to hear it. I get it. Another issue is that many instructors just plain old suck. Hopefully you get good people, not just TGPS, but also the VA, EDD, PFMs, and DOL facilitators. I personally think we have a pretty damned good group over here in Coronado, but I'm also biased. If something sucks, tell us. If its within our power to change it, we will. Just understand that a lot of what we have to do and say and require from you is out of our hands. Its determined by DoD 1332.35 and DoN INST 1900.2C along with the Career Readiness Standards, or CRS. With luck you learn something. Worst case? You're not at work.

EDITED for typos

Sarkazm fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 20, 2017

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
I need some advice on how to maximize getting out of work with roughly 6.5 months until I'm able to start terminal leave. I've enrolled for TGPS and although it's gay and boring, I plan on enrolling again because it's a one week vacation. Am I required to redo the assignments if I do it again or can I just recycle old poo poo?

My buddies have said go to Fleet and Family Service Centers and sign up for as much of that poo poo as I can- need help making a budget? How to tie your shoe? But really, what else can I add to make me the least productive dirtbag possible? I have been going to physical therapy for the better part of a year, so I should probably kick it up a notch to make sure I get disability.

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

germskr posted:

I need some advice on how to maximize getting out of work with roughly 6.5 months until I'm able to start terminal leave. I've enrolled for TGPS and although it's gay and boring, I plan on enrolling again because it's a one week vacation. Am I required to redo the assignments if I do it again or can I just recycle old poo poo?

My buddies have said go to Fleet and Family Service Centers and sign up for as much of that poo poo as I can- need help making a budget? How to tie your shoe? But really, what else can I add to make me the least productive dirtbag possible? I have been going to physical therapy for the better part of a year, so I should probably kick it up a notch to make sure I get disability.

"Do I need to redo assignments?" - Nope. bring your old stuff.

" How to dirtbag?" -Take as many of the available classe as you can. don't wanna go to college or start your own business? Who cares. take Accessing Higher (420, bro!) Education and Boots2Business. Take the resume workshops, Interview Skills, whatever. Your local FFSC will have dates and times for the classes.

EDITed to add: If the first TGPS you went to sucked, go to a different base if that's an option. Different people, different instructors, different styles and info. If another base isn't an option, then just cross your fingers. The FFSC people may not change, but the DOL folks do. When I did that gig, I never taught the same place twice in a row.

Sarkazm fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 20, 2017

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
Also, y'all that are still in need to look into SkillBridge. 6 months of TAD learning to work for a non-govt company, while the Navy still pays you. It's a real thing and no one talks about it. http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2015/NAV15222.txt

Sarkazm - being trapped in Japan for TGPS is awful. The FFSC folks are out of touch, we rarely have an actual VA rep (usually just someone they send out to read us the book.) And good luck going to another base. I went three times while there. I'm just bitter because it's so freaking hard to outprocess from there and they really don't have a lot of advice (surprisingly) on how to apply for jobs or schools from overseas.

Also, my class was 3/4 dudes with ARIs getting booted. They gave no fucks. I wish ReTap still existed.

Edit because folks are asking: This is legit, really.

https://dodskillbridge.com/

poopkitty fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 21, 2017

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

poopkitty posted:

Also, y'all that are still in need to look into SkillBridge. 6 months of TAD learning to work for a non-govt company, while the Navy still pays you. It's a real thing and no one talks about it. http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/messages/Documents/NAVADMINS/NAV2015/NAV15222.txt

Sarkazm - being trapped in Japan for TGPS is awful. The FFSC folks are out of touch, we rarely have an actual VA rep (usually just someone they send out to read us the book.) And good luck going to another base. I went three times while there. I'm just bitter because it's so freaking hard to outprocess from there and they really don't have a lot of advice (surprisingly) on how to apply for jobs or schools from overseas.

Also, my class was 3/4 dudes with ARIs getting booted. They gave no fucks. I wish ReTap still existed.

Edit because folks are asking: This is legit, really.

https://dodskillbridge.com/

Skillbridge is very legit, if you can get it. Many of the bases (even San Diego, surprisingly) don't support it much. The Army and Marine Corps are all over that stuff, though. Fort Irwin outside of Barstow actually has offices and training areas for some of the employers on the base. On the downside though, you're at Fort Irwin... That place is a Raider Gang and a couple of Death Claws shy of being Fallout New Vegas...

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Got my verbals to the LPD 26. Was told I'll be there in May. So uh *looks at calendar* cool beans.

P.s. I doubt I'll actually be there in May.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

squarerandom posted:

Got my verbals to the LPD 26. Was told I'll be there in May. So uh *looks at calendar* cool beans.

P.s. I doubt I'll actually be there in May.

I'm sorry.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

:(

Care to elaborate?

squarerandom fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 24, 2017

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Workups are gay

Com2ex is gay

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Woo. Got a job working at Bangor as a dirty civilian computer janitor.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Woo. Got a job working at Bangor as a dirty civilian computer janitor.

