Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Ultima66 posted:

Different games have different sets of resources, news at 11.

Like you can't just equate 1 cost draw 3 cards in different games to each other when one of them is 1 cost USE AN ACTION and the other is just 1 cost with no other caveats. There's a supporter in Pokemon that's draw 3, and there's no cost to playing supporters so you could call it 0 mana Draw 3, except it's not and the card is unplayable because the game works totally differently (you can only play 1 supporter a turn and there's way more powerful card drawing on supporters than just draw 3 cards).

People to this day think the Pokémon TCG was meant to be Magic-lite because they think that the card game was created by Wizards because of maybe two or three similar gameplay elements or rules. I remember magazines comparing Professor Oak to Wheel of Fortune in 1999.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Doesn't elves play or at least sideboard thoughtseize?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

80s James Hetfield posted:

What can you play in legacy that doesnt have PW, Discard, Counters, Mill?

any deck that isn't blue or black. In addition to Elves and Burn Gideon AoZ is nowhere near essential in D&T

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

TheChirurgeon posted:

I've been in MTGO games where playing an plasm capture resulted in me being called an rear end in a top hat and followed by a concession

I keep running into this kind of stuff in MTGO commander, my favorite was the guy who scooped to me playing a non buyback Forbid as the last card out of my hand with no damage sources on the board.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

clamiam45 posted:

Doesn't elves play or at least sideboard thoughtseize?

Yeah they sideboard Thoughtseize and Cabal Therapy but lol if you think you're making it to a game 2 against someone that demands to be allowed to goldfish their bad deck.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

TheChirurgeon posted:

I've been in MTGO games where playing an plasm capture resulted in me being called an rear end in a top hat and followed by a concession

Mana drain outside of vintage is pretty rude.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Star Man posted:

People to this day think the Pokémon TCG was meant to be Magic-lite because they think that the card game was created by Wizards because of maybe two or three similar gameplay elements or rules. I remember magazines comparing Professor Oak to Wheel of Fortune in 1999.

to be fair, Professor Oak was a house, and even better than WoF

KenBearlLOLOL posted:

I keep running into this kind of stuff in MTGO commander, my favorite was the guy who scooped to me playing a non buyback Forbid as the last card out of my hand with no damage sources on the board.

This is one of the reasons I stopped playing MTGO outside of drafts. It's like every casual game is populated by EDH players

Pontius Pilate posted:

Mana drain outside of vintage is pretty rude.

can't tell if serious but god forbid I run mystic snake or plasm capture in my joke-rear end blue-green ramp deck

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Translation: bgh nr 20min no lag.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

Translation: bgh nr 20min no lag.

Mill is also a really weird thing to include on that list. It's like someone said bgh nr20 no lag no scouts

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
*queues up with belcher*

"No counterspells or discard"

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Elyv posted:

Mill is also a really weird thing to include on that list. It's like someone said bgh nr20 no lag no scouts

maybe they just don't like grindstone or high tide

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Elyv posted:

lol like people scouted in 2000

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Star Man posted:

lol like people scouted in 2000

I meant the unit

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

If you're going to complain about people playing the game and trying to win you might as well tell people that you'll only play if they start the game with zero cards and you start the game with a storm count of 10 with Tendrils in hand and 4 black floating. Or literally just transform into a toddler and demand that they let you win.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
What the heck is this pile of nonsense?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
2 Monastery Swiftspear is what really got me.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Will modo last?

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
My favorite thing about MTGO is the tournament practice room. I went there to test Saheeli/Marvel after not liking Mardu anymore and it was clearly just casual people not interested in playing tournaments ever. In 20 matches I played 1 Mardu and 19 BW jank and all in energy aggro lists. When I finally got in the queue, guess what I played? All Saheeli and Mardu, no exceptions.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is one of the reasons I stopped playing MTGO outside of drafts. It's like every casual game is populated by EDH players

Thankfully for me my second favorite thing in magic is harvesting edh player tears, and the easiest targets tend to advertise with things like "tribal only" or "no combo/unfair LD".

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Boxman posted:

As with the other person starting out, how he plays is important here. If he's looking to start playing at his local FNM, then yeah just go with Amonkhet, the newest set.