:hf: good job, now you get to do the same poo poo you do for the navy for 3x the pay.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

orange juche posted:

:hf: good job, now you get to do the same poo poo you do for the navy for 3x the pay.

But I dont get to wear a snazzy uniform while doing it!!!

Better dust off all my Hawaiin shirts. Havent had a job that didnt require a uniform uh.... ever.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

squarerandom posted:

:(

Care to elaborate?

LPDs are notoriously poorly built. Over worked crew. Maybe 26 is better. But 17 - 21 was hosed from the get go.

Sorry about sums it. What rate/rank?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Thronde posted:

LPDs are notoriously poorly built. Over worked crew. Maybe 26 is better. But 17 - 21 was hosed from the get go.

Yeah even as a Marine on a ship I can see that the crew are worked to death and constantly undermanned in critical rates.

I have a good time watching movies in my office while they run around trying to fix stuff for our MCI though.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 11, 2017

DinosaurWarfare
Apr 27, 2010

Thronde posted:

This is the first time I've heard this about LPD's. All the DDG Sailors I knew (BM's, IT's) couldn't stop telling me about how much better the LPD was and how they wanted to go back.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

DinosaurWarfare posted:

This is the first time I've heard this about LPD's. All the DDG Sailors I knew (BM's, IT's) couldn't stop telling me about how much better the LPD was and how they wanted to go back.

The LPDs when I was on 18 were reason for a large part of sailors separating. It may have gotten better since.

Also, thanks a million to ManMythLegend for his Lola's recommendation. This place is amazing. Didn't feel adventurous enough for the leaping lizard but yeah shits good.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Thronde posted:

CTT3(possibly picking up 2nd?)

My buddy whose a CTR loved it on a LPD, so who knows. But I did find out they have a grip of CTTs on board already so who knows. I'll report back after I get aboard :shrug:

On an unleaded note, I made hazelnut coffee at my NOSC and my department hated it. Mhmm a whole pot of coffee.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

squarerandom posted:

CTT3(possibly picking up 2nd?)

My buddy whose a CTR loved it on a LPD, so who knows. But I did find out they have a grip of CTTs on board already so who knows. I'll report back after I get aboard :shrug:

On an unleaded note, I made hazelnut coffee at my NOSC and my department hated it. Mhmm a whole pot of coffee.

Flavored coffees are crap though? :confused:

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Because the flavoring is used to cover up the fact the beans are trash.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

orange juche posted:

Flavored coffees are crap though? :confused:

Free coffee is still coffee. But yeah has a weird after taste. But whatever, just waiting on the orders.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I like NOSC Kitsap.

Much much better than Alameda.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yoooo I would have loved these

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Coffee is poo poo and I only ever drank it for the sweet, sweet caffeine. Also because I wasn't gonna pay the loving FCPO or CPO organizations a loving red cent to buy energy drinks underway.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Thronde posted:

The LPDs when I was on 18 were reason for a large part of sailors separating. It may have gotten better since.

Also, thanks a million to ManMythLegend for his Lola's recommendation. This place is amazing. Didn't feel adventurous enough for the leaping lizard but yeah shits good.

:hfive:

Also, with respect to SAN ANTONIOs, personally I really hate the class and think they're sort of a dumpster fire but they have improved dramatically in the last few years. Depending on your rate it may not be all that bad. God help you if you're an engineer, ICman, or IT though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Also since we're talking orders chat I just got a verbal to head to Fort Meade. Time for me to be officially stationed at Navy Nerd HQ.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Triple post, but gently caress it.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Yoooo I would have loved these

You are forgetting about God's one, true, Navy jogging suit:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Triple post, but gently caress it.

You are forgetting about God's one, true, Navy jogging suit:

These were terrible in every single way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Coffee chat: Found out our coffee mess requires a memorandum to be submitted a full day prior for anyone to actually make loving coffee.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Ron Jeremy posted:

These were terrible in every single way.

I know. I still fondly wear mine at Army-Navy parties along with my blue rims. :allears:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

I know. I still fondly wear mine at Army-Navy parties along with my blue rims. :allears:

I wore them once in this same way. Have a West Point jacket too that i acquired along the way. It's way nicer.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Godholio posted:

Coffee chat: Found out our coffee mess requires a memorandum to be submitted a full day prior for anyone to actually make loving coffee.

Have you tried mumbling "gently caress the police" while brewing coffee whenever you drat well please? That seemed to work when I was in.

Same thing with loving sonar techs 'cleaning' the heads (playing on their loving DS's) trying to tell me I can't shower when i've got 4 hours to catch sleep before I need to be on watch again.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Don't be a bitch go use the LL head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Have you tried mumbling "gently caress the police" while brewing coffee whenever you drat well please? That seemed to work when I was in.

Same thing with loving sonar techs 'cleaning' the heads (playing on their loving DS's) trying to tell me I can't shower when i've got 4 hours to catch sleep before I need to be on watch again.

Pretty much this, if anyone busts your balls over the coffee mess 24 thing they are a massive cockbag with a serious anal blockage.