If he's strictly playing kitchen table magic with his friends though, I'll go against the grain and say it's very possible a slightly older set would be better. Does he like dragons? He's a 12 year old boy playing a fantasy game in a casual setting, of course he does! Buy a box of Dragons of Tarkir. Do you know if he really likes playing one or two color pairs? Get him a box of RTR or Gatecrash that'll have lots of support for that guild. Getting much older than that and you end up with much more expensive boxes, unfortunately, but if a recent set speaks to his interests, I'd go for that rather than whatever is newest. And if he does decide to get a bit more serious down the road you can start looking at singles. Whatever he pulls out of a single box of Amonkhet isn't going to make for a great standard deck anyway.

Opening a box of boosters is a way more fun gift than having a deck handed to you.

It's mostly just our family and friends, he doesn't want to do FNM yet until he knows the rules better.

I know a box of boosters is stupid from a money standpoint, but I think it's more fun.

RembrandtQEinstein posted:

Wholeheartedly agree with this post. If they want to play competitive Magic, then buy some important singles (as well as packs, because opening packs is really fun).

Just playing with friends for fun? A duel deck plus some packs, or one of the boxes suggested above based on interest (steampunk? Go Kaladesh. Egypt? Amonkhet. Cosmic horror? Shadows over Innistrad).

I remember being 12, it's generally about being competitive amongst your friends as opposed to FNM or REL stuff.

He's a pretty competitive kid, so at some point I'll bet he'll get into the scene, but for now it's me, his mom, him and his little sister playing.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Leylines, Goblins (original image said no tribals), D&T (Gideon isn't essential), belcher, breakfast burrito, dragon stompy, lands (assuming self mill is ok), maybe stax? I think Spanish Inquisition doesn't have discard main, though I assume it at least has some therapies in the side.

kirtar fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 26, 2017

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DigitalMocking posted:

It's mostly just our family and friends, he doesn't want to do FNM yet until he knows the rules better.

I know a box of boosters is stupid from a money standpoint, but I think it's more fun.

He's a pretty competitive kid, so at some point I'll bet he'll get into the scene, but for now it's me, his mom, him and his little sister playing.

A box of boosters is fine for what you're doing. Anyone telling a TWELVE YEAR OLD to invest in singles is a buffoon.

Best part of a box of boosters is there's 6 sealed decks ready to go right there (a twelve year old prob won't have the patience for this either though).

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Rinkles posted:

Will modo last?

Andrew Cuneo vs Brennan deCandio?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Will modo last?

I love the goofy picture of the Torrential Gearhulk masterpiece :allears:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

YggdrasilTM posted:

I love the goofy picture of the Torrential Gearhulk masterpiece :allears:

Ah yes, Low Water Pressure Gearhulk.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

In fairness, it is an incredibly Mardu list.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Dehtraen posted:

Andrew Cuneo vs Brennan deCandio?

Yes. This is what the board eventually looked like

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

1. Play spells
2. ???
3. Profit

Sampatrick posted:

2 Monastery Swiftspear is what really got me.

Yeah that seems weird

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

I want Cuneo to land four Coat of Arms and cast Soulblast.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Haha, these are actual MTGO people

I love these guys, but the one which always gets me is 'no tribal'. I just cannot fathom the logic.

Big shout out to Mr "STILL MUTED FOR HARASSING NON GREETERS IF YOU DON'T GREET I WILL CURSE AT YOU AND TIME OUT"

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

mossyfisk posted:

I love these guys, but the one which always gets me is 'no tribal'. I just cannot fathom the logic.

Big shout out to Mr "STILL MUTED FOR HARASSING NON GREETERS IF YOU DON'T GREET I WILL CURSE AT YOU AND TIME OUT"

These are the same people that would vote to ban you if you didn't use the bow emote before a lightsaber fight in Jedi Knight 2.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Rinkles posted:

"You are gonna take a lot of damage if your ever run out of fogs"

:laffo:

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Rinkles posted:

You I want this decklist bad. Is there a video of this match?

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

C-Euro posted:

1. Play spells
2. ???
3. Profit

Yeah that seems weird

I needed a budget-ish modern deck because of the death of standard so I put this together roughly. I had a large swath of the cards for a version of this still laying around from their times in standard, minus the enemy fetches and the b/r fastlands. It's actually not bad for the type of pile it is. I run four Swiftspear because any less is just stupid.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Both decks seem pretty bad.

Fair warning, the guy is really bitter about Saheeli still being in the format, might not be your cup of tea

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/138269679?t=02h23m48s

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

https://mobile.twitter.com/BDecandio7/status/857333821578129410

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Felidar Guardian just got emergency banned.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/addendum-april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-26

e:f,b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
lol http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/addendum-april-24-2017-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2017-04-26